• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Allergies at WDW

TheMickey6

Earning My Ears

ok so we are leaving for WDW and staying at POP in 2 days and my oldest DD gets hay fever/ ragweed allergies and they are starting up agian.:sick: So just wondering if anyone has had some bad experiences w/ allergies at WDW. Thanks!

Hi there! My DS7 has TERRIBLE allergies (ragweed, pollen, trees, mold in grass) and he actually does very well in Florida!:goodvibes We live in Nebraska, so we have plenty of pollen and irritants up here. We have been to Disney 3 times and each time he did not get "gunky" at all. We use nasonex every morning in his nose (as well of other meds), but I think the nasal spray really helps. We also irrigate his nose every day (2-3 times a day) and that is great also. (I didn't know what irrigate means, in case you don't it is where I make a homemade saline solution and put it up his nose with a blub syringe and clean out all the bad bacteria). Just keep him on his meds with plenty of water to keep things flowing well in his nose and I bet he will do fantastic! :wizard: Good luck and have a great trip!!:cool1:

So sorry, it is your DD, please know I made this mistake of calling your sweet princess a "him" and I am so sorry!

When we went in May I brought all kinds of algery meds since we (myself and my 9 year old) were using them at home... We didn't use any while we were gone!! We were all fine there, but as soon as we got back home there they were again!

I would say take whatever meds. you usually use, just in case!

Enjoy your trip!

Hi I just moved to Florida a couple months ago, we live about 2 hours from Disney and just spent 5 days up there last week. Ragweed is the worst offender of my allergies, I have yet to have a problem like I've had up north this season!

When we were there last September, I don't know what flew up my nose! :lmao: I normally have some seasonal allergies (hay and grass are the worse). At DW, I had one day where I was sneezing like crazy, runny nose... fortunately, it was only that day. I was fine the day before and after. I didn't really enjoy myself too much carrying around tissues everywhere, but I didn't want to spoil my family's day. I'm pretty sure that I had been taking my allergy medication too. Antihistimine didn't help too much. :confused3
Hopefully you won't have any problems! :thumbsup2

Thanks so much everyone!! Your words have really helped us out! [especially you cindermomma!]:goodvibes allergies is one of my DD biggest worries about our vacation... but it sounds like allergies really aren't a problem in Florida. Thanks again to all adn have a magical day!:cool1: :thumbsup2

I tried doing a "medication holiday" for DD4 while we were in WDW. Between Singulair running $3 a dose and her pediatrician's recommendation to go on and off as allergy seasons came and went, it seemed like a good idea.

Her allergens (as of 2 years ago; I think she's reacting to more stuff now) are pecan, elm, and birch pollen (spring) and ragweed (fall). Apparently, at least one of those blooms in Florida in late May, because she had symptoms within a day or two of going off her meds.

http://pollen.utulsa.edu/ragweed.htm says some varieties of ragweed bloom year-round in Florida.

I would start taking Allergy meds before you go. When ever I travel I start taking Avert about a week before we go & take while on the trip, just in case. Once when we were at WDW my allergies started & all they had at the resort gift shops was benadril type stuff which knocks me out. So be sure to take what doesn't make them drowsey.

Kae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter