• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! Wondering about online checkin. Do you think stopping in at the front desk is a worthwhile experience? We've never stayed at the Poly before. While getting access to our room via text sounds nice, I don't know if we should go that route.

Just back & I did the right-to-room check-in. It did lose something not coming in to the lobby! I was in Epcot when I got the text that my room was ready, and since it was Pago Pago, I walked the path over from the TTC. Literally 1 min. walk from the monorail at the TTC, but there was no "grand entrance" lol! No issues getting into the room at all. They do provide a resort map with the text that your room is ready in case you're not familiar with the longhouses.

Just back & I did the right-to-room check-in. It did lose something not coming in to the lobby! I was in Epcot when I got the text that my room was ready, and since it was Pago Pago, I walked the path over from the TTC. Literally 1 min. walk from the monorail at the TTC, but there was no "grand entrance" lol! No issues getting into the room at all. They do provide a resort map with the text that your room is ready in case you're not familiar with the longhouses.
Thank you! I think I had seen something about getting Leis at checkin somewhere, as well. I imagine those don't arrive with the text. :)

Hi all! Wondering about online checkin. Do you think stopping in at the front desk is a worthwhile experience? We've never stayed at the Poly before. While getting access to our room via text sounds nice, I don't know if we should go that route.
Even if you do online checkin, you can always stop at the front desk. For example, you are not happy with your room assignment and would like to know if an alternate is available.

That's a good idea. We have to ask them about removing my brother from the reservation for four of our nights, in any case. I guess you can only do that at the front desk.

Just back from a quick stay at Pago Pago. Resort construction was much less invasive than in February, but we were awoken to construction noise around 7:30am. Also from Richard Petty - but isn't that closing soon? This was the 1st stay at Poly that I've ever heard that. We are late park people & late sleepers - so not the norm for most anyway. I'd guess most people are up & moving at 7:30 so the noise wouldn't bother you. Area in front of garden side of Hawaii was almost done, light construction there. Lots of construction at the longhouse on the marina, also a cherry picker at Samoa. There is a large wall up out side of Pago Pago as well, runs from the TTC towards the GCH. East Pool still open, seems like they widened a lot of the walkway areas with concrete. There are a few areas of concrete to be completed, they just have stones there for now. DVC grill area with picnic tables is done.

DVC studio was fantastic - right up there with VGF. Bathrooms were gorgeous but we did have tub drain issues. No issues keeping the room cool as reported in May. I will say that for me personally, while the DVC studio location is great for utilizing the TTC, I would prefer a regular Poly room instead just for location to the GCM & marina. I just didn't feel the "Poly love" being over there looking at the parking lot! The monorail did whiz by every 7 minutes (we had no monorail issues this trip!), but I've been spoiled by my past views at Poly. It felt like a hike going from the room to the boat dock in the 98 degree heat. I have a December reservation for DVC studio at Poly, I will request Tokelau & see how I feel after that, if the request is granted.

This was my 3rd trip there since the lobby refurb, and I really did try to give it a chance, but I'm just not into it. I still really miss the old lobby. REALLY MISS. Like, I sit in there & get teary remembering how it was. Also the water feature out back, that's gone & replaced by grass & concrete. That makes me sad. I also don't care for the kids splash area between the outdoor seating of CC & the pool, gone are the days of having a bite to eat out there while looking out over the pool & seeing the castle. I do like the extra seating outside by CC & Trader Sams walk-up window though. Pineapple Lanai is also a great little spot. I went in Trader Sams for a drink - $24 for a drink in a souvenir cup including tip. Ouch. There are no prices on the menu for drinks. That should give you an idea right there that you don't want to know! It was super duper tight & dark in there, not sure I need to return. But at least I can check it off my to-do list! The pool gates were tricky. Pool was very full yesterday. One thing to note - I LOVE hearing the Polynesian music at the pool - but the only seats we could get were right by the bar - where they play Caribbean music. I will remember to make sure to find chairs away from the bar. Wanted to try the hot tub - its gorgeous, but it was just too hot to consider it.

The front entrance has been re-done & I will say its an improvement. Nothing major, just a better water feature on the one side. It is beautiful.

Thank you! I think I had seen something about getting Leis at checkin somewhere, as well. I imagine those don't arrive with the text. :)

Wondering the same thing?? If you use online check in, do you receive the leis in your room??

I imagine we could always stroll over to the lobby and get them.

Wondering the same thing?? If you use online check in, do you receive the leis in your room??

I imagine we could always stroll over to the lobby and get them.

No, they were not in the room. I agree there's something special about getting the leis! Part of the experience!

We are going to Disney in late September 2015 and just switched from Contemporary to a Poly Studio Villa because of the Visa Cardholder discount that was released last night—it is actually savings us money. We have stayed at Poly in the past and love but construction has me concerned. I thought the East Pool construction had started but after reading comments here is hasn't any idea when it will start? Any ideas on how construction will be in September?

Following too... We have 8:05 ressies on 7/29 at BOG. Park opens at 9. Maybe I'll just call Poly directly and ask. :confused3

Long-time lurker so first post, but just got back from the Poly and had a similar situation so wanted to share my experience since I was worried about this myself before we left. We had 8:10 BOG reservations this past Tuesday, resort monorail didn't run until 8:30. Park opened on 9AM. We decided to give the bus a try - seemed the best option given the circumstances. Left the room at 7 or shortly thereafter, waited 5-8 mins for a bus. We were at the MK and in the breakfast reservation line 7:30-7:40ish (bus also stopped at GF). Probably 50-60 people in line at that point. If I remember correctly they let us in the park 7:55-8ish (I stopped focusing on my watch at that point once I knew we were good!). So, plan worked great for us. Not a ton of room for error, but close enough. In retrospect we also could have walked over to TTC and taken the ferry at that hour (I'm pretty sure?).

Side note, we really only made the BOG reservation to get in the park early to be close to 7DMT since I only could get FP much later that night (made the reservations late). We ate our breakfast somewhat quickly and then went to hover around where they stop you from walking any futher into Fantasyland. Have no idea if they normally open the ride a bit before rope drop like they did this morning but once they let us through we were able to ride 2 times before the masses arrived - litterally no line, got off, got right back on. It was perfect!

Friends, I'm in need of some HONEST opinions!

We are booked for 6 nights in October, family of 4 with 2 young kids. No dining plan, but a few character dining ressies have been made.

I'm strongly considering CL for the following reasons:
1. Breakfast w/o walking to GCH
2. No need to order fresh fruit from Garden Grocer
3. Snacks in the afternoon before/after swimming
3. Wine/dessert in the evenings (with the kids in bed early, we buy a bottle a night in the gift shop) Thinking about bringing wine from CL to our room...
4. Fireworks viewing w/ music

Out of our 7 days, we will be commandos for 2-3 days as other family members will be joining us.

With the construction (we'd book a CL Garden View) what are your honest opinions on CL at the Poly?

Currently, we are booked in a Std View with a request for Aotearoa, if that helps...

We are going to Disney in late September 2015 and just switched from Contemporary to a Poly Studio Villa because of the Visa Cardholder discount that was released last night—it is actually savings us money. We have stayed at Poly in the past and love but construction has me concerned. I thought the East Pool construction had started but after reading comments here is hasn't any idea when it will start? Any ideas on how construction will be in September?
Latest rumor is that east pool construction will begin after this weekend. We are going in December and received a letter that the pool would be under construction then, so you will likely be in the middle of it in September. But that *should* be the only major project going on at that time. No way to tell how disruptive it will be until it starts, but will be far worse than the main pool construction for sure. I wouldn't be concerned yet :)

Latest rumor is that east pool construction will begin after this weekend. We are going in December and received a letter that the pool would be under construction then, so you will likely be in the middle of it in September. But that *should* be the only major project going on at that time. No way to tell how disruptive it will be until it starts, but will be far worse than the main pool construction for sure. I wouldn't be concerned yet :)
Why do you think it will be worse than the main pool construction? Have you heard something?

No way to tell how disruptive it will be until it starts, but will be far worse than the main pool construction for sure. I wouldn't be concerned yet :)
You eally think it will be worse than the main pool construction? As I understand it, they tore up the resort pretty bad for that, right?

Long-time lurker so first post, but just got back from the Poly and had a similar situation so wanted to share my experience since I was worried about this myself before we left. We had 8:10 BOG reservations this past Tuesday, resort monorail didn't run until 8:30. Park opened on 9AM. We decided to give the bus a try - seemed the best option given the circumstances. Left the room at 7 or shortly thereafter, waited 5-8 mins for a bus. We were at the MK and in the breakfast reservation line 7:30-7:40ish (bus also stopped at GF). Probably 50-60 people in line at that point. If I remember correctly they let us in the park 7:55-8ish (I stopped focusing on my watch at that point once I knew we were good!). So, plan worked great for us. Not a ton of room for error, but close enough. In retrospect we also could have walked over to TTC and taken the ferry at that hour (I'm pretty sure?).

Side note, we really only made the BOG reservation to get in the park early to be close to 7DMT since I only could get FP much later that night (made the reservations late). We ate our breakfast somewhat quickly and then went to hover around where they stop you from walking any futher into Fantasyland. Have no idea if they normally open the ride a bit before rope drop like they did this morning but once they let us through we were able to ride 2 times before the masses arrived - litterally no line, got off, got right back on. It was perfect!

Thanks for the info! I called guest relations and they said the tend to do the monorail returns during the day when not as many people are utilizing the monorail. He said we'd be able to take the boat. He also said they would actually let us in the park at 7, which I was very surprised! I just don't want to have to get in the park at 8 and rush down main street to get to BOG. Maybe I'll just take a taxi. I feel like I rush every day in 'real' life, I just want to take my time in the morning, then hit the rides. Anyone know about how much a taxi ride would be from poly to MK?

Why do you think it will be worse than the main pool construction? Have you heard something?

You eally think it will be worse than the main pool construction? As I understand it, they tore up the resort pretty bad for that, right?

I believe the East pool is changing the direction in which it faces so they will have to make a whole new foundation. I would say the East pool construction will be worse, but really only affecting the surrounding longhouses.

Edit: I also think tikiman said a while ago that they will also be building a grill and bar area or something like that at the East pool. You can see the building south of the pool in this resort map.
new-poly-map.jpg

Most of the standard rooms are those surrounding long houses though, aren't they? I was thinking I'd stay on the monorail side of raratonga for the proximity to the TTC, but I don't know if that will be a bad idea by late August.

Thanks for the info! I called guest relations and they said the tend to do the monorail returns during the day when not as many people are utilizing the monorail. He said we'd be able to take the boat. He also said they would actually let us in the park at 7, which I was very surprised! I just don't want to have to get in the park at 8 and rush down main street to get to BOG. Maybe I'll just take a taxi. I feel like I rush every day in 'real' life, I just want to take my time in the morning, then hit the rides. Anyone know about how much a taxi ride would be from poly to MK?
You do not want to take a taxi to MK. They cannot drop you at the MK, they will drop you at the TTC. You could take a taxi to BLT and walk but I bet the bus would be just as fast and actually easier.

Most of the standard rooms are those surrounding long houses though, aren't they? I was thinking I'd stay on the monorail side of raratonga for the proximity to the TTC, but I don't know if that will be a bad idea by late August.

Yeah 3 out of 5 of those longhouses are standard rooms. I also don't know how bad it will be at the end of August and who knows, maybe the plans changed. :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter