• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the view from our room in Hawaii. I am in heaven!!

image.jpg

WOW!!!!! That is a DREAM come true enjoy and keep up the pics:cool1:

Jus got my Mickey mail today!!! :banana: No ME tags in the envelope though. I guess they come separately?

So excited......32 days and we'll be enjoying the Poly! Can't wait!:)

Normally they do come together. If it has been more than a few weeks since you booked ME I would give them a call, tell them you have not received your tags and voucher and ask them to send you another packet. ME is different from the WDTC and sometimes they don't communicate well. ;)

I just changed my reservation from OKW to the Poly for the first week of Feb. Can anyone tell me about the door locks on the Poly doors? I have an escape artist 3yo and I'm concerned he'll just open the door and go when he pleases. Do they have locks high up on the doors?

Also, does anyone know about the weather in Feb? I hope I chose a good time. Will the kids be able to swim in Feb? I'm mainly looking for cool days and low crowds at the parks but swimming would be good too!

Thanks,
Sandy

Well that would make sense because we've only stayed in Fiji, Samoa, Hawaii, Nuie, and Tokelau. Tahiti does have the bigger room floor-plan so maybe that's why they have room for doors on both sides. I'm sure Steve would know exactly how many triple connecting rooms they have. :thumbsup2

I was wondering if you can let us know how Nuie was. We had requested Samoa Patio originally but then were fearful it would be too noisy and Niue looked about the same proximity with a view of the Volcano Pool so we switched our request. Can you give us your opinion of Nuie, what room you were in, was it noisy and do you have any pictures?

Hi! Quick question for dh RE: our upcoming stay! I heard that he can use the hot tub at the GF Spa? Correct?? Will be staying in Hawaii and wondering best/quickest way and how long to get there? We both run, so thinking early am run?:confused3 Also, are there other things like sauna, work out equipt and showers available?? TIA for any info!

Yes, you can use the hot tub but it is near one of the pools, not at the Spa.

It only takes about 10 minutes or so to walk over to the Spa and Fitness Center at the GF. I haven't used it but I do know that they have workout equipment at the fitness center. If there is a sauna it is probably part of the Spa rather than the fitness center, same with showers but hopefully someone that is more familiar with exactly what is available at the fitness center can answer those questions.

Ask at the front desk about a map that shows the running path at the Poly (my wife got one in 2005, I assume they still have them) as the path also goes over to the GF and right by the fitness center. My wife loved early morning runs at the Poly.

I am considering a few nights in April prior to our cruise on the Fantasy, I am not as worried about volcano pool construction, but I was wondering if there are any thoughts or knowledge about how the construction in the GCH will occur? My hope is that is will be in smallish segments and areas, and hopefully not too much of an impact on the entire 'feel' of the building? What do you guys think?

(I apologize if this is an annoying or frequently asked question, I tried searching this thread and didn't see anything to detailed about it)

Yes, they give leis to everyone checking in. As far as I know they do not give special leis to people celebrating anniversaries. We've been there on our anniversary the past 3 years and have never received special leis, just the ones they give at check-in, but I would rather have those than no leis!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Actually, we got lucky one year, and we received real flower leis, as opposed to the not real flower ones. They were really very lovely and fragrant. It was the only time that happened. It was very nice. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary.

How is the buses to AK?

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013

Hollywood Studios was the worst both times. AK was a bit better but we went later in et day and were in the park almost an hour after it officially closed. Which is a bad idea because buses stop running around that time.....

Does anybody know who the poly shares a bus with?

Depends on where it is going sometimes and how full it is. But we mist often stopped at GF on the way out. And DCR and TS on the way back.

The last bus ride was so awful we got off at the TS and walked to our room at the POLY.

Yes, you can use the hot tub but it is near one of the pools, not at the Spa.

It only takes about 10 minutes or so to walk over to the Spa and Fitness Center at the GF. I haven't used it but I do know that they have workout equipment at the fitness center. If there is a sauna it is probably part of the Spa rather than the fitness center, same with showers but hopefully someone that is more familiar with exactly what is available at the fitness center can answer those questions.

Ask at the front desk about a map that shows the running path at the Poly (my wife got one in 2005, I assume they still have them) as the path also goes over to the GF and right by the fitness center. My wife loved early morning runs at the Poly.

Are you sure this is still open to walk with the construction going on?
Tiki man would know

Depends on where it is going sometimes and how full it is. But we mist often stopped at GF on the way out. And DCR and TS on the way back.

The last bus ride was so awful we got off at the TS and walked to our room at the POLY.

we have shared with cr and gf at different times and it seems no matter which resort we are the last stop. that part could just be my impatience though. :)

Are you sure this is still open to walk with the construction going on?
Tiki man would know

Yes, the DVC construction did at times block portions of the walkway but there were still paths around the construction area and you can see on aerial views that you can still walk between the two resorts.

I have a quesion for you all. Staying at club level means we will have two people servicing our room daily. One Mousekeeper and one for turndown service. I was wondering how much you all tip each person? I know normally we tip Mpusekeeping around $5.00 because we keep our room ultra neat. Should I tip turndown the same or different?

I just changed my reservation from OKW to the Poly for the first week of Feb. Can anyone tell me about the door locks on the Poly doors? I have an escape artist 3yo and I'm concerned he'll just open the door and go when he pleases. Do they have locks high up on the doors?

Also, does anyone know about the weather in Feb? I hope I chose a good time. Will the kids be able to swim in Feb? I'm mainly looking for cool days and low crowds at the parks but swimming would be good too!

Thanks,
Sandy

We just returned from our first Poly stay and I can tell you my 15 year old daughter didn't know how to get the door open, lol! They have that metal long "u" shaped thing on the door that flips over a metal ball-shaped anchor on the wall about five feet from the floor, if that makes sense.

As for swimming in February, it depends on the weather and how hardy you are. We were in Disney late January one year and it never got out of the low 60's. They told me the week before it had been in the 80's. I believe the pools are heated, but I still wouldn't swim unless it's hot outside.

I haven't stayed at the Polynesian in over 5 years because it was always just a little too pricey but thanks to a special pin code, we're staying for a whole week in January!
I'm telling people it's because it's so easy to take the monorail to the starting lines for the runDisney races in Epcot, in reality it's because I want breakfast at Kona and Ohana afterwards... And juice. Lots of juice.
Does anyone know when the construction at the Grand Floridian will be over?

I haven't stayed at the Polynesian in over 5 years because it was always just a little too pricey but thanks to a special pin code, we're staying for a whole week in January!
I'm telling people it's because it's so easy to take the monorail to the starting lines for the runDisney races in Epcot, in reality it's because I want breakfast at Kona and Ohana afterwards... And juice. Lots of juice.
Does anyone know when the construction at the Grand Floridian will be over?

Congrats on the pin code and getting to stay at the the Poly again :goodvibes.

I'm not sure of the exact finish date, but DCV construction at the GF should be wrapping up soon as the villas are planned to open in October ;).

I have a quesion for you all. Staying at club level means we will have two people servicing our room daily. One Mousekeeper and one for turndown service. I was wondering how much you all tip each person? I know normally we tip Mpusekeeping around $5.00 because we keep our room ultra neat. Should I tip turndown the same or different?

Turndown usually isn't a full service, so you might not feel you need to tip as much. My only other comment on this (since tipping is technically a forbidden topic) is that turndown was really early every night on our July stay, like around 5pm or so. We were still in the room getting ready for dinner every night at this time, so we never actually got turndown. The first night she did come, and I answered the door since I was dressed already, and said we didn't need the turndown, she offered the chocolates, so of course I said yes :), and she handed me a full double-handful of about 12 chocolates. It made it okay that we didn't get turndown any other night! :thumbsup2

Tipping is a forbidden topic? I didn't know this. We usually camp in our RV anywhere we go, so when we went to the Poly last week, we were absolutely at a loss as to when/how much to tip. It would have been useful to have seen some posts on the Disboards to remind and prepare me. Why is it a forbidden topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter