ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Winter 2011 Edition

Thanks, Rob, for the new thread!!! Looks GREAT!!

Great thread and the pics are gorgeous!!

I'm so excited that I can now contribute to this thread! We just got back from a stay at the Poly 1/29-2/5, and LOVED it!! I had read so many mixed reviews, but FWIW, here's my take:

Check-in was a breeze. I did online check-in, and was the only person in that line, so it took just minutes.

Just after check-in, I had my first encounter with the outstanding Disney service. My DD5 decided she didn't want to sit in the car while we were unloading the bags, so she stealthily took off. When we couldn't find her, I ran back to the GCH and asked the online check-in CM if she had seen her. She remembered her name and description, and immediately called security, who tracked her down within minutes! I couldn't thank them enough for helping us resolve that very scary situation.

We let the tiki gods choose our room, and ended up in Tokelau.:worship: We paid for garden view, and what we got was a 2nd floor balcony that overlooked the foliage in the middle, the quiet pool to the left, and the lagoon to the right. We could see Wishes and the Electrical Water Pageant from our balcony.

Mousekeeping was great the entire week, and the room was clean and without obvious wear and tear.

We ate at each of the restaurants, and all were very good.

Every CM was friendly to a fault, and never failed to greet us with "Aloha!".

I can't say enough good things about the Poly! Thanks for all the info this thread provides for newbies like me!!:thumbsup2

So glad you loved it, we do too!! And Tokelau is our favorite building, great location!

Thanks so much for doing the new thread, guitarob! It's AWESOME! Best hotel thread! The photos are gorgeous! Anytime anyone ever asks...Poly, or ?? ever again, all they have to do is look at this thread, and go no further!:goodvibes

It's only been 25 days since my last day at the Polynesian. Not that I'm counting or anything. I love this thread to get over my missing it. :flower3:

Not that I don't appreciate your hard work and all, buuuuuut...I thought we were skipping "winter" and heading straight into spring. ;)

Great job!! Takes a bit of the sting away from the 200+ days on our countdown. :)

We are trying to decide between GF and Poly right now..

Having a patio or balcony is a big deal for us, so that we can sit outside while the kids are sleeping.

Is the Poly generally good about granting requests? I'd really really like to request Tokelau with a little bit of confidence in getting it, and not second guess our choice of not just being "safe" and going with the GF.

thoughts??

Having a patio or balcony is a big deal for us, so that we can sit outside while the kids are sleeping.

Is the Poly generally good about granting requests? I'd really really like to request Tokelau with a little bit of confidence in getting it, and not second guess our choice of not just being "safe" and going with the GF.

thoughts??

We have stayed at the Poly twice. Both times we had three requests on our reservation (Tahiti/3rd floor/connecting & Tuvalu/3rd floor/connecting). Both times we got 2 of the 3 requests granted. I think the CM's make every effort. I've heard that you should list the requests in order of importance so the room assigners know what is more of a priority for you. Fortunately Tokelau has balconies on both the 2nd & 3rd floor, so if you get Tokelau you are guaranteed an outdoor space. I would suggest requesting "Tokelau, balcony or patio". It sounds redundant since Tokelau has balconies on both upper floors, but if the CM's can't get you into Tokelau they will know that in an alternate long house an outdoor space is important to you. Good luck!!

guitarob -- Wonderful new Poly thread. Thank you so much for the extra info and plentiful pics. I am in awe :worship: Your efforts are VERY much appreciated.:goodvibes

Wow has this been busy since I last posted. Gotta catch up now...:surfweb:

thoughts??

It really depends on the time of year that you go. But if you just ask for a balcony.. You have a pretty good shot.

I can tell you that there is a huge difference between GF and Poly. Poly is much better.. GF to us is more stuff shirt and proper. The Poly is more laid back. They are like two different worlds. If I were you I would weigh my decision more on the atmosphere than a balcony. We are happy being there. :banana:But we have all teens. And ones with little ones definitely benefit from a first floor patio.:thumbsup2

mousekatool--Thanks for the review. Glad you had a wonderful time.

Freiden8--We have gotten our top floor request both times but only got Tokelau once. Our second visit we were in Aotearoa and it turned out to be a wonderful longhouse as well. I wouldn't stress over which longhouse as they are all great locations for different reasons and the resort is not very big. I would make your request as balcony/patio, Tokelau OR balcony/patio, near TTC. I agree with PP about GF and Poly being vastly different. We like to stay at Poly for the laid back tropical atmosphere, transportation options, and room size/layout AND we like to eat at Narcoosees and 1900 PF which is such a lovely stroll from the Poly. Just go with the atmosphere you like best:thumbsup2

thoughts??

Hello, fellow Ohioan!! Tokelau woudl be a great request. As the above poster said, balconies on both 2nd and 3rd, so no matter where you are, you'll have outdoor space. Our kids napped on our first 2 trips, and we requested 1st floor Tokelau. That allowed us the freedom to take a walk (one at a time of course!), get a snack, etc. We love that location so much, we're requesting it again. On our 2nd trip, we couldn't get it the first night, but we moved for the rest of the trip and it was so worth it!

We have stayed at the Poly twice. Both times we had three requests on our reservation (Tahiti/3rd floor/connecting & Tuvalu/3rd floor/connecting). Both times we got 2 of the 3 requests granted. I think the CM's make every effort. I've heard that you should list the requests in order of importance so the room assigners know what is more of a priority for you. Fortunately Tokelau has balconies on both the 2nd & 3rd floor, so if you get Tokelau you are guaranteed an outdoor space. I would suggest requesting "Tokelau, balcony or patio". It sounds redundant since Tokelau has balconies on both upper floors, but if the CM's can't get you into Tokelau they will know that in an alternate long house an outdoor space is important to you. Good luck!!
thanks for that advice!

It really depends on the time of year that you go. But if you just ask for a balcony.. You have a pretty good shot.

I can tell you that there is a huge difference between GF and Poly. Poly is much better.. GF to us is more stuff shirt and proper. The Poly is more laid back. They are like two different worlds. If I were you I would weigh my decision more on the atmosphere than a balcony. We are happy being there. :banana:But we have all teens. And ones with little ones definitely benefit from a first floor patio.:thumbsup2
we're looking at Sept 4-9, this year. :goodvibes

:thumbsup2 Couldn't agree more. GF just doesn't seem like a family resort to me. I know there are folks on this board who love it and swear it's as family friendly as any other resort to me, but I like a little more chaos going on so my kids can blend in easier. :laughing:

Hello everyone, what are your thoughts on the FIJI longhouse?

It is well known here that I am a Figi lover. I have stayed on both sides of the Longhouse. Third floor both times. I love the location. The views are fabulous and I was not bothered by the Luau sounds at all. As a matter of fact, the music is actually enjoyable.

It it close to the GCH and the pool, but a bit farther walk from the TTC but my family and I do not mind the walks.

Here are some pics.

Marina side...
disneyworld2008490.jpg

disneyworld2008489.jpg

disneyworld2008488.jpg

Luau/GF View from other side...(sorry, I don't have more)

IMG_4955-1.jpg

Not bad considering the whole building is considered GV :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter