• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All Clubs Closing in Downtown Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted it may not help but one can only say try. Instead of complaining here write a letter to WDW. At least you will be heard (and maybe then tossed in the trash)

Executive Offices
Walt Disney World Resort
Post Office Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

On the whole, I'm not that depressed about PI clubs closing- a lot were lame and nothing I couldn't find here in Dallas, EXCEPT of course AC. Here's the letter I wrote to customer service:
To whom this may concern:
I am writing because of the release stating Pleasure Island will close. I just wanted to express how disappointed I am with this decision.
I have been to Disney World well over 100 times in my life, and ever since I've been over 18, have gone to PI every trip.
While hearing that all of PI is disappointing, I am devasated that Adventurer's Club will be closing. That is quite possibly my favorite place in the world, not just Disney World. So I beg that it stays open in some form- I think it would fit in well with the theme of the Boardwalk- why not add it to Jellyrolls and Atlantic Dance Hall and make that the Disney-owned night spot. I can live without dance clubs- there are plenty of those at home. But Adventurer's Club is something that is so unique and embodies everything that I think is wonderful and special about Disney World- it can't be found anywhere else and its loss to me is as major as if someone said Cinderella's Castle was being demolished.
Please please please let me opinion not be discarded as just another "save PI" rant. I really think there is something special enough, and as I'm sure is just as important to Disney, marketable enough in Adventurer's Club to keep it open in some incarnation. Please look into my suggestion. WDW needs more attractions like AC, not none at all.
Thank you for your time.

Here's hoping!:scared:

I am so sad that they will be closing PI, we always enjoyed going to AC and to the Comedy Club or just hanging out on the "street". They will be fondly remembered.

Kungaloosh

I agree with many of the observations about how this affects vacation plans. We started coming to PI in December, 1989. We didn't know much about it, but with out 1.5 year old, we thoroughly enjoyed Comedy Warehouse to use the extra. Starting 3-4 years ago, we resumed coming to PI on PAP, as DVC members. Our teens thoroughly enjoyed CW, but, as befits students of a high school with a Monty Python club, they really liked the AC.

At this stage, the comedy clubs are a significant (probably the most significant) attraction for our young adults. Without them, we don't really need a PAP. (I agree, Disneyquest is truly a concept whose time has passed - for the same reasons Innoventions struggles - Disney can't keep up with the technology in these settings that is readily available to even unsophisticated users).

I will be calling the Annual Passholder program on Monday and ask about a refund for the "premium" portion (since I just renewed 6/17).

The ONLY thing they could put into the PI-space that would be attractive to me (and the family) is a Tu Tu Tango - and that wouldn't have a cover charge....

Just a couple of pictures from our last visit, 6/18:

p346379032-3.jpg

p248883303-3.jpg

I'm..... really, really disappointed. This has me so disheartened my excitement for my own trip has gone down several notches.
Everyone I talk to who has gone to WDW has recommended Pleasure Island. I wanted it to be a feature of our trip and I know DBF and I would have had a great time, although we do not drink.

I don't know what else to say. I think this is a bad move. It's way too sudden of a change, I think, to shut down several clubs at once. Not to mention, I believe it was a huge draw for adults, being geared just for them. There's nothing else like that there.

I'm fairly annoyed that they'd take out a huge chunk of entertainment space so soon like that.

Oh and for pxefig:
You wrote a very nice letter, kudos to you!!! I would, however, take out several of the "pleases" and the "do not disregard this"... as I don't believe they sound very eloquent nor would it impress me if I were the one reading it. I'm not so sure if abbreviations should be used either, but I suppose that's up to your own discretion.

I have no problem with the decision as my "club" days are behind me. If I want a drink, there are plenty of places on site I can get that. I would like to see a few more restaurants and stores at DTD. What makes me nervous is that Disney will lease the space to the Cheesecake Factories of the world. Don't get me wrong, I like The Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, etc., but I can visit them anywhere in America. I want unique stores and restaurants created and run by Disney.

With that said, I hate to see AC go as it is a Disney original and the exact type of creation that separates Disney from everyone else.

I would be great if Disney transformed AC into a restaurant instead of putting the wrecking ball to it.

That's a thought...wouldn't be the same experience, but better than losing it altogether. And it could be a fun restaurant, I'd definitely want to try it.

If they can bring FIGMENT back why can't someone start an action to bring the ADVENTURES' CLUB back or keep it going!

If they think it would be profitable to keep it open or move it to another area (like Boardwalk), then they might consider that idea...

A few months ago heard the rumor about this but sounded like Adventures and Comedy Clubs would remain, sorry to see them go. I'd love to see them figure out a way to move them over to the Boardwalk resort area.

Yep, seems like it could fit in beautifully with Jellyroll's/ESPN/Flying Fish as a more grown up night-life area.

I also had heard that everything but the Adventurers' Club and Comedy Club would close. I'm really upset that they are closing the Adventurers' Club! There's nothing like it anywhere else.

My understanding is that PI is being closed because it just doesn't fit into the "family friendly" theme of Disney. I agree with that, but there is no reason that the Adventurers' Club and Comedy Club can't have only family-friendly jokes.

Yes, AC is totally unique. I am a little confused by the "family friendly" concept. As for DTD in general, what is "family friendly" about bars and a cigar store? :confused: And they already serve alcohol at all of the parks except MK.

Shopping!! Shopping!! OMG. Does Disney really think anyone flying into Orlando will be shopping while on vacation in WDW? With the new luggage rules, how do you get it home?

Maybe we need to arrive with just one suitcase -- empty. So we can fill it up with Hanes undies and Mickey Head rice krispy treats to take home!

Here's the letter I wrote to customer service:
To whom this may concern:
I am writing because of the release stating Pleasure Island will close. I just wanted to express how disappointed I am with this decision.
I have been to Disney World well over 100 times in my life, and ever since I've been over 18, have gone to PI every trip.
While hearing that all of PI is disappointing, I am devasated that Adventurer's Club will be closing. That is quite possibly my favorite place in the world, not just Disney World. So I beg that it stays open in some form- I think it would fit in well with the theme of the Boardwalk- why not add it to Jellyrolls and Atlantic Dance Hall and make that the Disney-owned night spot. I can live without dance clubs- there are plenty of those at home. But Adventurer's Club is something that is so unique and embodies everything that I think is wonderful and special about Disney World- it can't be found anywhere else and its loss to me is as major as if someone said Cinderella's Castle was being demolished.
Please please please let me opinion not be discarded as just another "save PI" rant. I really think there is something special enough, and as I'm sure is just as important to Disney, marketable enough in Adventurer's Club to keep it open in some incarnation. Please look into my suggestion. WDW needs more attractions like AC, not none at all.
Thank you for your time.

Here's hoping!:scared:

Very well said -- maybe we can win over Disney corporate with our eloquence? :goodvibes

i'm just going to repeat what others have said. we are soooo disappointed about the closing of AC. we went twice on our last trip and loved it. we are planning a short 6night trip in oct and were planning 2 nights at the AC. it was our favorite thing from our trip. creativity and laughter-- disney needs more things like the AC not less. i signed the petition without much hope. :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

upset in ny
kate

I was so bummed when "Frankie and the West End Boys" quit playing on the stage. P.I. was a blast then. I can remember when you couldn't even walk through there because it was so crowded. I will miss the "Adventurers Club" and the "Comedy Warehouse" very much. I think they were the favorite parts of my trips. Without those I will probably just stay on the west coast and go to Disneyland. Next thing you know they will take "Jellyrolls".
:drinking1 KUNGALOOSH!!!

DH and I LOVE the Adventurers Club and the Comedy Warehouse.
I am so bummed that they are closing. I can see closing the other clubs but still keeping those two open.
Couldn't they do something like a comedy dinner show and keep the adventurers club as a fun bar in the midst of all the shopping?

in September. On our arrival day, I was planning to go to Raglan Road for dinner, then hitting AC. Then my TA called and told me that the only night she could get CG ressies was the 11th (arrival day). I was going to keep that ressie, but when I heard about PI closing, I decided that we would hit Raglan Road and the clubs that night instead. I know that CG is an awsome restaurant, but I'm guessing it'll still be there next spring when we go again.

Karen

I spoke to my neighbor-her daughter attends UCF and works at Disney part time :wizard: she told us over the weekend the reason Disney is closing the clubs is because of the violence and rash of robberies and crime. In the past year they have had a 45% rise in crime in the this area.:scared1: It is costing Disney alot of money to patrol this area at night with Orlando police dept. Orlando has a high crime rate and the gangs are attacking innocent vacation goers-Universal is having the same problem-Disney gets more complaints from its guests regarding thugs in the downtown disney area than any other type of complaint/report. :sad2:
They are trying to make it more family friendly and daytime friendly-keeping with the true Disney theme. They are going to have a new ticket system of some kind-they are being very "hush hush" about it-like needing to present you resort ID or driver's license at the entrance for non-property guests after like 5pm-to keep the large number of unwelcomed thugs out at night.:confused:
They are adding a few new restaurants and maybe another show similar like a festival of the lion king-but longer. She doesnt really know details-but when i get them I'll post it for everyone.popcorn::
Again-this was from a CM who works there part time-and they give the employees very little details about the project. Hope this helps. We are glad we'll be able to get in one last hooray in early september...:flower3:

Well, I have to admit that I was really looking forward to attending PI this September during my first trip, but now I will definitely make an attempt to go as much as possible during the week. We will be going the last week PI is open, so I am really glad they aren't closing until that Saturday night. I'd be crushed if I couldn't attend AC at least once. I've been so looking forward to that one in particular!

I have to admit that I am shocked at AC's closing, regardless of it being included in NK. That is still years away and this club seems to have been such a wonderful memory for many. I hope to know that I can catalog it away as a wonderful memory as well when I go in September.

I spoke to my neighbor-her daughter attends UCF and works at Disney part time :wizard: she told us over the weekend the reason Disney is closing the clubs is because of the violence and rash of robberies and crime. In the past year they have had a 45% rise in crime in the this area.:scared1: It is costing Disney alot of money to patrol this area at night with Orlando police dept. Orlando has a high crime rate and the gangs are attacking innocent vacation goers-Universal is having the same problem-Disney gets more complaints from its guests regarding thugs in the downtown disney area than any other type of complaint/report. :sad2:
They are trying to make it more family friendly and daytime friendly-keeping with the true Disney theme. They are going to have a new ticket system of some kind-they are being very "hush hush" about it-like needing to present you resort ID or driver's license at the entrance for non-property guests after like 5pm-to keep the large number of unwelcomed thugs out at night.:confused:
They are adding a few new restaurants and maybe another show similar like a festival of the lion king-but longer. She doesnt really know details-but when i get them I'll post it for everyone.popcorn::
Again-this was from a CM who works there part time-and they give the employees very little details about the project. Hope this helps. We are glad we'll be able to get in one last hooray in early september...:flower3:

You know if crime is the reason, then they could have just restricted admittance like before. Pushing people off site into Orlando isnt going to make the vacation goer any safer. Heck, if that is really the case then the Boardwalk will be the next target for roaming gangs of thugs (of which I think stories are highly exaggerated anyway) I think thats a cop out answer IMO. They want to rent the space and not have to deal with it and thats their justification.

This is interesting. I have noticed that crime is going up in that area. In the past several months, I keep hearing about people getting robbed and hurt in DTD so I can understand why disney would need to make some changes, but I am surprised that it isn't just a few clubs and that it is all of them.

The new show sounds like it would be a good idea. Hopefully, they will do something like this. I wonder what it will be about.

The most interesting thing is if they ask about resort ID's when you enter. I don't think they will do this since they will actually loose money like this. If locals and day guests can't enter, then they will loose quite a bit of business. Not letting locals or day guests in-that wouldn't make sense. Now, regarding the drivers licenses, I don't see the purpose. How would flashing your license at a CM to enter stop crime?

I can't wait to see how this turns out.

The last time we were @ PI there was nothing in the shops that appealed to us. If they're going the shopping route, I hope they improve upon what they already have. A t-shirt shop isn't an improvement, IMO. It would be great, if they would consider keeping CW & AC, & replacing the others. They can replace the existing shops, while they're at it. ;)

I am just disgusted over this! PI was our playground! I wondered if something wasn't brewing when the bridges were removed, the West End stage and fireworks were gone and the Beach Club closed with no replacement in site. We've always hit PI every trip and it's a great place for adults to hang out. My BFF and I are going in August so at least she will be able to see PI for the first and last time. This is just heartbreaking. Guess we'll be cabbing it over to CityWalk once or twice a trip! We recently bought DVC at SSR so it's an even bigger bummer!
I can honestly say on our last trip, BET was rowdy, but the other clubs were fine. We did see several Orlando officers there, but not anywhere else. Boy do I hate to see PI go! Just what DTD needs....more shopping and restaurants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter