All in GF2 or Split between RIV and GF2?

I would just say, can you bump it up to 350 or 400? I would never attempt a studio with all the littles. One- and two-bedrooms are so fantastic for separate nap schedules, more room, laundry, and the full kitchen to do feedings and not having to trek outside the resort to grab food/drinks. So, having said that, the GF point chart, 300 points will *just* get you a one-bedroom for half the seasons, and it's definitely not enough for a week in a two-bedroom. I know it's thousands of dollars, but if there's any way you can do the extra points, the VGF promotion they're doing is stellar right now, and you'll never be able to buy in again at this direct price.

Trust the masses of DVC owners who say their biggest regrets are A) not buying in sooner and, B) not buying more points up front -- addonitis is expensive after the fact.

We bought 100 RIV (that was blue card requirement wayyyyy back in 2019, LOL,) and then added on another 200 points on our Welcome Home trip. We got those bonus year's points each time, so we got used to the double points, took more trips (we foolishly deluded ourselves that we would be fine in a studio once every other year. Ha! You buy APs, which means it's a waste to not go 2x a year, which means you get more excited to do more things that you missed on previous trips and book again, etc., etc.,) and I am KICKING myself I told my husband 200 was all we would need.

We went February vacation for the first time last year and LOVED getting out of the snow -- but school vacations are killer for points and now eat up all 300 of our points for the one-bedroom. I soooo wish we had 400 or even 500!
I am very tempted about adding more points. But my mom and dad are also buying into DVC. But they are getting 1,000 pts. They are in their early 60s and they 5 kids and have a total of 16 grandchildren. So I will for sure be vacationing with them and I will also have my own points to play with.

My parents just got back from their 4th Disney trip in under a year with grandkids and they have decided that with this many little kids and trips that will be taken for many years, DVC makes a ton of sense.

This seems very, very unlikely.

Currently there’s no competition at all for them.
Except you now have 1.8 million more points in the assocIation that can be used for them.

The question is how many new owners will it take to want them to see the demand rise? I bought to book those every other year.

Except you now have 1.8 million more points in the assocIation that can be used for them.

The question is how many new owners will it take to want them to see the demand rise? I bought to book those every other year.
The demand might rise. The demand might fall.

I just don’t like people speaking so definitively about something when they really don’t even have any evidence for it.

I think the concern about Deluxe Studio availability is a lot more grounded than concerns about the larger units. Especially if you book at 11 months, there are maybe 2 weeks a year at present where 1 or 2 bedrooms could even be considered a challenge at VGF.

Might that increase some? Sure. But it’s not like all of a sudden those room categories are going to be like Animal Kingdom Value rooms.

Tough call. 300 GF points gets the better value, so I would probably do all there. the other thing you might consider is 175 GF and 125 RIV

I just don’t like people speaking so definitively about something when they really don’t even have any evidence for it.

I think the concern about Deluxe Studio availability is a lot more grounded than concerns about the larger units. Especially if you book at 11 months, there are maybe 2 weeks a year at present where 1 or 2 bedrooms could even be considered a challenge at VGF.

Might that increase some? Sure. But it’s not like all of a sudden those room categories are going to be like Animal Kingdom Value rooms.

It’s true, we don’t know the impact, but there will definitely be a change in some way.…whether its good or bad is anyone’s guess.

But I think it is important for those buying in now with the expectation to get a larger unit based that what has happened in the past, need to be at least aware of the potential changes in availability.

I don’t think VGF owners will be shut out and it being a AKV value situation, but I think there could be more times in the year when 8 am 11 month booking may be needed vs, waiting a month or two to book.

Hi everyone,
This is my first post. I have been using these boards to research DVC for a couple of months and I am very excited to join this group.

I am going to buy 300 points tomorrow when GF2 becomes available for direct purchase. GF is definitely where I want my home base to be. But I have never had a chance to stay at RIV. I know that I would be 100% happy with the 300 points at GF, but I am starting to ask myself if it would be worth it to split the contract and go 1/2 at GF2 and 1/2 at RIV.

I like how I could get some bonus points if I bought at RIV, but the resale restrictions scare me for the long term.

What are some suggestions of some of the more experienced members in this group?

I would not be scared of the resale restrictions. If you are planning on owning fairly long term, there is no reason to believe the resale restrictions will have a meaningful significant impact on the ability to resell at prices comparable to the other resorts. In fact, resale of RIV may be better than resale of GFV, given the longer contract. (Thinking ahead to 2050, would you rather buy at 14 year contract that lets you stay at about 8 resorts (many will be off limits by then), or a 20-year contract with one resort).

That said --- It all depends how you would split the points and then how you would use them.
If you split them, for example, 200 at GFV and 100 at RIV... Would 200 be enough for the stays you want at GFV? Would 100 be enough for the stays you want at RIV? Would you be okay with split stays? If you split 150 at each, then used banking, etc, would you be okay with alternating resorts in alternate years?

Riviera and Grand Floridian are both fantastic resorts. Preferences between them are mostly subjective. (prefer Epcot/DHS/Skyliner or Magic Kingdom/monorail; prefer a large spread out resort or a more compact resort; prefer "Victorian elegance" or "casual elegance.").

So it's really just a question of how you would see yourself using the points.

It’s true, we don’t know the impact, but there will definitely be a change in some way.…whether its good or bad is anyone’s guess.

But I think it is important for those buying in now with the expectation to get a larger unit based that what has happened in the past, need to be at least aware of the potential changes in availability.

I don’t think VGF owners will be shut out and it being a AKV value situation, but I think there could be more times in the year when 8 am 11 month booking may be needed vs, waiting a month or two to book.

Lately, walking has become essential as most resorts for high-demand rooms during high-demand times. Good luck getting standard studios at most resorts during holidays without walking.

The big thing at GFV -- Typically, there is plenty of 1-bedroom availability with no need to walk a reservation or book 11 months out. The balance *might* shift at GFV, and 1 bedrooms may become very hard to book there. It all depends how much extra demand is generated by all the new buyers for those few 1 bedroom units.

I would recommend to buy a favorite week (formerly guaranteed week) and to get to 300, split that into 2 contracts. The discounts apply to those two.

One reason is that sometimes there is points inflation. Will cost a couple more points per day. The favorite week shields you from that.

I would recommend to buy a favorite week (formerly guaranteed week) and to get to 300, split that into 2 contracts. The discounts apply to those two.

One reason is that sometimes there is points inflation. Will cost a couple more points per day. The favorite week shields you from that.
On the previous fixed weeks chart this was possible. Now you'd be hard pressed for the Fixed Week to work in your favour. Disney have revised the chart so it only benefits the house (or..mouse). There's only so high the points charts can go based on the total number of points. FW for the fall (for example) are topping close to that ceiling.

On the previous fixed weeks chart this was possible. Now you'd be hard pressed for the Fixed Week to work in your favour. Disney have revised the chart so it only benefits the house (or..mouse). There's only so high the points charts can go based on the total number of points. FW for the fall (for example) are topping close to that ceiling.

Agree. They have adjusted fall stays now to balance demand so those changes are built in And when you add 10% to it for the premium it probably makes little sense unless you are buying to use it.

I agree. The point charts for VGF one bedrooms are also monumentally high, some of the priciest accommodations at WDW, and suddenly they’re going to get snapped up like hotcakes? I‘d be more worried if I wanted a studio in the original DVC building.

I agree. The point charts for VGF one bedrooms are also monumentally high, some of the priciest accommodations at WDW, and suddenly they’re going to get snapped up like hotcakes? I‘d be more worried if I wanted a studio in the original DVC building.

Except would it really take a ton of new owners to make a difference to the extent that there is difficulty?

Big range between impossible to hard to get to easy. With 1.8 million and an average of 200 point contracts, there will be 9000 new owners.

Some of those 9000 new owners will want the larger rooms, and with only 467, yeah, it’s very possible there is going to be some competition for them and I do think there will be times those rooms are gone sooner than they were before..in some cases, it may even impact current owners who will have to adjust booking patterns.

And those 1 bedrooms do get booked up, point heavy or not, so it is very possible there are more like me who bought so I don’t have to wait until 7 months anymore and hope to get one.

Please buy enough points wherever you go to get a 2 bedroom. 6 people in a studio is crazy tight. And a 1 bedroom will only be allowed for 2 more years with the ages of your kids.

Two studios at VGF are less than a 1BR and in the resort studios they mention adjoining options. I cannot fathom choosing RIV over VGF. Then again of all of the resorts my least favorite is Riviera so there is that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter