• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All SSR so Far

eporter66

DIS Veteran & DVC Owner at SSR
I just made my 3rd reservation as a DVC member, and again find myself going to SSR.

My wife and I went down in 2004 for our first DVC visit - and since SSR was our home resort - we wanted to go their first. Loved it, and this was May 04 - so we had the place to ourselves, pretty sure that wont happen again!

My wife is going in January to run the half marathon, and so again we booked SSR (her request).

Now - this coming March I am going down with my best friend to celebrate our 40th bday's. We planned on doing some golfing, and going out at DTD, so again SSR made the most sense, we can have a few drinks, and just walk back to the resort!

I know people always make a point about location when choosing the resort you want as your home. Well - so far SSR has worked out fine. We also are planning a fall 2006 trip with our daughter (it will be her first time). So - we may finally try another resort (I would like to get closer to Epcot for the F&W Fest) - but regardless - we are looking forward to 3 trips to Disney this year. And since we rolled points over - we are going with the bigger room for our October trip (2 bedroom). Cant Wait!!!!

Eric

eporter66 said:
I just made my 3rd reservation as a DVC member, and again find myself going to SSR.

My wife and I went down in 2004 for our first DVC visit - and since SSR was our home resort - we wanted to go their first. Loved it, and this was May 04 - so we had the place to ourselves, pretty sure that wont happen again!

My wife is going in January to run the half marathon, and so again we booked SSR (her request).

Now - this coming March I am going down with my best friend to celebrate our 40th bday's. We planned on doing some golfing, and going out at DTD, so again SSR made the most sense, we can have a few drinks, and just walk back to the resort!

I know people always make a point about location when choosing the resort you want as your home. Well - so far SSR has worked out fine. We also are planning a fall 2006 trip with our daughter (it will be her first time). So - we may finally try another resort (I would like to get closer to Epcot for the F&W Fest) - but regardless - we are looking forward to 3 trips to Disney this year. And since we rolled points over - we are going with the bigger room for our October trip (2 bedroom). Cant Wait!!!!

Eric

I've got to say that I love to hear that people love SSR. We do not care for the resort. It is too much like a condo for us. We prefer the full service hotel like places like BCV,VWL & BWV. I suspect SSR will become an overflow proerty for the most part. It will be a second or third choice when all others are full. SSR will continue to be empty for a while to come IMO. Many reasons for this but mainly it's lack of ties to a theme park, upstate NY landscaping ( who goes to Florida to see upstate landscaping? Give me those Palm trees.), lack of poolside dining, no room service, spread out nature of the resort. DVC Resorts book up for a variety of reasons but special events are a big factor. Epcot Resorts are extremely hard to get during F&W fest. VWL is hard to get near Christmas. Monorail Resorts are hard to get during MNSSHP. I am just not sure anything makes SSR appealing during a specific season. I wish everyone loved it like you do. It would free up space elsewhere for us. Glad you've enjoyed your trips so much.

DAVE

I have seen a definite increase in the interest in SSR in the past few months so I don't think it will be an overflow resort for long. In fact it is the newest with the longest term of years and new members. I think most everyone remembers their first (home resort) with a special fondness. Of course, I have not yet stayed at any but would be happy to be placed at any of the DVC resorts.

We *love* SSR as well. It is our home and this was our first visit to SSR as members and I have a hard time thinking of wanting to book anywhere else. :goodvibes We've stayed (not DVC at the time) at the Boardwalk and I loved SSR 1000 times better. It's great that Disney has a lot of choices, so everyone can find the place they love the most. I certainly don't mind if SSR is "overflow" or not...means more room for us and less crowds on the bus. ;)

rjthkids said:
We *love* SSR as well. It is our home and this was our first visit to SSR as members and I have a hard time thinking of wanting to book anywhere else. :goodvibes We've stayed (not DVC at the time) at the Boardwalk and I loved SSR 1000 times better. It's great that Disney has a lot of choices, so everyone can find the place they love the most. I certainly don't mind if SSR is "overflow" or not...means more room for us and less crowds on the bus. ;)

Well said! I too had a great stay at SSR and will choose it in future...

How wonderful. I love to hear good reports. We bought into SSR and from the tour I think we will love it very much.

Glad you had a good stay.

Daitcher said:
I've got to say that I love to hear that people love SSR. We do not care for the resort. It is too much like a condo for us. We prefer the full service hotel like places like BCV,VWL & BWV. I suspect SSR will become an overflow proerty for the most part. It will be a second or third choice when all others are full. SSR will continue to be empty for a while to come IMO. Many reasons for this but mainly it's lack of ties to a theme park, upstate NY landscaping ( who goes to Florida to see upstate landscaping? Give me those Palm trees.), lack of poolside dining, no room service, spread out nature of the resort. DVC Resorts book up for a variety of reasons but special events are a big factor. Epcot Resorts are extremely hard to get during F&W fest. VWL is hard to get near Christmas. Monorail Resorts are hard to get during MNSSHP. I am just not sure anything makes SSR appealing during a specific season. I wish everyone loved it like you do. It would free up space elsewhere for us. Glad you've enjoyed your trips so much.

DAVE

"Overflow"? Sounds like a stopped up toilet! :rolleyes:

Yeah you're right, no draw to SSR at all....Keep moving folks, nothing to see here, nothing at all............. :)

SaratogaShan said:
"Overflow"? Sounds like a stopped up toilet! :rolleyes:

Yeah you're right, no draw to SSR at all....Keep moving folks, nothing to see here, nothing at all............. :)

LOL. Not to steal Royal Canadians's motto! :rotfl2:
Yeah, overflow, is a little strong.

With all due respect to Daitcher, IMHO "condo-style" DVC resorts will only gain in popularity as the years - decades - go by. Parking at your building and the lack of long hallways every day will start to outweigh room-service as the DVC population ages.

But yes, I agree: "SSR - nothing to see here. Make your BCV ressies now!"

I have stayed at them all now (except Vero or HH). In April I am going back to SSR and really looking forward to it. It is my family's favorite. I can't wait either! :cloud9:

I try not to burst other board member's bubble about the other resorts. So if they don't ask my opinion, I don''t say anything negative because they all have great qualities. :goodvibes My mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. I would never want anyone second guessing their decision.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay(s)and are happy with your purchase . I am happy too.

Have fun! :cheer2:

Hey Eric - thanks for sharing your positive views. I think most people here know that each resort has its own special pull. SSR seems to fit your needs very nicely! I happen to like SSR as well -it has the spa that i love - nice pool, beautiful rooms.

I wonder how much a person's love of a particular DVC resort is because that's where they first stayed? We stayed at OKW as cash customers on our first trip eons ago - and bought in and have never stayed anywhere else.

Eric, you'll LOVE the 2BR! We've stayed in both a lock off and a dedicated 2BR, and both were great. My parents were VERY impressed when we took them as our guests!

I think SSR appeals more to adults without kids, which is fine with us. We love the short walk to DTD too. We split our stay this October between SSR and BCV since we wanted to be close to Epcot for the F&W, but BCV (in our opinion) doesn't hold a candle to SSR.

:paw:

Daitcher said:
SSR will continue to be empty for a while to come IMO. Many reasons for this but mainly it's lack of ties to a theme park, upstate NY landscaping ( who goes to Florida to see upstate landscaping? Give me those Palm trees.),
DAVE

You really only want palm trees in Disney's FL? Then why bother with the concept of Disney Imagineering? Would you also like to see, for example, leafy green palm trees in the middle of Tomorrow land? Or how about in the midst of Lights, Motor, Action? :confused3

We just booked are airline tickets for Feb. it will be our 5th trip home.So just keep moving along so i can enjoy the quiet pool alone with DW.

DW and I just returned from 5 days at SSR, and we loved every minute of it--even during Hurricane Wilma (hey, I'm not a member of the mile-high club, but I'm now a member of the hurricane club!).

We didn't go to the parks at all on this trip. We just used the time to explore DTD and all the resorts we haven't seen on previous trips. We took a few bus rides and had no problem getting one whenever we wanted it (was a little worried about this because I had heard bad things on this board about the bus service at SSR). We loved exploring all the DVC resorts and loved the themes at all of them including the upstate NY theme of SSR. I didn't find SSR any more spread out than a lot of other resorts (OKW, Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs, for instance). I loved the sound of the waterfalls at the High Rock Springs Pool at SSR. We spent lots of time there reading and using the terrific slide.

I was disappointed in the fireworks at DTD (next time I won't bother asking for a DTD view, there are lots of neat water views at SSR) so we went to the Boardwalk to watch Illuminations. I also could see Wishes from the 4th floor external hallway at SSR. Bet you can't do that at the hotel resorts!

We ate several good meals (loved the food at Artist Palette, Bongo's and Raglan Road) but ate in our room a good bit (that food was good too). Next year we're going for the F&W festival. I hope we can get a villa at either BWV or BCV, but if not I'll be perfectly happy with SSR.

Enjoyed my first member update on Wednesday. If any of you have been to one and know Dave, the DVC guy who does them, last week was his last week at DVC and Disney. He's moving to Dallas, so they had a nice reception for him after the meeting.

Let me know if you have any questions.

we have many favorites, but SSR just fits our vacationing style better, so we always end up choosing it or splitting our stay between BCV and SSR.

We prefer to end our evenings at DTD (my boys love DTD) so no matter where we stay, we end up at DTD 90% of the time. Staying at SSR makes it easy for us as we usually walk to DTD.

We also love the Waterparks, so again SSR is in a great location for that. Since we have 2 Ds's under 10, we rarely visit the same park 2 days in a row so being close to a park we may only visit once or twice is less important to us. MK may be 1 day of our 2 week trip, Epcot 1 day and split a day between AK and MGM. TL and BB 3 days and DTD (DisneyQuest, Goofy's, Legoland) 10 days.

SSR is beautifully landscaped and I really enjoy the Victorian style and the fountains and gardens.

Also, my boys enjoy the sleeper sofa much better at SSR and have said so.

If you go to the CP quiet pool and walk to the sitting area along the lake at 9:00 you can also see the fireworks. Just turn one of the rocking chairs and enjoy. Not quite as good as a 4th floor view but still fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter