Alexa's Make A Wish Trip April 2013

taimie

Earning My Ears
We are very excited for our upcoming wish trip for our daughter Alexa. We are going to GKTW April 23-29. Matter of fact we just received our flight itinerary in the mail the other day. It now actually seems real, before it was us just talking about it, but it did not feel "real" now it does!!..:love: Now that it is "real" we feel like we can start planning. All our children know we are going on the MAW trip, but only our 13 year old, Kaila, knows the dates. She wants to make a scavenger hunt for the other 3 the day before we leave to let them know. She is so sweet (I guess having a Valentines birthday does that to you.)!
Our wish child is 10 yr old Alexa. Alexa was born with a rare chromosomal syndrome called Cri du Chat/ 5p-. It is a deletion in the short arm of her fifth chromosome. Alexa is non-verbal, but can usually get her point across to you. You should see how excited she gets when she sees Disney commercials. She starts pointing at herself, then her brothers/sister then her dad and I, then she will point back at the TV. That is how we know this is the right wish for her. She also loves Justin Bieber, so we thought of that as a wish at first, but then thought how her reaction to people can be one extreme to the next. She may be happy and excited or start crying hitting and run the other way. Our luck if we would have chose him was she would run the other way not happy, and we did not want anyone to say her wish was more for her siblings. So Disney here we come, ready or not. :wizard: We are looking to have some shirts made for the trip (depending on price). What are some great ideas you have all used in the past? Alexa will get a MAW shirt, but our local chapter said they can not afford to give the rest of our family one. Any ideas would be great!
Alexa aspirates on all thin liquids and gets sick very easy and like most of our kiddo's has been hospitalized, airlifted, poked, prodded, etc...... Alexa's aspiration on liquids has gotten worst as she gets older, they said there will come a point that she aspirates on all liquids as well as food. It is basically a waiting game.
Her brothers Jet-8 & Ryan- 6 and Kaila are so good with her most of the time.

Thanks for listing!! sorry I am not as good with words as the rest of you are.

Im glad everyone is going. Should be an awesome trip. We have our trip booked for the end of April and the crowd levels look pretty encouraging so im hoping for the best.

hello!!!! I am so glad Alexa is getting her wish granted!

It sound so cute! Her watching the commercials, pointing at you guys and then herself! She is going to love it!

I went on a trip several years ago with a young man that is severely autistic (spoke very few words before he went to Disney), but he LOVED all things Disney... He had a BLAST! It was not a wish trip (he does not qualify), but he had so much fun and really has never been the same since - he started talking more while we were there and has not stopped! :goodvibes

I have listed you guys on the Wish Trippers thread so that people can come find ya! :)

Sorry I missed that you had a thread until maroo posted it. So sorry Alexa has been through so much. So exciting that she's getting her wish. :cheer2: Love how you described her reaction to the commercials. :lovestruc

MAW does sell shirts, if you're interested. Or maybe not? This is the link I used in Dec. http://www.makeawishmarketplace.com/ , but it's not working tonight - not sure if it's a tech thing, or if the site no longer exists. If it does end up working, you need to know that the price that shows up when you look at a shirt is not accurate, it goes up quite a bit once you select a size. We bought blue, but NEmel got white, and then tie dyed them :)

we are so excited we received:wizard: Princess Alexa's:yay: flight literary last week. Now the trip is real!!!
Taimie

Today I (Kaila) will be taking over. I was wondering if anybody would have any ideas for clues that are Disney related and lead to household items for the scavenger hunt. I have come up with a few,but now I am having a mental block. I also need some ideas of little prizes that will occupy my brother and sister on the plane.

Today I (Kaila) will be taking over. I was wondering if anybody would have any ideas for clues that are Disney related and lead to household items for the scavenger hunt. I have come up with a few,but now I am having a mental block. I also need some ideas of little prizes that will occupy my brother and sister on the plane.

pixiedust:Thank you Kaila, for helping me on here, you are so sweet to do this for your me. I also really appreciate you wanting to do a scavanger hut for your sister and brothers!!! :cheer2:

Yay for the flight itinerary :)

Kaila - How wonderful that you are planning a scavenger hunt. :goodvibes Could you post a few of the clues that you've already done? :) Have you seen the $1 Play Packs that have a few crayons, stickers, activity sheets? They come in lots of different characters.

How exciting. We had a MAW trip planned for my youngest girl a few years back... Back when hurricane Katrina hit :sad1: Katrina ended up closing all wish trips for a brief time... So we never got her wish trip to wdw. However... I do have ideas for your shirt issue. As someone already said u can purchase maw tees... We ended up making shirts for our group.... With computer generated iron on transfers. Very easy to do. We also ordered custom polo shirts for everyone from the Disney store. We all wore those on the flight down... Which was a nice way to help keep track of everyone in our group (like I mentioned we didn't get her wish trip to wdw... But the year after we planned a trip to wdw with 19 friends n family members).

As for the scavenger hunt... How fun!! What a wonderful idea. I'd like to hear more about what u have so far.... And is this a pre-trip hunt to tell them about the trip... Or is it a ongoing during the trip hunt

I'm not the best with words either! We will be going on my daughter's wish trip in 2 weeks and just bought some personalized iron-on transfers. The kids loved them because they had every ones names on them. They have lots to choose from on ETSY.com. pixiedust:

Yay for the flight itinerary :)

Kaila - How wonderful that you are planning a scavenger hunt. :goodvibes Could you post a few of the clues that you've already done? :) Have you seen the $1 Play Packs that have a few crayons, stickers, activity sheets? They come in lots of different characters.

Kaila wanted me to apologize that she has not posted her plans about the scavenger hunt. She is sick (just a 24-48 hr bug I believe) :confused3
She loves being on and looking at this site. She is such a great big sister!:love:

Taimie, I am FINALLY signing in to let you know I am here and VERY excited about your trip! :cheer2::cheer2: Praying everyone is MUCH better now and that the plans can continue for the countdown fun!

Taimie, I am FINALLY signing in to let you know I am here and VERY excited about your trip! :cheer2::cheer2: Praying everyone is MUCH better now and that the plans can continue for the countdown fun!

Thank you. Everyone is better!!!:goodvibes Just crazy with Cheerleading. Kaila is on a competition team:cheer2: and they had a competition yesterday and today. They are in 5th place going into today, but yesterday only counts for 30%, today counts for 70% so they need to bring it today~~:cheer2:

We also had a teacher at our high school where my husband works, pass away early Friday morning.:( he was a pillar of the community and and probably one of the most loved teacher, he had been there for over 30yrs and was going to retire this year. today is the memorial, they are actually having it at the football field, they expect so many people. My husband is an administrator there, so he has to go, and we were able to find some to watch Alexa, since I will be at Kaila's cheer competition.
I hope everyone has an awesome:love: Sunday!!

sorry have not been on in awhile. Kaila got sick again, but this time with the Flu, we prayed the rest of us did not get it, especially Alexa. Hubby is the only other one to get it, so 2 out of 6 is not bad. :crowded: Now to keep everyone healthy!!! :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter