Allegiant Air--should I pay the "seat selection" fee?

snackyx

Mouseketeer
I am going to book Allegiant Air to Orlando for the first time (Sanford, actually) but notice they charge $12-$15 each way per person for seat selection. If you do not purchase this option you are assigned seats at check-in/podium before boarding.

My question to those who have used this airline: Is it really necessary to purchase the seat selection? How good are they at keeping parties together at the counter? We have a party of five at this adds $150 round trip to the total cost, and it seems like it may not be necessary to pay it.

Any experiences with this?

You didn't list the ages of your group. Do you mind splitting up? Take your chances and don't pay. Is it important to sit together? Include the price of assigned seats, checked luggage and transfers from Sanford to WDW in evaluating the price for airfare.

Don't expect passengers who paid for seats to move to accommodate passengers who didn't pay. Assume there are a number of families that want to sit together and don't pay. Some of them will wind up together and some won't.

The question isn't if many, or even most, groups wind up sitting together. The question is if you're willing to accept the possibility of being split.

I have never paid for priority boarding or seat selection with Allegiant. My party of 5 has always been together. Once we were seated 2 together and 3 on another row. I have also had people trade with my family. The last time I traveled Allegiant. My kids were 5, 8, and 11 so I was concerned. I figured we could trade with a single traveler if necessary. I did check in early at the gate so we would have a better chance of sitting together.

Unless you would be willing to be separated, I would pay it. Yes it will probably work out, but it might not. Don't risk it if you really must sit together.

I agree with Lewis. If you want/need the certainty, pay for it. I've flown Allegiant several times (although they've now left Lansing, MI). When DD was younger and we wanted no issues with seating, we paid for the seat selection.

If you have a preference as to where you like to sit or if is important to you to have your party sit together then I would pay for the seats.

When traveling with my kids I always pay to pre-select our seats, in fact even when I am traveling solo I still choose to pay for my seat.

I would hope that just because I was traveling alone I would not be expected to give up the seat I paid for to accomodate someone who chose not to pay.

I guess if you are truly willing to split up then it may be worth taking a chance. If it's important to sit together or especially if your traveling with younger children IMHO it makes sense to pay.

TJ

Another option is to pay to select seats for only part of your party (assuming Allegiant allows this.

If, for example, your group was mom, dad, and three kids (3,6,16). You might want to ensure that the two youngest were sitting with an adult, but the 16 year old was fine on their own. So you could pay for three seats (one adult with both of the two younger kids) or four seats (one adult with each of the younger children).

At check-in, you can see if there are seats by the ones you've already chosen for those without seat selection or see if there are a group of five seats all together that you can all move to. This way, if there are no groups of seats, the ones that you are worried about are covered.

where are you flying out of? I was in the process of booking flights last night from toledo to sanford for our june trip and right in the middle of my booking flights went from $59 each way per person up to $89. I'm crossing my fingers they come back down.

If you're only concerned about a parent sitting with young children, that is probably not much of a concern. There are two adults and two young children, so two pair of seats is not unreasonable to count on (though still not guaranteed), and the 16 year old can sit on his/her own.

where are you flying out of? I was in the process of booking flights last night from toledo to sanford for our june trip and right in the middle of my booking flights went from $59 each way per person up to $89. I'm crossing my fingers they come back down.
It should be noted that it's less likely that fares went up that much that suddenly, and more likely that the $59 seats sold out - or that the number of seats you needed exceeded the number of $59 seats available - due to other customers booking tickets on the same flight at the same time.

We will be using Allegiant for the first time on Sunday. The good thing about them is that they don't overbook their flights so at least you all will be in the same plane together. Regarding families, when I contacted them they stated that they would not separate a child from their family and that they would always accomodate the family in regards to staying together. For this reason we do not use the assigned seat option.

Never been to SFB so this will be a first for us. We fly into SFB, but thankfully we are using Southwest for our return flight and we will be departing from MCO (home sweet home LOL). At $29.00 per person to fly there was worth it so I hope that Allegiant comes to our airport (SAT) so that we can take more advantage of our AP's.

when I contacted them they stated that they would not separate a child from their family and that they would always accomodate the family in regards to staying together.
I can't see how they can promise this. If the plane is full of folks who buy up all the aisle and window seats, I wouldn't think they'd move those people. If I were such a person, and had to move to some center seat losing the seat I'd paid for, I'd be very unhappy.

It should be noted that it's less likely that fares went up that much that suddenly, and more likely that the $59 seats sold out - or that the number of seats you needed exceeded the number of $59 seats available - due to other customers booking tickets on the same flight at the same time.

not that i dont understand the concept there but i dont think thats the case because all of their flights went up at the same time, not just the ones i was looking at. And then they did end up coming back down last night to $59 around 7 pm.

If the plane is full of folks who buy up all the aisle and window seats, ...
I suspect that that has never happened. I do know that airlines, in general, do assure that young children don't fly alone if their parent is in the aircraft. Older children, perhaps, but not younger children.

I also suspect that someone sitting at the window in the back row, by the head, would be willing to move to the exit row or the bulkhead.

I suspect that that has never happened. I do know that airlines, in general, do assure that young children don't fly alone if their parent is in the aircraft. Older children, perhaps, but not younger children.

I also suspect that someone sitting at the window in the back row, by the head, would be willing to move to the exit row or the bulkhead.

Although it is possible that not all aisles and windows have been purchased, it has absolutely happened that children (reports on DIS have been as young as 2, and I've read stories of children at least as young on other boards) have been seated away from their parents when families have not purchased seats. The airline will not force a someone else to move simply to seat a child (even a young child) with a parent. The only time that they can force someone else to move, is to ensure that a child traveling in a child seat is seated next to one parent.

Given that children can fly without their parents on the plane at all as of the age of 5 years, they clearly think children this young can fly without their parents.

Again, if a parent is willing to risk the chance that they will have to sit away from their child, go ahead and don't pay for your seat - just don't believe that the airline can ensure that you are seat beside your child. They cannot do so.

AFAIK airlines block seats for gate assignment. The question is what happens if there aren't enough blocked seats to accommodate famlies that didn't purchase assigned seats.

I agree an airline will make sure a young child can sit next to at least one parent but most airlines let a child over 5 fly as an unaccompanied minor. I'd assume the GA and FA will do whatever is necessary so a child under 5 can sit next to at least one parent. Some posters are under the impression passengers who paid for seats will move, or the airline will make passengers move for older children. One poster wanted to sit next to a 16 year old, many posters think they're entitled to sit next to an 8, 10 or 12 year old.

Flights to Orlando are filled with famlies. It's not reasonable to assume the GA/FA will be able to accomodate famlies with older children.

I suspect that that has never happened.
I suspect it hasn't either. But you of all people should know that this is not the same as "it can't happen."

Odds are, it might work out. But, if the OP wants a guarantee, they would be well served to pay the fee for those who absolutely must sit together. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

If you book your Allegiant reservations without assigned seats, can you go back and purchase assigned seats at a later date if you find the flight is filling up? I know Allegiant makes a good chuck of their revenue charging for things are are free elsewhere (hence the cheap "initial" cost), so I would want to know if they are going to charge me some other "change" fees in addition to the actual cost of the seat fee, which is about $13-$14 per seats per segment. I know there is a fee if you have to rebook the flight, but this would be just purchasing the reserved seats.

I agree an airline will make sure a young child can sit next to at least one parent
Precisely my point.
but most airlines let a child over 5 fly as an unaccompanied minor.
The age divider between young children and other children differ from airline to airline.
Some posters are under the impression passengers who paid for seats will move, or the airline will make passengers move for older children.
Yes, that is a silly thing for folks to assume. I agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter