Alexandria, VA - hotel & traffic HELP pretty please

ClarabelleCowFan

<font color=teal>Found Someone You Have<br><font c
DH is going to be at Ft Belvoir for several months for school and I am trying to find a hotel for him that has a suite like room with a full kitchen and is with a chain where he can earn points (like a Marriott, Hilton, Comfort Suites, etc...). He has the option to stay on or off post but would prefer to stay off post if possible.

I know DC traffic can be a nightmare so would love to find somewhere that would put him going against the traffic (instead of stuck in it) back and forth to Belvoir.

I see 2 Residence Inns with availability for those dates - one is in Alexandria/Old Town and the other is in Woodbridge. Does anyone know anything about these hotels or the traffic from these areas to Belvoir?

THANKS for any help!

You could check Embassey Suites in Alexandria we stayed there in Nov. it was very nice and right across the street from the metro station. So convient to go anywhere.
Denise

Woodbridge is definitely closer to Ft. Belvoir but it's south. He could just go up Route 1 though, it's a shorter drive. If he's doing normal military hours (i.e., early in, early out, 0600 - 1300 or what have you) he would at least miss some of the traffic.

FWIW we've stayed in billeting at Ft. Belvoir and it's pretty decent, even though it looks like it's from the 1940s from the outside. The building we were appeared to be two dorm rooms with a bathroom in between, remodeled to be a suite, with a kitchenette/living room, bathroom between, and bedroom with separate sink area.

Is he going TDY? I know that for some TDYs, you have to have a letter of non-availability for reimbursement. Be sure to check on that so you don't get stuck with the bill. :eek:

It's a really nice area, especially this time of year. I would encourage you to go visit him if possible!

Don' know if they've remodled the rooms where he would stay if chose to stay on base, but they've certainly done a lot to upgrade this base. We're not military, but my kids particpate on the Fort Belvoir swim team and they are always asking their dad to enlist so we could move on base.

Staying north of the base in Old Town will give you less traffic (except for the immediate Old Town area) going south on Rt 1. This one is in an area of Old Town with a lot of new development going on. It's also in a very congested area. The one in Woodbridge is in a rather bland area with lots of restaurants, strip malls and of course Potomac Mills mall around. If it's ambiance he wants go with Old Town.

If it's ambiance he wants go with Old Town.

I definitely agree with that. I used to live there. :) It's a great place, lots of nightlife & great restaurants. The Torpedo Factory is a must-see.

...and they are always asking their dad to enlist so we could move on base.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: If they only knew! And military kids think the civilian kids have it so easy. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter