ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very capable of forming my own opinions. I am no lemming. I listen and I learn about an issue. You came on to an established board where a lot of us feel the same way. You posted a different opinion in such a way as to say we were being unreasonable. Then you say you didn't want a debate. Did you seriously think you were not going to get one? Then you post a dig at us, or maybe just at me because I have been the most vocal. I am sorry but I just find that rude. If I go to another board and my opinions differ I strive to learn why the people on that board feel as they do. I do not however insult them.

I was merely agreeing with your point that within a public forum a differing opinion will initiate a debate. My OP was thanking another for not posting another negative opinion. You called me out for doing so. I feel it would be nice if differing (and neutral or positive) opinions were more welcomed and wanted to encourage the behavior. This has become so OT that I embarrassed to be part of it. Respond if you must, but I am done.

Not a woe is me mindset. CL rooms are expensive and until this the views have been pretty much guaranteed. Most of us have to SAVE to be able to do CL. You can rest assured the bungalows will be even more expensive than CL and will probably be prohibitive to those of us who have to save to even go CL. Maybe you can afford to just stay in a bungalow but most of us can't.

Maybe CL will get a reduced price and the bungalows will take over as top price now? Think positive!

Gee whizz after reading all this "horrors" and "magical" discussions, I am so glad my favorite house is Fiji.

I am sad to see the volcano go a bit....... And a bit worried about the serenity of my getaway being ruined by construction.....

Maybe CL will get a reduced price and the bungalows will take over as top price now? Think positive!

Gee whizz after reading all this "horrors" and "magical" discussions, I am so glad my favorite house is Fiji.

I am sad to see the volcano go a bit....... And a bit worried about the serenity of my getaway being ruined by construction.....

Im not sure the volcano going is a done deal yet. There seems to be some differing information on that. I hope it doesn't go either. It would be a shame to lose it. I have heard yes it's going and I have heard they are only doing pool resurfacing. Kind of anyone's guess until they either announce something or they do it. Have a question for you because I have never really looked at the Fiji longhouse Is it all marina and TPV or do they have any GV?

I'm going in October and wonder what the construction is going to be like. Judging by all the websites showing pictures of the mine train roller coaster construction, I think Disney builds stuff so we have something to talk about. The past 2 times I've stayed at the Poly, I had parking lot views from Rapa Nui. I didn't know about Disboards then, didn't know Tikiman's site, and didn't know that I should have been disappointed with the view. To me, when I think of Poly, I think of the activity at the GCH on check in day, and walking through the landscape with the tiki torches lit after a long day at the park. Others think of the volcano pool or watching fireworks from their balcony or the beach. I get why they would be more upset than I am about the construction. I'm going to hope they do it right, and I think they will. My kids would think a crane right in their view would be infinitely awesomer than seeing the castle anyway. Boys will be boys.

I'm going in October and wonder what the construction is going to be like. Judging by all the websites showing pictures of the mine train roller coaster construction, I think Disney builds stuff so we have something to talk about. The past 2 times I've stayed at the Poly, I had parking lot views from Rapa Nui. I didn't know about Disboards then, didn't know Tikiman's site, and didn't know that I should have been disappointed with the view. To me, when I think of Poly, I think of the activity at the GCH on check in day, and walking through the landscape with the tiki torches lit after a long day at the park. Others think of the volcano pool or watching fireworks from their balcony or the beach. I get why they would be more upset than I am about the construction. I'm going to hope they do it right, and I think they will. My kids would think a crane right in their view would be infinitely awesomer than seeing the castle anyway. Boys will be boys.

I am going in December and I am not worrying about the construction either. I know Disney will do it's best to shield the guests as much as possible. The only part of the construction that did bother me is the bungalows. Again I don't know. They may build them all, they may just build some, I've heard both, who knows, and I can only hope it is the latter. I am staying regular GV this time and not CL so I am trying to figure out which longhouse I want to request when it comes time to do so at online check in.

I am trying to provide my family with a list of items that are available for breakfast in the CL lounge, since that's what we are planning on doing while we're there. Am I missing anything from this list?

Bagels, croissants, pastries
Oatmeal
Fruit
Yogurt
Cereals - corn flakes, fruit loops (are these always the same or do they rotate?)
Juice, coffee, tea

How easy is it to run over to Captain Cook's and get some eggs? Would that take long? I know this selection won't have enough protein for some...

Oh yeah***and this***WE'RE 99 DAYS OUT!!!!!!!!!:cool1::cheer2::cool1::cheer2:

You are right on target with what they have but you have to ask for the yogurt as it isn't out. They have to go get it. Capt. Cooks where you would get eggs is not that far at all. You might run into a little bit of a wait if you go when most people at the resort have breakfast. It does get busy. The lack of protein was our problem on our last visit too. The kids and I are okay with what CL has but dh needs his protein and wasn't totally happy. Oh they also have two types of milk also. 2% and Skim from what my younger son told me. He is the milk drinker in the family.

Im not sure the volcano going is a done deal yet. There seems to be some differing information on that. I hope it doesn't go either. It would be a shame to lose it. I have heard yes it's going and I have heard they are only doing pool resurfacing. Kind of anyone's guess until they either announce something or they do it. Have a question for you because I have never really looked at the Fiji longhouse Is it all marina and TPV or do they have any GV?

Fiji is actually all GV. The rooms either face Luau Cove & the beach between the Poly & GF, or they face the marina. The rooms on the marina side are not TPV. You have a view of the marina & partial of the lagoon, with which you may or may not be able to crane your neck & get a glimpse of the fireworks.

karriealex said:

All the rooms in the Fiji longhouse are consired GV, even if you are on the marina side. We also love staying in that longhouse. We've only stayed marina side.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

All the rooms in the Fiji longhouse are consired GV, even if you are on the marina side. We also love staying in that longhouse. We've only stayed marina side.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

I did not know that. I thought if you looked out onto the marina it was considered lagoon. I learn something new every day. How is the noise from Luau Cove if you are on that side? We are all usually up until 10 which is when they end but I was just wondering how loud it was.

:offtopic::offtopic: Hey all I spoke up last night and I did speak for others and I hope no one is angry, hurt or upset that I did. If I did anger, hurt, or upset anyone I am truly truly sorry. I love this board. We all learn from each other. We all know a lot about the Poly but we all know things that maybe the others don't and by posting we all learn. I just learned about Fiji this morning and I love that two people posted and taught me something new that I did not know. I truly love this boards and I would never ever want to do anything to anger, hurt or upset any of our regular posters. :offtopic::offtopic:

Hubby and I are really looking at Fiji as the longhouse to stay in. I had to giggle at my dh this morning when he looked at me and said " You can really request where you want to stay if you aren't CL??" He really liked that you could put in a request. I am also "thinking" about what a room would be like where the monorail goes by. I think it would be cool to look out your window and see it glide by. Not sure about noise etc. Has anyone stayed in a longhouse like that? What was it like?

I have sat in the chairs on the beach in front of luau cove for wishes and didn't think that it was loud - so I don't believe that the noise would be that big a deal. Actually it is very tranquil over there to watch wishes - you don't get the piped in music but I just like the fireworks so for me it is a win - win situation - no crowds, a beach chair and fireworks.

I have sat in the chairs on the beach in front of luau cove for wishes and didn't think that it was loud - so I don't believe that the noise would be that big a deal. Actually it is very tranquil over there to watch wishes - you don't get the piped in music but I just like the fireworks so for me it is a win - win situation - no crowds, a beach chair and fireworks.

That sounds just lovely! I also don't need the piped in music. It would be nice to just sit with the family and not 300 other people and watch the fireworks. You can still see the water parade from there too correct?

I am also "thinking" about what a room would be like where the monorail goes by. I think it would be cool to look out your window and see it glide by. Not sure about noise etc. Has anyone stayed in a longhouse like that? What was it like?

My DH enjoys watching the monorails go by. We've stayed in rooms facing them before and never were bothered by noise. I think any standard view room at the poly is nice. You get a good view wherever your room is ! I just cannot recall what buildings we were in. Rarotonga maybe? Rapa Nui? We've not stayed in Aoteraroa (I'm pretty sure I misspelled that) but it has some monorail facing views.

I posted to you on the other board but I will here too. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you for a pixie dust upgrade! :wizard::wizard::wizard:

Thank you! I hope our upgrade karma comes through. We had thought about changing resorts but we are resisting the urge.

My DH enjoys watching the monorails go by. We've stayed in rooms facing them before and never were bothered by noise. I think any standard view room at the poly is nice. You get a good view wherever your room is ! I just cannot recall what buildings we were in. Rarotonga maybe? Rapa Nui? We've not stayed in Aoteraroa (I'm pretty sure I misspelled that) but it has some monorail facing views.

Looking at the map it looks like Rarotonga was where you stayed. Rapa Nui kind of looks onto a parking lot if you are on that side of the building and even then with the foliage at the resort I am not even sure how much of the parking lot you would see.

Hee hee now I have to figure out where I want to stay in between Fiji and Rarotonga. I will have to get with dh and see what his preference is also. The monorail is so quiet even when you are on it that I didn't think noise would be too much of an issue but I figured I would ask about it just to make sure. Both are fairly close to the GCH which is dh's major concern because we are not staying CL this time and will have to go to Capt. Cooks for our meals. He is concerned about my ability to get around with my walking difficulties. I do have a wheelchair but I think he is trying to be considerate about not having to make me HAVE to use it all the time.

Hi! First post here. I booked a week at Poly (SV) w/"free" dining for Nov. 12-19, 2013. Got 'the letter' from the mgr this wk about renovation/Sunset Pt/part of beach.

I requested to stay Tokelau when I called last month. I'd read that it is centrally located. My younger son has Down syndrome and will be using a stroller as a wheelchair during our visit. He wears out even faster than most 6 yr olds, so I mostly wanted to verify we'd get a bldg w/elevator so we don't have to haul 45 lbs of sleepy boy up steps every time (esp end of day!).

I have also been planning for us to view Wishes! fr the Poly Beach (to avoid sensory overload). Will that still be possible? Will it be pleasant?

It looks like the main area affected will be very close to Tokelau. Should I request a different bldg? If so, which would you suggest?

Thank you ahead of time for your help!!! :)

(This will be first visit to WDW for my 10 yr old and 6 yr old boys.)

:wizard:Welcome to the Poly Thread! I can totally relate to your needs as my youngest DD is in the autism spectrum and has a mild muscular myopathy that, in the past, meant she would tire out easily. We used a stroller for her our first 2-3 trips for both sensory reasons as well as for tired muscles.

We have stayed in both Tokelau and Aotearoa. We liked them both for different reasons. Tokelau was VERY quiet(TTC side) and had a larger room. Aotearoa had a great view(we could see the castle thru a wispy tree for GV price!) and we loved being near the luau and hearing the soft music in the evening while on the balcony. It really added to the Polynesian feel and it was quiet when we closed the sliding door so no worries there.

Either side of the resort will give you longhouses with elevators. The only building with no elevator is Nuie and it is only 2 floors. It has access to an elevator thru a little bridgelike walkway with Roratonga.

If your family will be coming back to the room midday for a nap/sensory break, being in Tokelau will have more "risk" of construction noise than closer to the luau. It also sounds like a large portion of the beach on that side of the resort will be closed off. I would probably recommend requesting Fiji or Aotearoa. You will be next to a very quiet beach with no construction--lol--and a quick walk to the GCH for food and monorail. A little farther from the bus stop and the TTC but since you will have a stroller that is not as big of a deal. You would also be closer to the GF walkway. GF has some great restaurants that we like to visit. We take the monorail there and usually walk the beautiful pathway back to the Poly.

Good luck with your decision. I am sure you will have a wonderful vacation:goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter