Almost $2000 in FCC credit leftover

Junebug1029

Mouseketeer
Hi DCL friends,
So our April 2021 cruise got cancelled and if we go for the FCC, we would get $8944. We had an Oct 1-8, 2021 cruised booked as a back-up and if we applied our 10% OBB from the April cruise, it would come out to $6023. If we used the April credit towards the October cruise and I estimate about $1100 for taxes and tips, then we would be left with about $1800 in credit. At first, I wasn’t sure it was worth getting the credit, but since the difference between the 2 cruises is $1100, which is the same as the amount we would pay in taxes and tips, it is worth it to get the credit because essentially we are getting $1800 for the same price.

For the October cruise, we are a family of 5 and currently we have 2 rooms on deck 2, category 9b. I looked into several options:
Option A: 1 verandah room
Option B: 2 category 9a rooms
Option C: 1 inside room and 1 verandah room
Option D: 1 inside room and 1 category 9a room

It doesn’t make sense to go with option D because I don’t feel like there is much difference between category 9a and 9b and we would be on totally different decks. Option A, B, C are way more than the credit we have. $1800 seems like a lot of credit, but clearly it isn’t making a difference for us. I am open to other cruise dates too. I don’t want to use it just to use it on silly things though. Can you think of other options on what to do with the $1800? Thanks in advance for your help!

June

Hi DCL friends,
So our April 2021 cruise got cancelled and if we go for the FCC, we would get $8944. We had an Oct 1-8, 2021 cruised booked as a back-up and if we applied our 10% OBB from the April cruise, it would come out to $6023. If we used the April credit towards the October cruise and I estimate about $1100 for taxes and tips, then we would be left with about $1800 in credit. At first, I wasn’t sure it was worth getting the credit, but since the difference between the 2 cruises is $1100, which is the same as the amount we would pay in taxes and tips, it is worth it to get the credit because essentially we are getting $1800 for the same price.

For the October cruise, we are a family of 5 and currently we have 2 rooms on deck 2, category 9b. I looked into several options:
Option A: 1 verandah room
Option B: 2 category 9a rooms
Option C: 1 inside room and 1 verandah room
Option D: 1 inside room and 1 category 9a room

It doesn’t make sense to go with option D because I don’t feel like there is much difference between category 9a and 9b and we would be on totally different decks. Option A, B, C are way more than the credit we have. $1800 seems like a lot of credit, but clearly it isn’t making a difference for us. I am open to other cruise dates too. I don’t want to use it just to use it on silly things though. Can you think of other options on what to do with the $1800? Thanks in advance for your help!

June
I feel your pain... we are a family of 5, as well. We have booked a 7A and 11B before but I prefer connecting rooms even with adult kids. I really like 9A because we are now all adults and we spend most of our time on that part of the ship but the best value is probably the 9B rooms with some extra cash left over. I wouldn't do one room for 5 unless it was concierge but that's a lot more money.

You could easily spend that much on on board charges like drinks, the spa and excursions. But if you think you don't need that much, you can always use it to put down on a deposit for another cruise. They don't require you to use the whole amount on just one cruise. They will split it up for you.

We had $1300 left after moving our May cruise to September. We applied the extra FCC to a 4 night Dream cruise we had already booked for January.

We are a family of 5 and were on one of the 1st cruises cancelled last March so we got a 150% credit. We rebooked for the 3rd time now for April of 2022 and have about $2700 left even after booking 2 verandah rooms instead of one and prepaying gratuities. We are normally frugal on vacation so are planning on "living it up" a little as others have said with excursions, the spa and drinks at dinner/bar. I suspect we won't have trouble using it with the prices of things for a family of 5.

We had $1300 left after moving our May cruise to September. We applied the extra FCC to a 4 night Dream cruise we had already booked for January.

Thanks to everyone’s help! On our first and only Disney cruise, we didn’t spend any extra money aboard the cruise, except for a few souvenirs. Like some of you, we are pretty frugal vacationers because the cruise itself costs so much. We just couldn’t justify spending so much on drinks, excursions, spas, etc. Since $1800 is a big chunk of change, I think we are leaning towards a 2 night cruise out of SD, which is relatively close to us and just go on an adult only cruise without our kids. Our kids might disown us, but I think we’ll take the risk. 😆 Thanks everyone!

How much do you drink? Do you play Bingo a lot?

A lot of posters on here mentioned the bar bill- imo unless you intend to drink most of that money or do expensive excursions for the whole family (questionable if they'll even be available at this point), an $1,800 credit is really pushing it. If 3 of your party are under 18, that means they aren't drinking, or going to Remy or Palo. And Remy and Palo for 2 don't even approach $500 even if you do both, unless you order expensive drinks or upcharge entrees. If you're just there for the standard meal, you're not spending that much.

If Atlantic Aquaventure is open at Nassau and you choose to do that, it will be a few hundred per person, so as a party of 5, you'll spend over $1,000 on that. If you play Bingo regularly onboard & always buy the family pack, you'll spend hundreds that way. If you're really into spa treatments, you can spend a lot on that.

It really depends on the type of cruiser you are. Reflect on what your past cruises were like and how much money you spent. If $1,800 seems out of line with that, then I wouldn't try to spend that much on board. The need to spend a lot of credit could end up feeling like a burden and a waste.

$1800 is a lot of money but seriously that bar bill can climb up pretty fast! If you book a couple of nice excursions and a meal or two at Remy or Palo, there's your $1,800.
How much do you drink? Do you play Bingo a lot?

A lot of posters on here mentioned the bar bill- imo unless you intend to drink most of that money or do expensive excursions for the whole family (questionable if they'll even be available at this point), an $1,800 credit is really pushing it. If 3 of your party are under 18, that means they aren't drinking, or going to Remy or Palo. And Remy and Palo for 2 don't even approach $500 even if you do both, unless you order expensive drinks or upcharge entrees. If you're just there for the standard meal, you're not spending that much.

If Atlantic Aquaventure is open at Nassau and you choose to do that, it will be a few hundred per person, so as a party of 5, you'll spend over $1,000 on that. If you play Bingo regularly onboard & always buy the family pack, you'll spend hundreds that way. If you're really into spa treatments, you can spend a lot on that.

It really depends on the type of cruiser you are. Reflect on what your past cruises were like and how much money you spent. If $1,800 seems out of line with that, then I wouldn't try to spend that much on board. The need to spend a lot of credit could end up feeling like a burden and a waste.

You said it exactly! We didn’t get a single drink on the ship, no spa treatments or bingo, but we did go to Palo. Even though that money is free, I think using $1800 is on the above things would feel wasteful for us. We decided to use the money on an 2 night, adult only cruise. The kids will hate us, but we’ll be in heaven.

Last edited:
What about adding precruise airport hotel and transfers on? This is what I looked at to use up some on one of my previous bookings which then was cancelled anyway

Has no idea you can add pre-cruise hotel and transfers on with the cruise.

Its only certain hotels but its worth looking at if you are coming in the day before the cruise. Yes the rates they have for those hotels are not the cheapest but if you want to use the credit up its a great way in my opinion as you have the $s there and also is a good option if you are worried about having to cancel or anything. If you look at your departure port you should be able to see the hotels they offer on there. I've also heard that people have been able to book Disney hotels as well with the credit but via phoning and asking and again only if attached to the cruise (before or after)

Its only certain hotels but its worth looking at if you are coming in the day before the cruise. Yes the rates they have for those hotels are not the cheapest but if you want to use the credit up its a great way in my opinion as you have the $s there and also is a good option if you are worried about having to cancel or anything. If you look at your departure port you should be able to see the hotels they offer on there. I've also heard that people have been able to book Disney hotels as well with the credit but via phoning and asking and again only if attached to the cruise (before or after)

Yeah, there are no Disney hotels near the port, except for almost 1.5 hrs away (we are leaving from San Diego). I think we decided to use the credit for a 2 night cruise, just me and my husband. Thanks anyways!

Do you cruise once a year? I would spread the credit over multiple cruises (if I could) with a bit more of my own money.

That said, there is a very slim chance of your Mexican Riviera cruise in October happening. If Wonder doesn't do Alaska this summer, there is little reason for it to be on the west coast in October. I would cross this bridge once I get there.

We have only cruised twice and we only cruise every other year, especially with Disney. We decided to move the $1800 credit for a 2 nighter, just for my husband and myself

Yeah, there are no Disney hotels near the port, except for almost 1.5 hrs away (we are leaving from San Diego). I think we decided to use the credit for a 2 night cruise, just me and my husband. Thanks anyways!

No worries but just to clarify its not just Disney hotels. You can use it on any hotels they have near the ports available or certain Disney hotels. In San Diego they are offering the Manchester Grand Hyatt and the Intercontinental https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ports/san-diego-california/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter