Alleluia!!! Removing pre arrival covid 19 testing is on the horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have so many questions 🤣 so is quarantine period still 10 days if you test positive? Also are the switch health tests a better option than going to Walmart or curative? I’ve never really looked at how to get tests yet and I’m a little behind. Can you take Uber to get the tests in Walmart and / curative? What’s the best locations for this? I’m guessing 72 hour PCR is still better in terms of timing…? I was hoping this would help me decide to go ahead with the trip but it seems like it’s not a lot of difference from before.

I don't think this is really an issue at the moment. He stated these measures were transitionary and barring another wave will probably be reduced even further. Cruising doesn't start again in Canada for over a month

And that's my hope, I don't travel until end of May so am hoping a further reduction in testing by then... Of course it all makes me feel hopeful that things are stepping more towards "normal", but I'll guess something will come along to take that away sooner or later lol.

Just read the announcement, and it references “lab-administered” antigen test. Does the Switch rapid antigen test qualify?

So do we still need a rapid/antigen test both ways if we are travelling by car and not flying?

If we test positive, do we still need to wait 10 days to drive back in to Canada? And can we use Rapid Test results to start the 10 day timer, or will we need a PCR for that?

So do we still need a rapid/antigen test both ways if we are travelling by car and not flying?
I didn't think we needed a test to get into the US if we are fully vaccinated, please advise if I am incorrect - these ever changing rules make it possible that I am behind. We would need the negative antigen test to enter Canada.

I didn't think we needed a test to get into the US if we are fully vaccinated, please advise if I am incorrect - these ever changing rules make it possible that I am behind. We would need the negative antigen test to enter Canada.
That's right. Assuming you are travelling by car, no test is needed to enter the US. (By air, you do need a test).

To get into the US by air - currently you need a test (rapid antigen accepted) no more than one day before arrival.
To get into the US by land - no test required.

So who is the cheapest option to get a Rapid Antigen test in Anaheim? Probably Walgreens or CVS but do you need a car to do the drive thru? I see the Covid Courier is $119. Need to figure this out before I leave next week.

There are 5 of us so I'm eager to know this answer too. I am considering buying the Switch or Acculab or "Proof of Entry" (just found that website today) rapid antigen tests in advance of leaving, but would much prefer to just get free testing.... so I don't know.

I have so many questions 🤣 so is quarantine period still 10 days if you test positive? Also are the switch health tests a better option than going to Walmart or curative? I’ve never really looked at how to get tests yet and I’m a little behind. Can you take Uber to get the tests in Walmart and / curative? What’s the best locations for this? I’m guessing 72 hour PCR is still better in terms of timing…? I was hoping this would help me decide to go ahead with the trip but it seems like it’s not a lot of difference from before.

One point some have made is that the PCR test is more sensitive, so there's a greater chance of getting a positive result after a recent infection or if you're asymptomatic, than if you go with an antigen test.

Could someone clarify, Are we allowed to go the US for 72hrs or less without a test or do we still need to have a RAT after February 28th if we go over to the US for the day (if we are fully vaccinated)? (I don't remember reading that anywhere)

If we test positive, do we still need to wait 10 days to drive back in to Canada? And can we use Rapid Test results to start the 10 day timer, or will we need a PCR for that?
They haven't updated the government website yet, so we'll have to wait and see how this plays out. From how it's worded now it sounds like you can come back with a positive test >11 days old, OR a negative test. If I got a positive antigen test, knowing that antigen tests are likely to record a negative result sooner after a positive result than a PCR and are also less expensive, I'd likely test every couple days hoping for that negative result before the 11 days is up - then travel home with the negative result.

One point some have made is that the PCR test is more sensitive, so there's a greater chance of getting a positive result after a recent infection or if you're asymptomatic, than if you go with an antigen test.
Exactly. If you test positive on a Rapid Test (aka Antigen test), you *are* positive, and contagious. But you could test positive on a PCR test without actually being sick. Maybe you had Covid a few months ago and didn't get it proven with a PCR test? Maybe you didn't even KNOW you had it?

I had Covid last week and paid to get a PCR test done. My husband and kids didn't catch it. My fear is that they in fact DID get it (enough to turn a PCR test positive) when we come home from Disneyland next month. The fact that we now only have to get rapid tests is a huge weight off my shoulders. For as contagious as Omicron is, the reality of so many people testing positive on PCR is a very high possibility, even if not currently sick.

No surprise for those that have read my earlier posts - this is extremely disappointing. I cannot actually see any benefit to these changes whatsoever for the average traveler. Knowing you may have to isolate in a foreign country for 10 days every time you leave Canada is a massive barrier.
As for the antigen option - pairing it with such a short window, to me, makes it an unattractive option to be honest. And I guess day trips are out as well for the foreseeable future.

There are 5 of us so I'm eager to know this answer too. I am considering buying the Switch or Acculab or "Proof of Entry" (just found that website today) rapid antigen tests in advance of leaving, but would much prefer to just get free testing.... so I don't know.
I just booked with Acculab. My cousin has used it a few times and said it works great. Similar to Swtich but a little cheaper. I was able to book my appointment right away. I just need the test to arrive by friday because we leave tuesday.

I got so excited about booking a trip!! The 14 day quarantine for unvaccinated kids is really disruptive (my kids are currently at home since we got back from a trip a week ago). And then I remembered that I’m out of vacation days. So I’ll just be excited for everyone with trips coming up who are happy about this change!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter