Alcohol Policy Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay...just want y'all to know...I've got on my big-boy flame-proof underwear...and I only read the first page of this thread...so here goes...

is drinking alcohol such a part of your life that you'd change vacation plans over it?

Can you not have fun without it?

Before you let me have it...read back through all your posts and listen to some of you.

I was not raised in a "drinking home"...nor do I have alcohol in my home today...so I guess it just shocks me when I read a thread such as this.

Not Judging...just asking.

Please be nice...I have feelings too. :lovestruc

The new policy won't change the way I vacation however I do take exception to your post. I don't drink at home and I wasn't raised in a "drinking " home whatever you mean by that, I don't know but I do, absolutly drink on vacation because I can, I don't have to drive anywhere and I don't have to worry I will be late for something. SO I can see how it would change someones experience, I am too lazy to bring the ingredients for what I like to drink so I do order from the bar,

Is drinking alcohol such a part of your life that you'd change vacation plans over it?

For me, it's more the principle of the thing. If Disney is going to erode away at the perks, but keep their prices they way they are, then, what's the point of sailing Disney? :confused3 Carnival also has a 1 bottle per person/per cruise rule. We are not going to change our cruise because of this, but it's one less "pro" in the Disney column.

Even with the price of Disney cruise's being more than other cruise lines, I can't imagine cruising anywhere else. I'm willing to pay for the Disney experience every time or not go at all.

I'm sure you're the kind of consumer that Disney just loves.

Okay...just want y'all to know...I've got on my big-boy flame-proof underwear...and I only read the first page of this thread...so here goes...
If you *had* read the entire thread, you would've noticed it's less about the change, and more about the timing! Just saying...

is drinking alcohol such a part of your life that you'd change vacation plans over it?
No, not entirely - but that's not really the point (see my last comment)... But, yes, I *may* be changing my plans some - like not taking that excursion in Cabo so I can afford to pay for the extra few drinks I may want on board! And that *is* a change in my plans, is it not?

Yes, but I also enjoy my alcohol, too...

Before you let me have it...read back through all your posts and listen to some of you.

I was not raised in a "drinking home"...nor do I have alcohol in my home today...so I guess it just shocks me when I read a thread such as this.

While I understand you were trying not to judge, comments like "Can you not have fun without it?" and "...listen to some of you" can come off as judgemental! :) And telling us to "read back through all your posts..." is a bit funny, as you stated that you only read the first page!

Well, I hope I was nice enough for you, as i wasn't trying to be mean, just wanting to reply to each of your comments. Having a MR cruise booked for 10/16 this fall, this change (if it's even true) *does* piss me off, a lot - because it means I'm going to have to adjust my already thin budget. Will it change my plans to try to book my next cruise online? Maybe - but only to encourage me to, so I can score some extra OBC to pay for my drinks on my next cruise!

I also grew up in a house where adults didn't drink alcohol much - not because they were against it, but because my parents didn't have a taste for it.

I have plenty of fun without alcohol on a daily basis.

I also have plenty of fun WITH alcohol when I choose to do so.

Glasses of wine on the ship are minimum $10 (+tip). Let's say my group of four adults averages two glasses of wine a night on our 7-night MR cruise. That's $80 per night, or $560 for the trip. That's a lot of money.

Alcohol is not "such a part of my life" that it would alter my plans. However, there is already a significant premium we pay to sail DCL, so that extra $560+ would make me much more open to considering other cruise lines.

I do not drink much at all but hope this is not true. I guess what really bothers me is yet another cutback while cruise prices continue to rise. That is what will eventually end up making me consider another cruise line.

I am still upset that DCL no longer has a Steel Drum Band. Yes, I have to throw that one out there at least once a year.:laughing:

Doesnt really effect me at all, I have no taste for alcohol but this is clearly about the bottom line for Disney no doubt. I guess they are seeing this as a potential way of making more of a profit.

MTE! :thumbsup2
I could not possibly care less about this info. My poor DH will be overjoyed! Last 2 cruises I have made a big deal about bringing a 6 pack of beer onboard and left beer in the fridge each time. I can't even drink a 6 pack on 5 day cruises. :rotfl:
I can't imagine changing lines because of this personally. But.... they mess with Mickey Bars and my claws come out!

I guess I'm a whimp, ;) I don't want to carry heavy alcohol in my bag, never brought it on a cruise. I sometimes order a drink with dinner. But mainly we seem to buy alcohol at the ports. (rum Caribbean/ tequilia Mexico) :goodvibes

But making a policy change without sufficient notice is not cool.

Granted it is cheaper to bring your own booze onboard but currently I do not find the prices on DCL outrageous for "by the glass" drinks....I do think they mark up the wine bottle prices heavily.

I find cocktails less expensive onboard than in most land based bars/lounges.

We will all have to see how it plays out but it would certainly not deter me from cruising with DCL.

MJ

My fear is that, while on-board drinks may not be outrageously priced NOW, if they limit the amount of alcohol you can take on-board, then their on-board prices will inevitably go up for mixed drinks! In the new memo that was posted, it didn't say that ANY bottles of hard alcohol were allowed at all! That tells me that that's their primary focus - limiting hard alcohol so they can sell more mixed drinks on-board.

And frankly, it's a supply and demand thing. If they limit the supply (meaning, you can't bring your own or you can't bring as much of it), then the demand for on-board drinks will also go up. No, not every single person who brings alcohol on-board the ship will suddenly start buying drinks on-board, but some will. And then, the prices of said drinks will sky rocket because there's no competition.

I enjoy a drink now and again, and if I have to pay for it on-board the ship, then we'll do that. I don't go on vacation to get drunk - neither FH nor I are huge drinkers so I can't say that this devastates me... but it is a little upsetting. :cool:

I do not drink at home unless going out. There is nothing I love more than sitting up on deck having a drink but as others have said not bringing on will have me rebudget.

Ok this is on page 2 under Vacation checklist of my disney cruise planning book that I just got last Saturday for Oct. 1 sailing on magic.
Review our alcohol policy. Plase be sure to review our full alcohol policy prior to departure. A limited quanity of alcohol is allowed per guest(21 years of age and older) in carry- on bags only. for full details, vist disneycruise.com

This was exact wording. So take from it what you might, I personally am not hauling any booze on so that's more for someone else.

I don't think people are complaining so much about "needing alcohol" as much as "losing a perk". I think it would be the same complaints if say Disney proposed "everyone gets choice of one meal @ dinner" ie: not allowing you to order multiple entrees. Or not allowing kids to order off adult menu anymore. I personally never even finish my 1 meal so that would be fine by me. My DH would have a problem w/ it though :lmao:. He'd feel "i paid, i should get as many entrees as i want" My DD doesn't order off the adult menu. So a "rule" like that wouldn't phase me in the least. My aunts kids however, ALWAYS ordered off the adult menu. She would feel "cheated" & may consider pro & cons of paying more for Disney if that "perk" was gone. So to say "is alcohol such a part of your life?" really is not fair. Different people enjoy different perks. Some perks that you may enjoy, may not matter to some cruisers.;)

First off I think we all need to just "Take a Breath":rolleyes1 & wait to see if this potential change is actually True. Secondly, I agree with the folks that posted that changes like this require more advanced notice; e.g. at least 75 days.

Lastly I really don't have an issue with these "potential" changes, we sometimes bring a bottle of wine on board, so it sounds like we'd still be in compliance.
I do find it troubling that some folks would actually cancel or never book another Disney cruise again due to the amount of liquor they could bring on board; but hey that's just me... :cool1:

Some one made a very good point in reference to the quality of "drink" they bring onboard...is nice that you can bring what you like...price wise, quality wise...1. In case they don"t have it...and 2. Don't pay the outrageous price.

My apologies as i"m getting the gist of the thread now...buy not allowing carry. -ons...just another way to stick it to you.

For me, it's more the principle of the thing. If Disney is going to erode away at the perks, but keep their prices they way they are, then, what's the point of sailing Disney? ... We are not going to change our cruise because of this, but it's one less "pro" in the Disney column.

Totally agree! :thumbsup2And let me start by saying that DCL is our hands-down favorite, but taking away the little 'extras' leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

We usually bring on a bottle of wine and a bottle of rum, so we're not a couple of lushes, and we CAN have fun without alcohol, but still enjoy grown-up drinks in moderation. Let's face it...It's cheaper to carry on your rum for a rum-and-coke than to buy them from the bar.

It just seems that after this, the next thing to go will be the free goodies at Cove Cafe and then the free soda/drink station. All of these certainly add up in cost. If all of the perks are gone, I'm paying a pretty stiff premium for my picture with Mickey. For the cost of DCL, Mickey and Minnie will have to start throwing in a lap dance to make it worth the price of the cruise. (Just kidding about the lap dance...of course!)

No big deal. DCL's new policy is still much more liberal than most other cruise lines. Surprised it took this long to occur.

I don't remember how much, but it was a lot for a beer, I got the same size can for 5 bucks cheaper at House of Blues. PNC one place I said forget the beer:lmao:

:lmao: took DD to see Selena Gomez @ the Bank of America Pavillion in Boston last week & beer was $12/can or $12 for 22oz drafts! There better be diamonds at the bottom of that can!:rotfl:

DCL's drink prices are cheaper than the drinks at Epcot.

I guess we all need to wait and see the official word from DCL. Also, how this change affects what can be brought back onto the ship in ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter