Allergy Concerns at WDW Buffets

CathyP74

Earning My Ears
Hello All,

I am a long time listener to the podcast and longtime lurker on the boards. I am so excited that i finally registered! Anyway...on to my question. I am going to WDW in December with my husband, best friend and her family. My friend's daughter is 8 years old and has a peanut allergy. I've reserved dinner at 1900 Park Fare and Crystal Palace for our trip. How concerned should I be about the amount of food options available that do not contain nuts? I know that Disney goes above and beyond when it comes to special circumstance. I've already noted this allergy information in our reservations, but will the chef or server point out the food items that contain nuts? I'm concerned that the child will be limited to food options. Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you help.

Cathy

My daughter is allergic to peanuts, shellfish, and wheat. At each restaurant (including buffets), the chef came out to our table and spoke with us. We were always asked if cross-contamination is an issue. If it's not, then the chef will walk you through the buffet and point out the items that contain peanuts, peanut oil, etc. If it is an issue, then the chef will prepare a separate plate of food just for her. Our best experience was at Liberty Tree in MK! The chef made a wonderful meal for my daughter, along with a very special dessert! :)

My daughter is allergic to peanuts, shellfish, and wheat. At each restaurant (including buffets), the chef came out to our table and spoke with us. We were always asked if cross-contamination is an issue. If it's not, then the chef will walk you through the buffet and point out the items that contain peanuts, peanut oil, etc. If it is an issue, then the chef will prepare a separate plate of food just for her. Our best experience was at Liberty Tree in MK! The chef made a wonderful meal for my daughter, along with a very special dessert! :)

I also meant to mention that we've been to 1900 Park Fare and Crystal Palace, both were great. At 1900 Park Fare, there wasn't much off the buffet that my little one could eat, but she wasn't hungry enough to request her own plate of food...she just ate a bunch a fruit. But, the chef did surprise her with the coolest dessert! Everyone sitting around us was jealous!

My youngest is allergic to peanuts and we did 1900 Park and Hollywood & Vine, no issues at all. Every table service the chef comes out and let's you know what is off limits and they will make something if needed. That was one of my favorite things about WDW. :)

We're gluten free/dairy free, mainly for my son who is intolerant, and no body, NO BODY, accommodates food allergies like WDW.

We also made sure it was noted on all of our ADRs, and spoke with a server or chef at every meal. I was a bit concerned, and had just resigned myself to a few hiccups in the process, and was armed with loads of probiotics, protease, etc. But the entire week was incredible, food-wise. NO problems at all. Servers went out of their way to explain dedicated food prep stations, etc. Every table service meal meant a talk with the chef, and a list of options for my son. Lovely. I for-real cried toward the end of our trip, and told my husband how relieved I was to be able to tell my son YES, you CAN have this/that!!!

We eat a very restricted diet at home (gf/cf, no soy, no preservatives, no food dyes, no gmo's, no refined sugars...I could go on lol), and our yearly 8 days in WDW is when we splurge and eat (within reason) what we want. But it's a serious issue for my son, so for him to be able to eat a brownie, etc was a huge, huge deal.

I would advise you to be at peace...WDW is tops at what they do, and they take your childs allergies etc very seriously. Make all the advance preparation you can, make sure you communicate with servers/chefs, and have a magical trip!

We're gluten free/dairy free, mainly for my son who is intolerant, and no body, NO BODY, accommodates food allergies like WDW.

We also made sure it was noted on all of our ADRs, and spoke with a server or chef at every meal. I was a bit concerned, and had just resigned myself to a few hiccups in the process, and was armed with loads of probiotics, protease, etc. But the entire week was incredible, food-wise. NO problems at all. Servers went out of their way to explain dedicated food prep stations, etc. Every table service meal meant a talk with the chef, and a list of options for my son. Lovely. I for-real cried toward the end of our trip, and told my husband how relieved I was to be able to tell my son YES, you CAN have this/that!!!

We eat a very restricted diet at home (gf/cf, no soy, no preservatives, no food dyes, no gmo's, no refined sugars...I could go on lol), and our yearly 8 days in WDW is when we splurge and eat (within reason) what we want. But it's a serious issue for my son, so for him to be able to eat a brownie, etc was a huge, huge deal.

I would advise you to be at peace...WDW is tops at what they do, and they take your childs allergies etc very seriously. Make all the advance preparation you can, make sure you communicate with servers/chefs, and have a magical trip!

My daughter had her first brownie at WDW and her first plate of spaghetti and meatballs! I cried, too! ;)

If they can't find much she can eat, on request they will cook something specifically for her. Even at the buffets.

Wow! You are all amazing! I can't believe all of the great information you have provided me. I fell soooo much better now and I'm totally looking forward to making the rest of my ADR's. What a fantastic community this is.

Thanks again! You guys and gals rock!!! :thumbsup2

Sincerely,
Cathy

I would suggest going to the disABILITIES Forum and look at Post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs. There is a large section in that post dealing with special dietary needs, as well as many related links. You can get directly to the disABILITIES FAQs by following the link in my signature.

This is a very common topic of discussion in the disABILITIES Forum.

We don't have nut issues, just gluten (and corn this year too:sad1:) but we've had plates made for us with no risk of cross-contact when ever we were unsure at a buffet. Depending on the severity of the allergy/intolerance will determine what you can expect. We've had amazing meals prepared for us at buffets just because our choices were limited. Oh I wish I recalled the names of all the chefs we've talked to over our last 4 trips - there has only been 1 that did not go above and beyond - the rest have been amazing.

Last trip we booked Ohana for BF twice in one trip and the chef remembered us, brought everything out just the way we wanted it - amazing. Angel (was at Pop in 2010) was the most amazing chef making the best linguini for our family, his service and attention to detail had us cancel TS to eat at pop's QS instead.

Anyhow I could gush about the chefs for hours - your friends DD will be just fine.

We recently started no preservatives, no food dyes, no artificial flavors at home. Is that something that you note on your ADR as well (we also have a 5 year old with a peanut allergy)? Thanks!

We recently started no preservatives, no food dyes, no artificial flavors at home. Is that something that you note on your ADR as well (we also have a 5 year old with a peanut allergy)? Thanks!

Contact specialdiets@DisneyWorld.com and let them know about your dietary restrictions, feel free to ask them any questions you have. We often ask which restaurants/quick service re locations and snacks would be best for us to accommodate our needs. They often give us brands and ingredient lists to help us making our dining choices.

Anyone with less common, or multiple dietary restrictions really should contact special diets - the common allergens are easy for Disney to accommodate at most locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter