ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Winter 2011 Edition

And on a total different topic, it was so fun when I discovered WDW new webpages today, all of a sudden i got a great big picture of the poly, and the text "Soon you´ll be here at Disney´s Polynesian Resort"
And Donald stating, 71 days to your vacation.
Kinda geeky and cool, I just had to share the fun :cool1:

That is really cool. Make their website feel a bit more personal.:thumbsup2 it's nice to see your resort and dining reservations at the same time:cool1:

Anyone excited about the new star tours update?:woohoo: from what we hear it's going to be ready May 20th.

That is really cool. Make their website feel a bit more personal.:thumbsup2 it's nice to see your resort and dining reservations at the same time:cool1:

Anyone excited about the new star tours update?:woohoo: from what we hear it's going to be ready May 20th.

We're going in June and will be sure to check out the new Star tours. My son loves anything star wars so I think this is an improvement.

We're also super excited to check out Phineas and Ferb who should be in DHS also at that time. Should be a great trip!:thumbsup2

.....Anyone excited about the new star tours update?:woohoo: from what we hear it's going to be ready May 20th.

We will be there May 26th...can't wait to see it! Bet it will be packed, though...going to have to get there early!!!

......We're also super excited to check out Phineas and Ferb who should be in DHS also at that time. Should be a great trip!:thumbsup2

Do you know where they will be? All 3 of my kids LOVE them!!!

After looking at this new Poly thread, I'm soooooo second guessing myself about our resort choice for our next trip. The kids wanted to stay at the CR soley because of the monorail and Tower. They loved the Poly, but wanted to try a new resort:confused3...and we did get 30% off the room, so I can't complain....HOWEVER....it's not going to be the Poly. If only Disney would offer the 40% off like they did last year....I would sooooo be on that!

ok! we're all booked at the poly for our Sept trip!! ah!! I hope we love it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will absolutely love it!!! :thumbsup2 It's the only resort we have ever stayed at and the only one we ever WANT to stay at!!. The look, the sounds, the smells, everything. It's the closest thing to heaven on earth! :cloud9: I have no doubt it will spoil you for every other resort. I cannot WAIT to go back "home" in May!!! :woohoo:

pigletto, I went back and re-read your post, and I guess I assumed that you would be transferring your luggage in-between resorts. Are you aware you can do this? If you do know, sorry, disregard! If not, you can check your luggage in with bell services at CSR early in the morning and they will transfer it to the Polynesian for you. You could, go right to Epcot and check in to the Poly later and then have your luggage delivered to your room from bell services there.
Or, like you said, you can take a cab with your luggage and check it in with bell services at the Polynesian and have it delivered after you return when your room is ready or when you are done for the day.
If I'm giving you information you already know, sorry! I've done WDW lots of times and never knew I could do this :)

Thank you minniebeth. I had heard that before but I think I had forgotten. Maybe that is the best option. I could just bring my luggage down to Bell Services and head for the Poly. I think I will start the check in process before making our way to Epcot, and then leave for the day. It all sounds much easier that way. I'll just make sure we have what we need for the day before leaving the luggage. Really, I think we'll be fine with our wallets and the clothes on our backs. Life is so much easier now that the kids are older:goodvibes. No need to lug things around with us.

How fun to return from Disney and find a new Poly FAQ winter 2011 thread! I love all the new pictures! Thanks guitarob! The Polynesian is our absolute favorite and usually where we stay. Last there for 9 nights in Dec. We just returned from a pretty spur of the moment visit to south FL to visit my folks. Squeezed in 3 nights at Disney at the start and 4 at the end. Stayed in CSR and CBR this time to save some money but visited the Polynesian to stroll the grounds, visit the shops, eat, etc. Oh, how I love it there. Trips just aren't quite the same if I am not staying there. The Polynesian is so much a part of my overall vacation experience, and all you Poly lovers know what I mean. The reasons are many. Reservations made with a bounceback for our return to the Poly in Nov! :) I can begin my countdown now! :) The excitement never fades! Oh, just to confirm... there was no work being done on the quiet pool when we popped over to the Poly a few times. I strolled over to check.

Hi,

New to the Dis boards, but have been reading them alot, thought I would post.

We stayed at the Poly 2 years ago in early October, paid for TPV and was upgraded to CL.

We received a PIN code and while we were not planning a trip this year, thought maybe we would go anyway. wanting to stay at the Poly again and this time we are planning on going in late Sept, which from my understanding is the least crowded time of year??

What are our chances of being upgraded again? My husband thinks it's because we paid for TPV and maybe due to lack of visitors, they close down certain longhouses so that don't have to staff them, etc. If we are going in Sept. should we pay for TPV again and hope for the best, or should we just pay for Garden View Club (they are about the same price, one a little more than the other, but not much). Last time we were in the Hawaii on the ground level with TPV and Lagoon View. Was great when kids were napping as we could sit on the patio and enjoy some drinks. Also, our children are smaller, so the breakfast at club is fine for them. Any thoughts? We do not buy the dining plan and we drive so we bring snacks, etc. and leave them in the room to bring with us to the parks. Do easy lunch and splurge on dinner.

TIA!

Hi,

New to the Dis boards, but have been reading them alot, thought I would post.

We stayed at the Poly 2 years ago in early October, paid for TPV and was upgraded to CL.

We received a PIN code and while we were not planning a trip this year, thought maybe we would go anyway. wanting to stay at the Poly again and this time we are planning on going in late Sept, which from my understanding is the least crowded time of year??

What are our chances of being upgraded again? My husband thinks it's because we paid for TPV and maybe due to lack of visitors, they close down certain longhouses so that don't have to staff them, etc. If we are going in Sept. should we pay for TPV again and hope for the best, or should we just pay for Garden View Club (they are about the same price, one a little more than the other, but not much). Last time we were in the Hawaii on the ground level with TPV and Lagoon View. Was great when kids were napping as we could sit on the patio and enjoy some drinks. Also, our children are smaller, so the breakfast at club is fine for them. Any thoughts? We do not buy the dining plan and we drive so we bring snacks, etc. and leave them in the room to bring with us to the parks. Do easy lunch and splurge on dinner.

TIA!

Late September is less crowded and just before the crowds hit for Food & Wine which begins on 9/30/11.

I would never rely upon an upgrade and always book what I would be happy receiving. Personally, I would go for GV CL over a TPV. We would rather enjoy the amenities offered in Hawaii because we prefer to be outside when we are at the Polynesian and seldom take advantage of our "view" on the balcony or patio. :woohoo:

We aren't dining plan people either. It has always been our practice to do a large lunch, return to the resort for the afternoon, enjoy the evening offerings and return to a park for the evening. If we are hungry, we grab a counter service bite and will most times return to the Polynesian for desserts and Wishes. That scenario has worked well for us since our kids were small and even now that they are grown.

Enjoy your planning and hope you get a return visit!

I'm getting ready to book a stay at the Poly (first time) with DD1 and DS3. We'll be getting a garden view room. Any recommendations on specific room requests or building requests? Will it increase my odds of getting a good building if I request one of several buildings?

I'm thinking that Barotonga, Tangaroa, or Niue would be best (close to GCH, monorail, and between TTC and GCH). Thoughts?

Thanks!

We will be there May 26th...can't wait to see it! Bet it will be packed, though...going to have to get there early!!!

Do you know where they will be? All 3 of my kids LOVE them!!!

After looking at this new Poly thread, I'm soooooo second guessing myself about our resort choice for our next trip. The kids wanted to stay at the CR soley because of the monorail and Tower. They loved the Poly, but wanted to try a new resort:confused3...and we did get 30% off the room, so I can't complain....HOWEVER....it's not going to be the Poly. If only Disney would offer the 40% off like they did last year....I would sooooo be on that!

Hi Heather,

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short, but I started reading your trip report yesterday. I love it!! I just laughed as I read your post above, knowing that you are an early person while at Disney. We are booked at the Poly 6/3-6/12-can't wait!

I'm getting ready to book a stay at the Poly (first time) with DD1 and DS3. We'll be getting a garden view room. Any recommendations on specific room requests or building requests? Will it increase my odds of getting a good building if I request one of several buildings?

I'm thinking that Barotonga, Tangaroa, or Niue would be best (close to GCH, monorail, and between TTC and GCH). Thoughts?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Poly thread:yay: The Poly is great! You will have a wonderful time.

One of the best things about Poly is there really are no bad longhouses. Every longhouse has its own special advantages. It is better to request what you need in a room rather than a specific longhouse for garden view. If the longhouse is not available for your stay, they have no info to meet your needs. It sounds like you want to be between the TTC and the GCH. I would suggest requesting "near East pool" so that could mean Samoa, Roratonga, Nuie, And Tokelau. Tahiti and Rapa Nui would also be possible. If a patio or balcony is a must, I would add that too. Honestly, the resort is not that big so walking isn't a big deal. We love staying in Tokelau but ended up in Aotearoa last visit. Loved it. The music from the luau and the people watching really added to the whole tropical experience. Remember, if you get to your room and aren't happy, you can always asked to be moved.

Have fun:goodvibes --OH--PS--Tangaroa does not house guest rooms. It is the kids club, laundry room, banquet facilities and maintenance.

Hi. We are currently booked at the Beach club in the spring, but now have to change our dates & there is availability at Poly! My Dh wants to stay at an Epcot resort (we stayed at Blt last April). We have a DS who is 6 & a DD who is 2. Something keeps drawing me to all the Poly info, so I am thinking I should switch. We went to the Luau last year and Ohana's breakfast & loved both. You all make it sound so wonderful!! On the tikiman's site it says last room rehab was 2010, does anyone know what was done? I thought the rooms were changed in 2008.

Nicole

OK, time for another question! My son is a very, very picky eater (he has a sensory disorder). We'll need peanut butter and jelly available, as it's pretty much all he will eat. Do they have it in the gift shop? What about just loaves of bread? We'll also need lots of whole milk for DD1. Is that available?

I did Garden Grocer last year, but we'll be on DDxP so won't need much else and I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Hi. We are currently booked at the Beach club in the spring, but now have to change our dates & there is availability at Poly! My Dh wants to stay at an Epcot resort (we stayed at Blt last April). We have a DS who is 6 & a DD who is 2. Something keeps drawing me to all the Poly info, so I am thinking I should switch. We went to the Luau last year and Ohana's breakfast & loved both. You all make it sound so wonderful!! On the tikiman's site it says last room rehab was 2010, does anyone know what was done? I thought the rooms were changed in 2008.

Nicole

They have just been refreshing the rooms at Poly. Replacing soft goods and freshing the furniture...that sort of thing. Same patterns and such. I believe they have also been installing newer showerheads as well. Good luck with DH:goodvibes

OK, time for another question! My son is a very, very picky eater (he has a sensory disorder). We'll need peanut butter and jelly available, as it's pretty much all he will eat. Do they have it in the gift shop? What about just loaves of bread? We'll also need lots of whole milk for DD1. Is that available?

I did Garden Grocer last year, but we'll be on DDxP so won't need much else and I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

You can get uncrustables pbj sandwiches in CCs for sure. Not sure if they are a snack credit or ?? I *think* they have bread there as well and jelly packets ...maybe peanut butter packets too but not sure the cost of the bread. You could go over to WL where they would have more choices since there is a DVC there. Those shops tend to have more variety. Maybe someone else will pop in with a more definitive for you. Plenty of milk in several sizes.

You can get uncrustables pbj sandwiches in CCs for sure. Not sure if they are a snack credit or ?? I *think* they have bread there as well and jelly packets ...maybe peanut butter packets too but not sure the cost of the bread. You could go over to WL where they would have more choices since there is a DVC there. Those shops tend to have more variety. Maybe someone else will pop in with a more definitive for you. Plenty of milk in several sizes.
Don't forget they can also take the Resort Monorail to the Contemporary and look for those items at the Fantasia Market, because of Bay Lake Tower and those staying DVC over there would need more food items for sale. Plus it's easier then getting to the Wilderness Lodge.

I am sure you could get bread somewhere.. and as for the pb and Jam.. could you pack some? I am thinking some Ziploc baggies of the small individual packets they give you at breakfast some places. They would be fine in your checked luggage I think. Not entirely sure where you could buy them though. Maybe a small plastic jar of peanut butter in a large ziploc and the squeeze bottle of jam? It seems like it would be a waste to do a garden grocer order for so few items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter