ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Winter 2011 Edition

That would be so nice..... ever since I started making more detailed plans (especially when the airline changed our flight times and we lost a bunch of time), I starting wishing that we had an extra day. But by that time we had our flights booked and there was no changing that. Glad you got some nice relaxing time in!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, unfortunately, when you fly like we do too, it isn't so easy to add a day or 2 to your stay. And when you get to the Polynesian, you NEVER want to leave, which isn't possible either no matter HOW much pixie dust :tinker:you have sprinkled on you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, unfortunately, when you fly like we do too, it isn't so easy to add a day or 2 to your stay. And when you get to the Polynesian, you NEVER want to leave, which isn't possible either no matter HOW much pixie dust :tinker:you have sprinkled on you!

That is one of the benefits of living driving-distance from WDW...although I wasn't saying that last night during hour nine in the car with two VERY exhausted little boys!!! :headache: You are right...I don't think I ever would have gotten tired of being at the Poly, but there is not enough pixie dust in the world, unfortunately!

I have just booked our last night in Florida at the Poly - we are staying offsite for the 2 weeks prior to this. :dance3:

Wanted to experience it and happy to stay 1 night in 1 room with 3 small children but not 2 weeks worth. :crowded:

I am not worried about my view, I have booked a Garden view, but I will be a bit dissapointed if I am allocated a car park view. Am I likely to get one of these? If I do happen to get one will I be able to ask to switch (obviously dependant on availability).

And does anyone know if I will have time to go over to the chip and dale singalong and then get back to the Poly for the fireworks?

Thanks in advance.

Kirsten

We spent 4 nights at the Poly in a room with 3 young kids (ages 6, 4, and 2 at the time of visit). We were very comfortable, even with a double and a single stroller in the room. The youngest was in a crib (we asked for and got a "real" crib instead of a pack n play), my eldest slept on the daybed and my princess (spoiled that she is princess: ) got the 2nd queen bed to herself. I agree that I wouldn't want to spend 2 weeks in a single room but it was perfect for that trip.
I've never done the Chip and Dale thing so I can't help you there.

Amanda

Does anyone know how deep the pool is where the slide dumps into the pool? Also, how deep is the deepest part of the volcano pool?

Thanks!

Does anyone know how deep the pool is where the slide dumps into the pool? Also, how deep is the deepest part of the volcano pool?

Thanks!

I just looked at my pictures from our last stay and it is 3' 9" at the bottom of the slide, and I believe that the deepest part is under the waterfall and it is 4' 6" there. HTH!:)

Thanks!

The deepest part of the pool is no more than 5 feet deep I think. The "deep" end near where the slide exits was around 4 feet maybe. My daughter who was exactly 48 inches tall could bounce her way off of the bottom from the end of the slide to the side of the pool. Its not very deep at all.

Just back from a week at the Poly! :sad1::sad1:

We were in a Garden View room in Hawaii - first time in Club Level! It was fabulous!! :cloud9:

We were given the golf cart drive-in when we checked in and the driver said that the quiet pool was being renovated (um, yeah, already knew that, LOL) to be a zero entry and 5 ft at the deep end. However, I did not see that a zero entry was being done - the entire time we were there the steps were still there and no demo was being done to the "step" side of the pool. :confused3

We checked out on the 9th and the pool refurb looked far from being done to me. However, the noise was not noticeable (no jackhammers at least while we were there). In fact, we noted that on many days there didn't appear to be any work being done at all, which I found very strange. We had one rainy day, so I didn't expect to see them out there then, but all of the rest of our days (we were there from the 2nd through the 9th) were beautiful and many of them appeared to pass without work on the pool. Now granted, something could have been done while we were at the parks in the morning, but we were usually back some time in the early afternoon, and still didn't see work being done. I will post a few pics from our room as soon as I get them off my camera and loaded. We didn't take any over the fence though - just from our balcony.

Club level food was fabulous and plentiful. Yes, the breakfast gets to be a little boring day after day, but was fresh and tasty each day. Nighttime offerings were amazing on all of the days we were there to enjoy. The chef was very friendly and most of the staff was as well. There were a few somewhat un-enthusiastic CL Castmembers, but overall, the staff was wonderful. :goodvibes Some of the other guests were messy and left plates and glasses out on their tables (um, hello, it's a lounge, not a restaurant - you need to bring up your messy plates so I don't have to clean up behind you in order to sit down).:rolleyes1

I really enjoyed sitting on my balcony or in the lounge with my Cafe Mocha with a shot of Kahlua in it! Heaven!! And don't get me started on that Poly CL punch!! Yummo!!:love:

The Poly grounds were gorgeous - things were blooming everywhere, it was so lush and green and the whole place is just magical!

Pool was crowded as we expected, but the kids had so much fun!! Yes, they were checking for room cards and issuing wristbands, but not consistently. We did see them nicely make a couple people leave who were "meeting friends" for the luau - um, yeah, it's 2:00 and you are sitting on a lounge chair with your bathing suit on, LOL - but in typical Poly fashion they were very nice about it.

Any questions I would be happy to try and answer. Missing it already!! :sad1:

Should have pictures to share soon! Have to get a little actual work done today so I can start saving for our next trip! :thumbsup2

Sara

We were in a Garden View room in Hawaii - first time in Club Level! It was fabulous!! :cloud9:

We checked out on the 9th and the pool refurb looked far from being done to me. However, the noise was not noticeable (no jackhammers at least while we were there). In fact, we noted that on many days there didn't appear to be any work being done at all, which I found very strange. We had one rainy day, so I didn't expect to see them out there then, but all of the rest of our days (we were there from the 2nd through the 9th) were beautiful and many of them appeared to pass without work on the pool. Now granted, something could have been done while we were at the parks in the morning, but we were usually back some time in the early afternoon, and still didn't see work being done. I will post a few pics from our room as soon as I get them off my camera and loaded. We didn't take any over the fence though - just from our balcony.

Sara

This is what I thought, but isn't giving me warm fuzzies about the work being completed by May. I wonder if a contract fell through or a work permit didn't happen or something, the pics I have seen all look the same from when they first posted them a few weeks ago. :scared1:

This is what I thought, but isn't giving me warm fuzzies about the work being completed by May. I wonder if a contract fell through or a work permit didn't happen or something, the pics I have seen all look the same from when they first posted them a few weeks ago. :scared1:

There was some work being done, just not consistently every day. So I can't imagine it being a work permit issue. No idea though. :confused3 You might be ok in another month if what they are doing is not too outrageous. The "huts" surrounding the quiet pool appeared to be fine and I'm guessing the decking around the pool will be left the same if the "footprint" of the pool is the same. I just don't know about that whole zero entry thing - just didn't seem possible without expanding the pool a bit. Zero entry takes a bit of size in order for it to be gradual and that pool doesn't seem big enough in it's current state. I will try to zoom in on some of our pics taken from the balcony and see if I can tell any more details. :goodvibes

One thing is for sure, it did NOT diminish the fun we had. The Poly is gorgeous and even though the volcano pool was busy, the kids found it fun that way!! Of course, waiting for the slide wasn't the most fun, but when it got backed up they just swam and waited until it looked like less of a line! :thumbsup2

I haven't rented one, but I've seen one. What would you like to know?

I was wondering just where they were located and how many cabanas there were. We are spending two nights Poly gv cl before moving over to BC gv cl for two weeks. These two days are our "relaxing after driving days", so I rented the cabana for the second day.

Secondly, can you tell me where your room was located and if you were happy with it. Our request right now is, 3rd floor, pool view.

Thanks and can't wait to see your pictures!

I was wondering just where they were located and how many cabanas there were. We are spending two nights Poly gv cl before moving over to BC gv cl for two weeks. These two days are our "relaxing after driving days", so I rented the cabana for the second day.

The cabanas look lovely! I would have loved to have one for a pool day. That said, I don't like them, because they mean even less chairs and tables available by the pool!! I told DH - for as much as it costs to stay here, I shouldn't have to pay to have a seat, LOL!! Anyways, there are 2 on the upper level pool deck, the side of the pool towards the slide. They looked very nice with lounge chairs, regular chairs, fridge, TV, etc. One of the days we were there, a family had rented both of these out for a party. There might have been another cabana over by the bar, I'm not sure.

We were given the golf cart drive-in when we checked in and the driver said that the quiet pool was being renovated (um, yeah, already knew that, LOL) to be a zero entry and 5 ft at the deep end. However, I did not see that a zero entry was being done - the entire time we were there the steps were still there and no demo was being done to the "step" side of the pool. :confused3

Club level food was fabulous and plentiful. Yes, the breakfast gets to be a little boring day after day, but was fresh and tasty each day. Nighttime offerings were amazing on all of the days we were there to enjoy. The chef was very friendly and most of the staff was as well. There were a few somewhat un-enthusiastic CL Castmembers, but overall, the staff was wonderful. :goodvibes Some of the other guests were messy and left plates and glasses out on their tables (um, hello, it's a lounge, not a restaurant - you need to bring up your messy plates so I don't have to clean up behind you in order to sit down).:rolleyes1

I really enjoyed sitting on my balcony or in the lounge with my Cafe Mocha with a shot of Kahlua in it! Heaven!! And don't get me started on that Poly CL punch!! Yummo!!:love:

The Poly grounds were gorgeous - things were blooming everywhere, it was so lush and green and the whole place is just magical!

Pool was crowded as we expected, but the kids had so much fun!! Yes, they were checking for room cards and issuing wristbands, but not consistently. We did see them nicely make a couple people leave who were "meeting friends" for the luau - um, yeah, it's 2:00 and you are sitting on a lounge chair with your bathing suit on, LOL - but in typical Poly fashion they were very nice about it.

Any questions I would be happy to try and answer. Missing it already!! :sad1:

Should have pictures to share soon! Have to get a little actual work done today so I can start saving for our next trip! :thumbsup2

Sara

You were there just after us, we left on the 2nd. I agree - I was confused about the lack of work going on at the Quiet pool. We saw workers only 1 day!! It sure didn't look like a zero entry going in - lots of work yet if that's the case!

Secondly, can you tell me where your room was located and if you were happy with it. Our request right now is, 3rd floor, pool view.

Thanks and can't wait to see your pictures!

There are 2 cabanas. If you google "disney polynesian cabana", you can see pictures in the first link (it's blocked on this site, I tried to just c/p the pick here). They are named and when you call to book one they will ask you which one you want - I was speaking to the manager of Polynesian recreation when I booked mine and just asked him if one was better than the other since I had no idea how to choose. He said that one had a better view (but I can't remember which one, LOL!) and that is what I chose.

Oh boy - nobody asked me which one I wanted when I booked.

When you get back can you let me know the name of the one with the better view? I'll call back WDW-PLAY and ask for that one!

Thanks so much!

I don't think you will find the room crowded with three young kids. We have stayed at the Poly twice with a 5, 8 and 19 year old. The rooms are pretty big and despite our concerns we were fine for a week (the key is just to be organized!)

I have rarely heard of anyone getting a terrible view at the Poly. The way the longhouses are situated there isn't really much of a chance for a parking lot view. If you are really concerned you could request a specific longhouse. And yes, based on availability you can ask to be moved.

Sorry, but I don't have an answer about the barbeque question.

We spent 4 nights at the Poly in a room with 3 young kids (ages 6, 4, and 2 at the time of visit). We were very comfortable, even with a double and a single stroller in the room. The youngest was in a crib (we asked for and got a "real" crib instead of a pack n play), my eldest slept on the daybed and my princess (spoiled that she is princess: ) got the 2nd queen bed to herself. I agree that I wouldn't want to spend 2 weeks in a single room but it was perfect for that trip.
I've never done the Chip and Dale thing so I can't help you there.

Amanda

Thank you very much for your help. We could probably do 4 nights but not 2 weeks, but I think this is mainly because we try to stick to the kids normal bedtime, we find that they (and therefore me) are not cranky if they get a good nights sleep. It isn't my ideal to sit in a darkened room while they get off to sleep. But I am really looking forward to seeing what the Poly is like. I think I might request Aotearoa, given that is the Maori name for New Zealand which is where I am from.

Kirsten

I got my Magical Express paperwork in the mail today!!!!! :banana::banana::banana: Makes everything seem so much more real now!!!! Do the luggage tags come with the stuff from the Walt Disney Travel Company? I can't remember. :confused3 I sure hope so, since I didn't get any. OR do they still even give them to you? :confused: It HAS been 3 years.

Thank you very much for your help. We could probably do 4 nights but not 2 weeks, but I think this is mainly because we try to stick to the kids normal bedtime, we find that they (and therefore me) are not cranky if they get a good nights sleep. It isn't my ideal to sit in a darkened room while they get off to sleep. But I am really looking forward to seeing what the Poly is like. I think I might request Aotearoa, given that is the Maori name for New Zealand which is where I am from.

Kirsten

Given that you will have 5 people in the room, I would suggest asking for Tokelau, Tahiti, or Rapa Nui as these longhouses have larger rooms and every room has a balcony or patio. That will give the kids extra space to play and you and DH can hang on the balcony/patio while the kids are sleeping:thumbsup2 Also--these rooms have 2 padded easy chairs instead of one--one for mom and one for dad!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter