All about the Autotrain

email - no tickets answer

Take the email with you (although you may not need it.) When you pull up to the 'guard shack' at the entrance to the autotrain they will hand you your tickets. They have your name on a list and they will have prepared a ticket for you. If you pick up your tickets in advance at you local Amtrak or have them mailed, they are harder to refund or exchange; if you haven't gotten a paper ticket yet, they have a great refund policy. We do this everytime and have never had a problem. Have fun!

In general when I looked up the Amtrak guidelines (for all rides) it said to obtain at a station. However, my confirmatihn states it is not a ticket and you must obtain tickets before boarding. Then it says Exception: paper tickets are not required to board the auto train = check at counter. I just wanted to make sure I am doing all the right things.

yes, your fine. Just bring your print out with you. The first 2 times I had the paper ticket mailed to me. Now I do the "e-ticket" If you need to cancel or change something its much easier to do that if you had your ticket printed.

Also last trip my return train was cancelled so I had to wait almost a month for a refund after I mailed back the ticket. A paperless ticket would of been faster.

We are on the Aug 14th train. This is our 9th AT Trip to WDW.

LisaNJ25-- we have stayed at the Comfort Inn in Lorton. It is just on the other side of the highway from the station. It included a breakfast. In the past they offered a discount to Autotrain passengers

Hope this helps everyone. I would be happy to answer any other ?'s you may have.

Thanks.. is that with calling the hotel direct? I was looking a this hotel but they were changing an extra $30 for the rollaway bed for the 5th person:scared1: When all of the other hotels within the same chain were between 5 and 10 extra.

You so right about delays.. Always have a back up plan just incase. Last trip we didnt get into sanford until 5pm than our return train was cancelled and we had to drive home.

LisaNJ25-- yes that was calling the hotel directly. We stayed many years ago so it may have changed. It was just DM and I at the time. you can also check by the potomac mills mall. It is a few more exits south of the station. I thought I saw a few hotels over there.

it is amazing how hotels in the same chain charge so differently. We used our Hilton honors points for a hotel stay in MD in Nov. One hotel was 30,000 points and the other one 15 mins away was 15,000 points. Glad I searched it out bc the 2nd hotel was closer to the college and our point covered one room.

Good luck!

We are planning to drive down from PA in October and then take the AT back...I was just wondering if I book now and they offer the kids for $25 again for those dates will I get a refund?? I have 3 kids so it could some us some $$$, but I hate to wait to book to see if it is offered for Oct. and then have the train be full.

We are planning to drive down from PA in October and then take the AT back...I was just wondering if I book now and they offer the kids for $25 again for those dates will I get a refund?? I have 3 kids so it could some us some $$$, but I hate to wait to book to see if it is offered for Oct. and then have the train be full.

I booked in Feb, and called last week to change my kids to the low fare. It only works if you're traveling in coach, so they couldn't change it for me.

yes, they will have family cars and than adult only cars. We always book lower level. We are going in August also. This is our 3rd time on the Auto Train.

For those that head to Lorton the day before.. any suggestions on a hotel that wont break the bank for a family of 5?

We are driving down on Saturday.. plan on going into in DC for the day Sunday and we are on the monday train.
Is the lower level better and if so why?
:goodvibes
Also are there certain days of the week that it costs less to go on the AT?

I booked in Feb, and called last week to change my kids to the low fare. It only works if you're traveling in coach, so they couldn't change it for me.
Coach just means I have not booked a roomette and only booked regular seats, correct?:confused3

Rates change depending on the number of seats that have been sold, even for rooms. If the snowbirds have booked far out, it will be higher.

I've been checking every couple of days for a trip in June that I already booked in June (if the rates had decreased, I could have gotten a refund on the difference). Rates have mostly been going up, but some have gone down. When I changed a fare, I watched a room price decrease, and then go up the next day.

Coach just means I have not booked a roomette and only booked regular seats, correct?:confused3

That is my understanding based on my bookings.

Rates change depending on the number of seats that have been sold, even for rooms. If the snowbirds have booked far out, it will be higher.

I've been checking every couple of days for a trip in June that I already booked in June (if the rates had decreased, I could have gotten a refund on the difference). Rates have mostly been going up, but some have gone down. When I changed a fare, I watched a room price decrease, and then go up the next day.

That is my understanding based on my bookings.

Thanks so much :cutie:
I'm looking at late October and the rate I get for 2 adults, 3 kids and 1 car is $512 one way. Can anyone tell me if that is on the lower or higher end of what it typically costs?

I have never seem them do that deal in october.. and the deal right now only covers 1 child per adult so your 3rd would be regular price.

I like lower better since there are less people.

I am leaving in August on a Monday, with the 25 promo covering 2 of my kids I just paid around 460 one way

I want to come home on Saturday Sept 1 and the rates are now 789 on way home. I think we may be driving back .:sad2:

I'm looking at late October and the rate I get for 2 adults, 3 kids and 1 car is $512 one way. Can anyone tell me if that is on the lower or higher end of what it typically costs?
that is lower

I have never seem them do that deal in october.. and the deal right now only covers 1 child per adult so your 3rd would be regular price.

I like lower better since there are less people.

I am leaving in August on a Monday, with the 25 promo covering 2 of my kids I just paid around 460 one way

I want to come home on Saturday Sept 1 and the rates are now 789 on way home. I think we may be driving back .:sad2:

that is lower
We are planning to drive down from PA to FL and just take the AT home as the drive home last time was so torturous :scared1:

The lowest I've seen since I started watching in Jan for June is: $98 per adult, $49 per kid, $169 for the vehicle, so you're in there.

From what I've read, there is a tradeoff between lower and upper. Restrooms are lower (odor) but the car connections are on the upper level. Many have said that they haven't noticed the odor in lower compartments though.

The lowest I've seen since I started watching in Jan for June is: $98 per adult, $49 per kid, $169 for the vehicle, so you're in there.

From what I've read, there is a tradeoff between lower and upper. Restrooms are lower (odor) but the car connections are on the upper level. Many have said that they haven't noticed the odor in lower compartments though.
sorry to be dumb but what do you mean by car connections?
:confused3

I could have been clearer.
You can walk from car to car through doors, but only on the upper level.
That's how you get to the dining car and the lounge.

I could have been clearer.
You can walk from car to car through doors, but only on the upper level.
That's how you get to the dining car and the lounge.
Oh ok...thank you!;)
Not sure where would be best for us to sit...wherever is quieter I guess so we'll at least get some sleep My kids will be 13,9 and 5 when we go for the 1st time.

I was wondering if there is like a numbered list of tips/facts for going on the AT?
Like what time to arrive, what time to eat, must haves to pack etc?

Oh ok...thank you!;)
Not sure where would be best for us to sit...wherever is quieter I guess so we'll at least get some sleep My kids will be 13,9 and 5 when we go for the 1st time.

I was wondering if there is like a numbered list of tips/facts for going on the AT?
Like what time to arrive, what time to eat, must haves to pack etc?

This is a great resource

http://www.on-track-on-line.com/autotrain-tips.shtml

We are planning to drive down from PA to FL and just take the AT home as the drive home last time was so torturous :scared1:

I hear ya, we did this same route last Oct. I am not sure about the Oct rate for this special, but when I checked June going south (reverse of snow birds) there is a tab that says "specials" and the kids ride $25 in couch. The loss of the rate if you have a room. But with out AAA discount the kids were still $44.

We had 5 of us, two full rooms, an oversize veh AAA rate was $1050 coming south. I am really leary to drive both ways, but I could get airfare for that rate round trip.

Loved the romance of the train, the wine and cheese when we boarded, watch the world go by. At one point they let you know that if you look out on the corner that is traveled each part of the train can see the other.

The dinner was nice, another glass of wine, I think to help sleep; for which I did none of. The thinness of the bedding when the room was converted was not good on my dear ol back, hips and shoulders. BUT my husband and I both fit in the bottom berth as dd claimed the top.

The train hall is narrow to walk through, one person at a time, pretty cool to go between the cars. I used the shower downstairs instead of our room as it is the bathroom too and I did not want to get it soaked, and needed the room with the shuttle back and forth.

Overall it was a very nice experiance, I would take a foam egg crate. OR I might sleep in coach better because I sleep in a recliner at home.
THe breakfast is bagels, toast, cereal, fruit, juices, muffins, use to be real eggs and bacon affair...
Best part was the ride though, cut out so much of the trip.

Historically the $25 kids rate is only for a select few months in the Summer. Kids are already 50% off adult fares all other times.

I know! I was so excited when they finally announced their summer kid deal ... but then read the fine print "coach only" and said it's not worth it for me. We are spoiled by the rooms and less people!

We'll be trying out the roomette for our first time in July since it's just the 2 of us this time. Very excited to see how that works out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter