All Aboard Presidents Week Mexican Riviera February 19, 2012 Wonder

It is much smaller but has the same type of stores and restaurants.

Thanks!

Have you been to the California Museum of Science in Exposition Park? I'm wondering if the kids enjoyed it and how much time we should allot for it? Also, how much time does the aquarium need? It's so hard to tell online the sizes of these places!:confused3

Does anyone else feel like February has snuck up on them? I can't believe we leave in two weeks! Much to do, much to do!

We are planning on visiting Disneyland the Saturday before. Unfortunately we only have the one day but we'll just have to do what we can. I think we are just planning DL but I'm having a hard time because many of our favorite rides seem to be at DCA!

Last night we decided to try and upgrade to a balcony and surprisingly enough one was available! Very excited about that! :banana:

Thanks!

Have you been to the California Museum of Science in Exposition Park? I'm wondering if the kids enjoyed it and how much time we should allot for it? Also, how much time does the aquarium need? It's so hard to tell online the sizes of these places!:confused3

Depending on your kids' interest, it will take 2-3 hrs in each museum. There is a natural history museum (which has just been redone), an aerospace museum and the science museum. If you want to see it all, plan on 3/4 of a day. If you are going to pick and choose what museums you see, it will take less time.

I'm not sure if you have aquariums where you live or if you've been to any of the larger aquariums (Monterey, Chicago, etc) but the Aquarium of the Pacific isn't as large. Depending on your interest, the aquarium would probably take a half a day. There are certain shows and happenings that only occur once a day (ex. shark feeding). If your kids are really into it and you decide to stay for those types of programs, plan on 3/4 of a day. :fish:

As far as whether or not our kids like it..... The museums are a standard field trip for elementary schools so the kids have fun. Our family volunteers in the education department at the Aquarium of the Pacific so spend a lot of time as exhibit interpreters. The kids really like the aquarium but, since we're there so often, it is the last thing they want to do on their free time. :rotfl:

As a side note, the Aquarium promotes sustainable seafood and there are certain restaurants in the area that will give you a free ticket to the aquarium for every sustainable seafood meal that you order. http://www.fishchoice.com/Resources/FishChoice-Affiliates/Aquarium-of-the-Pacific.aspx

Does anyone else feel like February has snuck up on them? I can't believe we leave in two weeks! Much to do, much to do!

Absolutely! Since we don't have to fly, stay in a hotel, etc. I don't think I'm as organized for these cruises as I am for other vacations. My husband's birthday is next weekend, my son has baseball 3 times a week and my daughter has a swim meet the day before we cruise. Throw a school report and Valentines Day in there and we have a very busy month!

Thanks!

We have been and my kids liked it, but I don't remember many details other than the day we went was Cyberchase day and they got to meet Bianca and do special Cyberchase activities. We also like the LaBrea Tar Pits (Nat'l History Museum). That one is nice because it's different than anything else they've been to.

If you are members of your local science museum, both the CA science ctr and Nat'l History Museum are ASTC members and provide free reciprocal admission.

If you aren't participating in the FE but would like to receive notification of get togethers, please sign up on the cruise spreadsheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...DN5YkhqNUZKQ1h4ZWZLcUxqeEdvYVE&hl=en_US#gid=0

:thanks:

Thanks for the reminder, we've joined the spreadsheet. Technically we will participate in the FE. We signed up for this sailing after the cut off. DW has made quite a nice FE that we have used 2x already, mostly to help find our stateroom!:lmao:

The funny thing is she made one because she found them attractive. It was long before we found the DIS. We had no idea it was a gift giving culture. We were surprised to get back to our room and find something stuffed in it. In fact it was a Disney Eco-style reusable grocery bag that has gotten great use.

Any way we expect nothing in return. It will be great practice for Christmas on the Fantasy. It is, after all, better to give than receive.

Hi We are from the Northeast as well. "Go Giants" LOL I live very close to the Giant Stadium in Jersey.

I see GarakDS9 you were also on the Med and Alaska cruise. We have lots to talk about.

It would seem that after this weekend's match Super Bowl match up we will have even more to talk about.:laughing:

Thanks for the reminder, we've joined the spreadsheet. Technically we will participate in the FE. We signed up for this sailing after the cut off. DW has made quite a nice FE that we have used 2x already, mostly to help find our stateroom!:lmao:

The funny thing is she made one because she found them attractive. It was long before we found the DIS. We had no idea it was a gift giving culture. We were surprised to get back to our room and find something stuffed in it. In fact it was a Disney Eco-style reusable grocery bag that has gotten great use.

Any way we expect nothing in return. It will be great practice for Christmas on the Fantasy. It is, after all, better to give than receive.

Do you want to change where you placed your name on the spreadsheet so that it is listed as "joining after the deadline"? That section is for families who want to participate but realize that they may not receive gifts from everyone because they joined after the Jan 13 deadline.

Lkfan and threeboysny, thanks for the info!

Is anybody nervous about the open house hours? They seem so long! The ones in the lab on sea days are the ones that i am a bit worried about. Im sure it will work out, but i still worry!

Lkfan and threeboysny, thanks for the info!

Is anybody nervous about the open house hours? They seem so long! The ones in the lab on sea days are the ones that i am a bit worried about. Im sure it will work out, but i still worry!

Those are the ones that I'm worried about as well. The first Monday is a day when we would like to relax and we would like our kids to get acquainted with the clubs. Unfortunately, it looks like the lab is closed (or rather, in open house) from 3:30 - 10 pm. That's a huge chunk of time. :sad2:

It's strange though, that the open house times on the Dream are so much shorter - they are only like an hour or 2 at a time which makes much more sense. I was hoping the hours would be adjusted on the Wonder before we sailed, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

I just called DCL to see what movies would be playing for our cruise. He said the following might be playing but are subject to change:

Toy Story 3
Pirates of the Caribbean 4
Winnie the Pooh
Reel Steel
War Horse
African Cats
The Help
The Muppets

He didn't know if The Secret World of Arietty would be shown, hopefully it will as it opens 2/17.

Do you want to change where you placed your name on the spreadsheet so that it is listed as "joining after the deadline"? That section is for families who want to participate but realize that they may not receive gifts from everyone because they joined after the Jan 13 deadline.
Thanks for the advice, will fix now.

Is anybody bring peso? Do we need to exchange before we leave? Or we can exchange at port?

Is anybody bring peso? Do we need to exchange before we leave? Or we can exchange at port?

We brought them last year and didn't need them. If you stay close to the ports, you should be fine with dollars.

Hi All, my family and I are setting sail on this trip the 19t(our 1st DC) and I only just now sat down to plan things out. I am so disappointed that I missed the FE deadline. I have added my family to the FE post deadline list, but I don't want my kids to suffer because I waited until the last minute to check out the fun, so I am wondering if you other late-comers would like to do a smaller version of the FE, for just our kids? I am thinking we can do quite a few gifts for this smaller number of kids vs. doing 1 or 2 for the larger group? Let me know if those of you who signed up after the deadline are interested in doing this. Otherwise I will just bring gifts for my little ones, myself. Don't want them to miss out on such a CUTE tradition! Just trying to figure out an easy way to make this happen at such a late date....

We are from San Jose and I am excited to see several other families from this area who also have elementary aged children! I have a son, 9 and a daughter, 6(going on 16!). My son is a lego-loving math and science kid (breaks his dad's heart but baseball, football/sports in general are of no interest to him!) who is a total home body. He is trying his best to be excited about this trip and I am hoping to find him even one other boy he can connect with to make the trip more fun for him. He loves club penquin and his x-box (weekend only in this house so he is going to be thrilled to see the set up on board!).

Are any of you doing the swim with the dolphin's thing? My kids want to do this and I am leaning toward the cabo adventure as I believe it is walking distance from the ship vs. a 30 minute drive. Any recommendations, either way?

Another question, for those that care to share. If you were only going to do 2 things (with or without kids!), which things should we NOT miss.

So glad to find this site - thanks in advance for any responses!

Danae

I have a son, 9 and a daughter, 6(going on 16!). My son is a lego-loving math and science kid (breaks his dad's heart but baseball, football/sports in general are of no interest to him!) who is a total home body. He is trying his best to be excited about this trip and I am hoping to find him even one other boy he can connect with to make the trip more fun for him. He loves club penquin and his x-box (weekend only in this house so he is going to be thrilled to see the set up on board!).

I literally just laughed out loud when I read this, as our 9 year old boy is EXACTLY like yours. Ours likes to read me science and nature facts in his books: an example from the other day, "Daddy, did you know that a termite hill can grow up to 32 feet in height?" In fact, the last time we talked to him about kids club on the cruise, he said he'd bring a book to read there.

And the sports thing too- we have him playing to get exercise, but he has no interest. He feels perfectly fine while playing on his Nintendo DS, but he amazingly gets a headache when it's time for us to play catch in the backyard for 5 minutes.

So if we can get our boys to at least meet, that would be great!

. My son is a lego-loving math and science kid (breaks his dad's heart but baseball, football/sports in general are of no interest to him!) who is a total home body.

Are you sure you don't have my son living in your household? My son is 9 and sounds exactly like your's. If we let him, he'll hang out in the stateroom all day. When in the clubs, he plays a lot of Mario Kart but at least he is out and playing with other kids. I'm really nervous about what he will do when the Lab is in "open house" and the kids are moved to the Club. I'm debating about giving him in/out privileges so he can go to the Lab on his own. If we hide the DS and TV remote, he won't be tempted to hang out in the room.

Okay, even more funny is that, I went to read what you wrote again and see that my husband (Bruins) already replied. :lmao:

Are any of you doing the swim with the dolphin's thing? My kids want to do this and I am leaning toward the cabo adventure as I believe it is walking distance from the ship vs. a 30 minute drive. Any recommendations, either way?

Another question, for those that care to share. If you were only going to do 2 things (with or without kids!), which things should we NOT miss.

We did the Cabo dolphin swim on the second (shorter day) day in Cabo last year. Both kids really enjoyed it. It is a very short walk from the ship.

As far as what not to miss: First would be the shows. If it is your first time cruising with Disney, the shows are great. :thumbsup2 Second would be Palo (brunch and/or dinner). Both are fantastic. :love:

Welcome to the Dis Boards. Looking forward to meeting you in..... wow, is it just 13 days now? :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter