All about the Autotrain

Tipping question??

I read earlier about tipping during meals (dinner & breakfast) but are there any other times we should be tipping (coach, no rooms)?

How does the vehicle drop off/pick up work? Do we need to tip there as well?

Tipping question??

1. I read earlier about tipping during meals (dinner & breakfast) but are there any other times we should be tipping (coach, no rooms)?

2. How does the vehicle drop off/pick up work? Do we need to tip there as well?

1. Maybe the person in the lounge car if they serve you something. They are basically a bartender.

2. We didn't tip nor did we see anyone else tip. When you drop off you leave the keys in the car, take your stuff and leave. Depending on how busy it is you probably won't even see the person taking your car to the train.

Its a little fuzzy, but when you pick up, the person drives your car out to the driveway and then runs back to get another car. Again its not like a valet type situation. I think you show your ticket folder that has your car number on it so they know you are getting the right car and then you hop in and drive away.

1. Maybe the person in the lounge car if they serve you something. They are basically a bartender.

2. We didn't tip nor did we see anyone else tip. When you drop off you leave the keys in the car, take your stuff and leave. Depending on how busy it is you probably won't even see the person taking your car to the train.

Its a little fuzzy, but when you pick up, the person drives your car out to the driveway and then runs back to get another car. Again its not like a valet type situation. I think you show your ticket folder that has your car number on it so they know you are getting the right car and then you hop in and drive away.

Thanks, that helps a lot!

Tipping question??

I read earlier about tipping during meals (dinner & breakfast) but are there any other times we should be tipping (coach, no rooms)?

How does the vehicle drop off/pick up work? Do we need to tip there as well?

Other than meals, we've only tipped when we've been in a room and attended a wine tasting (rooms only). We gave the room attendant something like $20 and a couple of dollars at the wine tasting. At meals, 5 dollars at dinner and a couple of dollars at breakfast.

For vehicle drop off and pickiup, no, you do not tip them. I've never seen anyone give the drivers a tip. The drivers literally drive the cars back and forth. They are rushing back and forth loading or unloading cars. We'll be on our 4th trip in Oct.

The movie shown last night was Rango. The train was pretty full and they had three dinner seatings. My piece of advice would be to bring some sort of eye cover because depending on your seat location you may have a light in your face. We were in the second row and every time someone opened the door to go to the other car the light would be really bright. Also, if you are near the stairs the light is on all night.

BTW, I had booked lower level and when we checked in (before 2:00), there was only one lower level car where all three of us could sit together. Since I was traveling with my two kids (15, 13) it wasn't an option to be split up. We were later asked if we'd give up our seats to a woman traveling alone with two young children who wanted the ease of being close to the bathroom. I agreed to move but couldn't figure out how, when I reserved the lower level seating, there was only one car left with space for all of us. I would think that they shouldn't let other people take those seats unless reserved in advance or demonstrated an actual need.

Also, I think the best bathroom to use is the changing room. It's even better than the handicap bathroom which is bigger but has a more awkward toilet placement.

We had a lot of freight traffic which caused us to move very slow at the beginning. All night we raced to make up time but it wasn't enough and we ended up getting in a half hour late. At least our car was within the first dozen or so offloaded.

HTH

Thank for your trip report!! My DS and I have a roomette so the light won't be a problem. Thanks for the heads up on the bathroom situation. I guess I will be looking for the changing room!!

Best of luck to all of you riding soon (or already done). Definitely come back and give your reports here!:goodvibes

As for tipping (there are 4 of us), we do $5/dinner, $3/breakfast, $1/per two drinks of wine at the wine tasting and for the room we've done $10 and 20...all depends on how helpful the steward is. We did not tip when we did coach.

Glad someone mentioned tipping. I wasn't sure about that either eventhough I had already decided to tip . We will be taking the AT at the end of September and are really excited yet nervous. Not sure what to expect: will we be able to sleep, will I get motion sickness, how will our daughter behave and can all three of us sit together? Can't wait for the adventure and please if anyone has pics of the coach seats completely reclined, please post them!

will we be able to sleep
, will I get motion sickness
, how will our daughter behave
and can all three of us sit together?

OK, here are my predictions! :goodvibes :rotfl2:;)

- yes, but you'll wake up throughout the night multiple times
- at times, since the train can wobble
- she'll act like any kid -- both great when she's having fun and not so great when she's tired or bored
- no -- the seats are in 2's, so 2 of you will be able to sit together and 1 of you will be across the aisle(and slightly forward) or in front/behind. I recommend going across the aisle.

I just say this in jest! But seriously, if you keep expectations low and try not to stress if/when your daughter cries and just simply try to enjoy the experience, you'll be fine.

Trains are not for everyone. My father hated it and called it torture. We think torture is being cramped and stuck in a car for over 14 hours with screaming kids.

Of course we enjoy it so much that now we save up for a Family bedroom, which we enjoy even more!

Motion sickness really depends on you. I get sea sick, but I love the train and have never felt nauseous. As a kid I got car sick and still can get nauseous if I sit in the back seat, am too warm and read. But, the train, no problem whatsoever.

Sleep-we generally get about 4-5 hours total.

We are going to be first time train riders in October. We have had mixed reviews. I have friends that have taken the train and LOVE IT! My friend just took the train and was miserable!! We did the Amtrak credit card deal and got enough points (for just signing up) to get 2 free roomettes going down, so that we will be rested and fresh when we arrive in Orlando. Coming back...we are in the seats!

We are going to be first time train riders in October. We have had mixed reviews. I have friends that have taken the train and LOVE IT! My friend just took the train and was miserable!! We did the Amtrak credit card deal and got enough points (for just signing up) to get 2 free roomettes going down, so that we will be rested and fresh when we arrive in Orlando. Coming back...we are in the seats!

Did the friends that didn't like train take the Auto Train or regular Amtrak because they are almost like two separate companies?

I have another question...Do they have an ice maker on board so I can put fresh ice in my cooler?

OK, here are my predictions! :goodvibes :rotfl2:;)

- yes, but you'll wake up throughout the night multiple times
- at times, since the train can wobble
- she'll act like any kid -- both great when she's having fun and not so great when she's tired or bored
- no -- the seats are in 2's, so 2 of you will be able to sit together and 1 of you will be across the aisle(and slightly forward) or in front/behind. I recommend going across the aisle.

I just say this in jest! But seriously, if you keep expectations low and try not to stress if/when your daughter cries and just simply try to enjoy the experience, you'll be fine.

Trains are not for everyone. My father hated it and called it torture. We think torture is being cramped and stuck in a car for over 14 hours with screaming kids.

Of course we enjoy it so much that now we save up for a Family bedroom, which we enjoy even more!

Thanks:) Made me laugh! I wonder if when we get to Lorton if I can request seats across from each other or if the comp just gives out wherever?
I'm sure we'll do fine sleeping,especially my daughter. DH will probably be up most of the night because he hears all:rotfl:

Hi. Can anyone tell me how wide the seats in coach are? Also, how many bathrooms are in the coach section? Does any one have any pictures of these areas? Thanks everyone. :)

I don't have pictures of the bathroom area but from what I recall there is one handicap, two? Tiny ones, one a liitle larger labeled changing room and there's a ladies lounge that has an area for applying makeup, doing hair, etc and it has a small bathroom accessible only from inside. All bathrooms are on the lower level.

They did the Silver Star from Raleigh, NC to Kissimee. I think it was all the stopping that woke them up.

The seats are as wide as first class on a plane.

I don't have pictures of the bathroom area but from what I recall there is one handicap, two? Tiny ones, one a liitle larger labeled changing room and there's a ladies lounge that has an area for applying makeup, doing hair, etc and it has a small bathroom accessible only from inside. All bathrooms are on the lower level.

Thank you for the info. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter