• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All Star Sport vs Dolphin

Saving about $300 by staying at the All Star would have been nice for souveniers, etc... BUT I got to thinking about the early closing times and the chance for really cold weather and wondered what my kids would do. 4 Heated pools, miniature golf, and the Camp Dolphin answered that question. Then there is my wife. She DESERVES the upgrade in celebration of our 10th. Anyone who has put up with me for that long DESERVES to have something special to remember. Do you have any special places at the Dolphin or elsewhere that creates a special magic moment that we might check out. Something not often posted or written about?

Troyfus - be sure to let the Dolphin staff know you will be celebrating your 10th anniversary. If you want to be closest to the pools, Tubbi's Buffeteria, and the laundry/game room/bus stop - ask for a room in the west wing.

There are a number of restaurants within the Swan and Dolphin, plus the ones at the Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach Club to choose from. For nighttime entertainment when the kids are at Camp Dolphin- Jellyrolls on the Boardwalk is a fun (but smoky) piano bar. If you like karaoke - Kimono's at the Swan has it nightly. If you feel like dancing - there's Atlantic Dance - also on the Boardwalk!

We Stayed at All Stars music, and I am pretty sure it is the same layout with the exception of theming. We had the advantage of staying on site at a reduced price- more money for souveniers. We spent so much time in the parks that it would have been a huge waste of money to stay at a more expensive hotel such as the Dolphin. The themed pools at All Stars was very satisfying for my children. If you want to spend most of your time at the parks- stay at All Stars. If you want to relax more and enjoy your resort amenities then stay at the Dolphin.:D

I had the same chose as you and boy did we ever choose Wrong! When we went for the All Star Music - Jazz. We had a Nightmare of a room,soaking wet carpet,broken stuff,lousy maid service,we couldn't get a bar of soap in that room for 4 days!! There isn't any themeing of anything Disney in the rooms.I couldn't beleive that..... And the WDW Vacation breaker for ME at Jazz was that there are MEN ALL over the wallpaper that stare at you when you are in the bathroom,very creepy,one even has a pop eye,and he is everywhere,even in the shower!!

Believe your wife will thank you for chosing the Dolphin over All Stars!!

Ok. You sold me and I bought. Now I need help. We haven't really vacationed for years. What do I tip for these types of services?
Tiffany Town Car?
Dolphin luggage service?
Dolphin housekeeping?
It will be New Years too, do you tip more?
Any others we should be prepared for?
Help!!!!!
I want to tip reasonably within our budget, but have no idea of where to start.

I haven't used a towncar service - so you might want to post that question on the Transportation board. I'm guessing you would tip 10-15% of the total (before coupon), and split that in half, as you may have different drivers each way.

For housekeeping, we tipped $1 per person per day. So, $4-$5 each day is sufficient. We encountered two different people handling our luggage the last time we checked in at the Dolphin - one who unloaded our car as we drove up, and one who showed us to our room. I think $1 per bag is the usual, but split that in half if you have two people helping you.

I don't think you need to tip extra at New Year's unless you get extra special service.

Now that you have the BIG decisions taken care of, you can enjoy the next 6 months of planning the minor details of your trip! :D

**I wanted to add that all the Christmas decorations will still be up when you arrive. Be SURE to see the Osborne Lights at MGM!

OK, I'll bite on your questions to Nancy.

Towncar = $10 each way.
Luggage Service = $1-2 per bag.
Housekeeping = $1 pp per day.

Since it is the holiday time and you are on vacation and they are stuck working, I would probably tip a little better than usual. Remember your waiters and waitresses, too, for good service, with a higher tip.

Don't tip anymore than you can afford, though. WDW is expensive enough without having to work overtime just because you were a generous tipper. ;)

You will be so glad you went with the Dolphin!!!

Don't forget to buy a couple of Refillable Mugs.....that should certainly save you a few $$!:)

You will also get 20% off of all food items at both Tubbis and the Dolphin Fountain by using your DC card. For us, that was a BIG help!!:D

Originally posted by Troyfus
also said that the resort fee could be waived if we ask at check-in. So main reservations have been made.
Delta Air RT for 4 = $1020

Troyfus,

Congratulations on getting your trip booked. Now the wait begins. EEK :) We are going the second week in December and now that im all booked I don't know what to do with myself :) Could someone please speed up time!!!

One suggestion on the air fare. You might want to see if Delta has a similar policy as American on air fare. As I understand if you book a flight on American and you see the fare go down before the date of travel you can call and get a Rollover. From what I have been told they will give you the lower rate then issue credit vouchers for the difference. I'm not sure if Delta does the same. Delta does come up with pretty good deals from time to time. Last year they had $100 including taxes (of course I was booked on American already :( ) and for our trip in December we got $155 including taxes. This was from DFW to Orlando.

Originally posted by Troyfus

TTC w/Passport coupon = $ 72

Are you talking about Tiffany Town Car? Where did you find this coupon? I sure would like to get my hands on one too. The coupon I have is for $5.00. Sure would rather $72 then $85.

we have now stayed twice at the ALL STARS and we will not be doing it again no matter how much we save!

Been there done that NOT going back....

We stayed at the Swan last May and Loved it.

you made a good choice in picking the dolphin.

Mal

I believe the rates for Tiffany Town Car are $85 for the Magic Kingdom Resorts and $80 for all other Disney Resorts. Wouldn't the Dolphin rate be $80 then?
The coupon is for $8 off and it is in the back of the current edition of Passporter. Wow this book is fabulous! I'm really getting into this, now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter