Alleluia!!! Removing pre arrival covid 19 testing is on the horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
They haven't updated the government website yet, so we'll have to wait and see how this plays out. From how it's worded now it sounds like you can come back with a positive test >11 days old, OR a negative test. If I got a positive antigen test, knowing that antigen tests are likely to record a negative result sooner after a positive result than a PCR and are also less expensive, I'd likely test every couple days hoping for that negative result before the 11 days is up - then travel home with the negative result.
It has to be negative 24 hours prior to arrival to Canada. So what would testing every day help?

2 things from canada website:
1) looks like the day befoe, not 25hours:
Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry)

And, unfortunately:

• To prove a previous COVID-19 infection, the Government of Canada will continue to only accept molecular test results, taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before entering Canada.
So rapid doesn't work for this. Terrible. Kinda infuriating: if the "10 day clock" doesn't start with a Rapid Test, a PCR is still the way to go.

Last edited:

Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry)

And, unfortunately:

• To prove a previous COVID-19 infection, the Government of Canada will continue to only accept molecular test results, taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before entering Canada.
So rapid doesn't work for this. Terrible. Kinda infuriating: if the "10 day clock" doesn't start with a Rapid Test, a PCR is still the way to go.
This is why, if you test positive on a rapid test at home and you have plans to travel, paying out of pocket has been the only good option. I had covid last week and took this option --- paid $228 for the pleasure, but now I don't have to do a test when coming home from Disneyland next month.

Uggg. This makes no difference to me. I was hoping there was going to be no test. Now it's just a cheaper one.
Is it still 72 hours before? And 10 day quarantine? That is what I need to know.
And for many - at least those going to the US - this isn't even cheaper. We'll still continue to use the free molecular tests from Walgreens.
Yep, minimum 10 day isolation in a foreign country. I say minimum as if you have to isolate with others and one of them tests positive when they have to test again to come home the clock starts all over again. 72 hours before for molecular (everyone has to stop saying PCR as that was never mandated) and it seems like the day before (not 24 hours) for antigen.
The other benefit to the molecular is you have a 72-hour window - so much more leeway to book. Why in the world would you want the stress of the day before? That's bad enough having to do that to fly to the US in the first place.

Uggg. This makes no difference to me. I was hoping there was going to be no test. Now it's just a cheaper one.
Is it still 72 hours before? And 10 day quarantine? That is what I need to know.
Think of it this way as far as the tests go: all they did was add another option of a less expensive antigen test 24 hours in advance of your flight/border crossing. The other types of tests are still options at 72 hours.

And, unfortunately:

The press conference was 24 hours before on the Antigen. The website says 1 day prior. I would probably go with the presser.
The only positive is that you may be able to get a negative rapid test before the 10 days (or you may not and you are stuck until you get one)

Does anyone know if the SwitchHealth test is valid for proving you had Covid within that 180-15 days prior to travel? Or does it have to be one you took at a pharmacy/medical facility?

We're travelling in March. None of us are sick, but we're cruising (DCL) and we need to test at the port unless we have a prior positive. So I'm thinking of ordering the SwitchHealth ones, doing them, say, next week and if we test positive, take appropriate isolation procedures and not have to worry about testing at the port or to come home again.

Thoughts? Is it even worth it to test if we don't think we're sick?

Does anyone know if the SwitchHealth test is valid for proving you had Covid within that 180-15 days prior to travel? Or does it have to be one you took at a pharmacy/medical facility?

We're travelling in March. None of us are sick, but we're cruising (DCL) and we need to test at the port unless we have a prior positive. So I'm thinking of ordering the SwitchHealth ones, doing them, say, next week and if we test positive, take appropriate isolation procedures and not have to worry about testing at the port or to come home again.

Thoughts? Is it even worth it to test if we don't think we're sick?

Remember that the test itself isn't enough. You also need a letter from a healthcare professional, as stated on the DCL website

"
A signed letter (on official letterhead that shows the name, address and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official) stating that you have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 90 days and are clear for travel.
"

I’m going to NYC and tourists can test for free.
There are some free testing options in Orlando and elsewhere in the U.S. as well. Basically the Biden government offers free testing to people without insurance. As I was told by one of the companies, Canadians qualify as we do not have U.S. insurance plans. Those are what the Walgreen's and similar tests are, as I understand it.

Remember that the test itself isn't enough. You also need a letter from a healthcare professional, as stated on the DCL website

"
A signed letter (on official letterhead that shows the name, address and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official) stating that you have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 90 days and are clear for travel.
"
Good point. I hadn’t thought about that.

DH was looking along our driving route for a place to get an antigen test within 24 hours. He says that it’s easier said than done. We may just get the PCR test that DCL offers post-cruise, because it’ll be valid for the 72 hours and it won’t take us that long to drive home.

My sister is flying, but not until late the next day after the cruise, so she’s in the same boat… entering Canada more than 24 hours after we could get the DCL test, which means trying to test at the airport. I’ve heard mixed reviews about that process, but that was a few months ago.

I’m going to NYC and tourists can test for free.
Do tell! We're going to NYC for March break, and were planning on the Walgreens Rapid ID Now - closest one from our hotel is across the river in Jersey, but only about a 15 minute drive.

Is there a place where RATs are available for tourists?

The press conference was 24 hours before on the Antigen. The website says 1 day prior. I would probably go with the presser.
The only positive is that you may be able to get a negative rapid test before the 10 days (or you may not and you are stuck until you get one)
The official website definitely says "day before", not 24 hours. A lot of the press coverage does say 24 hours - but the gov't site is all that matters, so unless they change that it is day before for sure. And that's a lot better.

Do tell! We're going to NYC for March break, and were planning on the Walgreens Rapid ID Now - closest one from our hotel is across the river in Jersey, but only about a 15 minute drive.

Is there a place where RATs are available for tourists?
https://labq.com/covid/

I believe this is one. I’m not going for 2 months yet so haven’t looked for sure. I’m on the TripadvisorNYC forum and they discuss it often.

With a family of 5, the rapid test isn't a very good option; if one or more test positive, then we may all have to keep testing until we can all get to the border with negative results. And without these counting towards the start of the 10 day wait, it could really feel like your in limbo.

We are going to wait for the official language to change on the 28th and take a close look at it but we may just leave Kissimmee (by car) and do the online switch health rapid tests a few hours from the border and beg for forgiveness. We live 10 minutes from the border (near Windsor).

Invoeb
With a family of 5, the rapid test isn't a very good option; if one or more test positive, then we may all have to keep testing until we can all get to the border with negative results. And without these counting towards the start of the 10 day wait, it could really feel like your in limbo.

We are going to wait for the official language to change on the 28th and take a close look at it but we may just leave Kissimmee (by car) and do the online switch health rapid tests a few hours from the border and beg for forgiveness. We live 10 minutes from the border (near Windsor).

that’s kind of like our plan in April … going to stop in NC on the way home and test…if one of us is positive we will be upfront and honest about it and have a documented quarantine plan to present to them when we cross at Buffalo or Niagara Falls.. we will not be staying in the US for another 10 days and re test

It has to be negative 24 hours prior to arrival to Canada. So what would testing every day help?
I'm assuming if you're going the antigen test route, you wouldn't test for the first time until the day before you're due to come home. And if that test were positive, I'd then keep testing regularly until I got my negative test so I could get the hell outta dodge, because every day you're stuck there beyond your initial planned departure is more money and more inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter