Almost ready to make the move to FL...

Family of 6 is getting really tired of the dreary NE Ohio weather. DH & I have been talking about moving to FL for the past few years. Still a little nervous about making such a drastic change, but we are afraid that we will regret not doing this while we are relatively young.

We want to live near Disney or at least a 20-30 minute drive away. We are looking for a neighborhood with good schools in a nice areas where the houses are not piled on top of each other. DH would like something with at least a 1/2 acre lot. We are hoping to find something in the $150-$225k range.

Ideally, we would like to be in Celebration, but we looked at some houses there last spring and they seemed to be very expensive for the lot size/square footage of the homes, plus the taxes are outrageous!! :scared1:

I am hoping to find something similar that is more affordable?! Is is possible???

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated from those of you who know the Disney area.

How do you plan on supporting your family in FL. It is more normal to pick where you live based on where you earn your money.

How long can you stay in FL without employment. Jobs pay very little in FL when you can find a job.

We moved last July. I'm lucky enough to work from home full time so I can live anywhere that has high speed internet access and is within an hour of a major airport.

We love it here. The cost of living is much less than it was where we were and the schools are 10 times better.

The entire country is going down the drain and will continue to do so until we the people wake up and throw out very single politician now in office. No state is immune. They are all 100% responsible for the mess we are in and need to be held accountable NOW.

Martin

I have lived in FL, PA, OH, CA, and most recently LA. We moved to central FL last July to maintain our jobs. We live in Altamonte Springs about 30 minutes from Disney in Seminole county. We had to rent due to the short notice from our job. We are looking into buying within the next year or so. We love it. Is there crime? Of course. Are there government issues? Indeed. Budget cuts where there should not be? Always. For me this is nothing special about FL though. All the negative things said about it can generally be said about most of the country. Not saying everywhere, but in general. If you found a piece of perfection elsewhere than by all means stay put. Should someone move here for their love of Disney alone? I dont think so. Disney does not gaurantee happiness. There are good schools here and there are good jobs here. There are also great family communities. I am still doing my research, but areas that have been recommended to us so far are Davenport, Hunter Creek, Deltona and Altamonte. We really enjoy our area as we are in a great location and the cost of living is not as high as some areas around us. I think if you have a good secure job, and are generally happy you will do just fine moving to FL. I think the move itself was the worst part for us. It is insanely expensive and stressful to move across country. I am glad we were forced to rent because there are so many areas that differ greatly that it is nice to get a lay of the lands before buying a home. I would not be discouraged by this thread if you are moving to FL. It was the best thing we ever did and I left my entire family who I am SO close to back in LA which was devastating for me. You can feel free to PM me as well. I will be happy to help in any way I can. :wizard:

I have lived in FL, PA, OH, CA, and most recently LA. We moved to central FL last July to maintain our jobs. We live in Altamonte Springs about 30 minutes from Disney in Seminole county. We had to rent due to the short notice from our job. We are looking into buying within the next year or so. We love it. Is there crime? Of course. Are there government issues? Indeed. Budget cuts where there should not be? Always. For me this is nothing special about FL though. All the negative things said about it can generally be said about most of the country. Not saying everywhere, but in general. If you found a piece of perfection elsewhere than by all means stay put. Should someone move here for their love of Disney alone? I dont think so. Disney does not gaurantee happiness. There are good schools here and there are good jobs here. There are also great family communities. I am still doing my research, but areas that have been recommended to us so far are Davenport, Hunter Creek, Deltona and Altamonte. We really enjoy our area as we are in a great location and the cost of living is not as high as some areas around us. I think if you have a good secure job, and are generally happy you will do just fine moving to FL. I think the move itself was the worst part for us. It is insanely expensive and stressful to move across country. I am glad we were forced to rent because there are so many areas that differ greatly that it is nice to get a lay of the lands before buying a home. I would not be discouraged by this thread if you are moving to FL. It was the best thing we ever did and I left my entire family who I am SO close to back in LA which was devastating for me. You can feel free to PM me as well. I will be happy to help in any way I can. :wizard:

Your post is very inspiring to me! :lovestruc
We hope to move to Florida 2013 and leaving our family behind will be our biggest fear. :sad2:
However I keep telling my dh that if we don't try it we will never know!:yay: We are dealing with overdeveloping, tons of new people moving into the area which is boosting crime rates and driving house prices down as well as MAJOR budget cuts to our school district and many others here in PA and with all that and the miserable winters I have had enough!:eek:
Plus our small town just had it's first ever, major crime, a double homicide, in the entire history of the town merely 2 blocks from our home!

Well, another crazy person from NE Ohio here, planning on moving down to FL in September. I think if you visit enough before the move, check out the neighborhoods, read the local newspapers you'll have a better idea of what to expect. As far as traffic, it can be bad, ( but not as harrowing as taking 3 hours to get the 12 miles home from work because of ice storms). We can all move down there and keep each other company!

All of DH's family now live in FL (from Ohio 30 yrs ago). The heat is hard to get used to and according to in laws there are no good public schools they have their DD in a private very expensive school. They live in an upscale area but little yard! A least compared to our standards. SIL and MIL also have tiny little yards. They also complain taxes are higher! My friend lives in Celebration and it is expensive, although the house prices are down in FL now. Before you decide where you want to move, make sure the job situation is stable and then commit. I don't know about where you live, but driving in Orlando is a lot different than the biggest city we live near (in OH) so I wouldn't want to buy a house and find the job isn't one you want. You want to be close to your employment.

Your post is very inspiring to me! :lovestruc
We hope to move to Florida 2013 and leaving our family behind will be our biggest fear. :sad2:
However I keep telling my dh that if we don't try it we will never know!:yay: We are dealing with overdeveloping, tons of new people moving into the area which is boosting crime rates and driving house prices down as well as MAJOR budget cuts to our school district and many others here in PA and with all that and the miserable winters I have had enough!:eek:
Plus our small town just had it's first ever, major crime, a double homicide, in the entire history of the town merely 2 blocks from our home!

Aw thanks! :goodvibes Leaving family behind was the hardest thing for us as well. We talk by phone and Skype daily and make as many trips as possible to visit. It took a lot of tears to adjust, but it was worth it to live here. I have lived in Erie and Chagrin Falls and will never live up north again. Haha. I did not enjoy the winters myself. Yuck. FL has its downfalls, but it just depends on what options weigh out others for you. We are happy here. I wish you the best!

Well, another crazy person from NE Ohio here, planning on moving down to FL in September. I think if you visit enough before the move, check out the neighborhoods, read the local newspapers you'll have a better idea of what to expect. As far as traffic, it can be bad, ( but not as harrowing as taking 3 hours to get the 12 miles home from work because of ice storms). We can all move down there and keep each other company!

Traffic here can be horrible. What usually takes us 30 minutes has taken us almost 2 hours or more on more than one occasion on I4, but usually we don't have a problem. There is a lot of people in small areas here, but its nothing that large cities don't experience everywhere. For sure better than an ice storm! :thumbsup2

I work from home, so moving here I have not had many outlets to meet people. I would LOVE for some DIS friends to move down and I will gladly keep yall company! I am also a certified professional nanny, so anyone with kiddos you can call me to babysit. :grouphug: Haha!

Good luck with your move! Our move was so stressful. I don't wish it on anyone! :flower3:

So many negative comments, which is what it seems I read a lot of whenever these threads come up. I suppose one of the reasons a lot of people's opinions differ is because most of us moved here from different places and some of us have children and some don't (like us) so all of that factors into it in my opinion.

We moved here (to the Lake Mary/Sanford area) from TN almost 5 years ago and it was THE BEST THING WE HAVE EVER DONE. I started a new job right after we moved here (for more money than in TN) and worked there until around 3-1/2 weeks ago, when unfortunately, I was laid off. Guess what? Even in this economy I have secured a job (as of this past Monday) that pays $3 more an hour than the one I lost. In total, this job will be TWICE the salary I received in TN and I do not yet have a college degree. Of course, I won't know if this job is going to work out until after I start next week, but I am hoping for the best. My point is that, there are worse places to be unemployed - the city I came from (Memphis) is an example (still to this day).

Also, yes, the crime here can be bad. Guess what? The crime back in Memphis was WORSE. Ever seen an episode of "The First 48"? If you have, then chances are you saw a case about a murder or murders in Memphis.

Oh, and let's not forget the recent high school pregnancy epidemic that was all over the national news regarding the high school in Frayser (Memphis) with all of the pregnant young women.

Regarding insurance and taxes, our vehicle insurance and renter's insurance are both SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER than they were back in TN. Also, there's no sales tax on food here and some pharmacy items also I believe. Back in TN we paid around 9.25% or 9.50% on EVERYTHING.

About the weather - it's absolutely wonderful about 8 months out of the year. From June through September, yes, it's really, really HOT. Guess what? My DH and I think that it is HOTTER back in Memphis in the summer. I challenge anyone to step out of their house, hotel, whatever on a July Day in Memphis and not have sweat rolling down their back before they make it to their car... At least most of the time here you get some type of breeze. If not, then there's a big ol' ocean or gulf to drive to that you can jump in and cool off! Not to mention, isn't that why air conditioning was created?... lol

Oh, and one of the BEST things about living here - my DH works for WDW part-time and we get GREAT BENEFITS. We have done things that we would have never been able to do if he did not work for Disney. That alone is a big positive for me!

What I am saying is that things are different everywhere, and some things here may be worse but MANY are better in my opinion. I think the decision to move here is a personal one and you have to weigh all of the factors just like you would with any life-changing decision. If anyone has questions related to moving here that I might be able to help answer then you can PM me!

Sorry for the long, kind of rambling post! lol

If you really want to do it, make sure you do tons of research. It is true that the job market is really bad in Florida, but you can find jobs, normally at a lower salary. Renting is very expensive right now, because of all the foreclosures ....they have to move somewhere right? Schools are okay, they just focus too much on FCAT (at least in my opinion). Teachers care and if they see that you are involved in your child's education, it can very successful.

We moved from NY over 5 years ago and have gone through some really bad times, not what we had hoped for. For a few years we both worked two jobs, even now we live paycheck to paycheck, we rarely go out, but we do enjoy our trips to Disney. I would also suggest that you do make a trip down here before moving and checking the areas you would like to move to and go speak to the principal and or guidance counselor, ask about the classrooms, try to speak to some of the parents at the school during dismissal. Try to rent within the school district you would like to buy your house, otherwise you have to move your kids to a new school district. Check car insurance, we were shocked that it was almost double what we used to pay. Also, think about the commute, do you think you will have to pay tolls? What about gas? With gas prices going higher, it really does take a big chunk out of you account. Groceries are also higher, check out the Publix flyers online and see how the prices and sales compare to your hometown. Think about storms that come through....I had one job that would not pay if they were closed due to the weather, thankfully we had no major storms during my time with that firm. I am sure there are more great tips out there and someone will post them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

We're looking at a job transfer to the Orlando area ourselves. I enjoy the area we're at now, my husband - not so much. We've both moved quite a bit as a married (with kids) couple and as kids ourselves, and are not near family now so that part doesn't bother us. The heat & humidity doesn't bother us either, we spent several years is similar southern climates. The kids are homeschooled so the immediate school zone isn't a concern for us when renting. Being close to work is. We've visited Orlando too many times and lived in Atlanta previously to move to far from a job w/o knowing all the routes. It amuses me to no end when I hear people here (Williamsburg) complain about traffic and (gasp!) the tunnel.

From everything I've researched, cost of living will be less expensive for us, and the pay is higher for the job he was "one of two" offered. Rent is far less for comparable properties, grocery prices for the most part are the same or slightly lower for what we buy. Utilities and taxes - these seem to average out. VA taxes you for blinking. So for the most part, the living situation will be better.

I don't know how long we'll last in Orlando though. I think Dh is only considering the job because it's not here (where he doesn't want to be) and I flat our refuse to move anywhere that has a real winter. This quasi winter is bad enough. I am downright depressed for approx 4 months out of the year and it's not healthy. Plus it's a contract - 5 years. Who knows after that.

I've appreciated reading the experiances of those who have moved down with kids or who have suggested areas to live. I'm still trying to figure out the subsections/areas - but knowing names of ones that people have said are decent makes it easier when looking at the maps and real estate/rental website that have 'area' as an option. The job is in the area where 417 & 408 meet. What is this area called? Any opinions on it?

We moved to Winter Haven, about 45 min. to WDW 3 years ago from northern In. I had a job but the job Hubby was promised fell thru. The worst thing is we have not been able to sell our house up north so we have 2 house payments.
The groceries here are more expensive but if you coupon and watch the sales it is not too bad.Gas is about the same as up north.
We do not regret moving especially in the winter.We get to go to WDW when we have time off and the beaches are just an hour away.
I say that if you want to move anywhere the key is research and make sure you have a job. Don't jump in blind.

I live in a state (NJ) that is notorious for high EVERYTHING. I'm very curious, if I'm not being too pushy, how expensive are the taxes, insurance and HOA everyone's talking about?

WOW! You guys have given me sooooo much to think about.

I told DH that I think it would be best rent first so that we can get the "lay of the land" before making a commitment to or stuck in a house in a neighborhood we hate. I worry about moving my kids who were raised in the rural areas off of Lake Erie and exposing them to the completely opposite. I don't want any of us to have major culture shock. I am certain there are nice, family friendly areas with good schools in FL. I just don't know where I should be focusing.

We spent 2 weeks in a vacation home in Clermont last spring. We drove thru lots of neighborhoods and did look at a few houses to see how they compare to what we own in Ohio. DH is NOT looking forward to the traffic at all. I have been check local newspapers online and internet sights. It doesn't appear as if we will have trouble securing jobs. I really want us to both work at WDW. We spent several hours talking to some veteran staff members to get a feel for the hiring process and what types of jobs, if any, would be available. DH experience as a maintenance mechanic seems to be a position that is in high demand for working behind the scenes at WDW or even in the underground mechanical areas. I doubt I would have trouble either with my financial background. We are most nervous, because we don't know how salaries compare to what we make here in NE Ohio. Of course, we don't want to sell our home in Ohio for a lower quality home there if it won't work out. Once we get job offers, how long do they typically give you to relocate???? I realize it's part of the negiotiation process, but we have never moved out of our county.

I am not really worried about the heat. I am never really comfortable until the temps are above 80. When it get to be 90+ here, everyone else complains about the heat, but I love it! Every year I get older,it gets harder to tolerate the cold temps and the snow.

I guess I have a fear of the unknown, but I am more afraid of staying here more whole life and missing opportunities or looking back when my kids are grown and regretting the risks I never took?!?!:confused3

Thanks to everyone for their input!!!

We're looking at a job transfer to the Orlando area ourselves. I enjoy the area we're at now, my husband - not so much. We've both moved quite a bit as a married (with kids) couple and as kids ourselves, and are not near family now so that part doesn't bother us. The heat & humidity doesn't bother us either, we spent several years is similar southern climates. The kids are homeschooled so the immediate school zone isn't a concern for us when renting. Being close to work is. We've visited Orlando too many times and lived in Atlanta previously to move to far from a job w/o knowing all the routes. It amuses me to no end when I hear people here (Williamsburg) complain about traffic and (gasp!) the tunnel.

From everything I've researched, cost of living will be less expensive for us, and the pay is higher for the job he was "one of two" offered. Rent is far less for comparable properties, grocery prices for the most part are the same or slightly lower for what we buy. Utilities and taxes - these seem to average out. VA taxes you for blinking. So for the most part, the living situation will be better.

I don't know how long we'll last in Orlando though. I think Dh is only considering the job because it's not here (where he doesn't want to be) and I flat our refuse to move anywhere that has a real winter. This quasi winter is bad enough. I am downright depressed for approx 4 months out of the year and it's not healthy. Plus it's a contract - 5 years. Who knows after that.

I've appreciated reading the experiances of those who have moved down with kids or who have suggested areas to live. I'm still trying to figure out the subsections/areas - but knowing names of ones that people have said are decent makes it easier when looking at the maps and real estate/rental website that have 'area' as an option. The job is in the area where 417 & 408 meet. What is this area called? Any opinions on it?

To my knowledge 417 and 408 meet near East Colonial and Alafaya Trail which is near some shopping areas we go to quite a bit. I am not familiar with the neighborhoods though in that area. I'm pretty sure that is Azalea Park area which is SE from where we live. Its in Orange County also I know that. While I can't offer an opinion on the neighborhoods in the area, hopefully those names will help you in your research. :confused3 :surfweb: :thumbsup2

We just moved here from PA a week ago! Both of us had jobs before the move. We decided to rent at first. The market here is great for buyers (Cape Coral) and our daughter got into a great school.

Good Luck!

I am so sorry! More than 30% of home in Lee County are vacant (according to CNN last month). Cape Coral is one of the worst hit areas in Florida. Predictions for when the housing market will rebound - 20 years.

Crime has risen and schools are suffering due to the loss of tax base.
It is number one in the country for recession job loss - even beating Detroit!

OP - I would strongly caution you from moving to that area.

I am so sorry! More than 30% of home in Lee County are vacant (according to CNN last month). Cape Coral is one of the worst hit areas in Florida. Predictions for when the housing market will rebound - 20 years.

Crime has risen and schools are suffering due to the loss of tax base.
It is number one in the country for recession job loss - even beating Detroit!

OP - I would strongly caution you from moving to that area.

Don't be jealous that you're stuck up North still! :cool2:

The reasons you stated are exactly why the market is great for buyers (I didn't say investment properties)! The market crashed here because houses were so over priced to begin with. This leaves the buyer being able to buy a 1800SQ/ft 3br 2ba pool home which has every upgrade imaginable (granite countertops, upgraded fixtures, stainless appliances, high quality tile floors, etc.) for under $150,000.

It is all about perspective. We came from Pittsburgh, PA & the city's set-up/way of life is totally different down here. There may be a 30% unoccupied rating, but have you ever google-earthed the area? There are a gazillion houses here. None of the homes on our block are vacant. Just like every other city, there are 'good' & 'bad' areas.

And yes, school choice is hard to deal with, but if you follow all the guidelines & get into the lottery in the first batch, you have a good chance of getting into the school that you want.

Good Luck to OP to wherever he/she decides to relocate. You might want to check out city-data to get statistics & then compare them to your current city.

As someone who works in finance, alot of people only see doom and gloom. When the market dropped all the way down to 666 on the S&P many, many people said it was the end of the market as we know it and it would take 15 years to recover. Three years later we are pushing into record highs.

Crime is everywhere in this country and its easily avoidable if you avoid certain areas, pull up a crime map for any major city and you will see more crime than in suburbs, that just a fact of living in the city. More people around so more opportunity.

As far as no jobs being in Fla, the national unemployment numbers at 9.5%, Fla is at 11%, Ny is 8.2 and Cali is 12.5.. If you look at the whole picture Fla was hard hit because of its explosive growth and greed. Now the prices are back to pre runup and are now open to a whole new market. If you buy your house as a place to live, and not as an investment you will do fine.

Everyone told me not to move to Fla saying you dont make as much money (Im making more) too much crime (less crime here than alot of larger cities) people who dont live here read the news and think that Fla will never recover. Im glad I dont listen to experts and choose to live life as an amateur.

Good luck with your decision, dont let people fill your mind with excuses why you shouldnt move. If youre the type of person that looks for the best in situations you'll love it, if not then you can be miserable anywhere.

We just moved here from PA a week ago! Both of us had jobs before the move. We decided to rent at first. The market here is great for buyers (Cape Coral) and our daughter got into a great school.

Good Luck!

I know this is really personal, but, if you don't mind, I was wondering what renters pay in Cape Coral? The reason I ask is that we want to move to Cape Coral in 7 years when my son graduates. We want a canal home with sailboat access and a pool. We could, feasibly, buy it now and rent it out. I am willing to get a local property manager to take care of things. I was mostly just curious what a 3 bedroom, canal front home could possibly rent for.
Thanks. :)

Don't be jealous that you're stuck up North still! :cool2:

The reasons you stated are exactly why the market is great for buyers (I didn't say investment properties)! The market crashed here because houses were so over priced to begin with. This leaves the buyer being able to buy a 1800SQ/ft 3br 2ba pool home which has every upgrade imaginable (granite countertops, upgraded fixtures, stainless appliances, high quality tile floors, etc.) for under $150,000.

It is all about perspective. We came from Pittsburgh, PA & the city's set-up/way of life is totally different down here. There may be a 30% unoccupied rating, but have you ever google-earthed the area? There are a gazillion houses here. None of the homes on our block are vacant. Just like every other city, there are 'good' & 'bad' areas.

And yes, school choice is hard to deal with, but if you follow all the guidelines & get into the lottery in the first batch, you have a good chance of getting into the school that you want.

Good Luck to OP to wherever he/she decides to relocate. You might want to check out city-data to get statistics & then compare them to your current city.

No - I am very familiar with the area - I have a home in Burnt Store Marina.

OP - one thing to be aware of when moving to Florida - some of the areas are vast cultural wastelands. No museums, theater, music etc. Want to see a foreign language film - nope. Want to eat somewhere besides a chain restaurant - nope.

Florida is a great place to visit, but not always the coolest place to live.

This thread is so interesting to me! We've been thinking of moving to the Orlando area for some time. We live in Arizona so we're used to hot weather, and paying for pest control (we have scorpions at our house!) I don't want to live anywhere that gets too cold so my choices are limited.

All of the talk about crime in the Orlando area has me concerned, also how do you know if you're moving to a good school district? Is there a way to research this? Or can someone in Florida tell me what school districts are the best?

We would rent first, and the other problem is that my DH is a Pharmacist and he's have to get a liscense there before seeking employment. Anyway, thanks for this thread it's been very helpful and informative! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter