Almost 3 year old with a 2 broken toe

lizziethorn

Earning My Ears
Ok- we leave in 6 days for my daughter's bday trip. She has managed to break her 4th and 5th toe about 4 days ago. They are just treating her by keeping her in a hard sold shoe most of the time and trying to keep her off of it ( easier said than done for a 2 year old). The orthopedic did give us a fracture shoe for disney. She is doing ok walking but walking at Disney is a different story. Nighttime is really bad- swelling a lot and bothering her. I know she will heal fast (not quite 10 days fast) but I still worry about disney. She will clearly be in the stroller more than I planned, but I still worry about all of the standing and walking for 7 days after we park the stroller at rides and such. I have been reading a little about getting a stroller tagged as a wheelchair. And I am not positive how I go about doing it. But, I just don't know if her toes really warrant that. Any suggestions. I want my sweet princess to have the best birthday trip she can- broken toes and all!

you go to guest services and ask for the tag for stroller as a wheelchair. be ready to explain about broken toes. I think this will help a lot with walking and will let your stroller in buildings besides rides esp if doing EPCOT and the train at AK

If you're flying, air pressure changes in the plane could cause some pain, so you might want to give her some children's pain medicine before your flight, or maybe wrap her foot with an ace wrap to try and contain any swelling. Actually, that might help at Disney also. Good luck, and I hope you all have a wonderful vacation! pixiedust:

Think of it this way, you could get the tag and use it where you feel you need to which may be a lot or maybe not, or you could not get it and run the risk of getting stuck in a situation where it'd be really beneficial and be SOL for the time being.

Does ice help the swelling, especially in the evening? If so, might want to stick in some plastic bags (like snack or sandwich size given her size) that you could put ice in and use an ace bandage to secure to the foot. Might give her some relief later in the day and counter service should be willing to give you a cup of ice to stick in the bag. Ask the doc how long to leave it on for a child this age, I would guess it would be short like no more than 15 minutes.

Yes- ice helps a lot at night. So, taking a ziplock is a great idea for the park. It might be healing faster if I could keep her off it during the day. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I will definitely get a stroller as a wheelchair tag and use it as needed. She won't need it the whole time but I am afraid we might need it more than I think!

Yes- ice helps a lot at night. So, taking a ziplock is a great idea for the park. It might be healing faster if I could keep her off it during the day. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I will definitely get a stroller as a wheelchair tag and use it as needed. She won't need it the whole time but I am afraid we might need it more than I think!

Better to have it and not need it than the other way around - have a great trip!

I can tell ya, I broke those two same toes, and BOY DID IT HURT! I know little ones heal much fast than adults but it was quite awhile before I was 100%.

I would definitely keep her in the stroller as much as possible and bring some open shoes like sandals or slippers with a rubber bottom so she can switch out shoes when the swelling gets bothersome.

Yes open toe shoes is a great idea too. You may find that socks become constricting on her feet through the day too. You could take a small blanket or honestly even a towel with you to cover her feet if the shoes and socks come off due to swelling, or to warm the tootsies up after you ice them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter