ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
We checked in at the Poly yesterday. Its beautiful!! Had breakfast at kona and dinner at Ohana and both were very good experiences. We also spent sometime in downtown at ghiradelli and candy co. dde0a

We are in the Fiji building first floor with the view of the volcano and water. Its awesome.

We checked in at the Poly yesterday. Its beautiful!! Had breakfast at kona and dinner at Ohana and both were very good experiences. We also spent sometime in downtown at ghiradelli and candy co. dde0a

We are in the Fiji building first floor with the view of the volcano and water. Its awesome.

Kona is my dd favorite places for lunch. We will not be staying at poly for our upcoming trip but will definitely visit.

Sounds like a nice location you have.

Have a great trip:goodvibes

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I think the last I read, the volcano pool is closing in May. Any idea how long it will be down? Trying to plan our usual end of August trip and wondering what'll be happening then with the pool and resort wide. Thanks!

I can't find info on this... :surfweb: Need my morning coffee when I get out of bed. Is there a coffee maker in the room? What type? Kuerig? Tassimo? Brew type Please anyone :worship:

I can't find info on this... :surfweb: Need my morning coffee when I get out of bed. Is there a coffee maker in the room? What type? Kuerig? Tassimo? Brew type Please anyone :worship:

A quick Google search told me that the coffee makers are the Cuisinart dual cup pod type. Also in post #3 on this thread it mentions coffee makers in the rooms but not the type.

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I think the last I read, the volcano pool is closing in May. Any idea how long it will be down? Trying to plan our usual end of August trip and wondering what'll be happening then with the pool and resort wide. Thanks!

From everything I've seen it's supposed to be a long term closure, i.e. for the better part of a year (complete re-theming, addition of a kids' splash area, etc). So if it goes down in May it would be doubtful it would be open again by August, providing the scope of the project doesn't change, which with Disney is always a possibility ... Keep in mind though there is always the quiet pool and if the main pool is closed they will provide a boat launch over to the GF so you can use their pool.

We loved Tokelau too, but now I'm afraid to request it for August. So I requested the other side of the resort. However I'll be reading people's experience about construction and see how things are closer to August. We stayed in Tokelau our first poly stay, on west side, beach end. I thought it was perfect. And a balcony is important to me.

Tokelau is our favorite, stayed there 4 times. We stay 1st floor, we've stayed twice on the east side, twice on the west. I think I'm still going to request it, but specifically west side.

We'll be there that week as well...looking forward to a relaxing Poly trip! 69 days & counting for me!

:thumbsup2

Tokelau is our favorite, stayed there 4 times. We stay 1st floor, we've stayed twice on the east side, twice on the west. I think I'm still going to request it, but specifically west side.

:thumbsup2

Maybe you can PM me and let me know how it was? :goodvibes. I'm so torn! And we'll be there 2 weeks, so location will be important.

From everything I've seen it's supposed to be a long term closure, i.e. for the better part of a year (complete re-theming, addition of a kids' splash area, etc). So if it goes down in May it would be doubtful it would be open again by August, providing the scope of the project doesn't change, which with Disney is always a possibility ... Keep in mind though there is always the quiet pool and if the main pool is closed they will provide a boat launch over to the GF so you can use their pool.

Thank you! I think I might make alternate plans this year, though it breaks my heart to do so. My kids are complete theme pool rats, and would miss their volcano slide terribly. Can't help longing for my Poly though. :(

I want to stay in a monorail resort, my mom has MS and I'm trying to get somewhere close and easy to the parks for her. I'm not 100% in love with Grand Floridian, it doesn't exactly thrill me, but Poly looks like an experience in itself. I think it will be a good fit for us.

I have a few questions I hope you guys can help us with.

How comfy are the beds? My mom and I recently went on vacation and the beds were hard as rocks and made it difficult to sleep. We like really soft beds.

What is the best building to stay at for easy transport to other parks? Should we stay closer to the monorail or the TTC?

My mom will probably explore the parks in the morning and head back around 2 or 3 for the rest of the day. What are some things we can do at the hotel without going back out to the park?

Any other tips would be appreciative!

I want to stay in a monorail resort, my mom has MS and I'm trying to get somewhere close and easy to the parks for her. I'm not 100% in love with Grand Floridian, it doesn't exactly thrill me, but Poly looks like an experience in itself. I think it will be a good fit for us.

How comfy are the beds? My mom and I recently went on vacation and the beds were hard as rocks and made it difficult to sleep. We like really soft beds.

What is the best building to stay at for easy transport to other parks? Should we stay closer to the monorail or the TTC?

My mom will probably explore the parks in the morning and head back around 2 or 3 for the rest of the day. What are some things we can do at the hotel without going back out to the park?

I took my mom for 5 nights earlier this month. She is an active 74 year old, but there were times we did stuff at the resort. We really enjoyed watching the Electrical Water Pageant on the beach at night; we were able to see the fireworks from the beach as well. During the afternoon, we would sun ourselves on the beach and read, etc. We also enjoyed just walking around the resort and exploring. She didn't want to do any of the watercraft things, but I've done the little watermouse with my daughter before and that is fun. They rent them at the marina. The luau at night can be fun, too. We also rode the monorail around to check out GF and Contemporary.

We typically would go to a park in the morning, take a mid-day break, and then go to a park at night, too.

We were in Samoa and found it to be very nicely located. We did walk to the TTC a couple of times, but that might be too much for your mom. You can take the monorail or boat to MK; walk to TTC or take a long monorail ride to TTC and then switch to the Epcot monorail to get to Epcot; transportation to the other parks is by bus. The bus stop was not too far from our building. Take a look at the resort map to get your bearings.

Enjoy your trip.

We have always found the beds to be very comfortable. I always sleep like a baby at Disney, probably from pure exhaustion too, lol! We have not been there yet since the latest refurb, though, so not sure if they changed out all the mattresses.

We find Tokelau to be a perfect "in between" building - not too far to the GCH for the monorail to MK (or restaurants, pool, shops, etc) and not too far from the TTC. Also not too far from the bus stop if you're going to use the buses. If your mom can manage it, the walk to/from the TTC is beautiful, especially at night. Makes going to Epcot even more enjoyable!

The Poly has such a relaxing vibe, I think you'll enjoy hanging out there each day. The pools are great, the volcano pool has a bench area with bubbles that I find relaxing. Watching the fireworks and EWP from the beach is so convenient. The landscape is just gorgeous, I love taking photos and just walking around.

Two weeks until our stay! I am getting so excited! I hope our kids freak out when we tell them we are going to WDW and staying at the Poly the day we leave!

Woo-hoo, checking in at Poly in 50 days! :goodvibesThis will be our 3rd trip, and was a Christmas surprise from DH. How he managed to keep mum for the last 2 months while I researched alternative resorts, because the RO discount was booked by the time I looked, I have no idea! I forgive him for my wasted hours, thou, since it is back to the Poly! Even better, we were going to drive to Tampa to fly out for a cheaper flight, but have last minute found a return flight from Orlando. A day later. And the one night was open for RO at the Poly! He asked if it would be okay if we spent 1 more day at Disney. Um, YES! :cool1:So, this will be our first try linking two reservations. Already have had some tech issues on that, and hope we will get one consequetive room. Funnily, when I booked the additional night, CM "October" said, "I don't know if you have heard that the Poly is under going renovations.". Gee, really? :rotfl2:I don't care!!!! (no pool closure for us, phew!)

Doing the online check-in through MDE for our single night stay at the Poly, Theme Park view, and I discovered the section where I can request a specific building.

Looking at the map -- I chose Tahiti. I don't care about being in closer to the rest of the resort or walking distances, since it's only one night (our last of the trip that starts THIS Wednesday!:dance3:) and just really want an awesome view of the castle across the lagoon.

Was this the best choice of longhouse for that?

TIA!

I'm not sure, because of the construction if Tahiti is even open :confused3. Maybe Tikiman or some who has just been there will see your post and know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter