Allergy & Character Help

kathysr98

Earning My Ears
I'm new here & trying to plan my first Disney trip in over 25 years. My daughter is allergic to milk, has SPD, & is terrified of characters in full costumes (I think princesses will be ok, since they mostly look like people, just dressed up). I understand that Disney is great at working with people with allergies, but I need a little more info to figure out our ADRs.
1. If a restaurant has characters, is there a way to let them know NOT to come to our table?

2. How are allergies handled in buffets or family style meals? Do they just tell us what she can eat or do they prepare separate things? If it's family style do they bring special items at the same time as other items? Also, can anyone suggest really good or really bad places to go with a milk allergy?

Thanks so much!

My mom is allergic to shellfish and at buffets (Boma, Cape May, Crystal Palace etc) a chef usually comes to the table and brings my mom around to show here which items she can eat and are save.

The same is true at the table service restaurants, someone will always come out and tell her which items off the menu are OK to eat.

I would avoid character meals. The tables are pretty close together- so even if they don't stop at yours, they will be very close to your table as they interact with the tables around. Seriously though- the character buffets are nice, but if just going for a meal and not a character- there are usually better values out there!

Some other tips:

Make sure to make note of your issues when you book your meals.

Tell the hostess who seats you on your way to the table- they will send a chef.

At buffets they will walk my wife through the line to show her what she can eat. She is more "intolerant" than "that will kill me" so she usually makes do- they will cook fresh if needed though. They will often bring GF rolls or GF Mickey waffles.

At regular TS- they will offer to cook fresh, mix and match- etc- what ever you need. We've never been upcharged for any side dish substitutions.

They will have access to non dairy ice cream and or sorbet. From what we can tell- there are certain "backstage" pantries that store these items for several restaurants in an area.

One last note- give yourself extra time. While Disney is great- they ARE high volume eateries, and it takes much more time for a chef to come out- and then cook meals outside of their normal process. While the wait is always long, the success is carried. We had great luck at Rose and Crown, The Wave, Le Cellier, Teppan Edo (to some degree them- some degree just being able to watch what they are doing) Kouzinna, Much less success at San Angel Inn and Coral Reef.

I have to agree... Avoid character meals. You can let your server know that she is afraid but they will be at the tables 8 or 12 inches away and walking by constantly. It will make for a stressful meal for all of you.

Thanks for the help!

I guess I've mostly heard about the places that do characters, so I'll start looking for non character stuff & probably concentrate on places with a menu I can check out in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter