Alleluia!!! Removing pre arrival covid 19 testing is on the horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
EEK! If they drop this I will be thrilled. I've been holding off making any plans now my head is spinning between should we go March Break or the week of Easter? March Break I'd have to book in the dogs at the kennel, still waiting on kids passports, do I take them to Disney or stay at a house with a pool, What hotel overnight, I77 or i75... You get the idea. I'm pretty much in my element and in planning glory. :D

I will be happy when this ends. Can't wait to get back to Cedar Point. Covid killed Disney for me and my family.

Fingers crossed they remove the fine if you test positive and want to return to Canada (and guess if not, you will test negative a lot quicker than 10 days)

It is better than PCR but I agree I am not as optimistic as I was earlier today.
I'm not sure antigen is much better than molecular, tbh -- from a travel logistics perspective. Free molecular tests aren't that hard to come by in the US -- we did Walgreen's last week and it was a breeze. The current molecular requirement also has the advantage of being valid 72 hours out. If you test positive, 72 hours is enough time to find backup accommodation (or cancel a hotel that you may have booked as a backup, which is what we did) and also enough time to cancel and/or rebook flights. Plus you have 72 hours to relax a little once you test negative! It seems possible (likely?) that a switch to antigen testing would also mean switching to a 24 hr or one calendar day timeline. That means worrying until the last minute that you might test positive, and really left scrambling if you do.

I'm not sure about travel to other countries, where molecular testing might be more difficult or expensive to find... and so antigen testing could be a real advantage... but this is a Disney forum, so....

I'm not sure antigen is much better than molecular, tbh -- from a travel logistics perspective. Free molecular tests aren't that hard to come by in the US -- we did Walgreen's last week and it was a breeze. The current molecular requirement also has the advantage of being valid 72 hours out. If you test positive, 72 hours is enough time to find backup accommodation (or cancel a hotel that you may have booked as a backup, which is what we did) and also enough time to cancel and/or rebook flights. Plus you have 72 hours to relax a little once you test negative! It seems possible (likely?) that a switch to antigen testing would also mean switching to a 24 hr or one calendar day timeline. That means worrying until the last minute that you might test positive, and really left scrambling if you do.

I'm not sure about travel to other countries, where molecular testing might be more difficult or expensive to find... and so antigen testing could be a real advantage... but this is a Disney forum, so....
Antigen is so much cheaper tho that you could potentially take a test 3 days before to make sure you are covid free and then 24 hrs before for the travel. You would still be spending less than half $$

This article makes it sound like PCR will be replaced with an antigen “on arrival”. I would be fine with that.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...ted-canadian-travellers-source-says-1.5778453

This article has updated a couple times. Initially it said antigen upon arrival, now it is saying must show proof of negative antigen, which i assume means testing in the US preflight still. Was hoping we could do it back home.

Waiting on next weeks announcement..

The turn around time on the PCRs is what freaks me out . So many reports of people not getting their results in time, paid or not. Timely moleculars are far from accessible. In the entire state of Maine, for example, Walgreens does not have the NAAT option so you are left to take a traditional PCR with a turn around time of 48 hrs and hope for the best. Even in Orlando, unless you have your own vehicle, getting a NAAT requires some hassle and research. I am still not sure if an Uber would take us through the drive through testing site and I’ve been looking into it for months. For $40 I can pack a switch health rapid antigen test with me and take it from my hotel room . I agree it’s not perfect, but it does make life easier and less costly for my family. To each their own though!

Last edited:
The article says CTV has confirmed you will have to show proof of a negative antigen. We don’t have the exact details yet so it’s all speculation but if I can bring an antigen test in my suitcase and do it in my hotel room with a video call that would be easier than trying to get and wait for the results of a PCR in my opinion.

I don't know anything about Antigen tests (except for the ones you can get from Switch Health). Are there free options in the US at Walgreens, CVS etc like there are for PCR tests?

I don't know anything about Antigen tests (except for the ones you can get from Switch Health). Are there free options in the US at Walgreens, CVS etc like there are for PCR tests?
Yes there are free/cheap Antigen test options. The molecular - like the Walgreens rapid one would still be accepted if they made the change.
I did an antigen test the same day I got my PCR +. It was SUPER faint (which means +) …the next day, the antigen was clearly +. As long as “day” before, not 24 hours before flight, it gives time to make changes. Due to disbelief - I did not make arrangements until I clearly saw the positive antigen. So all arrangements were made day before initial flight home.

The turn around time on the PCRs is what freaks me out . So many reports of people not getting their results in time, paid or not. Timely PCRs are far from accessible. In the entire state of Maine, for example, Walgreens does not have the NAAT option so you left to take a traditional PCR with turn around time of 48 hrs and hope for the best. Even in Orlando, unless you have your own vehicle, getting a NAAT requires some hassle and research. For $40 I can pack a switch health rapid antigen test with me and take it from my hotel room . I agree it’s not perfect, but it does make life easier and less costly for my family. To each their own though!
For sure, my comments are really specific to Orlando only, and based on how easy it is to get a free NAAT test (not PCR!) with a rental car in that area (I don't think there are too many reports of the Walgreens ID NOW tests coming back late? ours was 45 mins-2 hrs). When we checked into our Westjet flight at MCO on Sunday morning, there were women behind us who had gotten PCR tests at CVS on the Thursday afternoon before and their results hadn't come back in time. The gate agent told them he could get them a $$$$ rapid PCR test at MCO, but there was no guarantee that they would get results in time to board the flight. I felt so bad for them, and so grateful for all the information that folks have shared on this forum. I did do the Switch Health home antigen test before leaving for the US -- I didn't love the last minute timeline, but it's hard to beat the convenience of doing it from my dining room table (with Shoppers booked as a backup a few hours later in case the Switch test was inconclusive...overkill perhaps, but I am a planner!).

Last edited:
Question for those that have tested positive, how easy was it to extend the hotel stay or find new accommodations? We are hoping for Disneyland in June, driving so I guess on the way home we'd do the test but would have to book a hotel in Washington if we test positive, not so concerned about the time or money factors as we work remotely so no issue there but I am worried about being able to find a hotel that will take us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter