Allergic reaction on dream cruise??

ash901

Mouseketeer
Unfortunately DD developed some type of allergic reaction in night 2 of our dream cruise. It developed on her cheeks, and by the morning it was on her neck and shoulders. I took her to the health center, and the ship physician agreed that it was a reaction to "something". It would get better durning the day as we were out and about but was worse again in the morning. We had a 12 hr drive home and by the time we were home it was almost gone. Today it is completely cleared. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?? I am nervous to cruise again if its something that they use that she's allergic to. She has no allergies at home that we are aware of.

Probably the laundry soap or the sheets. I have this problem a lot

Sounds likely, especially since it worsened at night (although hives often do anyway). Didn't I read here somewhere that you could request hypoallergenically washed linens? Maybe I'm just imagining it, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Or bring your own. It seems like a pain to pack sheets, but allergies are no fun--and hives can ruin your vacation, as I've learned from experience.

Edited for a typo

They did change our pillowcases or were supposed too, but it didn't really help. The stateroom hostess kinda acted like I was wasting my time. The rash/itching never really worsened, but just wouldn't go away.

Sounds likely, especially since it worsened at night (although hives often do anyway). Didn't I read here somewhere that you could request hypoallergenically washed linens? Maybe I'm just imagining it, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Or bring your own. It seems like a pain to pack sheets, but allergies are no fun--and hives can ruin your vacation, as I've learned from experience.

Edited for a typo

Ohhh I'd love to know if we can get hypoallergenic sheets. Or at least washed in dye & scent free laundry soap! My daughter has extremely sensitive skin from her eczema. Maybe I'll just bring her own linens to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I react to the soap provided. It has almond oil in it. I didn't use to be so allergic but now I am. So I always have to travel with my own stuff. Disney is really good at accommodating allergies. So, if you ask ahead of time I'm sure you can get special linens for the one bed that she sleeps in if that's what caused it.

Unfortunately DD developed some type of allergic reaction in night 2 of our dream cruise. It developed on her cheeks, and by the morning it was on her neck and shoulders. I took her to the health center, and the ship physician agreed that it was a reaction to "something". It would get better durning the day as we were out and about but was worse again in the morning. We had a 12 hr drive home and by the time we were home it was almost gone. Today it is completely cleared. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?? I am nervous to cruise again if its something that they use that she's allergic to. She has no allergies at home that we are aware of.
On our MedCruise 2010 - 11 nights... my oldest DD10 at that time, suddenly had a terrible allergic reaction on the first night!

Her eyes were starting to bubble like it was a goldfish. It progressively got worse as the night wore on.

For 2 hours, I just couldn't figure it out. Just keep in mind, my DDs have food allergies with one of them have severe food allergies.

So, I gave her Benadryl and water... I had the epi-pen ready in the other hand.

Finally it dawned on me that it got worse as she went to the bathroom. So, I read the ingredients and all the common ingredients was orange/citrus products.

Luckily, I had several bars of unscented and free of dye DOVE soap with us. I made her take a shower and wash her face with it.

Whew! The hives were slowly subsiding.

I was literally freaking out, because I just didn't know. Her hives finally went away on day 3 of the cruise. Yes, we had 8 more days to go.

So, now, I bring my own soaps and ask DCL to remove any lotions or soaps from the room.

Also, we had her tested for allergies to oranges and citrus to confirm my suspicion. Well, the allergy test came out positive for oranges and citrus.

:)

I also bring my own Purex sheets. My DDs are allergic to the regular tide detergent.

On our MedCruise 2010 - 11 nights... my oldest DD10 at that time, suddenly had a terrible allergic reaction on the first night!

Her eyes were starting to bubble like it was a goldfish. It progressively got worse as the night wore on.

For 2 hours, I just couldn't figure it out. Just keep in mind, my DDs have food allergies with one of them have severe food allergies.

So, I gave her Benadryl and water... I had the epi-pen ready in the other hand.

Finally it dawned on me that it got worse as she went to the bathroom. So, I read the ingredients and all the common ingredients was orange/citrus products.

Luckily, I had several bars of unscented and free of dye DOVE soap with us. I made her take a shower and wash her face with it.

Whew! The hives were slowly subsiding.

I was literally freaking out, because I just didn't know. Her hives finally went away on day 3 of the cruise. Yes, we had 8 more days to go.

So, now, I bring my own soaps and ask DCL to remove any lotions or soaps from the room.

Also, we had her tested for allergies to oranges and citrus to confirm my suspicion. Well, the allergy test came out positive for oranges and citrus.

:)

I also bring my own Purex sheets. My DDs are allergic to the regular tide detergent.

Quick note, Purex no longer makes the 3 in 1 sheets.

They did change our pillowcases or were supposed too, but it didn't really help. The stateroom hostess kinda acted like I was wasting my time. The rash/itching never really worsened, but just wouldn't go away.

I would have had them change ALL the bedding, not just the pillowcases. The pillows - and your child - will still be resting on and under the other sheets, so if the bedding was the cause of the allergy, just changing the pillowcases wouldn't really do much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter