ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Winter 2011 Edition

^^^ When will the rehab be done???

It's only rumor at this point but a few bloggers have heard it through people they at WDW, so how much of it shakes out remains to be seen and it may not start for a year or two. They just finished a general rehab of the buildings about 2 yrs ago.

Sandym718 - thanks for the mini-review and the pic of the east pool. I agree totally. if they ARE putting in a zero entry, either they are way off schedule or we are not pool builders and have no idea how they put that part in:lmao:

I was thinking....if the rumor ends up true about the raze and rebuild.....I hope they take this opportunity to make the longhouses 4 or 5 stories and put balconies on EVERY level:goodvibes if they do this, DVC would not be a big deal taking rooms out of inventory AND the new DVC at GF would not look as obtrusive.

I was thinking....if the rumor ends up true about the raze and rebuild.....I hope they take this opportunity to make the longhouses 4 or 5 stories and put balconies on EVERY level:goodvibes if they do this, DVC would not be a big deal taking rooms out of inventory AND the new DVC at GF would not look as obtrusive.

I just can't see how this rumoured plan wouldn't be insanely expensive - to level the resort and completely rebuild? Especially when things have been refurbed not that long ago. It would also be a project that would take a few years. Could WDW afford this (to temporarily shut down and completely rebuild a resort that is consistently booked) while also doing a DVC build at GF & the Fantasyland expansion?!

Wow, I can't go to work any more! The thread errupted after being so very quiet!!

First of all...if a hen was pooping on my porch I would be eating hen for dinner :headache: I'm just sayin :mad: Yum, Yum.... :rolleyes1

The Poly was rehabbed in 2006. It took about a year to redo every Longhouse, including the newer ones. Plus they have recently replaced outer stairwells of a few Longhouses and other maintence on roofs and so forth. I think if a major rehab is planned it won't be for a while but that being said it would not surprise me. They added BLT to the CR. They have these plans for GF DVC. It is only a matter of time until they have to do something to update the Poly. Whether it be DVC or just total rehab.

It would probably being a rolling rehab if any? They can try and steer people to the new resort or SSR but they are not going to try and ship me there when I chose to stay at the Poly for location. They can put me up and the GF or CR.

Ahhh, the Disney rumor mill. Gotta love it!! :rolleyes:

I am so envious of all these tickers counting down...I have not even reached my ADR date yet :sad2:

Another thing....do you really think they will keep building DVC if they cannot even fill SSR and OKW?

A friend of mine just returned from a stay at SSR and she said the place was a ghost town most of the time :confused3

Just wondering popcorn::

Wow, I can't go to work any more! The thread errupted after being so very quiet!!

First of all...if a hen was pooping on my porch I would be eating hen for dinner :headache: I'm just sayin :mad: Yum, Yum.... :rolleyes1

The Poly was rehabbed in 2006. It took about a year to redo every Longhouse, including the newer ones. Plus they have recently replaced outer stairwells of a few Longhouses and other maintence on roofs and so forth. I think if a major rehab is planned it won't be for a while but that being said it would not surprise me. They added BLT to the CR. They have these plans for GF DVC. It is only a matter of time until they have to do something to update the Poly. Whether it be DVC or just total rehab.

It would probably being a rolling rehab if any? They can try and steer people to the new resort or SSR but they are not going to try and ship me there when I chose to stay at the Poly for location. They can put me up and the GF or CR.

Ahhh, the Disney rumor mill. Gotta love it!! :rolleyes:

I am so envious of all these tickers counting down...I have not even reached my ADR date yet :sad2:

It will be here before you know it! I felt the same way, and then once I had my ADRs set time has started to fly. I can't believe how fast it's going, but I also have a newborn lol

Another thing....do you really think they will keep building DVC if they cannot even fill SSR and OKW?

A friend of mine just returned from a stay at SSR and she said the place was a ghost town most of the time :confused3

Just wondering popcorn::

IMO the problem with SSR and OKW is they lack location and theming. All the other DVC resorts have been built at resorts that have a great location or a great theme that keeps their villas booked. AKL is the only DVC that IMO isn't in a prime location, but it has a great theme, the savannah, and the awesome pool. BLT is the only one without a great theme (again IMHO), however being on the monorail keeps the villas booked. I can honestly say that I wouldn't stay at SSR or OKW even if I got bumped there. I'd rather stay at ANYWHERE than those 2. :scared1:

I still can't help but think someone is messing with us. I mean, seriously, I refuse to believe that TPTB are so stupid as to think that people who would book the Poly - based largely on ambiance & location - wouldn't howl at their reservations being shuffled over to a value or SS (a DD ghost town). I can't even imagine that they would think that Poly peeps who had to choose another resort if Poly wasn't available would even willingly take those two options as alternate choices.

WOW! Lots of activity on the thread today!

I am firmly in the catagory of those who do not want the Poly to turn into a DVC property, although from Disney's perspective, it would be a HUGE cash cow. They would sell out within a month. People would give their firstborn children and sign in blood to own in paradise.

On a side note, if they are planning on doing a total rehab starting in 2012, I guess it gives me an excuse to do that Christmas trip I've been mulling over. :thumbsup2 One last hurrah at the "old" Poly.

I was sitting at work today Poly dreaming, and I made my view from our last room in Aotorea my wallpaper. It is a lagoon view room, but you still have a clear view of the MK.

IMG_0712.jpg

Ahhhh.....I can't wait to go back next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still can't help but think someone is messing with us. I mean, seriously, I refuse to believe that TPTB are so stupid as to think that people who would book the Poly - based largely on ambiance & location - wouldn't howl at their reservations being shuffled over to a value or SS (a DD ghost town). I can't even imagine that they would think that Poly peeps who had to choose another resort if Poly wasn't available would even willingly take those two options as alternate choices.

Maybe rather than to the OKW or SSR, they are all trying to push us to their new Aulani resort in Hawaii. That's it Disney! I see through your little plan here! Cause you know if they serve Lapu Lapu's most of us are there. If you serve it, they will come...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This wasn't first posted on April Fool's Day, was it? :confused3 That would be an unusually cruel AF's joke!

5 weeks!!!!!

We made a request over the phone, Tokelau with a balcony. What are the odds of getting a request? We will be checking in and out on a Tuesday (may 10th). Our backup was for Fiji, but not Im 2nd guessing that since it seems pretty far and no balcony. What would be a good runnerup if Tokelau is unavailable?
Thanks!!!
We are very excited. This is our dream resort- and such a huge price diff from a moderate that Im really just wanting everything to go smooth. I.E husband not to complain that we have a view of a parking lot or have to walk far etc... lol.

It is a lovely resort :goodvibes

Tokelau is one of the longhouses that has balconies on the second and third floors, so you shouldn't have a problem getting your request. :)

For a backup, I think Fiji is a good one, but Samoa would work well too. If your main request was "Balcony - Tokelau" then you should be able to get what you want. :)

Have a great stay! :goodvibes

Just sent our completed questionnaire to the Poly IPO! Very excited! :banana: When your trip is still over 6 months away it's the small victories that help!

Hi All!

Any posts about the CL at the Poly? Can anyone give me any information? Is it still good, or have they had cutbacks?

Thanks again!
Brunette

My family & I stayed CL at the Poly in Dec. I wouldn't pay CL if it's just to have access for the snacks, etc. We rarely use it for that (mostly would grab a coke). There were times when the snacks were completely gone or someone had thrown back a half eaten cookie. The finger food offered was nice but it wasn't alot. I found that some guests were not considerate of other guests but the staff was lovely. All being said & done we stay there for the location not the other amenities. Therefore we haven't
been disappointed by the lounge provisions. So it depends on what you want.

We are staying at Poly for the first time in OCT. CL room. Wondering how many ADR's to make?? Some of the offerings seem like you can make a meal out of them. Also is the food at Capt Cooks good?

We are staying at Poly for the first time in OCT. CL room. Wondering how many ADR's to make?? Some of the offerings seem like you can make a meal out of them. Also is the food at Capt Cooks good?
Hi jjiilee! It looks like we will be staying Poly CL the same time as you, as well as Breezysmom & woodkins. This will be our first time actually staying CL, so it will be a learning experience for us! We have planned 4 ADR's (for a week long trip). We have planned to have a big meal mid-day and then hope that the CL offerings will be adequate for a late afternoon light meal/snack (we usually find we way over eat while at WDW!) The days that we don't have ADR's we plan on a CS lunch or eating our way around the world during the F&W at Epcot.

And about CC's, yes, we have always found the food good there. We really enjoy the noodle bowls and the club sandwich.

Another CL first-timer, though we'll be there at the end of September. :goodvibes

We're kinda "don't want to be pinned down" people, so we've only got 2 ADRs during the Poly portion of our trip. We're doing the Garden View Tea Room one afternoon and dinner at Kona the night before we leave. For the first part of our trip, during our stay at the BC, we've only got 3 ADRs: 2 at Cape May (breakfast and dinner) and one for TRex since the kiddo adores dinosaurs. :eek: I don't do well with too much commitment... :laughing:

I am firmly in the catagory of those who do not want the Poly to turn into a DVC property, although from Disney's perspective, it would be a HUGE cash cow. They would sell out within a month. People would give their firstborn children and sign in blood to own in paradise.

:lmao:

Yes, the food at Captain Cooks is good! I love getting a Mickey waffle for breakfast. You can even get the famous Tonga Toast here if you aren't able to sit down at Kona Cafe. And you can get the uber-famous dole whips here as well! I also like their grown up grilled cheese with assorted homeade chips - yum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter