All about the Autotrain

We just returned from our trip to FL. This was our 2nd trip using the autotrain. On the way to FL, we had 2 roomettes. We loved them! Cool, water bottles, beds were comfy and we had plenty of room. Dinner was wonderful! The attendant was great and we really enjoy the trip to FL. :cool1: We took coach for the trip back and I think I was spoiled from being in the roomette! :headache: We requested lower because we knew there were only 12 seats in the lower car section. Hoping that we would be able to spread out a bit and get comfy. The train was very full and our car had a family with a 2-3 year old. When we checked in the only dinner seating was 9pm! We felt it was very hot and stuffy in our compartment too! My son ended up sleeping on the floor, and my husband went to the lounge to try to sleep. We watched the 7:15pm movie and played cards in the lounge. Then went to dinner at 8:45ish. They would not take us until exactly 9PM. Everyone was hungry and tired! We did have a nice meal and then tried to get comfy, but no one slept much. I think the roomettes are the way to go. Just my opinion! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the advice - I will pick up some Bonine before my trip in August.

I haven't tried bonine but dramamine makes me sicker than the motion sickness. You might want to try some before your trip to make sure it doesn't have any adverse affects.

They combined 2 categories, the regular auto & SUVs. My SUV was 6 inches shorter than my car, but 3 inches higher than their maximum height, so I had to pay more when we took the SUV. They got new carriers that can handle the higher SUVs, they don't have to charge the extra to get them on so they averaged the old prices and came up with a new price that includes both. A lot of people like to take SUVs for the extra room for passengers and luggage.

Dumb question but with these new car carriers they can handle higher cars?

If so, do you think it can handle a van with a hard top carrier?

We are planning on not taking it since we will have room in the van but last year we drove all the way to Ft. Myers & back & my mom was with us. So it was dh, me & our 3 kids & my mom in the van. We had the hard carrier on the top which only held our beach chair (we just brought one since my sister has a lot), umbrellas, beach toys & beach cart.

We didn't have a lot of luggage-1 suitcase & my kids snuck in a whole garbage bag full of stuffed animals which stayed in the bag the entire time I was at my sisters. I was a little unhappy since that took a lot of room inside.

Anyways, we are going to see if we can take the carrier & if my dh can stuff it inside the car when we get there with the few things & if he can easily attach it vs sweating bullets in FL/VA.

But if we can't, we just will deal with more stuff inside the van & my mom won't be with us, just maybe her small suitcase so there will be more room/stow a seat.

We take the Autotrain every year. We arrived early to the station last year and got to talking to the desk clerk. She told me that the sleeper portion of the train is sold in a style of banks. They release 10 roomettes, 10 bedrooms once those ten are sold they release another 10 for more money and so on. So the earlier or longer the rooms sell the price will vary.
She told me this after my comment of " I checked the price and a couple of day later it went up like $80.00". I wasn't complaining about it at all just making small talk. The info you can get doing that sometimes is incredible.

We take the Autotrain every year. We arrived early to the station last year and got to talking to the desk clerk. She told me that the sleeper portion of the train is sold in a style of banks. They release 10 roomettes, 10 bedrooms once those ten are sold they release another 10 for more money and so on. So the earlier or longer the rooms sell the price will vary.
She told me this after my comment of " I checked the price and a couple of day later it went up like $80.00". I wasn't complaining about it at all just making small talk. The info you can get doing that sometimes is incredible.

Yes, they sell them in price buckets. We always book as early as we can.

We'll be getting on the auto train on July 30 in Lorton. DH and I have a roommette going down, while we are flinging DS25, DD17 and DDBFF17 into coach due to the insane prices. (I booked less than a month ago, so got what late bookers can expect.) the way back on August 19 was hundreds cheaper. The 3 of them will be in a bedroom, which Amtrak permits over the phone, and we will have a bedroom as well. (The 2 girls don't mind sharing the bed.)

My questions: it's been 2 years! It used to be at Lorton you could check in, get your dinner assignment and coach car assignment if going coach, and then take your vehicle back out for lunch. Still possible? Otherwise, do they run a shuttle, like Sanford does?

Wireless? Did they ever get it up and running?

We'll be getting on the auto train on July 30 in Lorton. DH and I have a roommette going down, while we are flinging DS25, DD17 and DDBFF17 into coach due to the insane prices. (I booked less than a month ago, so got what late bookers can expect.) the way back on August 19 was hundreds cheaper. The 3 of them will be in a bedroom, which Amtrak permits over the phone, and we will have a bedroom as well. (The 2 girls don't mind sharing the bed.)

My questions: it's been 2 years! It used to be at Lorton you could check in, get your dinner assignment and coach car assignment if going coach, and then take your vehicle back out for lunch. Still possible? Otherwise, do they run a shuttle, like Sanford does?

Wireless? Did they ever get it up and running?

Yes I believe you can still check in and take your car back out. Just stay left of the car check in shack and park in the lot. Then you can check in and go back out to eat. The wireless is up and running but once the terminal fills up it slows down real quick.

Has anyone noticed the announcement on Amtrak website that they are no longer providing blankets and small pillows for travelers use? Starting August 1, they will be doing away with those items and will begin selling a "personal comfort pack" that includes a lightweight blanket, a blow up neck pillow, a pair of ear plugs and an eye cover for $8. They will be available in the lounge on the trains.

Has anyone noticed the announcement on Amtrak website that they are no longer providing blankets and small pillows for travelers use? Starting August 1, they will be doing away with those items and will begin selling a "personal comfort pack" that includes a lightweight blanket, a blow up neck pillow, a pair of ear plugs and an eye cover for $8. They will be available in the lounge on the trains.

Wow! No I did not. I understand its a cost savings for them, but I don't like that we need to bring our own.

Is this just for coach?

I'd hope a bedroom still includes sheets and blankets...

Sounds like a good deal to me. Of course you could bring those things yourself and save some bucks.

The first time we took the train (not the Auto Train) they didn't supply blankets in coach. We bought a blanket with the Amtrak logo on it in the lounge and bought a headset, also with the Amtak logo, to listen to the music or movies. We did get little pillows like the airlines give you.

We have always had a Deluxe sleeper car on the Auto Train. I doubt they will take the blankets and pillows away from the sleepers.

Sometimes the Autotrain has different rules. For example, meals are not included on regular Amtrak in coach but, as we know, they are included on the Autotrain.

Perhaps, maybe this will also be an exception for Autotrain passengers. I know the link doesn't say anything about exceptions, but one can only hope.

We will be getting on the AT at Lorton on the 30th. The staff is amazingly friendly at the station and on the train. I will ask if the answer is to known on this board by then.

Pillows and blankets will no longer be provided in the coaches on the Auto train as of Aug. 1.

Young adult car assignment in coach?

So, on the 30th we boarding Lorton. The hard hearted long suffering parents who are springing for the entire trip (HRH 2 nights, Vistana and Disney 2 weeks, beach 3 nights) informed the offspring DS25, DD17 and her best giggle friend that they would go down coach, while their much older and creakier parents would get a roomette . (Which autocorrect wants to call a raison être ). They feel put upon, with seemingly little memory of all the years we all went coach, with involved us compressing ourselves into little space while they sprawls all over us. When we come back, bedrooms!

So they want to know, with the 2 17 (almost 18 yr olds), can they get into the young adult/bomber car, as opposed to the family car or what we call the Mr. Wilson car?

At this time of year all of the coach cars could be kiddie/family cars. Your best bet would be to politely ask the counter attendant in the station to not put them in the kiddie car. They will probably do their best, but in the summer....

We went coach a number of times when the kids were younger. And as we would walk through the "loud families" cars, we would come upon this calm oasis, which was younger adults hooked up to their devices, talking quietly, and nobody was cranky. So that is our mythos of the young adult car. Paradise. Or so believe my kids who really cannot believe that we are flinging them to coach, while we , the longsuffering parents who are paying for this excursion, take an (expensive) roomette.

Live from thenAutotrain!

Where we have been Travelling slowly or stationary for. Most of the time due to presumed line problems.

When we arrived at noon we went to the left and parked and did not check car in. Got 7 pm dinner settings, and got the adult car for the 25 yr old Ds and the 17 yr old princess and her est friend. Inquired about a bedroom upgrade. $765 smackaroonies for a same day upgrade. Told kids they are doing discovery cove on our nickel and coach will be adventure.

Etheline was our check in agent, and she was awesome.

We then went ack out, looking for either the 5 guys or the Taco Bell. Google maps, using Yelp search, screwed it p and sent us in circles. Found the Taco Bell by random luck. Use a different nav system than google's I. Lorton, apparently.

Back at the station, There are signs plastered everywhere about the convenience upgrade starting August 1 that means you can buy a comfort kit rather than use a free blanket and pillow in coach.

This train is listed as sold out, although the actual passengers are below capacity. DD texted there are o empty seats In their car.

For those going in the sleeper cars, they announce the wine and cheese thing as starting at 3. Actually it opens as soon as boarding starts. At that time you can get a booth, the mink hey snacks (pretzels mixed with seaweed spicy crackers and horseradish peas. Yummy, if you like this.) the wine is still from a vineyard in VA. The Chardonnay is passable.

Dinner I got the steak. Ordered it medium. It was a bit over cooked and tough. But the sauce was flavorful. Veggies are fresh and not overlooked. The peaniput butter cake is absolutely to die for, and will put you in a suar coma.

This crew is fabulous.

No clue on what the several hours of slow to stop will do to the schedule. Will update!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter