Aloha, Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas

After reading Jill's post if we're talking "degrees of separation" Fran's mother's first husband was killed on the Arizona. Evidently she walked around Long Beach wanting to kill any Japanese that she saw after that. Luckily she didn't have a gun, but I guess she told Fran she wanted one. I don't know if her reactions were typical or if we was just crazy. I'd lean towards the latter, but I only knew her when she was old and lost her mind.

I can kind of understand this reaction. I think the whole country was in a state of shock about what had happened as it came completely out of the blue. So if one your loved once was caught up in this, I can imagine that this would lead to some fairly drastic reactions.

Corinna

Day 12

For the rest of our time at Aulani, we were on no timetable. We were just going to enjoy the resort and the surrounding area. So this morning we had a bit of a lie in. We did not start to get moving until around 8:30. Our body clocks had finally caught up with us. We got up and dressed and then headed down to the Ulu Café to get some coffee. Graham fancied a breakfast platter and I decided to give the breakfast flatbread a try. This turned out to be a tactical error. The flatbreads are cooked to order and by the time I finally had this, Graham had long since finished his breakfast. He ended up helping me with my breakfast as this was quite big and I could not finish it by myself. It was lovely though. We finished our coffees and then we got going.

We quickly took our mugs back to the room, got all geared up for snorkeling and then headed to Rainbow Reef. Our arrival was perfectly time for the fish feeding. The fish seem to sense when it is about time for the feeding and moved to the area from which they are fed. I just hovered in that area and enjoyed the colourful fish all around me. It was almost like watching TV. I got volunteered to feed the fish again. All over sudden all the colourful fish that I had been watching seemed to be attached to the piece of string with the food I was holding. After the fish feeding we carried on snorkeling for a bit longer and then we got out. Unfortunately the mouthpiece of my snorkel had broken. It was only a cheap snorkel and I had got my money's worth out of it so I was not too upset.

Before we arrived at Aulani, we thought we would use the lazy river every day. This did not quite turn out this way. We tried it out the day we arrived there, but had not been in there since. On our way over there, we bumped into Goofy again so we stopped to have some photos taken with him. Then we went into the lazy river. We both had opted to swim around the lazy river that day. We got about halfway round when we saw a Photopass photographer. I quickly got an inner tube and she took some photos of us. I decided that I actually quite fancied just floating around so I stayed in the inner tube. We finished this lap and then went round once again. On the second lap we found a number of Menehune that we had not seen before.

I had been planning to try the shave ice at Aulani ever since we got there and now the end of our trip was rapidly approaching and I still had not done so. So we decided to put this right. At Aulani the shave ice comes automatically with the cup holder. They have three different options: just the shave ice; shave ice with ice cream or condensed milk and shave ice with ice cream and condensed milk. We went with the shave ice with ice cream and condensed milk. Unfortunately at Aulani they only offer vanilla ice cream with the shave ice. I have read in other trip reports that some places also offer Macadamia nut ice cream. I would have been in heaven then. It still was nice with the vanilla ice cream. I went with Green Tea, Lychee and Mango and Graham had Green Tea, Orange and Watermelon. It took a while until our shave ice was ready. They are not quite sharing Matsumoto’s efficiency at Aulani, but it was worth the while. We found ourselves a shady spot and enjoyed our shave ice.

Once we had finished our sweet treat, we decided that it was time to cool off again. Graham wanted to check out one of the other lagoons. So we collected our snorkeling gear from where we had left it and headed down towards the beach. I needed to borrow a snorkel so we stopped at the beach shack to pick one up. Even along the waterfront it was pretty hot and after the short walk over to lagoon two, I was more than happy to be in the water to cool off a little. The water in lagoon 2 seemed less clear than in “our” lagoon, but we saw some fish that we had not seen in lagoon 1. I learned another valuable lesson that day. Not only can fish cause you to swim much further out than you had intended, they can also drown you. I spotted a really pretty fish that shimmered in all the colours of the rainbow and I really wanted to get a photo of that fish. I followed it and dove down a little forgetting that I was breathing through a snorkel. So I ended up swallowing quite a bit saltwater. I came up to the surface coughing, but when I was ready to resume snorkeling, the fish was cooperative and I managed to get a photo. I did not get quite so lucky with the puffer fish that caught my eye, but I got a photo of a puffer fish later in the trip.

We probably spent about 90 minutes in the lagoon. I had completely lost concept of time. We headed back towards Aulani, rinsed off underneath the outdoor shower and then we went back to the room for a proper shower and to get changed. I had read a lot of positive things about Monkeypod Kitchen, which is at a little shopping centre that is right across from Aulani. I had read about their happy hour in a number of trip reports before we left. So we decided to have a late lunch/ early dinner there. On the way, we checked out the little shopping centre. I had my first experience of an ABC Store. The one at Ko Olina is called Island Country Market and is a bit more upmarket then the normal ABC Stores. I had great fun browsing. I had every intention coming back to have another look around the shopping centre, but for some reason this never happened.

We then headed over to Monkeypod Kitchen. It was pretty busy. We were asked if we wanted to sit inside or outside and opted for inside. During happy hour they offer half price appetizers and $9 pizzas. They also have all kinds of drinks offers. Graham had another Big Swell IPA and I decided on the Monkeypod Mai Tai, which consisted of Old Lahaina light rum and dark rums, lime, house-made macadamia nut orgeat, orange curacao and honey-lilikoi foam. This was absolutely delicious. We decided to order two appetizers and a pizza to share. We ended up with shrimp on some kind of vegetable ragout; Garlic Truffle Oil Fries with parmesan, whole grain mustard aioli, house-made ketchup and the Proletariat pizza (pepperoni, organic sausage, onions, green peppers, olives, house pulled mozzarella). Everything was delicious. I had every intention to try their coconut cream pie, but we were both too full for dessert.

Once we had paid, we headed back to Aulani. We went to our room for some downtime, as it was still pretty hot. We just chilled out and I got caught up with my emails. Once it got a bit cooler we headed out again and took a walk around the resort. We managed to catch another beautiful sunset.

We then briefly went back to the room, as I wanted to get my camera. This evening they had a performance of Starlit Hui, which is their version of a luau, but minus the food. I had read something about a pre-show so we made sure that we got there nice and early. When we got near to where the Starlit Hui is taking place. We encountered a quite substantial line. This may well have been the longest line I saw during the whole trip including Disneyland. They had not started to let people in at that stage and once they did, the line moved pretty quickly. When we got to the entrance of Hālāwai Lawn, cast members checked for wristbands or key cards. We were then directed along the path where other cast members were giving out woven mats for people to sit down on. They had two different stations. One had bigger mats for families and then next station had smaller mats for individuals and couples.

I staked out a spot and put our mat down. This was a fair distance from the stage, but I had a nice clear view to the stage. Graham took one look at this set up and told me that he was going to sit on a rock that was at the far end of the lawn. I stayed where I was, as I would have had no chance to see something from where Graham was sitting. This was a bit of a shame. Shortly after I settled down they announced that there were various Hawaiian activities and crafts available around the edges of the lawn. I would have loved to check some of them out, but was worried that I would lose my spot if I left my mat. So I just chilled out. Near the stage they were also teaching people a basic Hula. With that I was more than happy to just sit and watch and not get involved.

Time did pass quite quickly and Uncle started with an introduction of what to expect. The show started with a contemporary form of Hula. Uncle shared the story that this tells and then we were left to enjoy. This form of Hula includes songs. At the end of the performance, the people who had learned the Aulani Hula earlier where invited to come up to the stage to dance together with the performers. We then were treated to the more traditional form of Hula, which involves a chant rather than songs. Again Uncle told us the story behind this and how it fits into Hawaiian culture. Next up was some music. We were first treated to some traditional Hawaiian music. During our stay I have fallen in love with this kind of music so I was quite happy that this was part of the programme. Uncle then introduced the Ukulele and told us a bit about the history. We were then treated to some more contemporary music. This part of programme then ended with a fire dance and the story behind it.

Once this was finished and the performers came up to the stage for their curtain call, disco music started playing and the characters joined us. This was the beginning of the character dance party. Although I do love my characters, I have never seen the charm behind the dance parties and I had no wish to hang around. There were a number of other people who decided to leave as well. I headed over to where Graham was sitting and we left. Graham did not really rate this at all, but I had thoroughly enjoyed the show. On the way back to our room, I found some more Menehune. We went back to our room and got ready for bed. I had really enjoyed the day, but it had been quite tiring.

Looks like I timed this perfectly. What a treat to read an update during work :) I haven't gotten much work done today due to vacation starting in 3 days...

All the Menehune are too cute.

Monkeypod is on my list from Cynthia's report. I'm glad you and Graham enjoyed it.

Your day sounds absolutely perfect. Sleep in a bit, and then enjoy enjoy enjoy! The lagoon and the lazy river sound splendid.

The Starlit Hui looks and sounds very nice. Too bad Graham didn't enjoy it very much.

What a perfect lazy day! Monkeypod is on my list as well. I've got to get a trip to Aulani planned some of these days!

Jill in CO

I was wondering if you had made it to Monkeypod. It sounds like a great place, and a viable alternative to sone of the choices at Aulani. With all my vacation rescheduling this year it looks like Aulani has moved back on the list yet again.

The starlit hui sounds like a nice presentation, I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Your Hawaii pictures are so great. My wife loves them too. In 2016 we will have been married for 10 years and she said we have to celebrate our anniversary at Aulani! :)

Monkeypod sounds like a good place to go to, especially at happy hour :goodvibes

It sounds like a lovely day and I would have enjoyed the luau show too. We have been to the show at the Polynesian but I bet yours was a bit better!

Looks like I timed this perfectly. What a treat to read an update during work :) I haven't gotten much work done today due to vacation starting in 3 days...

All the Menehune are too cute.

Monkeypod is on my list from Cynthia's report. I'm glad you and Graham enjoyed it.

Your day sounds absolutely perfect. Sleep in a bit, and then enjoy enjoy enjoy! The lagoon and the lazy river sound splendid.

The Starlit Hui looks and sounds very nice. Too bad Graham didn't enjoy it very much.

I can't access the DIS at work, which is just as well as otherwise I don't think I would get a lot of work done.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation. I am on vacation from Monday as well, but unfortunately as I ended up cancelling our Florida roadtrip, I have nowhere to go. Still, I have the September trip to look forward to.

Monkeypod Kitchen is great.

It was a fantastic day.

Graham really is not into shows so it was not surprising that he did not rate this one either.

What a perfect lazy day! Monkeypod is on my list as well. I've got to get a trip to Aulani planned some of these days!

Jill in CO

It was a perfect day. Aulani is definitely well worth a visit.

Loving your view of Aulani.
Cute Menehunes.
And more fish!! LOVE it!

I think we both got a little obsessed with the Menehune. When I first mentioned them, Graham just raised his eyebrows, but by the end of the trip he was looking everywhere for hidden Menehune.

I was wondering if you had made it to Monkeypod. It sounds like a great place, and a viable alternative to sone of the choices at Aulani. With all my vacation rescheduling this year it looks like Aulani has moved back on the list yet again.

The starlit hui sounds like a nice presentation, I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

What a shame that the Aulani trip has been pushed back again, but it will be even better when it finally arrives. I am hoping that we are going back in 2018.

Your Hawaii pictures are so great. My wife loves them too. In 2016 we will have been married for 10 years and she said we have to celebrate our anniversary at Aulani! :)

I could not imagine a better place to celebrate and anniversary. For us it will be 20 years in 2018 and also Graham's 60th birthday so that seems worthy of a trip to Aulani. If you have any questions nearer the time, just ask.

Corinna

Monkeypod sounds like a good place to go to, especially at happy hour :goodvibes

It sounds like a lovely day and I would have enjoyed the luau show too. We have been to the show at the Polynesian but I bet yours was a bit better!

There are all kinds of places that have a happy hour deal at Ko Olina. We were going to give the Happy Hour at Roy's a go, but never got around to it. Monkeypod Kitchen was great though and if we do get to go back, this will definitely get a repeat visit.

I have never done the show at the Polynesian and I have never been tempted by a fullblown luau, but this was perfect. I was a really nice introduction to Hawaiian culture without being too long.

Corinna

Day 13

We did not have much by the way of plans that day. There were some things that we quite wanted to do and snorkeling again featured high on that list, but on the whole we just wanted to relax and enjoy the resort. The only thing that was planned was the DVC Sunset Mingle for which we had signed up and that was due to take place that evening. By now our body clocks finally had started to catch up with us and we managed to sleep a bit longer. We got up at around 8:30 and headed down to the Ulu Cafe. We filled up our mugs with coffee. Graham had a fruit cup and a cinnamon roll and I went with one of the kids’ meals, which consisted of Mickey shaped peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a small fruit cup. That went down rather well. We then went for a little wander and got more photos with the Stitch statue.

Graham wanted to check out Electric Beach. I was not quite sure about this, but decided to come along for the ride. We went up to room to put our swim stuff on underneath out clothes and grabbed our snorkeling stuff. I needed to borrow a snorkel as the mouthpiece of my snorkel had broken the day before. As we had a length of stay pass for Rainbow Reef, we could also rent snorkeling equipment at the beach shack free of charge. Our guide from the tour a couple of days earlier had suggested that we could walk along the railway tracks. Normally something like this would have been right up Graham’s street as he loves exploring routes where maybe strictly spoken he should not be. However, in this case he decided that the car would be a more sensible option. The fact that it was quite hot and there was not really a breeze that day may have something to do with this. Anyway, we set off. Electric Beach is only a short drive north of Aulani and it did not take us long to get there. We parked the car and headed towards the beach. I figured out straightaway that this is not going to work for me. The access to the water was pretty steep. With sand being quite slippery at the best of times, I did not think that this would work out for me. Graham headed partway down the beach to have a closer look, but he did not like the look of the current. So we just admired the view for a while and then we headed back to Aulani. When we arrived back there was a Photopass photographer in the lobby so we stopped for some more photos. Stitch was also due out so I quickly headed down to the island to get some more photos with him.

We then headed down to the beach. We had missed the morning fish feeding and the lagoon seemed more tempting at that point. We spent a fair bit snorkeling. I had a bit of a near miss with a paddle boarder who was not entirely in control of the paddleboard and hit me, but as he was going at such a low speed, he did not hurt me. Again, I followed a fish and got a long way out. Graham was quite surprised when I turned up next to him. He did not think that I would come that far out. He pointed out that the reef was only a couple of meters further and I headed over there. This was hard work as it was going against the current, but it was definitely worth the effort. After a while, I swam back a way and snorkeled near the rocks again and saw all kinds of interesting fish. We then decided that we would head back. As we approached the beach, there was a Photopass photographer taking photos of people swimming and we got a few photos before we decided we had enough of the ocean for the day.

We went back to the resort and got rinsed off and then we went in search of some lunch. We ended up at Mama’s Snack Stop again. Graham had another hot dog on crusty bread, but tried one of the local sausages this time and I had the coconut shrimp and fries. It turned out that I was not as hungry as I had thought, but Graham helped me with my lunch. After lunch we had a wander around the resort for a while before heading to Rainbow Reef for the afternoon fish feeding.

Last edited:
After all those days, I still spotted fish that I had not seen before. I kept to the edges and saw a lot of smaller fish that keep out of the way of the bigger fish at the centre. We got asked to feed the fish again and we were happy to help out. We spent a fair while snorkeling in Rainbow Reef again. As we were getting ready to come out, the Photopass photographer who had been there for the fish feeding took some photos of us. They came out pretty well. He mentioned that he was heading over to the feature pool shortly to take some photos as part of a pool party that was due to start a little later. We told him that we may check this out.

Once we had taken off our wetsuits and getting rinsed off, we headed over to the hot tubs to warm up a little. We were not in there for very long when a cast member came and asked everybody to come out as they had some issues with the PH level of the water. We came out and left our stuff by the wall and then headed over to the pool. We learned very quickly that pool parties are not any more our thing than dance parties are. They had some of the characters out and there were contests for the kids, but mainly there seemed to be chaos and noise. At one stage Mickey went to the opposite side of the pool for photos and I decided to get in line, but just before it was my turn he had to return to the stage for the grand finale. Once the party was over, the pool emptied out fairly rapidly. We decided to hang around and do some swimming. This was by far the warmest of the pools and the water was a lovely temperature. While we were swimming, the Photopass photographer spotted us and came over. Unfortunately it looks he had some water on the lens and they did not come out very well. This one is the best of the bunch.

After swimming another lap around the pool, we decided that we had enough water for the day. We collected our stuff and then went back to the room to get showered and changed. We quickly returned the snorkeling gear I borrowed back to the Beach Shack and the we headed to the Pau Hana Room. We still had 6 adventures to do on the Menehune Adventure Trail. We picked up our game device and got going. We did three of the outdoor adventures. I do enjoy the games that they offer at Walt Disney World, but in my opinion Menehune Adventure Trail is by far the best of the games. It is just the right mix of challenging, educational and fun. Some of the clues are a little obscure and kept us on our toes. There were a couple of occasions were we thought the clues pointed to one location only to realize that the correct location is at the opposite end of the resort.

The game only included locations in Waikolohe Valley, but by playing, we realized just how big this area is. We got a good workout in the process. I also learned a lot about Hawaiian culture and the stories that come with it. There are a lot of landmarks around Waikolohe Valley that have cultural significance and some real hidden gems that I would never have noticed if it was not for the game. The game was pitched at a level that any school-aged child could follow it, but adults also get something out of it. I don’t know how Disney manages it, but the game seems to meet everybody at his or her level. It also included a wide variety of subject matter from Hawaiian stories, crafts, history to conservation issues. The game also had a number of great special effects. Some of them I had witnessed around the resort, but I had no idea that they were linked to the game. We had great fun that afternoon. We did three of the adventures and then we returned our game device back to the Pau Hana Room as we had other things planned.

We quickly went up to one of the shops to make sure that the photos we had taken in the lagoon, Rainbow Reef and in the lazy river had been added to our Photopass account and then we headed down to the ‘Olelo Room. On the way down, we bumped into the cast member who had sold us the Aulani Dooney and Bourke tote that Graham gave me for my birthday. We had bumped into her periodically during the trip and she always stopped to have a chat with us. That evening she asked how much of our trip we had left. We told her that the next day would be our last day. Unfortunately she would not be around that day so we said our goodbyes there and then. She gave me a fresh orchid to put into my hair, but unfortunately it fell off rather quickly.

We then headed down to the ‘Olelo Room. The reason why I wanted to go there that evening is that when we were waiting for our tour of the Grand Villa a few days earlier, the manager who came to chat with us had told us about a member exclusive cocktail, exclusive Pu‘u Kilo Punch cocktail. This is served every evening during Happy Hour and has the same pricing as the Happy Hour cocktails. I am not quite sure what was in it, but it was tasty and refreshing. Graham stuck with the Big Swell IPA. I noticed that the Happy Hour menu had changed. We decided to share some pulled pork sliders, which were very nice. Once we had finished our food and our drinks, we paid and headed over to the Rainbow Reef patio for the sunset mingle.

When we got there, one of the cast members checked our tickets and then we were invited to take a seat. We found a table and were offered some passion fruit, orange and guava juice straightaway. Shortly afterwards servers were coming round with appetizers, wine and beer. I had to smile when we were served pulled pork sliders. They were also very nice, but tasted different from the ones we had at the ‘Olelo Room. They also served crab cakes. Graham had some of those, but as I don’t eat seafood, I passed.

While people were still arriving, the DVC cast members came round the tables to introduce themselves and have a brief chat. Once everybody had arrived, they welcomed everybody, asked people to fill in the card for the raffle and showed the prize, which was a gorgeous hamper with Aulani themed goodies. I don’t think I have ever felt so torn. I so wanted to win this, but on the other hand I knew that this would be a disaster considering our limited baggage allowance.

Once everybody had arrived, they came round and gave us each an Aulani DVC lanyard. There was a formal welcome and introduction and then it was time for an icebreaker. I suppose this was loosely modeled on speed dating. We were asked to stand up and find somebody we had not met before and have a 5-minute conversation with them. We were asked to find out their names, where they come from and their favourite part of this trip. We then had to introduce them to the rest of the group. Once this had happened, we did the same with another group of people. This was actually a lot of fun.

After this there was some trivia, but again I did not picked to answer a question even though I knew the answers to all of them. They then brought around some bite-size desserts and I had a couple of mini brownies before the winner for the hamper was drawn. We did not win that one either. After this the actual sunset mingle wound up, but they invited us to tour the two-bedroom villa. We had nothing else planned that evening so we figured we may as well even though we had already seen this earlier in the trip.

There was quite a nice group going and we spent some time up there. The views were even more stunning at night with the resort all lit up. Eventually everybody started to drift away. We headed back to the room. I posted my photo of the day to Facebook and checked my emails. I set a wake up call for the next day just in case and then we went to bed.

I'm falling more in love with Aulani with each of your reports!

Jill in CO

Another wonderful day

They really got more and more magical by the day.

I'm falling more in love with Aulani with each of your reports!

Jill in CO

Unfortunately we are now rapidly approaching the end of the time at Aulani. I am grateful that I have been able to experience this. There was a lot more fun stuff to come at Disneyland as well though.

Corinna

Aulani is such a lovely resort.

Just as well you and G took the car to Electric Beach. Can you imagine walking there and then having to walk all the way back again?

Shame that the Pool Party didn't work out for you. At least the Trivia afternoon sounds like a lot of fun.

OK, I guess everybody here knows that I love Stitch, but even I am not as crazy about him as this. I knew Flickr was temperamental last night, but had no idea just how temperamental. I did not realise what had happened until I looked at the trip report on my iPhone this afternoon. I have now replaced the surplus Stitch photos with the photos I meant to post.

Corinna

Aulani is such a lovely resort.

Just as well you and G took the car to Electric Beach. Can you imagine walking there and then having to walk all the way back again?

Shame that the Pool Party didn't work out for you. At least the Trivia afternoon sounds like a lot of fun.

Aulani is really gorgeous. Normally walking does not bother either of us and we do both enjoy it. On Saturday we went on a walk that according to my Fitbit involved just short of 24000 steps and exactly 10 miles. However, it would not have been much fun as hot as it was.

I really enjoyed the DVC event. I suppose I am not big on audience participation so things like pool party and dance parties are wasted on me.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter