• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Winter 2011 Edition

Hiya! Here is a pic from our Garden View room in the Samoa longhouse.

263.jpg

And a pic of me and the Terror Squad :lmao: I went all out for to get this room...and Auntie Kaui :thumbsup2

085.jpg

Thank you so much!! Beautiful pics!

Here are some photos from our garden view rooms from Samoa. In 2010 we had room 1604 (volcano pool side, but closer to GCH):

Disney2010011.jpg

Disney2010010.jpg

In 2009 it was Samoa has well and this was the end room number 1610 closest to the Hawaii house (again volcano pool side):

DSC02992.jpg

DSC02995.jpg

view to right:
DSC02996.jpg

Not much, but private.

We are a short walk to the main pool and a short walk to the beach to watch the water pageant and fireworks....magical.

The only time we had a problem with noise was one night (early to bed) I heard music...was ready to kill half awake when I realized it was the water pageant. I smiled and drifted off back to sleep. I am a light sleeper and battle with insomnia and nothing but this woke me up one year and we were there for 10 days (9 nights).

We did stay in Tokela a longggggg time ago, but sorry no photos. It was nice from what I remember.

We will be going back to the Poly again this year. Orginally booked the WL, but it didn't feel right. I have asked for Samoa, volcano pool side and preferbly 1st floor. :banana:

I hope we get our request!

That seems like a perfect location. Thanks for posting them! It seems so beautiful! I hope you get your request too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here are some garden view pictures from Fiji. We stayed marina side (STILL considered a garden view) in 2008 and GF side last month. Both were great!

Our longhouse 2008:

Polynesian by rcsilverspring, on Flickr

Our view 2008

Polynesian by rcsilverspring, on Flickr

Our view 2011:
DSC00314.jpg

Our longhouse 2011:

DSC00243.jpg

WOW! Stunning! Thank you!

here are a few more pics from the Poly

the over photographed fountain in the lobby
54f54d48.jpg

a monkey in our room
39c70de7.jpg

an alligator in our room! aaaaah!:lmao:
4fca701a.jpg

Polynesian sunrise pics

32b01661.jpg

217e7cbb.jpg

7357ab27.jpg

30dbf0f5.jpg

97689eb7.jpg

SO beautiful..there's no words. I'm so excited already!

I've finally been able to put some cabana pics in the main FAQ area. Sorry for the delay on that one, I've been dealing with a couple of family problems that have been keeping me away from the dis.

Thank you to TinkerBelle_325, camsmomE, crostorfer and princssdisnygina for supplying some photos to the thread!

Thank you oceangirl for grabbing the post numbers that contained pics so I didn't have to go back through every page!

:goodvibes

No problem! Now... just to make sure, where is the main FAQ area? :confused3

Love the pics! Keep em coming! Is it possible to have Post Vacation Depression before you even go? :confused3

I am suffering from the same thing right now. We go in two weeks to the Poly and I am already experiencing my last two day depression. What is wrong with me. I already have myself on the DME returning to the airport. :confused3

I just priced a GV CL trip for Sept 2012. It is almost $1500 more than my last trip which I had originally booked GV CL, but ended up adding two more nights and upgrading to CL TPV due to a pin code for the same price as the GV CL!.

Ugh, I just realized that when I made my reservation the other day I forgot to put in my room requests. Can I just call back and have those added? I've always done it right when I made my initial reservation in the past.

We are just doing Garden View, but I for sure want a patio or balcony for when the girls are sleeping and DH & I are still up. We really prefer ground floor, so that was going to be my first request, then I thought I would also put Tokelau since 2nd floor has balconies and I like the location. I think the only bad thing about the Poly is when making these requests, some of the names are difficult to pronounce, LOL!!

You can definitely call and add them. I book online, so I just call at some point and have them added. Our request is just like yours - Tokelau, first floor. We also request East side. Both sides are nice (we've stayed in both), but we like the open grassy area off the patio on the East side, and the walkway is fairly far out. The pics Toddd just posted on the last page show the East side from a 2nd floor balcony.

Poly is our WDW Home and Tokelau is the place!!

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to hear someone else that thinks 3/4 is a good age for a first trip. That is how old DD was on her first trip. She is 14 now and does actually remember one or two experiences:)

I agree!! Our kids were 3 and 4 for the first trip (DD was barely 3 and DS was almost 5), and it was PERFECT! So magical for them. They remember a few things (or "remember", as in we've told the stories so many times, they think they remember, LOL). At that age, everything was magic!! We went again at 5 and 6 - that trip was all about the Princesses for DD. Then this year they were 7 and 8 - more about the thrills, DD still into the Princesses and Fairies. Going again next spring, they'll be 8 and 9 - guessing it will be all about the thrills!!

I've been going through this WONDERFUL thread and I have to say, you guys know what the heck you're talking about ! :worship:

And I think you've swayed me from the GF to try the Poly for our next trip! which is not until 2013, so I have alot of time to learn about the Poly ...but I will say this, this thread is AWESOME !!! Everyone's pictures are just beautiful!!! :love:

I have a question though.... how likely are we to get a balcony if we request it? I'm not picky about which building, since I haven't the first clue about ANYTHING at the Poly !! ( so I wouldn't even know what to ask for) But a balcony is a big one w/ me. I love sitting and reading my Nook outside.

It kind of makes me nervous to book though and not get one. :confused3 How have your experiences been ?

Aloha!! We just booked our trip for November 20-27th. :woohoo: Can't wait to get back to the beautiful Poly!!! DH & I stayed there for our first time last May and fell in love. We had a MK view room in Tahiti, and it was beautiful-fell asleep to the castle all lit up every night. This time we have requested Tokelau ground floor, we're hoping to be on the Tahiti side.:thumbsup2

Hello everyone! I'm a long time lurker and am at the end stages of planning our 2nd trip to the Poly. We LOVED our last trip but haven't been able to go back due to our oldest daughter's health. She is finally doing much better and we want to celebrate Disney style! :cool1:

On our last trip we were so blessed to be upgraded to a perfect TPV on the 3rd floor. I can't tell you how much we enjoyed watching the fireworks every night. Due to our multiple health problems in our family we just cannot spend more than a few hours at the parks each day. Knowing that we spend so much time at the resort I wanted your advice. Since we have been saving for this trip for so long we can afford to do CL this time but I wasn't sure if the TPV CL was worth the extra money. Do all of the CL TPV have balconies? We were so spoiled on our last trip. :)

Another worry is that we are just getting ready to book this trip and I'm already past the 180 day mark for our ADRs. I am an obsessive person and like to have everything planned. If we book CL TPV can they still get us into some of the more difficult ADRs? If so that would be amazing! We do not want to eat at the castle but we do want CM, Ohana's, etc.

Thank you all so much for your advice! I am so thrilled to finally be able to plan our next vacation!!!!! Reading trip reports for the past 2 years have been a mixed blessing.... I get my Disney fix but am jealous at the same time. :lmao:

I have a question though.... how likely are we to get a balcony if we request it? I'm not picky about which building, since I haven't the first clue about ANYTHING at the Poly !! ( so I wouldn't even know what to ask for) But a balcony is a big one w/ me. I love sitting and reading my Nook outside.

It kind of makes me nervous to book though and not get one. :confused3 How have your experiences been ?

They will tell you that a request is only that and there is no guarantee. That being said the two times we have already stayed at the Poly we've been pretty lucky getting close to what we wanted. Each trip we had specified three things and were given two of the three requests (third floor, a specific building and connecting). If your only request is a balcony and you ask for nothing else I would say your chances are pretty good that the room assigner can find you a third floor room somewhere on the property.

Hello everyone! I'm a long time lurker and am at the end stages of planning our 2nd trip to the Poly. We LOVED our last trip but haven't been able to go back due to our oldest daughter's health. She is finally doing much better and we want to celebrate Disney style! :cool1:

On our last trip we were so blessed to be upgraded to a perfect TPV on the 3rd floor. I can't tell you how much we enjoyed watching the fireworks every night. Due to our multiple health problems in our family we just cannot spend more than a few hours at the parks each day. Knowing that we spend so much time at the resort I wanted your advice. Since we have been saving for this trip for so long we can afford to do CL this time but I wasn't sure if the TPV CL was worth the extra money. Do all of the CL TPV have balconies? We were so spoiled on our last trip. :)

Another worry is that we are just getting ready to book this trip and I'm already past the 180 day mark for our ADRs. I am an obsessive person and like to have everything planned. If we book CL TPV can they still get us into some of the more difficult ADRs? If so that would be amazing! We do not want to eat at the castle but we do want CM, Ohana's, etc.

Thank you all so much for your advice! I am so thrilled to finally be able to plan our next vacation!!!!! Reading trip reports for the past 2 years have been a mixed blessing.... I get my Disney fix but am jealous at the same time. :lmao:

Congratulations on your daughter's improved health - what a great reason to celebrate! :woohoo:

According to the room breakdown on the Tikiman website about half of the TPV rooms in Hawaii are on the third floor. The rest are divided about equally between the first & second. Make sure you request it, but it is not guaranteed.

Some people say yes, others say no, but I suspect IPO has access to more tables that the regular dining CM's since they can often do something for you. Again, no guarantee, but they can probably help you out (unless your trip is in the next couple of weeks!) Good luck!

ETA: you could always book TPV CL and see what IPO can do for you. If they are unable to get you the reservations you want (if this is part of your motivation for booking CL) you could always try to downgrade to standard TPV after to save the extra money. However, this will be our first trip staying CL. With a couple of kids I am really looking forward to the use of the lounge and am looking at this as another benefit of CL!

I agree!! Our kids were 3 and 4 for the first trip (DD was barely 3 and DS was almost 5), and it was PERFECT! So magical for them. They remember a few things (or "remember", as in we've told the stories so many times, they think they remember, LOL). At that age, everything was magic!! We went again at 5 and 6 - that trip was all about the Princesses for DD. Then this year they were 7 and 8 - more about the thrills, DD still into the Princesses and Fairies. Going again next spring, they'll be 8 and 9 - guessing it will be all about the thrills!!

Oh yay! I'm glad you had a great experience with 3 and 4 year olds in DW as well. DS will be just shy of his 4th birthday. Yeah, I bet some things my DD has just seen pics of and thinks she remembers, lol. 8 and 9 should be really exciting ages as well especially with all the thrill rides and magic. My first trip was when I was 8.

I've been going through this WONDERFUL thread and I have to say, you guys know what the heck you're talking about ! :worship:

And I think you've swayed me from the GF to try the Poly for our next trip! which is not until 2013, so I have alot of time to learn about the Poly ...but I will say this, this thread is AWESOME !!! Everyone's pictures are just beautiful!!! :love:

I'm new to this thread as well and it definitely has me dreaming of Poly. Happy Planning!

I first stayed at the Poly in 1976...stayed there 3 times with my parents while growing up. Got to go back in 2008 for the first time in 25 years. Still love it! Such great memories. Heading back again in November. Thanks for all the beautiful pictures! We have been to WDW many times over the years and always visit the Poly at least once. Have stayed at many Disney resorts (POR, CBR, GF, CR, SoG, ASSports, WL, CSR) but Poly remains my favorite! :)

If you Love reading a book outside. Youll love The Poly! Even though this wasnt your question, I would recommend a floor ground because it comes with a mini porch thats perfect for reading. Also the hammacks on the beach are soo amazing!! It feels like a dream reading a book on them. If you have anymore questions or want to know more about the poly i would love to tell you!

You may want to start booking your dining now FYI. It seems you are going the week of Thanksgiving? Is that right? You may want to see what is available before you decide. I am going the week after Thanksgiving and we have a pin code applied to our reservation so we have a discount but I can't seem to get CL of any kind and I literally call every other day. :confused3 If you are paying rack rate then you will probably have better luck.

I personally stayed CL for the first time a few weeks ago and LOVED it! Hence I am trying to upgrade for November. :goodvibes I am starting to get upset because I haven't been able to upgrade yet. :sad2: If you plan on being in your room and at the Poly you should DEFINITELY do CL. If you don't plan on being at the resort much then I wouldn't do it. That is just my opinion. ;)

A few more pics :goodvibes

077.jpg

Sunset at the Poly...with Cinderella's castle in the backdrop

036.jpg

View of the volcano pool at night from our room

053.jpg

My two nephews taking a night swim...with Cinderella's castle lit up behind them

040.jpg

One of the beds decorated with stuffies and leis

240.jpg

Mousekeeper 'Kim' leaves Avery a thank you note for the tip she left...and makes her bear into a Pirate

143.jpg

So sad--time for the Terror Squad (who made me start my Lapu Lapu addiction) to go back home

So glad I saw this...we are deciding between Poly & BC - really leaning towards Poly (haven't stayed on-site before). Anyways, I was curious what you thought about Samoa, as that is the one I would like to request. Looks like it's in a great location! I was also curious about the noise --what time does the volcano pool close? Thanks for the pics!

Maybe someone can confirm, but I believe lifeguards are on until 10 p.m., but you are still allowed to swim. However, the slide closes. Even at the most crowded moments with the patio door closed we could not hear anything in our room from the pool.

When we first choose Samoa it was because our little one was 3 and just potty trained. I wanted to be able to take her to our own private bathroom. We got room 1610 and we were the first room upon entering by Hawaii side. Also are two older kids could head out the patio door and be right at the pool without waiting for us.

We have requested this building again this year! The only other building I wouldn't mind trying is Hawaii, but we would need some serious pixie dust for that one.:wizard:

If you Love reading a book outside. Youll love The Poly! Even though this wasnt your question, I would recommend a floor ground because it comes with a mini porch thats perfect for reading. Also the hammacks on the beach are soo amazing!! It feels like a dream reading a book on them. If you have anymore questions or want to know more about the poly i would love to tell you!

Thank you !!! I feel like I have a million questions and don't know where to start ! You paint such a lovely picture..... I love how the Poly looks...all tropical and pretty. One of the things I loved about it is that it's a little more relaxed looking than the GF. Don't get me wrong, we loved the GF, but it might be fun for a change. I can't think of a better place.

We literally know NOTHING about the Poly.... I'm trying to find all the info I can! One question I do have.... I've heard some people say how the rooms feel so dark. Did you feel that way ? How about the bathrooms ...do all just have one sink ? I can work with that, so it's not that big a deal if that's all that they have.

How is the bus / boat to the parks ? I've seen some threads where the boat and bus are packed. we never found that at the GF, so I thought that was odd. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think I'm nervous about trying a new place so I'm completely over analyzing!!! (my DH is nodding vehemently !!) :lmao: I know when we get there we're probably going to fall in love !!

Reminds me of my dad during our first trip in 1976, calling down to the front desk of the CR to complain about the loud music our neighbors were playing. Man, was he ticked! We still laugh about that. EWP = those lousy neighbors partying again. :rotfl:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:I don't mind the Poly disruptions...I actually can nap well by the poolside. The noise is calming to me and a couple of lapu lapu's help the nap too. To me the poolside noise is soothing and makes me smile listening to all the hapiness around me. Work is irritating = Poly a screaming infant would be peaceful (okay maybe not that severe).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter