All Star Movies

somagical

Earning My Ears
I would love to hear any feedback you have about ASM. We have never stayed at the values before, and am thinking about booking All Star Movies for a surprise trip for my DH, who is a total film buff. I am reading reviews online, and most seem quite negative. I'd love to get reviews from people who have stayed there recently, as I am thinking of booking the trip for the 2nd week of September. How does the resort compare to say, a moderate? What are the main differences? FYI - It will just be me and DH going, we don't have kiddies yet.

Thanks for any help and insight you can provide!!!:goodvibes

The All Stars are what they are - decent value accommodation on property. I would stay in any of them over staying off property. So that counts as a recommendation of them. You'll find them comfortable rooms at a good price.

They can be crowded and are IMO more kid orientated. Your only food option is the food court.

For a trip without the kids, see if you can swing a Moderate resort. Everyone has their favorite, mine is Port Orleans Riverside.
Here's the difference:
Better food court and a sit down restaurant
A real lounge - POR has a nice lounge with entertainment in th evenings
Better less crowded pools. POR has a great pool bar at the main pool. There are also smaller "quite" pools
More to do at the resort
POR has a boat at Downtown Disney

All Star movies is a great resort! Especially if you are looking for a reasonable get away. We stayed with a family of 4 our first trip at ASmov and it was great.

The rooms are a little tight, but completely doable. Especially if you only have 2 adults. The pool is large (the main, Fantasia pool) you will always find a lounge and room to swim. I liked the food court, many options and generally enough space to accomodate.

The bus service was great and it was easy to line up to where you wanted to go, they had signs posted and chains roping off the different bus lines, so there was no confusion.

All in all I think it is a great place to have a vacation. My inlaws LOVE it there and that is the only resort they will stay in.
Hope you are able to surprise your DH and have a great time on your trip! Disney is so much fun!!

I stayed at All Star Movies last August. I have stayed at all the Values and found Movies to be in the worst condition. From CM's to room cleanliness.
I will never stay there again. Pop or Music are my favorites.

We stayed in ASMovies last September and POR-AB 2 years ago. I definitely prefer POR for all of the reasons stated above - but mostly for the scenery and setting. There is something special about walking around POR-AB at night.

However, we also enjoyed ASMovies. If price is important, then ASMovies is a good choice. Our room was clean and the overall experience was good. It wasn't noisy and the important stuff is close - like the food court and bus pickup area. If it is your first trip, then stay in ASMovies and work up from there on your following trips.

If you like over-the-top immersion in the Disney theming, then Movies is your resort. I stayed there the first week of May in Bldg 1, which was newly refurbished.

This trip was a Disney commando trip for me, so it was a perfectly clean, pleasant place to soak my tired feet and lay down my head. Didn't use the pool, but saw in the resort info about various pool activities scheduled for the afternoons.

The food court felt big enough to hold the numbers of people there. I usually ate breakfast by 7:30am and it was starting to fill in by that time.

The buses all came and went without a long wait, just understand that Movies is the furthest back of the All Stars and as such gets picked up and dropped off last when arriving from one of the parks. Therefore, the chances of having to stand all the way back to the resort is likely, especially if you are going back right after the park closes for the evening. All other times, only had a 5-10 minute wait.

The difference between values and moderates? More amenities- a sit down restaurant, for example. Location is another difference, all stars are closest to Animal Kingdom, whereas the moderates are more centrally located. To me, the biggest difference is ambiance. Values are upbeat, energetic and very colorful while the moderate seem more laid-back and more subtle with their theming. My fave moderate is Port Orleans-French Quarter. The size is very manageable and I love the beignets at the food court.:thumbsup2

For me, I stay at a Value if I will be at the parks all day. I choose a moderate if I am considering more resort time. That said, since Disney transportation runs to all resorts, I love to go resort hopping to see all of the imagination and care put into each resort area. From the majestic lobbies of the Wilderness Lodge to the oversized yo-yo's at the Pop Century, all provide wonderful photo ops!

We really enjoyed Movies and would definitely stay there again, esp. now that the rooms have been completely redone. We stayed there about 3 September's ago and we had great bus service. We didn't always share a bus with the other All Stars. On the way back from Magic Kingdom we had our own bus stop. I should say - all the resorts have their own bus stop departing from Magic Kingdom. Also, by staying at an All Star resort - if your bus stop at MK has a loooong line you can hop on the All Star bus that has the shortest line and then just enjoy a leisurely walk to your All Star once you arrive at the All Star whose bus you took...they are close enough that it's not a big deal. I would rather walk than wait and wait at the bus stop.

I would ignore all the bad reviews you have seen because they apply to the pre-refurbished rooms. Movies is a great place for all the basic necessities.

For the values I prefer Pop. Maybe after all the Movies rooms are renovated, then I would go back to Movies. I have stayed at Pop three times and we just stayed in Movies two weeks ago. We were in building 4 (Dalmations), I requested Building 1 or 2 (I wanted a renovated room) but didn't get it. If I hadn't stayed at Pop first maybe I wouldn't have know what I was missing. I missed the flat screen tv and the privacy curtain. Also, the air never really cooled down the room right. I had to set it at 60 to get it cool.

Plus, while the Movies food court was good, I liked Pop's slightly better. I don't use the busses, so that isn't an issue for me. Still, Movies wasn't horrible or anything, I just prefer Pop. Plus, if you are going to use the busses, Pop does not share busses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter