• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

all the budgeting and planning, I still feel like I'm going to let DD down

abmitch01

DIS Veteran
we planned this trip relatively late, several months ago. DD15 and myself. I promised myself I would lose 30 lbs and walk every day so I could keep up with her. I didn't do it. We leave 8/9. It's going to be hot and humid, bad for my asthma. She's going to be frustrated by how much slower I walk than her. I'm so embarrassed. I really want this trip to be special, I don't think there will be many years that she will want to do trips like this with me. ugh

Start walking today - you'll be amazed at how quickly you can build up your stamina, even in just a couple of weeks.

I totally agree. While I am far from "in shape" I started walking and within about 2 weeks I increased my stamina a bunch. I started out getting fatigued after about 20 minutes and now I can do 40-60 without totally wanting to die!

Start walking today - you'll be amazed at how quickly you can build up your stamina, even in just a couple of weeks.

I totally agree. While I am far from "in shape" I started walking and within about 2 weeks I increased my stamina a bunch. I started out getting fatigued after about 20 minutes and now I can do 40-60 without totally wanting to die!

Exactly! Start today and walk every day. You have almost 3 weeks before you go!

Try not to be depressed over what you didn't do - over, done with, gone - just do it (not to sound like a sneaker commercial)

Try walking outside st dusk after it cools down. You might be more motivated if you have something to look at

I'm attempting to do the same thing. I downloaded the couch to 5K app for my iPhone and am starting week 4. I noticed that my knees do not like the running part (I'm 51 and very overweight), so I just walk fast during the "run" parts. It's a great way to build up your stamina. You start with a 5 min. warm up, then run or walk fast for a few minutes, then walk slower for a few minutes, and so on, until the 5 min. cool down. The workouts are around 30 min. each. It keeps me on track and pushes me a little bit, too. I hate the way I felt walking around WDW in the heat last August. I would sweat just standing around, I couldn't keep up with the family and my feet were killing me (thank God for blister bandages)! You have plenty of time to build up some stamina. I'm glad you're starting today!

I also agree start walking now.But I would also suggest rentinga scooter .My husband has a hard time keeping up with me.Three years ago I rented a scooter for him.It was the best decision,he loved it. He does have nearopathy and has some trouble .Many people rent scooters ,some look like they do not need them. Who cares it will give you confidence and every bus ,boat an monorail can accomadate them.Really strollers are for parents convience why not a scooter for you.You could choose when to use it.I found the basket on the front of his very handy.Have fun .

plan a lunch at an A/C inside place. Also plan for inside places to wait during hot times--such as pirates of Carb.
I agree with PP, start walking now! You could lose 5 lbs and be in better shape by mid-Aug. If you walk a lot and eat healthy, you could lose another 3-5 lbs on your trip! That would make you almost 10 lbs lighter when you get back--even 10 lbs is a BIG effect on your health. I am on the same game plan--going 8/15 and needed to be down by 20lbs for general health--total failure so far--so I am trying for 5 lbs by 8/15 and then losing 3-5 more on the trip. I lost 3.5 lbs in 1 week @ WDw in June--I'm sure b/c of walking and choosing healthy--lots of salads, chicken, splitting burgers and adding a piece of fruit, etc.

Walking will make you feel better but maybe you should lighten up on yourself! I have no doubt you put a lot of time , money and thought into this trip and the planning. You deserve to feel good about it. Nothing is ever perfect and don't let anyone else make you feel bad about it. You planned this with love and you should walk, relax and enjoy. ( 15 year olds are always going to find something to sigh about , right?) I hope you both have a very special and fun filled trip:goodvibes

One more thing. Ignore that scale for now. Just focus on your mobility. You will feel a difference in your clothes but may not see much on the scale in a short time. That can be didcouraging

Yes, get out there and get moving. More than once a day. Try for morning and then evening walks.

Also, I suspect that perhaps you're disappointed in yourself, and maybe you're projecting your feelings onto her a little bit? If I were your daughter, and you were bringing me on a trip to Disney, even at 15, I would not be disappointed in her because we had to rest now and then, or had to walk slowly.

I think it's normal to be a little disappointed in yourself, I, too promised myself I would walk in anticipation of our trip, and I didn't either. But, I don't think your daughter will be disappointed in you at all.

I agree with the others --- Start moving NOW! :cool1:

It's not too late to improve your stamina and even lose a few pounds. Don't focus on your weight right now, focus on your ability to walk longer distances.

What I found out at WDW was that even though you may walk several miles per day, it's spread out across the entire day/evening and includes lots of breaks (such as ride queues, riding the rides, eating meals, etc) so it doesn't feel like you're constantly walking. You can go at a slower pace if you want, your daughter will not mind and it won't be an issue. It's important to take your time to enjoy the scenery and theming. :love:

You have plenty of time to make a small difference in your stamina. Just focus on being healthy.

The good thing about Disney is that there is also a lot sitting! On rides, in shows on the monorail....... Its not all non stop running. I started working out in January. (i was way out of shape) and cant tell you how much better i feel. You have 3 weeks! Start walking today. I recently ran a 5k! :scared1: thats fom basically shuffling in January. You will feel better. And stop beating yourself up! Have a great trip.

Oh one of the first workouts i did was a youtube video Leslie Sasone walk away the pounds ( she has 1 mile-5 miles ones on you tube. I liked the 2 mile to start. ) good thing about those is ypu just walk at home.

thanks everyone. I think on the trip I will allow myself some treats. We're doing BOG and we haven't done the countries in Epcot, well, since I've had kids. I'm determined to try some of the snacks there.

I say go and have fun with your daughter! Having lived in Florida almost all my life, my first suggestion is to bring LOTS of water! You can get so dehydrated here so quickly and I see so many people get sick from the heat and not drinking water. I carry a bottle of water with me wherever I go. Get some comfy sneakers, a scooter if necessary, and even an umbrella to block the sun! Wear sunscreen, too. You can go to the parks early, then go back to the hotel mid-day and swim and rest. Have a wonderful time, just remember to take care of yourself. You don't have to see it all in one day! I hope you have a very nice time!

OP, I know this doesn't magically make it "all better."

But I want to thank you for inspiring me. We are taking a trip of a lifetime to Italy the first week in Nov. Watching videos I realized I would need to walk a good bit and climb a LOT of stairs if I want to see my imaginary trip come true.

For a week now I've been saying "gotta start walking." (Then, not doing it):confused3

It is 90+ degrees today but you warned me: stop procrastinating and get out there moving. I'll smile thinking of you when I go walking after dinner--starting TONIGHT!:love:

Download either the Sorcerer Radio app or Pandora. On Sorcerer Radio you can listen to music from the parks. On Pandora you can type in "Disney parks" and get some music from the parks & some just regular Disney music. Get some good earbuds and walk while listening to Disney park music. I guarantee that will get you to look forward to your daily walks. You'll be walking 3+miles in less than 2 weeks!!!!

And someone mentioned about drinking enough water. My family went to WDW last June and 3 out of 4 of us got dehydrated. You start feeling lightheaded, dizzy & nauseous. It was awful! When people on the DIS say to make sure you drink enough water they really mean it. It hits you quickly.

Anyway, good luck with this. I know you can do it. Think positive thoughts and you will be having no problems keeping up with your dd15!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter