Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! In the process of researching for a summer 2016 trip and we are considering the Poly. We have stayed at the Yacht Club the past 2 times and really enjoy the location and pool. My husband and I have always been interested in the Poly since we were kids but I'm a little concerned about it being a monorail property (what do you do if it breaks down)? Do many of you get park hoppers and is it easy to manage based on the Poly location? We are used to walking to Epcot and taking the short bus ride to Hollywood Studios, but the bus ride to AK and MK is long from YC. I'm just curious if we would be disappointed by the location or if there are perks that I'm not aware of.

Thanks so much!!!

Hi everyone! In the process of researching for a summer 2016 trip and we are considering the Poly. We have stayed at the Yacht Club the past 2 times and really enjoy the location and pool. My husband and I have always been interested in the Poly since we were kids but I'm a little concerned about it being a monorail property (what do you do if it breaks down)? Do many of you get park hoppers and is it easy to manage based on the Poly location? We are used to walking to Epcot and taking the short bus ride to Hollywood Studios, but the bus ride to AK and MK is long from YC. I'm just curious if we would be disappointed by the location or if there are perks that I'm not aware of.

Thanks so much!!!

We have had several very enjoyable stays at both the YC and Polynesian. For us, the main thing we miss from the YC when we are staying at a monorail resort is the ability to walk to Epcot for dinner reservations in the evenings. So when we stay at the Polynesian or GF, we just try to schedule one evening at Epcot, simply because we tend to get very lazy in the afternoons napping and lounging by the pool and want something relatively close by.

When the monorail isn't running, they provide buses and there is always boat transportation between the resort and MK. (I think if you go back a few pages, someone posted some helpful information about transportation when the monorails are down.) We always get park hoppers and have found them very easy to manage from the monorail resorts. It's especially easy from the Polynesian because the TTC is within walking distance.

The YC and Polynesian are great resorts and we have had wonderful vacations at both. Enjoy your planning! There is a lot of good information in this thread.

Has anyone taken kids to Trader Sam's? I'd love to check it out while we are there in December, for just a little snack and a drink, but wondering if it's "kid friendly"? I realize we will need to go early in the evening, before the age restriction comes into play, but even then, is it an appropriate place to take the little ones (both under 10)? TIA!

Has anyone taken kids to Trader Sam's? I'd love to check it out while we are there in December, for just a little snack and a drink, but wondering if it's "kid friendly"? I realize we will need to go early in the evening, before the age restriction comes into play, but even then, is it an appropriate place to take the little ones (both under 10)? TIA!

We haven't been to the one at the Poly, but we took our kids (7, 12, 14) to the one at Disneyland and it was not a problem at all. They enjoyed reading all the stuff on the wall and the cool effects when the specialty drinks were ordered.

It depends on how much your kids will want to get up and move around. They have servers that need to get through and do their act. If the kids just sit and enjoy I am sure it will be fine.

We haven't been to the one at the Poly, but we took our kids (7, 12, 14) to the one at Disneyland and it was not a problem at all. They enjoyed reading all the stuff on the wall and the cool effects when the specialty drinks were ordered.
Ditto. Only been to one at DL with 3 & 8 year old boys at the time. Liked decor and effects and got fancy drinks in plastic tiki souvenir cups. They loved the cups and still use them.

We have had several very enjoyable stays at both the YC and Polynesian. For us, the main thing we miss from the YC when we are staying at a monorail resort is the ability to walk to Epcot for dinner reservations in the evenings. So when we stay at the Polynesian or GF, we just try to schedule one evening at Epcot, simply because we tend to get very lazy in the afternoons napping and lounging by the pool and want something relatively close by.

When the monorail isn't running, they provide buses and there is always boat transportation between the resort and MK. (I think if you go back a few pages, someone posted some helpful information about transportation when the monorails are down.) We always get park hoppers and have found them very easy to manage from the monorail resorts. It's especially easy from the Polynesian because the TTC is within walking distance.

The YC and Polynesian are great resorts and we have had wonderful vacations at both. Enjoy your planning! There is a lot of good information in this thread.

Thank you for much for your opinion, I value it since you have stayed at both! That's a good point about being able to mosey on over to Epcot on a whim. My son loved Agent P last time we went and we went to Epcot several evenings just to play. I'll have to figure out which benefit outweighs the other, it would be nice to be close to the TTC and go wherever you please :)
Thanks again!!

For sure the ferry from TTC to the MK will be operating early. The thing I am unsure about is the hours that the ferry from the Poly to the MK will be operating. I would guess because the monorail wont be operating early, the ferry from the Poly will be more frequent, or start early..or both. But if not, you can either walk to the TTC or drive. You wont miss your ADR!!

Really? How early will the ferry begin its run from the TTC? I'm staying Poly DVC, so will be using transportation at the TTC instead of Poly.

Oops! Just read your reply to another post. :upsidedow

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they are assigning rooms in the long houses facing the quiet pool construction? I would like to request Samoa as my only request to try and increase my chances of getting it but I wonder if that request would put me directly facing the construction. My main thing is I'd love to be close to the pool & the monorail.

Really? How early will the ferry begin its run from the TTC? I'm staying Poly DVC, so will be using transportation at the TTC instead of Poly.

Oops! Just read your reply to another post. :upsidedow

This is what I found on Disney Moms panel...

The Monorail schedules have been adjusted on the Magic Kingdom and Epcot beams as part of an enhancement to the Monorail Operating System. The monorails are currently operating on a fixed schedule during the update:

* 8:30 a.m. - midnight on the Magic Kingdom Resort beam
* 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. on the Magic Kingdom Express beam
* 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. on the Epcot beam

In order to assist Guests reach their destinations, there will be additional buses and watercraft (where applicable) to transport Guests. Once you arrive at the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC), there will be buses to take you to the Magic Kingdom just to the right of the Monorail Station.

The Ferries typically begin operating 30 minutes before the Magic Kingdom opens. This includes morning Extra Magic Hours. If the Magic Kingdom opens at 8:00 a.m., the Ferries should begin running from the TTC to the Magic Kingdom at 7:30 a.m.

During the time that the Monorail lines are down for the operating system update, there will be Cast Members on hand at the TTC to assist Guests.

I've been reading through this thread to get excited about our upcoming one night stay at the Poly! We're getting married at SeaBreeze Point while staying at the Boardwalk Inn for eight nights we can move over to Coronado Springs for two weeks and last but not least we get one night free at the Polynesian for filling up our room block. I'm super exited! In 10 previous WDW trips I've never stayed in a monorail resort before!!! It's going to be such an amazing trip! I might have spoiled my hubby though... He wants to stay at Poly's DVC next time and while I talked him into buying into DVC we own it Wilderness Lodge and we have nowhere near enough points for a meaningful stay at the Poly.

I have a question about a 1st floor patio from Raratonga and/or Niue. Can you walk out of the patio door to refill cups at Captain Cooks?

In general, yes. But I believe there are rooms from which you could not, b/c of landscaping. I've only stayed ground floor at Niue (once) and we COULD walk out. You can see my pics on Post #1311.

I've been reading through this thread to get excited about our upcoming one night stay at the Poly! We're getting married at SeaBreeze Point while staying at the Boardwalk Inn for eight nights we can move over to Coronado Springs for two weeks and last but not least we get one night free at the Polynesian for filling up our room block. I'm super exited! In 10 previous WDW trips I've never stayed in a monorail resort before!!! It's going to be such an amazing trip! I might have spoiled my hubby though... He wants to stay at Poly's DVC next time and while I talked him into buying into DVC we own it Wilderness Lodge and we have nowhere near enough points for a meaningful stay at the Poly.

Congratulations and best wishes -
That sounds like QUITE a trip!! pixiedust:

We just came from Poly a few days ago. We opted to enjoy drinks on the outside patio of Trader Sam's instead. While my kids would have been fine inside, it was very crowded and the place is kind of small. Not a lot of room to roam around. If you order drinks in a souvenir cup outside they let you inside to pick up your cups and you could have a look around. Also we were not there early enough to get in on the first round. People were already lined up at 3:00 for opening at 4:00. We figured if we were going to have to wait around for a buzzer to go off that everyone(kids) would be happier if we just stayed outside.

We just came from Poly a few days ago. We opted to enjoy drinks on the outside patio of Trader Sam's instead. While my kids would have been fine inside, it was very crowded and the place is kind of small. Not a lot of room to roam around. If you order drinks in a souvenir cup outside they let you inside to pick up your cups and you could have a look around. Also we were not there early enough to get in on the first round. People were already lined up at 3:00 for opening at 4:00. We figured if we were going to have to wait around for a buzzer to go off that everyone(kids) would be happier if we just stayed outside.
Thank you for this report! Was it fairly easy to find a seat on the patio? Does it open at 4 too? And could you order food on the patio as well? Thanks! :)

This is what I found on Disney Moms panel...

The Monorail schedules have been adjusted on the Magic Kingdom and Epcot beams as part of an enhancement to the Monorail Operating System. The monorails are currently operating on a fixed schedule during the update:

* 8:30 a.m. - midnight on the Magic Kingdom Resort beam
* 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. on the Magic Kingdom Express beam
* 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. on the Epcot beam

In order to assist Guests reach their destinations, there will be additional buses and watercraft (where applicable) to transport Guests. Once you arrive at the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC), there will be buses to take you to the Magic Kingdom just to the right of the Monorail Station.

The Ferries typically begin operating 30 minutes before the Magic Kingdom opens. This includes morning Extra Magic Hours. If the Magic Kingdom opens at 8:00 a.m., the Ferries should begin running from the TTC to the Magic Kingdom at 7:30 a.m.

During the time that the Monorail lines are down for the operating system update, there will be Cast Members on hand at the TTC to assist Guests.
Last Aug we were staying at GF, and Epcot monorail was on morning limited schedule, so we had to take a bus to get there for rope drop. Guess it will be more of the same this trip :-(. 2 years of staying at a monorail resort & no morning monorail service, boo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter