All-Star Movies vs. Moderate for Kids

wdwfreak

Mouseketeer
We are planning a 9-night stay for this coming October. Our party includes 2 children, ages 3 and 6. Our original plan was to stay at either Coronado or Riverside, but during our stay at ASMusic last October, we walked over to Movies and it looked really cool for the kids, who love Toy Story, Dalmatians, and Fantasia. We don't think the kids will really care about Southwestern/Mexican architecture or Mississippi River theming, but they would love playing around the giant Buzz and Woody icons. The Movies just seems like a more fun theme for the kids and the pools are cool as well.

In the past, the only time we have stayed at AS is when money was an issue. Otherwise we stay in a moderate or WL. Money isn't the issue this time, the decision is based more on the enjoyment of the kids.

Anyway, I'm a little worried that we might regret not staying in a moderate, sacrificing better service, quiet, and less garish theming so that the kids will (hopefully) more appreciate their surroundings. I need a little validation here. Should we stay in a moderate or ASMovies? Any advice, suggestions, or experience is most greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

We felt the same way with our last trip infact I drove some of my friends crazy!! But we did decide to stay at ASMo for the kids and it was the best thing we could have done. It was a blast and I would definitely stay there again.

Same here. No problem paying for a Moderate but the kids love the ASMO theming. It really depicts Disney:)

My kids, 3 & 6(and me too) much prefer ASMO to the moderates. At POR, they were happy with the pool, and had no problem with the hotel, however at ASMO, they are excited beyond belief. The rink pool, with Goalie Goofy is perfect for hockey fans like us. The kids love playing in Andys room, and what great photo ops.
My kids much prefer the larger than life icons as opposed to a river and some nice landscaping. The price is just a bonus. :)

Same here with us! We've stayed at the deluxes, moderates and the Movies and my youngest DD LOVES the All Star Movies!! The giant icons are a favorite! Playing out by Andy's room, and also playing like she was on "TV" talking to the puppy by the 101 Dalmations building was so much fun for Allison. Every time we passed by the puppy she had to pet him and give him a hug! The pools looked like fun, but it was too cold when we were there to swim (early Dec).

The food court was pretty good. We've stayed in Love Bug and 101 Dalmations - and both were a very short walk to the bus stop/food court; and also the rooms were very quiet! Also, I found that the All Stars have some of the best bus transportation! We've only had to share the bus with the Music and Sports two or three times - almost every time it was direct service to the parks, and always direct service back from the parks!!

My little one and I are going back in October - and we will be definitely at the All Stars!

Thanks for the great input. This is just the information I was looking for and you helped me make a huge decision. :jester:

Okay- thought I had made up my mind until I read about a million other opinions and now I'm sssooo confused. More opinions please, keeping mind that the trip is geared towards small children. TIA

The first year we stayed at CSR our DD was 5 yrs old. We couldn't get her away from the Dig Site. The pool, slide, play area was incredible. Check out pics on my website below.

My son loves the All Stars. He prefers it. The theming is definitely geared towards children. I figure that when I stay at the All Stars, it leaves some spending money for him to buy something special. Really if you think about it how much time do you really spend in your room or looking at the scenery. Kids look at things differently than adults and the All Stars let kids see their favorite characters in "big sizes". I would definitely go with the All Stars if that is what your children would like.

Movies all the way. My best pictures are of my little kids beside the huge icons. My kids are a bit older now so we are trying some of the deluxe resorts and moderates but I am so glad we chose movies when we did.

Presidential Suite at the Grand Floridian

Give the kiddies a goal to set for later in life.

"Invest in Blue Chips and you can stay here whenever you want"

I jest. AsMo would be the best for kiddies.

Another vote here for the ASMo, the bonus is you save money and is money really NEVER an option??? Save some here and spend some more there. The kids love the giant icons and don'tt notice the smaller rooms until their older, take advantage of it while you can.

We surprised our grand the last trip with POR. The did like the pool, but we had to go visit the All Stars (they like the Sports..we visit the Movies, but Sports is their fav). As we started talking this year about the next trip with them, they have already asked if we could stay in the "good" hotels...which to them is AllStars. They've seen the pictures of Pop Century, and that's their first choice. The kids are 8 and 10..the 8 year old is in my sig.
POR was really lost on them. Green stagnant water (all pretend), and pretty flowers isn't what they came to Disney for.

I think the Allstar Movies Resort is just fine for younger kids like yours. I made the mistake of going with a son who was 8 and was familiar with the moderates and deluxes. He wasn't the least bit interested in the icons so there wasn't much to catch his interest at ASMO.

I understand your delima. The kids and I really love the All Stars and it really seems to fit our lifestyle. Besides like someone said money is always a consideration. LOL We have stayed at CSR and really love it so that would be an option for a moderate for us again.

This year I am planing on splitting our stay between the All Stars and AKL.

I really like the All-Stars when I only have to pay $49.00 per night using our annual pass-holder rate but honestly while the pool and food court areas are great the rooms are a little bit too stripped down for me. I prefer a little bit more elegance. I haven't stayed at Carribean Beach yet but am planning to in March. Does anyone at there have any info on comparing Carribean Beach to Port Orleans.

Also, we stayed at AKL during the off-season for 119 or 129 and found it to be definately worth the difference. The luxery is great, the BOMO restaurant is unbelievable....and the whole African experience is realistic. We loved it. I would highly recommend it.

Also would like to know more about the Beach Club Villas. How far is the walking distance to Storm-a-long Bay?

Thanks!

With the ages of your children I too think they will not appreciate the moderates and will truly love the all stars. The bus service is also the best on property IMHO.

And when codes are out the rates cannot be beat! Even when you can afford more, the kids won;t appreciate it!:rolleyes:

Save the money on the room, splurge on some character meals and have a great time!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter