ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone in Hawaii now? Can you post any lounge food pics or menus? Just wondering if it's close to what is was like in 2009. thanks

Saturday: egg rolls and chicken skewers
Sunday: baked Brie and chicken skewers
Monday: California rolls and tuna sashimi
Tuesday: Conch fritters and a veggie wrap

I don't know what we will have tonight but everything has been great so far.

Saturday: egg rolls and chicken skewers Sunday: baked Brie and chicken skewers Monday: California rolls and tuna sashimi Tuesday: Conch fritters and a veggie wrap I don't know what we will have tonight but everything has been great so far.

Hhmm the only day that matches the menu i saw is Monday.

Hi - We will be heading to WDW soon and have been thinking that we would love to be able to return in the Fall for the Food and Wine Festival. We have not stayed at the Polynesian in decades and are hopeful that a "bounce back" offer might allow us to once again be able to stay at the Polynesian. We travel with our two little granddaughters and a monorail resort would be a wonderful choice plus we have always LOVED the Polynesian.

My concern is that I have been reading about construction and it seems that the construction may have an impact on folks staying at the Polynesian through this Fall. Our other choices are either the Beach or Yacht Club (never stayed at either so do not have much info on these).

Would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts from folks....

:thanks:

Hi - We will be heading to WDW soon and have been thinking that we would love to be able to return in the Fall for the Food and Wine Festival. We have not stayed at the Polynesian in decades and are hopeful that a "bounce back" offer might allow us to once again be able to stay at the Polynesian. We travel with our two little granddaughters and a monorail resort would be a wonderful choice plus we have always LOVED the Polynesian.

My concern is that I have been reading about construction and it seems that the construction may have an impact on folks staying at the Polynesian through this Fall. Our other choices are either the Beach or Yacht Club (never stayed at either so do not have much info on these).

Would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts from folks....

:thanks:

I would think about how "park heavy" your touring is going to be and how many trips you think you will take to the magic kingdom. How old are the kids? My family absolutely loves the Yacht club, but we are the magic kingdom family. It is a solid 30 minute bus ride, plus waiting for the bus. Driving doesn't help because you have to park at the TTC and take the monorail. By the time you go back for a nap, one day going back and forth twice to the magic kingdom just fizzles the magic.

The tropical theme really doesn't appeal to me, (gives me anxiety actually) but we are picking staying at the poly just because of the ease of travel.

Construction at the Polynesian as relayed to me by Disney is only slated for the area around Sunset Point currently. The changes to the GCH remain limited to the Wyland Galleries closure. I have raised concerns over pool closures to anyone I can speak to at Disney - all of which I have documented - and they have all indicated that the pools should not be impacted during our stay (July 2014). I understand some people will be skeptical and that is justified. At some point you have to have some faith that information you get from Disney is credible at the risk of fraudulent conveyance.

We love the Poly and especially enjoy the pools. We do not want any disruption during our stay and will continue to check the status of construction. Of course, Disney reserves the right to do what they want to do, but taking their main pool offline during its peak use does not make a lot of sense.

If anyone has information to the contrary, I would welcome it assuming it's from a credible source.

Construction at the Polynesian as relayed to me by Disney is only slated for the area around Sunset Point currently. The changes to the GCH remain limited to the Wyland Galleries closure. I have raised concerns over pool closures to anyone I can speak to at Disney - all of which I have documented - and they have all indicated that the pools should not be impacted during our stay (July 2014). I understand some people will be skeptical and that is justified. At some point you have to have some faith that information you get from Disney is credible at the risk of fraudulent conveyance.

We love the Poly and especially enjoy the pools. We do not want any disruption during our stay and will continue to check the status of construction. Of course, Disney reserves the right to do what they want to do, but taking their main pool offline during its peak use does not make a lot of sense.

If anyone has information to the contrary, I would welcome it assuming it's from a credible source.

I assume you are saying my sources at Disney are not credible.

They were correct when years ago they said construction would start on DVC in September 2013 or that the GCH and the Neverland Club would be redesigned (which there are permits now out to prove). They were correct when they said Tahiti and Rapa Nui would not get the new room design even when the official schedule said they would be done in 2013.

If you think it is just spreading rumor and speculation I am happy to keep it to myself. I don't want to cause any anger or frustration. I just want people to be prepared for what those who are involved in the project are saying.

I am PRAAAYING you are right!!! :worship::worship:

I assume you are saying my sources at Disney are not credible.

They were correct when years ago they said construction would start on DVC in September 2013 or that the GCH and the Neverland Club would be redesigned (which there are permits now out to prove). They were correct when they said Tahiti and Rapa Nui would not get the new room design even when the official schedule said they would be done in 2013.

If you think it is just spreading rumor and speculation I am happy to keep it to myself. I don't want to cause any anger or frustration. I just want people to be prepared for what those who are involved in the project are saying.

I can only speak for myself, but THANK YOU for all you do. I was (yes was) booked at Poly GV CL for August, I even got an upgrade to LV CL. I did touch base with the IPO who had a lovely CM from the Poly call me(referred to her as construction manager). I think her role is more of room assignor, and keeping tabs on the rooms/parts of the resort which are affected. She was extremely forthcoming regarding the pool closure and how the entire resort was being affected. Overall, we decided not to chance it and move to Beach Club. So, I for one have spoken with a direct source at the Poly, and as a DISer I have found your sources to be accurate.
Sorry to pop-in on the thread, but I had to comment :flower3:

Preach it Tikiman! Your information has always proven to be true and the changes that we are now seeing come to life- you very accurately informed us about a long time ago! Thank you!! I do have a funny confession though- this May when part of the beach was blocked off we all thought it was just beach/ sand movement. We were staying in CL at the time and after my dad talked to the CL staff and construction workers, he confirmed that it was actually the fire pit being put in. He never let's us forget that for one day he was the tiki expert! I think we all wish we were the "Tikiman"!

Preach it Tikiman! Your information has always proven to be true and the changes that we are now seeing come to life- you very accurately informed us about a long time ago! Thank you!! I do have a funny confession though- this May when part of the beach was blocked off we all thought it was just beach/ sand movement. We were staying in CL at the time and after my dad talked to the CL staff and construction workers, he confirmed that it was actually the fire pit being put in. He never let's us forget that for one day he was the tiki expert! I think we all wish we were the "Tikiman"!

I remember that time. I had Polynesian staff emailing me asking what was happening on the beach. Some speculated it was replacement of the sand (which happens from time to time). It is difficult keeping up with all the changes over the last few years. Things change that were in the official plans (behind the scenes) and once they do people just assume it was bad info. I reported years ago the hot tub was going in and it was scheduled 4 different times to start work but was pushed off for one reason or another. It was not bad info, it just changed. Even the GCH work has been planned for 4 or 5 years now and now it is finally going to happen. The pool was going to start this month and was pushed off to May and maybe gets pushed off again. All I can do is use sources I trust and share what I can. I don’t make this stuff up and I don’t go off rumors from people at Disney that are not in the loop.

If your dad wants the job I may give it to him ;)

I remember that time. I had Polynesian staff emailing me asking what was happening on the beach. Some speculated it was replacement of the sand (which happens from time to time). It is difficult keeping up with all the changes over the last few years. Things change that were in the official plans (behind the scenes) and once they do people just assume it was bad info. I reported years ago the hot tub was going in and it was scheduled 4 different times to start work but was pushed off for one reason or another. It was not bad info, it just changed. Even the GCH work has been planned for 4 or 5 years now and now it is finally going to happen. The pool was going to start this month and was pushed off to May and maybe gets pushed off again. All I can do is use sources I trust and share what I can. I don’t make this stuff up and I don’t go off rumors from people at Disney that are not in the loop.

If your dad wants the job I may give it to him ;)

Tikiman, we appreciate you and your wonderful tips and advice! You take time out of your life to help us! We do trust you and your sources ... You have a proven track record... THANK YOU FOR YOUR DEVOTION TO OUR BELOVED POLYNESIAN RESORT!!!
I'm still praying :worship: they push the construction back though! Lol :laughing:

I also want to add that we should (myself included) all be so thankful to stay so well informed! The Poly is a very expensive hotel no matter how you cut it and I can't imagine walking into all of the refurbs without knowing in advance. After much discussion we are staying in June but we know how "bad" it could potentially be. To me that's invaluable. Another thank you to Tikiman- your updates are always in our disney planning conversations. My family owes you many lapu lapu's for our Poly music and updates!

I'm not taking a shot at anyone personally nor am I challenging the credibility of anyone on the boards. I'm new here and would like to see the most accurate and timely information possible. I'm just sharing the information I have and will continue to post what I believe to be true. I hope others will do the same so we can all come up with a way to make the most of a stay at a place we clearly all hold in high regard (otherwise we wouldn't take the time to post our thoughts).

I would think about how "park heavy" your touring is going to be and how many trips you think you will take to the magic kingdom. How old are the kids? My family absolutely loves the Yacht club, but we are the magic kingdom family. It is a solid 30 minute bus ride, plus waiting for the bus. Driving doesn't help because you have to park at the TTC and take the monorail. By the time you go back for a nap, one day going back and forth twice to the magic kingdom just fizzles the magic. The tropical theme really doesn't appeal to me, (gives me anxiety actually) but we are picking staying at the poly just because of the ease of travel.

Granddaughter are 5 and 1.5 and you are right- we will be at the MK more than anyplace else

Thanks!!

One persons opinion does not speak for the rest of us..
People, who like me, impatiently wait for breaking news on the Poly- how it will impact our trips..

I for one appreciate you, your knowledge, and the fact you share your information with the rest of us.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter