All about the Autotrain

We are a family of 6. When the kids where small we would all fit in one table. As my boys got older- 2 would sit across from us. It was neat to see them interact and converse with other passengers.

We are a family of 6. When the kids where small we would all fit in one table. As my boys got older- 2 would sit across from us. It was neat to see them interact and converse with other passengers.

My kids are 12, 10 and soon to be 8. They sat on the Essex steam train 3 across and were miserable. But that is what you get when you are in Disney when the North Pole express tickets come out and you normally sit first class....

What would they do with a party of 5? Would it be 4 & 1 or should I leave my 3 kids to sit with a stranger while my dh & I share a quiet meal!! Haha... Or would we split up 3/2. I really wish it was APRIL...brrr....

I don't remember your kids ages but kids on one side and you and DH on the other sounds good to me! There aren't that many single passengers so chances are the kids might get their own table.

I wouldn't do 5 at a table personally. I like my personal space when eating.

When you go up to the lounge car for a snack, you could go over to the dining car and check out the booths to see if you all fit.

We are traveling on the Autotrain over the summer.

Not sure how our youngest will be in the dining car. Can you have your meal in your sleeping compartment?

We are traveling on the Autotrain over the summer. Not sure how our youngest will be in the dining car. Can you have your meal in your sleeping compartment?

Yes, you can have your meal in your room but I don't recommend. The dining car offers a good distraction, more things to see (esp in summer since it gets dark late). The windows are larger, too for better viewing. Dining takes less than one hour, so I suggest you give it a try.

Depending on the age of your youngest, they may also find a friend at the table close by to chat with a bit.

You may also be allowed to eat your food in the lounge car ... I'm not positive on this....but I guess you could ask your room steward if they would bring your food to the lounge instead of your room.

Yes, you can have your meal in your room but I don't recommend. The dining car offers a good distraction, more things to see (esp in summer since it gets dark late). The windows are larger, too for better viewing. Dining takes less than one hour, so I suggest you give it a try. Depending on the age of your youngest, they may also find a friend at the table close by to chat with a bit. You may also be allowed to eat your food in the lounge car ... I'm not positive on this....but I guess you could ask your room steward if they would bring your food to the lounge instead of your room.

Thanks for the info. He will be just over 2 when we travel, and he loves to touch everything. I know they have linens and china on the tables and no high chairs. It will be a game time decision. I am sure I am not the first with this situation to be on the train.

Looking forward to the adventure.

our 3 kids, 12-16, prefer to squeeze in on one side of the table and DH and I on the other.

our 3 kids, 12-16, prefer to squeeze in on one side of the table and DH and I on the other.

I am wondering if mine will but if not I am ok with leaving my dh with them and going to sit with others!! I don't think he would be ok with that!

Worse comes to worse, we will split. They are 12, 10 & 7 but the 7 yo will be 8 in march and the 12 yo will almost be 13. We are going in April.

So is anyone else going in April? We are leaving April 11 and coming returning on Easter. I figured I'd rather leave my sisters house early (ft Myers) on Easter morning then have my kids wake up on Easter on the train.

I am excited for 2015 because we will actually get to spend Easter in fl, the whole day! Our school vacation starts on Good Friday, actually they have a half day that Thursday. I can only hope my Easter involves spending the day at the beach!

Anyone know how the wifi is going on the train? We'll be on it again in September and my hubby was just wondering if they worked it out yet. I know they have it at the station but there was talk that they were trying to get it on the train.

Anyone know how the wifi is going on the train? We'll be on it again in September and my hubby was just wondering if they worked it out yet. I know they have it at the station but there was talk that they were trying to get it on the train.

It is supposed to be in the lounge cars. We didn't try it though so don't know how well it worked.

Had a co-worker who made a trip a couple of weeks ago - limited to the lounge cars - but also limited to 10 users at a time.

We have a Verizon jetpack. Does anyone know if cell reception has improved enough to use it more than in the past? Last year our cell phone was only good from Sanford to Jacksonville and in parts of Virginia.

Do I need money for snacks or any food items? I know our dinner is free and continental breakfast is also included, but I wasn't sure if there are any complimentary snacks or someplace to purchase them.

Thanks! :goodvibes

Do I need money for snacks or any food items? I know our dinner is free and continental breakfast is also included, but I wasn't sure if there are any complimentary snacks or someplace to purchase them. Thanks! :goodvibes

If in a sleeper car, there is a complimentary wine & cheese reception. It includes fresh veggies, cheeses, crackers, fruits, wine and a snack mix. It is all free, although you should tip the steward pouring the wine.

You can also purchase some basic snacks, hot dogs, soda, beer and other alcohol.

When I was on the auto train in September they put crackers and cheese out in the lounge after the wine tasting. There were cookies out later in the evening, too.

But I would not depend upon free snacks. You can bring some with you or they have a very limited selection available for purchase at high price.

In the morning they had fruit out, too.

We usually travel coach on the Autotrain and whenever we have traveled the cheese and crackers have been for the "sleeper" people. In coach we just got a snackmix when we boarded.

We did get cookies in the evening and at one point they did put out bananas and oranges.

We generally bring our own snacks and a few bottles of water on board. The water on board - even to brush your teeth is pretty bad. You also get unlimited free coffee and tea in coach.

Linda

We usually travel coach on the Autotrain and whenever we have traveled the cheese and crackers have been for the "sleeper" people. In coach we just got a snackmix when we boarded.

We did get cookies in the evening and at one point they did put out bananas and oranges.

We generally bring our own snacks and a few bottles of water on board. The water on board - even to brush your teeth is pretty bad. You also get unlimited free coffee and tea in coach.

Linda

Just curious, do you not get bottles of water in coach?

In sleepers they have bottles of water in your room.

No free bottles of water for those sitting in Coach. I believe you can buy some in the Lounge car but we just bring a few bottles.

Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter