Alcohol-To take or not to take?

mrsavee8r

Earning My Ears
DH was wondering if we would be better off to take a small bottle of alcohol to mix with soda or get a beer mug (or card) to refill? Has anyone ever purchased a beer mug that you can refill for reduced rates? What do they cost? We are sailing on the Wonder Sept 29-Oct 2. Neither of us are big drinkers however we would enjoy a drink or two. Just wondering if they would be worth the cost.

I did and it is sitting on my chelf as "decor" now.

However, I found I did not use it much, as I didn't want to carry it around all day (Now, how would that look?).

We had a great time bring some bailey's Irish Cream on with us.

It was great!

Jim

Thanks Jim---that is a valid point.(having to carry it around) We are going with our 5 yr old. I am leaning towards packing a small bottle.

We took a 12 pack and a bottle of wine...the twelve pack arrived at our cabin half broken....so next time we will carry on!
I plan on bringing beer and wine this cruise and buying rum or liquor on the islands.

On our wonder cruise we didn't even touch the alcohol we brought with, took it all back home. On our magic cruise..we drank a little bit, and because you can't take it back off the ship with you once you open it we ended up giving almost full bottles to our dining room server.

Hubby and I decided it is not worth lugging alcohol with us anymore.

The only thing we really used up was the bottled water. We take a case in our suitcase with our small collapsable cooler, use it in the cabin and we have that space in the suitecase for souveniers on the trip home. Works great.

I read on a different thread that Shirely at "the Perfect Gift" will deliver your alcohol to your room. That might be a possiblity for you. We are considering it so we don't have to carry it on the ship. :)

Ok---hold up---you can bring alcohol on the cruise with you??? I thought you weren't supossed to bring on any drinks at all???

DCL does not have any restrictions on carrying alcohol onboard other than it must be carried on (due to breakage). We carried on one bottle of each of our favorites (one Whiskey, on Vanilla Vodka) for in the room. Then we also bought the beer mug for around $10.00. After that it was only like $2.00 to fill it, and being beer drinkers it was well worth it. Especially since the draught beer was super cold!!!! We used them a couple of the afternoons at sea and nights when we knew we'd be drinking alot of beer. I liked it. My husband thought it was a pain. I really like the tall mug though and it is my only DCL souviner. (Not my only trip souviner, just DCL).

That's the best news I've heard all day!!! Thanks! I'll be sure to pick up the mug too!

Thanks all!!---I think it's 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of another...I'm thinking the mug would be well worth it for my Hubby.

the nice part about the mug is that you can take it home as a souvenier as well as use it onboard. When i am home, I use it for margaritas...this year we will buy another mug so that we have a matching pair! I think it was about $5-6 including gratuity to fill it up each time....

You can buy a beer mug and have it refilled ? did not see this last year on the Wonder...

And I just booked another 3 nighter for next Thursday... I guess I will have to look for it..
:cool1:

DCL drinks are fairly reasonably priced. Particularly their drink of the day (usually some sort of fruity rum thing - girl drinks).

If you stick to one type (i.e. rum for rum and cokes) of drink, and will consume most of a bottle, its probably worthwhile to haul it on - though the drink station is not terribly convienent and hauling the bottle around will be awkward. Going up four flights for a coke and going back down four flights to add rum cuts into your drinking time. If you require multiple bottles because you like variety or you like complicated drinks, it becomes less worth while.

We were thinking of bringing a bottle of something with us this time around. I was thinking even if DH and I made one drink each, each day we'l save atleast...$50 minus the cost of the bottle... :rolleyes: But having the ablity to set back and relax while someone else makes it...sound good also. So we haven't decided if we'll pack a bottle along or not.

I think having the option is very nice.

I've started to lean more toward having a gift basket delivered to our stateroom with a 12pk of beer....something like that could be kept chilled in the cooler in the room...and be as easy as grabing, opening and either pooring into a DCL mug or taking the bottle along.

I bought my wife and I an stainless 8oz flask, just in case at the pool we want to give our drinks a little oomph :banana:

We brought a case of beer & pop in a wheel-on cooler and had Shirley put a 12 pack in our basket that was delivered. We didn't really do it to save money, it was more of convenience. We had a balcony that we spent time relaxing on and it was nice just to reach into our cooler and have a cold beer or soda without having to run up to one of the bars. We also bought alcohol when we were on deck or at dinner etc. But, you couldn't beat the convenience of having it right it your stateroom if you were so inclined.

Jenn

jdm said:
We brought a case of beer & pop in a wheel-on cooler and had Shirley put a 12 pack in our basket that was delivered. We didn't really do it to save money, it was more of convenience. We had a balcony that we spent time relaxing on and it was nice just to reach into our cooler and have a cold beer or soda without having to run up to one of the bars. We also bought alcohol when we were on deck or at dinner etc. But, you couldn't beat the convenience of having it right it your stateroom if you were so inclined.

Jenn

Just curious about the wheel-on cooler......Were you able to carry on the plane or did it have to be checked? Im assuming it's a good size given you were able to fit 2 cases of bevrage into it. I might definitely consider this option for our cruise in October.

Thanks for the help.

Helene

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter