Alcohol Policy Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the people that don't drink get on this thread and flame us - it makes you wonder what their point is? Why get on this thread at all if you don't drink? The topic is obviously not a concern for them so why? Maybe hazing people makes them feel better, but quite frankly we are celebrating tonight and I am reading this while our prime rib cooks with a cherry limeade martini! :lovestruc and now I am not headed to an AA meeting tomorrow! :rotfl:

I guess it's kind of the same thing as what happens when someone (innocently) asks where they are allowed to smoke onboard.
DOZENS...or maybe even hundreds....of non-smokers always show up to toss their opinions into the fray.:confused3

I have a couple of friends who attend AA meetings....kind of sad that you can make a joke of that.:sad2:

Actually, there's nothing in the contract at all about bringing alcohol onboard.
And you're right, they do have their own "opt out" options.
Everything is at the discretion of the cruise line, or the Master (Captain).

Although there isn't anything about bringing alcohol - that was their stated policy at the time that there was a "meeting of the minds" and the contract was made when we paid in full. Therefore, they are changing policy that was part of a decision people made when they made their cruise purchase contract which is still bad business which is hopefully now at least temporarily irrelevant if the policy has indeed been repealed for now. However, this point is the root of the policy that has created a huge thread in 24 hours or so. quite a hot topic I will say :rolleyes1

Seriously? You weren't accosted the whole first day onboard, with CM's asking you to buy the Wine Package??

Or the waiters and waitresses in the lounges walking by every 5 minutes, asking if you want a drink?

Or out by the pool........I don't know where you were, but I've always gotten asked about 100 times per cruise.

I didn't experience any of this. Maybe I don't look like a drinker? :confused3

The bottom line is that we all have our own reasons to justify what makes something we invest in worth it.

I have been on one Disney Cruise, I just was on a Royal Caribbean, and are booked for Disney in April (for which we can still cancel). Being in the restaurant business and liking good food & service, and being able to bring the wines onboard that I like, justified me paying WAY more for Disney than I would on another cruise line. This particular policy change bothers me personally, because it does hit my pocket book big time given the quality of wines we like because and because of what is important to us. If a policy change would hit others in areas that they liked, they would be upset too.

So, its very disappointing. But we have choices. I will say one thing. If we do go onto the Disney Cruise (that we currently have booked), and the alcohol policy has been changed, but then the quality of the food AND the service has gone down (all of which are the reasons we will pay more for this cruise line), then it would be my last.
:confused3

The contract doesn't say anything at all about carrying on alcohol...but it does say this:

"This Cruise Contract is valid only for the Guest named hereon for the voyage indicated and is not transferable or assignable without the Carrier's written consent. Passage money and charges prepaid shall be deemed fully earned when paid and shall not be refunded in whole or in part under any circumstances whatsoever except in compliance with that section of the Carrier's brochure entitled "Cancellations/Refunds" applicable to the voyage for which passage is arranged under this Cruise Contract."

It does not say anything about alcohol, Agreed.

But it also does not state in my fully paid contract that I am limited to only 2 bottles of wine. Which for me is fine, I do not drink much of anything else besides beer, and I purchase all of my beer onboard. I like tap beer.

To change a contract after it has been paid in full, you as the customer should have the ability to cancel with no penalty, as the contract has changed.

I don't drink alcohol, so DCL's current policy doesn't benefit me, and their proposed change makes no difference to me. I just find it funny that so many are upset about the possibility that the amount and type of alcohol you can bring onboard might be limited. You'd think you guys had the DTs and you need your fix! :rotfl2:

This is exactly what I found so fascinating about this thread......:thumbsup2

Sometimes I DO take on my favorite wine, sometimes I don't....but if it weren't allowed, like on some cruise lines, OH WELL.....I'd either not drink at all, or pay for it onboard.
It just is NOT that big a deal.

Everyone forgets that Disney is a company who CAN change their policies whenever they feel like it. They are in business to make money. Just look at how much they charge for food in the parks......

It does not say anything about alcohol, Agreed.

But it also does not state in my fully paid contract that I am limited to only 2 bottles of wine. Which for me is fine, I do not drink much of anything else besides beer, and I purchase all of my beer onboard. I like tap beer.

To change a contract after it has been paid in full, you as the customer should have the ability to cancel with no penalty, as the contract has changed.

But that's just it.....no one was/is changing anything that's IN THE CONTRACT.

There was an "Alcohol Policy"......not contractual....and policies can be changed by the owner of a business any time they feel like it.

I'm not against taking alcohol onboard...and I am not calling anyone drunks, or whatever.
I AM amazed that this has caused such an uproar. If DCL had decided to change their policy, there wouldn't be anything anyone could do about it.
And I'm laying down good money right now, to bet that they WILL change the policy at some time in the future.

As I look into my crystal ball, I predict that the policy WILL change in the future, but with more advance notice.

Well is there any point worrying or discussing it now, until it does happen as you predict?

Who know's what the "New New" policy could be if they do reintroduce it?

Ex Techie :)

Well is there any point worrying or discussing it now, until it does happen as you predict?

I'm not the least bit worried, but others have certainly gotten their knickers twisted about this!

I agree, when I purchase my next Disney cruise, at least the policy will be there at time of purchase.

I can totally understand why people would get mad when thier policy does change and dcl continues to charge such the prices they do to sail with them. But with the two new ships filling to capacity like they are I guess they know the ball is in thier court.

DCL's drink prices are cheaper than the drinks at Epcot.

I guess we all need to wait and see the official word from DCL. Also, how this change affects what can be brought back onto the ship in ports.

There is No tax on alcohol on Board. so Hard liquor cost less in general.
and on other cruise line like HAL they do not have limits on Wine.

Karl

Anyone who took booze onboard took advantage of what I perceive as a loophole (totally my opinion), me included (several times!) but it does clearly state at the port with a sign (that has always been there) that NO ALCOHOL IS PERMITTED. They have just chosen not to enforce it before this.

MJ

I wonder if that means no DRINKING alcohol at the port, or in the terminal?:scratchin

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter