Aldi?

I buy a fruit and veggies at Aldi. I like their pita chips a lot and their canned beans and tomatoes. I buy boxes of small packages of trail mix for my DD's lunch. I buy some frozen food out of their specialty case but not from the regular frozen section. I buy their natural whole chickens for my crock pot. Last spring I bought a composer from my city for $70. I saw the same composter 2 weeks later under Aldi's brand name for only $35.

Their special product buys are great as well. I have purchased a digital scale, stacking baskets, stadium seats, king size pillows, microfiber bath mats... Etc.
The dairy there is very good. I love the coffee creamer, almond milk, eggs.
Kids snacks are mostly purchased from Aldi's.

I like Aldi, I jokingly say it is my favorite place to shop. Yea you gotta put a .25 deposit for a cart, and either swipe boxes to put your stuff in, or bring your own bags (they will also sell you bags).

It seems to me that a lot of their stuff, I would rather have their generic house brand stuff over some of the name brand stuff for the reason of them not adding MSG to (a lot) of their stuff.

http://baconsonabudget.com/2016/02/03/5-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-shop-at-aldi/

Is a pretty cool article about Aldi (the title is a bit misleading, it is actually pro-Aldi)

I think people have misconceptions about Aldi because they have never used their products before.

We have company over often and I will have something out that people enjoy and ask where I found it (most often the "fancy" cheeses). They are always shocked when I tell them Aldi's. A few friends after asking about multiple items over the course of a few weeks (since it wasn't just one lucky item that happened to taste good) have realized that they need to start shopping at Aldi.

DH has told me that a few times his co-workers have been talking and have referred to Aldi as "that cheap grocery store"-- like it would be so beneath them to go into one. He has tried to explain to several that it's not "cheap" as in quality, but "cheap" as in less expensive for the same thing. They all think we are "rich", but we're just able to afford to do more because we are willing to save in certain other areas.

On another note, one reason why we started shopping at Aldi was that we had an exchange student from Germany when one opened in our area. She was so cute and excited that she was "home" anytime we went there. She said most of the products were the same.

I love Aldi! We buy less than half of our food there, but I get so excited about the things go I can buy there. Wild caught shrimp, yummy cheese, cheap dairy, fresh berries, etc. I LOVE their imported olive oil, and most of the baking goods. The Clancy'a cheetos are better than the name brand, IMO.

DH's coworkers refer to Aldi as the food stamps store. Such small minds.

Another fan of Aldi's here! We buy most of our groceries here! Just recently tried their garbage bags and dishwasher tabs. Love them!

I saw a lady with a cart load of cat sand. I asked her about it. She said she really likes. I tried and I really like it. Seemed to work better on odors. I switched between Aldi and the Tidy Cat.
That's great to know. Thank you! I think I'll try some next time.

I went to Aldi's for the fist time the other day. I was disappointed. I don't buy processed foods, so that eliminates many things they have. I also buy organic produce and meats, and I didn't see any of that at our Aldi's. I won't be going back.

Yay our store started taking credit cards last week! I hate having to go to the bank for cash and it's a fact that people spend more when they can use credit so its a win win for customers and the store alike!
I also buy organic produce and meats, and I didn't see any of that at our Aldi's. I won't be going back.
My friend is a manager and said that all Aldi's have an organic product section and many organic every day items. I'm not sure about the meats. And the prices for those items are great! I also love their Triscuit and wheat thins which are half the price and just as good same with their tortilla chips and salsa.

We really like Aldi! And yes, it really is cheaper! I am shocked how much I save over our other local stores. When I get things from other stores, I"m always pained at how little food I get! Ours has started taking Credit Cards, not just debit so that was really nice. I also do appreciate how small the store is. I can get in and out a lot quicker! We buy all our produce there that we can. Quality is the same as our local grocery store or better and usually way better than our local Super Walmart. They have organic options that are cheap, and a decent gluten free section. They have organic frozen fruit, and other either organic or all natural type products. They also have a GREAT cheese section that is reasonably priced.

There are just a few things we buy at the regular store over the Aldi brand. Spaghetti sauce, frozen pizza (we like the pizza in the "fresh" case, but not the frozen) and boxed mac and cheese off the top of my head (kids still only like Kraft!). I will say I don't buy much meat there as we usually get chicken and beef direct from farmers, but picked up hamburger, etc and it's always been fine.

Price wise what I had noticed was, I've done the Grocery Game in the past (you pay a subscription fee, they track prices at your store, match up with coupons, etc. and tell you when to buy what when it's at it's lowest price and it's matched with a coupon.) THe prices I was paying using this service were the same as what Aldi's everyday prices were. Except I didn't have to stock up on an item once every 6 weeks when it was on sale and spend all that time cutting coupons!

Honestly I was skeptical of aldi years back, but I love it! I shop at aldi, costco a local chain where I get boars head lunch meat and target for a few items I can't get at the others. Costco and target I hit once a month and stock up and the other two are once a week. Aldi runs me between 70-130 depending how much organic I grab. Some weeks they have a lot so I will really stock up on them because I know next week they'll be gone. There are times where I'll grab 15-20 of something because they may only get them once a month. Luckily I have two refrigerators and a stand up freezer in my basement along with what my husband lovingly calls the zombie apocalypse food pantry. There are 5 of us and my kids and their friends can do some serious damage so I like to be well stocked.

Our Aldi accepts cash and debit only and sells fresh meat and produce. They are a small store, but cover most of the basics. Their prices usually can't be beat, but as others have mentioned, they aren't national brands. I particularly like them for kids snacks, nuts/trail mix, cereals, produce, and grains (quinoa and cous cous). I alternate between Aldi and another discount store once a month, then go to a typical grocery store to finish the list.

zombie apocalypse food pantry.

Ha, I love it! We couldn't live without our freezer.

There are two things I dislike about Aldi. Our produce goes fast. Want a $1.29 pineapple? Get in line at opening Wednesday morning when the ad changes. If you shop after 11am, you get nothing.

Also, they have random awesome things. They had a curry/Indian sauce recently. Well I just now used it, and my family loved it. Guess what? That was a one time sauce. So now when I get something in the specialty section we eat it that week so I can go back for more if we like it.

There are two things I dislike about Aldi. Our produce goes fast. Want a $1.29 pineapple? Get in line at opening Wednesday morning when the ad changes. If you shop after 11am, you get nothing.

Also, they have random awesome things. They had a curry/Indian sauce recently. Well I just now used it, and my family loved it. Guess what? That was a one time sauce. So now when I get something in the specialty section we eat it that week so I can go back for more if we like it.

We are lucky to have 4 aldi stores within 15 minutes of us in different directions. Ours is usually well stocked most of the week, but it is nice to have other ones I can hit up if I want something specific. I do agree there are some things that don't come very often, but I notice the majority of specials in our area are available every other month at least. I think it may vary by location and what the demand is. We have tons of gluten free and organic options and I've heard that some don't have a big selection. Ours also has a big selection of gourmet coffee.

I absolutely love aldi. My husband was a bit turned off by it initially bit when he saw how much produce we can get he has changed his tune. I was shopping at a small deli on Sunday and the lady in front me got eggs, milk and some produce and spent over $60 for two bags. I looked at my husband and reminded him why we shop at aldi. Love that place!

Wow all the ALDI love in here lol. my experience is not the same...

first off, i didn't know what ALDI was when it popped up. I heard it was less expensive so I dropped by one day to buy a few items I needed and to check it out..

No quarter :( was shocked I didn't have another option to get a cart but I had my 5 yr old with me so we made due. lol.
Inside the place doesnt have a happy vibe. It's like shopping at a dollar store, everyone is all pissy feeling.
I was able to find the frozen waffles I went there for and they were just what I needed, they are an ALDI brand so I can only get them there.
The other few items I got ended up costing the same if not more than my local HEB.
Checking out luckily I had cash to cover the few items I got because I expected a credit card option lol.
Then the check out lady didn't bag my items because they don't have bags so my son and I had to carry them off in our hands lol.. again I didn't know.

I went back a few times because the waffles fit my macros at the time and I craved them but after that I quit. It wasn't worth it to me and the experience was just blah.. much happier going to HEB and seeing smiling faces.. now someone posted something about dollar eggs and 1.50 milk or something like that. WOW! that is a bit cheaper and I guess if I was to save 50% like some have said I might consider going there.

I agree - our produce goes FAST, too. I was there at 9:45am Sunday and got the last $1.98 2lb bag of grapes...funny enough they still had plenty of $1.69/pint blueberries (I really thought it was gonna be the reverse, but I guess grapes haven't been on sale for awhile around here:)...I think they restock it as trucks come in through the day, but I hate to gamble on the truck deliverer and prefer my weekend trips to be early...

I went to Aldi's for the fist time the other day. I was disappointed. I don't buy processed foods, so that eliminates many things they have. I also buy organic produce and meats, and I didn't see any of that at our Aldi's. I won't be going back.

Every Aldi I have been to has one half of their produce section organic and one half "regular". I do not have experience with the meat because we get most of our meat from my parents' farm.

Many of their packaged items are also organic. They have a brand called "Simply Nature" that is 100%USDA organic. I have purchased their grains like quinoa and farro as well as some canned goods like black beans.

They do have lots of processed foods, but so does every other grocery store I've been to.

I have a few family members with celiac and Aldi has lots of gluten free items that I will pick up for convenience if they are visiting.

No quarter :( was shocked I didn't have another option to get a cart but I had my 5 yr old with me so we made due. lol.
Inside the place doesnt have a happy vibe. It's like shopping at a dollar store, everyone is all pissy feeling.
I was able to find the frozen waffles I went there for and they were just what I needed, they are an ALDI brand so I can only get them there.
The other few items I got ended up costing the same if not more than my local HEB.
Checking out luckily I had cash to cover the few items I got because I expected a credit card option lol.
Then the check out lady didn't bag my items because they don't have bags so my son and I had to carry them off in our hands lol.. again I didn't know.

I could definitely see how it could be a bit annoying if you were not familiar with their policies before going. (I checked them out online first so I knew what to expect about the shopping carts, bags, and cash/debit only.)

I think the vibe depends on your location. I have been to a few in NY that were pretty grumpy, but the ones where I live in NC are super friendly. Whenever I go it's usually mostly old people and very friendly employees who are always looking to help. I have only used a quarter to get a cart a handful of times because people usually give them away rather than get their quarter refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter