• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alice in Blockbuster Land!

CoolTrainerTerry

DIS Veteran
"It was bonkers."

That's how a Disney exec today described Alice in Wonderland's estimated $116.3 million weekend box-office debut.

Tim Burton's and Johnny Depp's 3D party blew away big expectations, sucked the life (and screens) from Avatar, and became Hollywood's first $100 million-plus opener outside of the summer and holiday seasons. As Disney's Chuck Viane said, borrowing an adjective from his studio's film, "bonkers." More results:

• Alice made $41 million on Friday, and $44.3 million on Saturday. It's expected to make do with $31 million today, provided the Oscars doesn't keep too many people at home.

• Worldwide, the reportedly $200 million movie made $210 million overall.

• The film is easily the biggest of Burton's pretty-big box-office career. His previous opening-weekend best was $68.5 million for 2001's Planet of the Apes.

• The film is the second-biggest of Depp's even-bigger box-office career. Only the first Pirates of the Caribbean sequel, Dead Man's Chest, bowed with more money ($135.6 million).

• Alice was a record draw in IMAX, as you might've guessed if you got aced out of a sold-out weekend screening. The company reports the movie made $11.9 million alone from its theaters.

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b170534_alice_in_blockbuster_land.html#ixzz0hWEuFfGd

:cool1: That's great! I personally loved the movie, so I'm happy to hear it!

It was a good movie - not great, but not bad - but had some very nice moments, especially visually, with a great soundtrack/score, and is something everyone of all ages can go enjoy. Good for them.

• Alice was a record draw in IMAX, as you might've guessed if you got aced out of a sold-out weekend screening. The company reports the movie made $11.9 million alone from its theaters.

DD and her friend went to see it at our local IMAX 3D screen. They went for a Saturday afternoon matinee, and got to the theater over 30 minutes early, but it was sold out.

We are going to try it again this Wednesday evening.

The movie is high on sugar-sweet visuals, but hobbled by one-dimensional characters, and a screenplay that a monkey could write.

Other than that, Depp did a good job with what he had to work with. :confused3

Of course, it's still Alice in Wonderland which story itself (in the original) dosen't allow for too much character development.
And I assume it sticks pretty much to the story? I haven't seen it yet.

Of course, it's still Alice in Wonderland which story itself (in the original) dosen't allow for too much character development.
And I assume it sticks pretty much to the story? I haven't seen it yet.

It is actually kind of a mish-mash combination of Alice and Looking Glass that doesn't really follow either.

Best to just think of it at Burton's take on the setting with pieces of the stories thrown in to make a narrative to take us where he wants us to go.

Here is an excerpt from what I wrote on my blog after viewing the movie on Friday:

The movie was exactly as I had hoped it would be. Magical and fantastic, every scene was so carefully descriptive in the images, costumes and attention to detail that I could hardly take any of it in. It will be a movie I replay until it skips, I have no doubt. I sat in the dark with 350 other people, all enraptured by the thought of a world existing where "Everything is as it shouldn't be, and what it should be, it isn't." I had a longing, a feeling of needing to live in that world where animals are your equals and plants are companions. More than anything else, to not be accepted unless you are nothing but yourself, no matter how odd or mad you may seem to others; to in fact be held in greater esteem for showing your true colors. With a tummy full of sugar and a mind full of wonderings and musings of a very 3-D nature, we walked out of the darkened theater and into the hallway where reality set in like the harsh fluorescent lighting above us.

Yes, there were some changes from the original Lewis Carroll books. But all in all, it was what Alice should be, which is a smattering of random occurances mixed in with stunning visuals and endearingly odd characters.

Anyone have a favorite character?

Seem like Cheshire Cat was a real favorite for people (here is a clip for anyone that hasn't seen the movie yet). But all the reviews that I have read just can't get over Helena Bonham Carter's performance. All in all I think everyone was perfectly cast.

Any reports that this one is better while viewed "on drugs" too or have they deviated from the original?:confused3

Any reports that this one is better while viewed "on drugs" too or have they deviated from the original?:confused3

I tend to think any Tim Burton movie might be better whilst under the influence of something, ha.

I think Alice in Tim Burton's version is a real modern day hero. I like how she is on a journey to find her inner strength and her "muchness" :)

Did anyone see it in IMAX? It broke Avatar's IMAX box office opening weekend numbers- very impressive!

I'd love to go see it, but we had already decided we wanted to buy the Blu-Ray as soon as it came out. Family of 4 at the theaters with 3-D and NO snacks is approximately $35. Blu-ray will probably be another $30 - $35. Thats $70 in ONE movie. A little too steep for my blood.
Typically if we see it at the theater we don't buy it till its old and out of style and we can pick it up for pennies on the dollar on ebay or a pawn shop. Otherwise a movie I KNOW I'll like we just wait and buy new on BR or DVD ans skip the theater. I'm torn on this one too. I really want to see it. Not sure I can do the wait till it hits purchase date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter