All DVC Member Cruise Complaints/Concerns Post Here

CarolAnnC

<font color=blue>Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syrin
All DVC Member Cruise Complaints and Concerns are welcomed on this designated thread. Keep in mind please, that all DIS Posting Guidelines still are to be adhered to.

This is being done as a convenience to those who would like to express their opinions and as an easily located thread. Thank you all for your cooperation in this regard!

Okay, I'll bite.

I know there are a lot of DVC members here that feel this "special" cruise is a rip-off because it costs more points than the regular 4-day. And DH and I questioned that increase as well. The only extra we've been told about is an extra day at Castaway Cay, so why more?

However in the end, DH and I decided that this extra cost is worth it to us. We're hoping that there will be bonuses that have not been announced. But even if there aren't, we are still very excited about spending 4 days with other DVC members. (Heck, we're just excited to take a trip after the hustle and bustle of the holidays.) It is a choice that we made based on the information we were given. We weighed the pros and cons, looked at our calendars, and took the plunge.

Everyone has their own reasons for using their points the way they want. This cruise is no different. With the ship selling out in just 2 days there are obviously many of us that feel this is a good use for them.

I've already read a good number of the gripes and complaints about this cruise. Everyone has a right to voice their opinions. But isn't this thread just a little late.

This thread is not "late". It was placed here by the DVC Moderators as a way to keep the complaint/concern threads that were popping up in various other threads on the board, in one place. The DIS has used this method on other boards when there were issues being discussed such as the discontinuance of Early Entry in the WDW parks. Since the topic was still a popular one, we decided to employ this method here. Please email us with any further questions you may have concerning DIS policy. Thank you!! :)

I will repost from a closed thread if anyone wants to comment.

On another thread, gary in florida posted that he was booked on the original DCL cruise (i.e. the cruise that became a member only "special"). He was bumped (in spite of being a DVC member) and was offered a 2 catagory upgrade (10 to 8) on another cruise.

Looks like we have a partial answer as to way the "special" cruise costs so much more $$$. As I suspected, DVC members most likely had to pay the costs of upgrading all the displaced cruisers who were already booked. Cat 10 to 8 is a nice upgrade.

Even if the original cruise was going to sail half full, I'm sure DCL insisted on rack rate for the member cruise cabins. After all, they're not going to lose any money on the deal !!! (not when they have DVCers on the hook). So DVC had to pass that extra cost on to the DVC members who chose to cruise.

Gary in Florida....I hope you (and i'm sure you will) enjoy your upgrade and cruise, even if it's not your chosen date. :smooth:

Ok, I'll bite also
Im going on the cruise. They are my points and if I choose to spend them all for the cruise, then thats my choice.
I spent 263 points to trade out to a 2 bedroom in Gatlinburg.
Was that the wisest use of my points. Maybe not to some people, but again its my decision.
If you chose not to go, thats good for you guys also.
I would never fault a member for the use of their points.
While the points maybe higher, they also elimanted the $75 transfer fee.
Im cruising and Im escatic!!
Debbie

Very well said RRBB, and Carol, I'm gald you started this thread. As a family going on this cruise, I'm sick of seeing all the negative posts that don't apply to the topic at hand. I personally don't like using the high points for the weekends, I don't refer to people that are using weekend points as suckers etc. As previously stated, we can use the pts as we see fit. We are looking forward to this first cruise and looking forward to meeting the other DVCers and people from the Dis boards.

Johnny Fedora....How many times do you think you will have to post your message re; upgrades before you get an answer??? ;) :rolleyes:

Am I dreaming or do I recall a survey from DVC sometime this year about this very thing, and I think one of the questions was are you willing to pay more for member only events that are exclusive to DVC members. I believe that I answered yes as I am sure many other members must have. And by the way this cruise filled up so quickly, I believe the members have spoken. Personally, we are not going on this cruise, but If we had enough points in our account we would have booked without a second thought. However, too many wonderful concierge collection locations this past year left us strapped. So when we had to consider the cruise at the cash price, we did decided to opt out. Not because we felt like we were being ripped off or anything, but because we could get more for our money doing something else at another time. Our cash flow for vacations only goes so far so we have to consider the rest of the year before we blow it all on one trip. Are we disappointed, you bet, were we hoping for a killer deal, you bet, are we upset at DVC because they didn't give us a deep discount, absolutely not. We understand the business of it all, they have to keep their heads above water and so does DCL. I am so jealous of everyone that gets the chance to go and If another survey comes around and asks me if I will pay more for member events I will say yes again, and maybe next time I'll have enough points in my account to splurge!

Because if this incident, my expectations are very low of anything that DVC will ever offer! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

How is that for a non-negative post!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

As many already know, I was on the 10th Anniversary DVC Member Cruise in April and highly recommended this upcoming cruise to others. I think it will be a fantastic cruise and only wish dh and I could make it this time. Members should not be criticized on how they spend their vacation points. They have paid for these points and should spend them in a manner that will bring them the most pleasure. The Member cruise sold out in 2 days and I think this is proof enough that there was a demand for a members only event. To be continually critical at this point in time serves no purpose. It's like beating a dead horse.

When I first read about the DVC cruise which was RIGHT ON THESE BOARDS (WHERE ELSE) I wanted to call right away and go..I then thought that maybe all of the family would want to go and bought up the subject at a family dinner which went over like a lead ballon..complete silence..then my son said "MOM we are going on the Magic 12/5 thats just 2 months away" my daughter-in-law who is a girl after my own heart said " so what, it will be fun but we do have to consider taking jesse (my 7 year old grandson) out of school which he will be out for 2 weeks in nov & dec when we go to DW & on the 7 day western..so I thought & I thought and said to my husband who by the way said if you want to go we will, I guess they are right(BIG SAD FACE) MAYBE NEXT YEAR..I hope all of you have the greatest time and don't listen to anyone tell you what to do JUST DO WHAT YOU WANT..( I WISH I HAD) and for all you people that are saying why are you going..KEEP IT TO YOURSELVES..This is why we bought DVC to have fun and vacations that maybe we would not normally have taken...I hope that if this happens again we can join you all & get to meet some great DVC'S &Diser's..HAVE A BLAST..Marianne :earsgirl: :wave:

I'll bite too! ;)...I think non-negative is such a subjective thing...
Many that are so-called "positive" postings are dripping with sarcasm and self-rightousness...IMHO!...Looking-glass self I say--what they are seeing in others they are so guilty of themselves.

Just curious-- why are there "positive" postings on a "negative" thread?! LOL... JUST a JOKE!

IMHO, I felt in my postings about this DVC cruise...that...I was expressing my "concern" or opinion...NOT being negative. I really enjoy Disney cruises and will continue to take them when our family is able to do so!
PLEASE--for those of you that spent the cash/points for the DVC cruise--don't be so sensitive! I hope that you all ENJOY the cruise. It's OK if we don't agree about how we use our points. I don't care how others spend their points--but--I would like to think I could express my point-of-view that it is over priced for DVC members (cash and points)! Honestly, I don't feel comfortable doing so.
Also, I agree with other non-positive posters concerning the impact on future discounting. I don't think it does DVC members, AS A GROUP--(NOT singling any one member out) any good to sell this cruise out so quickly. WE, as a group, are making it more difficult to see better discounts that I personally would LIKE to see. Just my opinion!
WHY should opinions that don't agree with the Cruise participants be viewed as "negative"? Can't we bounce our thoughts around here, or, do we all have to agree?
"Beating a Dead Horse".....hummmm....
where have I seen that one before? :p ;) :p ;) :p ;) :p ;) :p ;) :p ;)

I don't recall telling anyone how they should spend their points. I know I have said that before on a past thread.

Brittsmum...if you noticed, the original thread was closed immediately after I posted it, before anyone had a chance to respond. Then this thread was started. Therefore, I decided to repost it here where "negative" comments are somewhat acceptable, albeit isolated. I'm searching for an explanation for the point/cash increase, and my post offers an example and some opinion on that subject. I don't think that is negative. Other posters have questioned what happened to people who were already booked on the regular value season cruise. I used the example posted (about gary in FL) and speculated on how these upgrades were paid for (by DVCers). It is obviously my opinion.

In most of my posts on this topic, I try to point out a growing trend with DVC exchanges (mostly DC and DCL). Points have skyrocketed for these options and I think it is characteristic of a sad :( trend of soaking DVCers at every opportunity. In the past, when has DVC offered it's members a cruise special that cost MORE than the sailing season?? Why would we have expected anything different?? IMHO an exclusive DVCmember only cruise doesn't justify the increase seen. And of course, DVC doesn't comment on it to it's members or issues a canned comment to you about special itinerary blah..blah..blah.

I think it's really more of an issue on how the Disney bigwigs view DVCers as a group. IMHO, they view us as a cash cow group of lemings. I think it is a valid opinion, as valid as any other opinion expressed here. No one has to agree with me. I encourage all DVCers to review all aspects of their membership as DVC is marketed and sold (at least currently) as a package DVC resorts, DCL, DC, Concierge, etc. All members should be concerned with the overall program value, even if they don't utilize each and every program aspect.
:) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :)
I LOVE my DVC resorts (HH, VWL and BCV)
:) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :cool: :) :) :cool: :)

But I don't LOVE the way Disney Corp. views DVCers:(

Brittsmum...if you noticed, the original thread was closed immediately after I posted it, before anyone had a chance to respond. Then this thread was started

In order to make sure the correct information is being given out here, I would like to point out Johnnie that you posted at 10:49 pm, there were 3 replies, two of them from me, and I closed it at 12:19 am.

If I was not clear in the opening post of this thread, let me explain once again. Your thread was closed, as was another one, in order to condense the topic into this stuck thread on the top of this board.

Once again, the topic here is to discuss issues with the Member Cruise. If you have issues with DIS Posting Guidelines, address them in email to the Moderators, or they will be edited and/or deleted from this thread. Thank you.

I believe that all of my comments have been as valid as any that I have noted on most other threads in the past. However, so-called "negative" comments are being dumped into one complaint file. Why not have all "positive" comments dumped into one compliment folder? I do not understand why everyone does not have the right to speak out on how they feel and post their comments where they want, whether that's adding onto an existing thread or starting a new one. What's the big deal?

I'm glad that many people are so trusting and confident with the member "deals." However, I have the right to doubt and question how good a deal really is. Perhaps this is simply not the right forum for our family.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

My only complaint is that if this is a members cruise why couldn't I book a two bedroom with points? I thought this would have been the time to allow the members to use the points in the one and two bedroom. I got my regular Cat. 5 room on deck 7 and I am happy. But I would have loved to try the two bedroom even though I am not crazy about staying on deck 8.
Lauretta :rolleyes:

Originally posted by McMouse Family
I believe that all of my comments have been as valid as any that I have noted on most other threads in the past. However, so-called "negative" comments are being dumped into one complaint file. Why not have all "positive" comments dumped into one compliment folder? I do not understand why everyone does not have the right to speak out on how they feel and post their comments where they want, whether that's adding onto an existing thread or starting a new one. What's the big deal?

I'm glad that many people are so trusting and confident with the member "deals." However, I have the right to doubt and question how good a deal really is. Perhaps this is simply not the right forum for our family.

These are my sentiments exactly. Really makes me wonder about this DVC board.

I think it's really more of an issue on how the Disney bigwigs view DVCers as a group. IMHO, they view us as a cash cow group of lemings. I think it is a valid opinion, as valid as any other opinion expressed here. No one has to agree with me. I encourage all DVCers to review all aspects of their membership as DVC is marketed and sold (at least currently) as a package DVC resorts, DCL, DC, Concierge, etc. All members should be concerned with the overall program value, even if they don't utilize each and every program aspect.

Could not agree with you more. I am very happy people are going on this cruise and having fun! Been on the cruise with points myself and family-FUN!
NOW, here is the rub. A cat 6 eastern carr. 7 day cruise in 2002 is 211 pts for 1 adult. NOW, in 2003 same as above, a cat 6 is 237 pts. A 26 point increase!! AT THIS RATE, a cat 6 7 night cruise in 3 years will be 315 points!!!!! For 2 adults, this cruise will cost 630 points, and not counting my kids to go. So, I see what you are saying, the cost is going up and up and WAY UP! But, on the member web site, etc, what do you see the first page? The disney cruise line boats of course!! I just want to see the same DVC people that are happy now see them this happy when they have to shell out 315pts/ adult. I IMHO think it is too much and DVC is "sticking" it to the members. I know, I know, it is "gravy", that DVC is only for the resorts, points are best used there, but my main concern is how that taut the DVC cruise on every other page it seems like on their slick brochures, but in 3-5 years no one can afford it...... just my .02 cents..
By the way, 5 years from now the cat 6 will be 367 pts / adult.
food for thought......
deerh

Yes, it has a degree of sarcasm in it, LOL...and...no more self-righteous than the "majority"...

I've deleted most of my post. What's the point in getting into a position where, possibly, a moderator(s) may be troubled/concerned about my postings, etc? I like to read the DIS boards and post occasionally, but, don't need the grief/worry about posting my honest opinion here, or how I post it, etc. I realize this isn't a democracy, this is a sponsored board.

(Glasses momentarily off) My DH (Johnnie Fedora) and I will continue to review and discuss all aspects of DVC--both the resorts and "special" programs offered outside of the DVC resorts. When we see something that, in our opinion, is a RIP-OFF, we will avoid it.
(Glasses back on) Everyone enjoy your DVC as you see fit!!:p :cool: :p :cool: :p :cool: :p :cool: :p :cool: :p :cool:

It was mentioned that I got a "2" cat upgrade, from cat 10 to cat 8 - when you really do some thinking it's not much of an upgrade.
We had a cat 10 secret porthole cabin - on deck 5 - cabin 5024. Cat 9 cabins are on deck 1 or 2, and if I remember right have they have 2 small portholes. Cat 10 has the same amount of room as a cat 8, 214 sq ft. The cabin we now have is is 5018, and the differences are - there is no obstruction - and it's 3 cabins from where we were orginally. We are going the next week, 2/9 - so again, I don't think it's much (if any) of an upgrade. I've heard they give these upgrades out if the ship is not full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter