ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's calm down for a bit. I am sure people were weeping and gnashing their teeth when they announced the new Fantasyland. "Why can't they leave it alone?!? Why are they getting rid of Toon Town?!?" Now attendance is as high as it has ever been. Some people are intent on doom and gloom. Do you really think Disney is going to ruin one of their signature locations? Do you really think they are going to build some bungalows over mosquito and alligator infested water? Do you think they will raze the volcano pool and leave an empty hole behind? They will make it different, and some will like the old way better and most will like the new way. My first trip to the Poly was probably 1982. I don't remember what the pool or the room looked like. But I remember that it was truly awesome. As long as there is a monorail and Mickey ears, all is well

Have you stayed at other Disney resorts? You pay for a water view at POR and if you can see a sliver of a pool through all the greenery, it's water view and its more expensive. That's how Disney operates. I love the Poly and Disney but it's a business. People gripe about paying for it but they still pay for it.

Prices at POR and prices for Poly CL are vastly different. Also for the most part those views are guaranteed. Yes there are a couple of rooms with palm trees. People expect sort of a gamble when they book a regular, TPV, or Lagoon View in the main part of the Polynesian. They do not expect that when they are paying for CL.

Let's calm down for a bit. I am sure people were weeping and gnashing their teeth when they announced the new Fantasyland. "Why can't they leave it alone?!? Why are they getting rid of Toon Town?!?" Now attendance is as high as it has ever been. Some people are intent on doom and gloom. Do you really think Disney is going to ruin one of their signature locations? Do you really think they are going to build some bungalows over mosquito and alligator infested water? Do you think they will raze the volcano pool and leave an empty hole behind? They will make it different, and some will like the old way better and most will like the new way. My first trip to the Poly was probably 1982. I don't remember what the pool or the room looked like. But I remember that it was truly awesome. As long as there is a monorail and Mickey ears, all is well

Not mosquito infested or alligator infested but it does have a lot of bacteria in it which is why they do not want people swimming in it. I myself am not gnashing or weeping. My only upset is if they ruin the view from Hawaii. I am still staying there in December construction or not. We are staying in a regular room and not CL this time but for the reason of money not construction. As Tikiman says at this time even Disney is not sure of how many of the bungalows they will build. I do see no problem though in letting Disney know how we feel about them being built in front of Hawaii. No one knows what will happen. Everything is pretty much rumor or conjecture. Disney has not said exactly what will happen only that there will be construction. It is just frustrating that it seems that everything is hush hush and the people who need to know, the guests, know pretty much nothing. It just doesn't seem fair.

Again I am still going in December construction or not because I love the Poly. I just wish Disney was a little more open and honest because others don't have the attachment to the Poly that I do and would chose to stay elsewhere. It is not fair for them to get there and find out it isn't what they dreamed of and have to change resorts.

Hi! First post here. I booked a week at Poly (SV) w/"free" dining for Nov. 12-19, 2013. Got 'the letter' from the mgr this wk about renovation/Sunset Pt/part of beach.

I requested to stay Tokelau when I called last month. I'd read that it is centrally located. My younger son has Down syndrome and will be using a stroller as a wheelchair during our visit. He wears out even faster than most 6 yr olds, so I mostly wanted to verify we'd get a bldg w/elevator so we don't have to haul 45 lbs of sleepy boy up steps every time (esp end of day!).

I have also been planning for us to view Wishes! fr the Poly Beach (to avoid sensory overload). Will that still be possible? Will it be pleasant?

It looks like the main area affected will be very close to Tokelau. Should I request a different bldg? If so, which would you suggest?

Thank you ahead of time for your help!!! :)

(This will be first visit to WDW for my 10 yr old and 6 yr old boys.)

I want to cry!!!!

My mother and father in law got the poly letter about the construction. We asked disney to send all mailings to our address!!! This was supposed to be a surprise for grandma and grandpa. The letter mentions views of the magic kingdom, etc. it ruined our whole surprise. And now MIL and FIL say they don't think they're going to go!!!!!!I think they looked up pricing and are worried about how much everything is going to cost (we're covering most of their trip).

I am so, so sad.

I m so very sorry! :-(

I know you have been working super hard to set up an amazing trip and to keep it a surprise. I hope they change their mind and still go. :hug:

I feel like putting these bungalows up will entirely ruin the view from Hawaii LH. I mean those things are directly in front of the Hawaii LH! No one is going to pay for LV rooms in Hawaii anymore, I sure wouldnt!
Hearing that the villas at GF were such a failure Im surprised they would even proceed with this..

I TOTALLY agree. While a neat idea in theory, it's a terrible idea in reality. There are so few longhouses on the property as it is that have LV and TPV rooms, and now they're going to reduce it even more? Doesn't make any sense at all. If the plan has to go through, I wish they would just put the bungalows on the Tahiti side of Sunset Point and leave the Hawaii side alone.

I TOTALLY agree. While a neat idea in theory, it's a terrible idea in reality. There are so few longhouses on the property as it is that have LV and TPV rooms, and now they're going to reduce it even more? Doesn't make any sense at all. If the plan has to go through, I wish they would just put the bungalows on the Tahiti side of Sunset Point and leave the Hawaii side alone.

This would make the most sense.

Why not just stay in the bungalows if you're worried about your view being ruined?

Cost. You can be sure these will be more expensive than the CL rooms because of location. Most of us save and save to be able to do CL and paying more than that would make it just that much more difficult.

That's a great idea and I appreciate your mindset- rather than the typical woe is me, disney is ruining the Poly response.

Not a woe is me mindset. CL rooms are expensive and until this the views have been pretty much guaranteed. Most of us have to SAVE to be able to do CL. You can rest assured the bungalows will be even more expensive than CL and will probably be prohibitive to those of us who have to save to even go CL. Maybe you can afford to just stay in a bungalow but most of us can't.

Not a woe is me mindset. CL rooms are expensive and until this the views have been pretty much guaranteed. Most of us have to SAVE to be able to do CL. You can rest assured the bungalows will be even more expensive than CL and will probably be prohibitive to those of us who have to save to even go CL. Maybe you can afford to just stay in a bungalow but most of us can't.

Right and if you are not dvc what are your chances of even getting one if the 20? That is waaayyyy far out of our price range lol

Maybe the bungalows will be priced in line with CL. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you won't be getting any of the services that concierge offers and you won't be getting food/beverages from the lounge.

How you know what most CL guests can afford is beyond me but my response wasn't about what you, me or anyone else can or can't afford. Just that it's refreshing to read a level headed response on here. For every post about the resort feeling old there is another post about how disney shouldn't do construction. It's typical to resist change, especially on these boards (see any FP+ thread) but since we don't know what the construction or pricing will look like it seems premature to determine that your CL view will be less spectacular or that you won't be able to afford the view you want.

I'm not DVC and I've never had a problem getting a reservation at the dvc resort i want, and usually with a decent discount too. Though the discounts may not be available on the poly grand villas for awhile... :-).

How you know what most CL guests can afford is beyond me but my response wasn't about what you, me or anyone else can or can't afford. Just that it's refreshing to read a level headed response on here. For every post about the resort feeling old there is another post about how disney shouldn't do construction. It's typical to resist change, especially on these boards (see any FP+ thread) but since we don't know what the construction or pricing will look like it seems premature to determine that your CL view will be less spectacular or that you won't be able to afford the view you want.

I talk to people. I do know a lot of us have to save to stay CL. Most of us have been on this board for awhile. I have no problem with change when it doesn't kill a view from a building that costs quite a bit to stay in. These will be Grand Villas and Studios and will be right on the water. One doesn't have to guess they will be expensive if you know what CL costs and it is not sitting right in the water. As far as I have heard they are also DVC which means even if we wanted to stay in one it might not be that easy. Look at the drawing of where these things are going and then say they wont effect the view. I fail to see how resiting FP+ and this even compare.

I talk to people. I do know a lot of us have to save to stay CL. Most of us have been on this board for awhile. I have no problem with change when it doesn't kill a view from a building that costs quite a bit to stay in. These will be Grand Villas and Studios and will be right on the water. One doesn't have to guess they will be expensive if you know what CL costs and it is not sitting right in the water. As far as I have heard they are also DVC which means even if we wanted to stay in one it might not be that easy. Look at the drawing of where these things are going and then say they wont effect the view. I fail to see how resiting FP+ and this even compare.

The comparison is that many people have decided they don't like something before even trying it or seeing it in its final form. I don't wish to argue, and you clearly have decided the addition of bungalows is a negative for you.
I stand by my original post, being appreciative of a level-headed response- I found it refreshing. The last thing I want is to get caught up in a debate because I choose to take a wait and see approach while you are choosing to react now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter