Allegiant Air switching to fly in/out from Sanford again

syng0

Mouseketeer
Just got this in my e-mail..I really liked direct flight into MCO :(

Dear Valued Customer,

Beginning Feb. 1, 2011, Allegiant will move all nonstop air service from Orlando International Airport (MCO) to Orlando Sanford International Airport (SFB).

After a year of service at Orlando International, our customers showed a distinct preference for the convenience of the smaller Sanford airport. We also believe that long term we will be able to continue to offer you the best travel deals by having a consolidated operation in Orlando.

Allegiant will move service from Orlando International Airport to Orlando Sanford International Airport as follows:

• Allentown, Pa. - Feb. 1, 2011
• Des Moines, Iowa - Feb. 2, 2011
• Grand Rapids, Mich. - Feb. 3, 2011
• Greenville/Spartanburg, S.C. - Feb. 1, 2011
• Huntington, W.V. - Feb. 4, 2011
• Knoxville, Tenn. - Feb. 1, 2011
• Lexington, Ky. - Feb. 4, 2011
• Springfield, Mo. - Feb. 4, 2011
• Tri-Cities, Tenn. - Feb. 4, 2011
• Youngstown, Ohio - Feb. 2, 2011

For those that will travel before the above dates, you will fly into Orlando International as booked. For those with reservations after the move dates, your service will now be into Orlando Sanford International Airport, and you will receive separate communication from our Customer Care team with more detailed information.

Thank you,

Allegiant Travel Company

our customers showed a distinct preference for the convenience of the smaller Sanford airport.
Translation: when we had to charge a little bit more to recover the higher landing fee costs in MCO, people stopped flying with us.

Translation: when we had to charge a little bit more to recover the higher landing fee costs in MCO, people stopped flying with us.

and having some of our staff at SFB and the rest at MCO made no sense.
having some of our planes in SFB and the rest at MCO gave us less flexibility during irregular operations.

My translation is moving to MCO did not gain them the number of customers they hoped it would. Sanford is cheaper. There were recent posts that they cut the days of the week they are flying out of some cities so I question the long term viability of this airline.

Hate this news, we just used them this past October and loved the convience and price for the non stop option at an airport less than 15 min from my house.

Also: Allegiant moved certain flights to MCO in response to AirTran starting competing flights in the same markets, which made arriving at SFB a disadvantage. Now, AirTran is (barring any surprises) going to be absorbed by Southwest, which doesn't tend to operate low-frequency services. Thus, no long-term reason for Allegiant to remain at MCO...

I am totally frustrated as I made a reservation for 2/8 and they made this public several days afterward. They will not refund the money and I have no clue as to transportation out of Sanford to disney. Plus I leave at 7 am that Friday:confused3. Cannot afford the expense of a cab, and have no idea as to "shuttle service". Can anyone offer any info? Allegiant said to call American Coach, what a joke, they don't even answer their phone!

Also: Allegiant moved certain flights to MCO in response to AirTran starting competing flights in the same markets, which made arriving at SFB a disadvantage. Now, AirTran is (barring any surprises) going to be absorbed by Southwest, which doesn't tend to operate low-frequency services. Thus, no long-term reason for Allegiant to remain at MCO...

I am totally frustrated as I made a reservation for 2/8 and they made this public several days afterward. They will not refund the money and I have no clue as to transportation out of Sanford to disney. Plus I leave at 7 am that Friday:confused3. Cannot afford the expense of a cab, and have no idea as to "shuttle service". Can anyone offer any info? Allegiant said to call American Coach, what a joke, they don't even answer their phone!

Mears has a shuttle.

Depending on how many of you are traveling, a one-way car rental could also work.

I don't think Mears runs shuttle buses from Sanford. They might offer taxi or towncar service.

Either rent a car for one day/one way for your day of arrival and day of departue or take a car service.

You can probably get a credit card refund from Allegiant if you press the issue.

I would call them back. Being that they changed the airport they are flying to, I think they are obligated to refund your ticket.

I would call them back. Being that they changed the airport they are flying to, I think they are obligated to refund your ticket.

I'm actually not sure that that is true. They haven't changed the city - just the airport. If you look on the site, you book for "ORLANDO" (from the city drop down menus). I have a feeling that there is some fine print somewhere that allows them to do this change without being obligated to refund the ticket.

I am NOT arguing that they shouldn't refund the ticket, just that they may not have to.

Also, what are the airfares like on other airlines? I may be cheaper to stay with Allegiant and get from Sanford to WDW.

From the contract of carriage
A.Cancelled Flights or Late or Irregular Operations – In the event Carrier cancels or fails to operate any flight according to Carrier's published schedule, or changes the schedule of any flight, Carrier will, at the request of a passenger confirmed on such flight:
1.transport the passenger on another of Carrier's flights on which space is available at no additional charge; or
2.refund the unused portion of the passenger's fare in accordance with Article 90 below.

The published schedule lists Sanford as the arrival airport. I think you can push for a refund. Credit card dispute if necessary. Just make sure you can book airfare for a price you can live with to MCO before you demand a refund.

We flew into Sanford on Allegiant a few weeks ago and much prefered Sanford over MCO. It cost a bit more to rent the car, but in the end it was a nice treat to have the car to get around instead of taking the Disney bus system. I'd definitely recommend Sanford.

I'm actually not sure that that is true. They haven't changed the city - just the airport. If you look on the site, you book for "ORLANDO" (from the city drop down menus). I have a feeling that there is some fine print somewhere that allows them to do this change without being obligated to refund the ticket.

I am NOT arguing that they shouldn't refund the ticket, just that they may not have to.

Also, what are the airfares like on other airlines? I may be cheaper to stay with Allegiant and get from Sanford to WDW.

Sanford is not Orlando. It's in a different county - Seminole. They are flying into a different airport in a different county, 34 miles apart without the same services (DME). I think that would qualify as a major change.

Sanford is a very easy airport to maneuver. I think the main drawback is the lack of ME. My DS and family rented from Alamo and got a great deal on a minivan. I don't know about shuttle service and I imagine a taxi would be very costly! :confused:

It doesn't matter what fine print Allegiant may have. The U.S. Department of Transportation requires airlines to make a ticket refundable if there is a change in the airport used. See http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/20010925.htm.

If the OP wants a refund, I would suggest calling back Allegiant and demanding to speak to someone who actually knows the rules, and understands that DOT can impose serious fines for non-compliance...

It doesn't matter what fine print Allegiant may have. The U.S. Department of Transportation requires airlines to make a ticket refundable if there is a change in the airport used. See http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/20010925.htm.

If the OP wants a refund, I would suggest calling back Allegiant and demanding to speak to someone who actually knows the rules, and understands that DOT can impose serious fines for non-compliance...

Interesting. Assuming nothing has changed passengers are entitled to a refund your flight is changed from N/S to a direct flight (with a stop) or from a N/S (or direct flight) to a connecting flight.

Of course that assumes you're able to purchase alternative flights, at a price you're willing to pay, that better suits your needs.

Thanks to all who have responded! I am trying to work out some deal with Allegiant as I write this! Will travel to Orlando on SW from now on. Thanks again everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter