• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

I think this has ceased to be an intelligent conversation. It's pretty moot right now; there is alcohol at BOG, so Walt's wishes from 50 years ago are not being honored anyway.

I'm sure there will be alcohol in other parts of MK at some point. I'm sure there will still be 'magic' in MK and children will not be harmed by the addition of alcohol.

I can understand your position, however I do not agree. The fact they did not put alcohol in the new Skippers Canteen rest. leads me to believe the alcohol sales may not be doing well. Who knows, in the future, they may back track. In fairness is this likely NO.

There are many people how agree with my position and my reasons quite strong. I realize right now that I am in the minority, but I will happily continue to debate with anyone who is polite about it. Others the ignore button works wonders.

AKK

Last edited:
There are two major flaws in your argument. First, that magic is real. And second, to the extent that magic is real, that alcohol is a solvent that dissolves said magic. There is no point debating the first, but the second warrants further explanation. What evidence is there that alcohol erodes magic? One could just as easily say that baseball caps erode magic, and no one should be allowed to wear baseball caps in the park. There is just as much evidence of that as there is that the beer and wine being served in BoG is chipping away at whatever magic may exist in the Magic Kingdom. If you can show that Disneyland and/or Disneyland Paris are materially less "magical" than the Magic Kingdom, then your position might gather some steam. But for page after page now, all you do is declare through contradiction that alcohol destroys magic without a sliver of proof or support. Apply some logic to test your hypothesis. If alcohol destroys magic, and alcohol is served in Animal Kingdom and Disneyland Paris, than ipso facto, neither Animal Kingdom nor Disneyland Paris can be magical. It just doesn't work. Further, if alcohol destroys magic and alcohol is served in Be Our Guest, then the Magic Kingdom is decidedly less magical than it was three years ago. For your argument to be true, both of the preceding statements must be true. But where is the proof of either?
Excellent post.

I think it would be a good thing to be able to have a drink with dinner, but don't think kiosks would be necessary as in Epcot. That said, I think it is very honorable of Disney World to not choose to sell alcohol at the Magic Kingdom, especially since they are losing revenue by doing so. I like to have a drink with a meal, and have never seen people getting out of hand at the other resorts that do serve it. Conversely, I have seen a lot of bad alcohol related behavior at Universal. I think the Disney culture keeps people from doing it, or maybe its the pixie dust. don't know which.

This thread is starting to resemble a tantrum of a three year old who is asked why they want something.. and the toddler replies "Because!!"
No real proof or even no real argument. Just "because."

Not to mention the concept of "magic" being discussed as though it is a thing. By adults.

I consistently feel more "magic" at the Universal parks (where such a thing is not attempted) than at MK. At MK I feel tension pressure stress and expectations to feel nothing but joy. Ugh, who needs that?

Single best day I've had at Disneyland park was after Club33 and their faboo maitai. Took all those "should dos" and tossed them out the window.

Respect Walt and the tradition of a alcohol free MK, in the park that makes every child and adult for that matter glow with joy is not such a unreasonable thing to do.

There is no reason to have alcohol in the mk. Those that enjoy a drink can get it in a hundred different places. and Disney has proved they don't control it. This is clearly demonstrated in Epcot and the drunk problem there, which has been reported many times by other posters and seen by my family and friends as well a number of times, not to mention that the problem is driving guests away.

We are not talking logic here, we are talking tradition, emotions and magic and the wonder of the Park unmatched in the world.

No by it self BOG is not the problem, though I find it distasteful and unnecessary in the MK. It's that, if it is expanded and we end up with beer and booze carts around the MK, it will destroy the magic of a very unique park.

We are not talking about the AK or HS, this is a very different and special places, MK and DL. Paris is a different culture all together.

Keep it/ take it out totally prevents a problem growing.

We discussed this before. I don't expect the MK to be alcohol free again, but I will use very straight forward and logical reasoning as to why it should be. Mostly because no one can say why the MK should/ needs to have alcohol, when there is a hundred other places to get what they want.

I understand your position. But I will disagree on two points. There is no evidence that alcohol in BOG is the start of a slippery slope to beer and wine carts throughout the park. That is a very different from what it actually is at this moment.

I also strongly object to the blanket statement "Epcot and the drunk problem there because it is simply not true. And even supposing it were true, it doesn't extrapolate to the MK even IF they put had as much alcohol available because more adults go to EPCOT and more families with young children go to MK. Two different audiences.

I understand your position. But I will disagree on two points. There is no evidence that alcohol in BOG is the start of a slippery slope to beer and wine carts throughout the park. That is a very different from what it actually is at this moment.

I also strongly object to the blanket statement "Epcot and the drunk problem there because it is simply not true. And even supposing it were true, it doesn't extrapolate to the MK even IF they put had as much alcohol available because more adults go to EPCOT and more families with young children go to MK. Two different audiences.

OK. yes it is nothing like that NOW!......unfortunately there is evidence of a slippery slope, because that is what happened in Ecpot..........what started with beer, wine and drinks in the restaurants, slowly spread to carts in every corner available and now at the times I mentioned (no I agree not a blanket all the time) it is a problem.

Yes a different audience and a such, why then have the alcohol then at all in the MK????..it is not needed.

As I have mentioned before I really don't expect the MK to be alcohol free, I can only hope it stays as it is now.

AKK

If that is the case, than there is no reason to believe that adding alcohol to TS restaurants is a slippery slope.

I never said it was. I was just pointing out they may not be selling enough to make adding TS restaurants to those with alcohol to make money. who knows if they are not selling enough, maybe they will make the MK a free zone again! I could be wrong. The Epcot problem indicates some different problems, one the slippery slope.

In any case there is no reason to add alcohol to the MK for all the reason I have quoted. Anyone wishing a drink can easily go to one of the hundred or so other places in WDW and have a drink if they wish.

Last edited:
OK. yes it is nothing like that NOW!......unfortunately there is evidence of a slippery slope, because that is what happened in Ecpot..........what started with beer, wine and drinks in the restaurants, slowly spread to carts in every corner available and now at the times I mentioned (no I agree not a blanket all the time) it is a problem.

Yes a different audience and a such, why then have the alcohol then at all in the MK????..it is not needed.

As I have mentioned before I really don't expect the MK to be alcohol free, I can only hope it stays as it is now.

AKK

Somehow I don't think they have the room in MK to hold a Food and Wine Festival.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they did start offering alcohol at the Skipper's Canteen. They need to do something to bring in guests.

AKK

I never said it was. I was just pointing out they may not be selling enough to make adding TS restaurants to those with alcohol to make money. who knows if they are not selling enough, maybe they will make the MK a free zone again! I could be wrong. The Epcot problem indicates some different problems, one the slippery slope.

In any case there is no reason to add alcohol to the MK for all the reason I have quoted. Anyone wishing a drink can easily go to one of the hundred or so other places in WDW and have a drink if they wish.

What happens to your slippery slope argument when you consider both AK and HS have not only alcohol sales in the restaurant but also in the park at kiosks? Do they also have, as you call it, a drunk problem?

Somehow I don't think they have the room in MK to hold a Food and Wine Festival.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they did start offering alcohol at the Skipper's Canteen. They need to do something to bring in guests.

I never said they were bringing a F and W into the MK. I was referring to the slippery slope of increased drinking in Epcot, which has created the drinking problem there. during F and w on weekends.

I do hope your wrong about the Skippers Canteen. Who knows, maybe they will simply decide they are not selling enough to make it worth while and they may just take it out of BOG and bring the MK make to no alcohol at all.

AKK

Last edited:

You've already said that you believe the alcohol sales at BOG are not doing well. You've already said you don't want the MK to become the slippery slope that you say Epcot has become.

My point is, if BOG is not selling enough alcohol to make it worth it for their sales, what difference will it make if it's added to other TS restaurants? There is no slippery slope, if not many people are interested in buying the alcohol at MK anyways. Let the few, who do wish to have an alcoholic beverage with dinner, have one.

MK doesn't need to serve alcohol. Shots of whiskey & it's a small world don't go together. o_O Like....go to the nightclub?:confused3

You've already said that you believe the alcohol sales at BOG are not doing well. You've already said you don't want the MK to become the slippery slope that you say Epcot has become.

My point is, if BOG is not selling enough alcohol to make it worth it for their sales, what difference will it make if it's added to other TS restaurants? There is no slippery slope, if not many people are interested in buying the alcohol at MK anyways. Let the few, who do wish to have an alcoholic beverage with dinner, have one.

That I did say!.......but that is only a opinion, I have no facts regarding sales at BOG. The slippery slope to me is additional places with alcohol sales. If you read he 2nd part of my post you will see *In any case there is no reason to add alcohol to the MK for all the reason I have quoted* As some have repeatedly pointed out BOG is already there.........

AKK

For those that believe having beer & wine at BOG is wrong can I assume you have not and will never eat there?

Sorry to report but sales looked quite robust the few times I have been lucky enough to get a reservation. And for good reason. The wine list was very thoughtfully chosen with the menu in mind. And the servers are very well trained in pairing.

Why oh why would anyone cheer if this wonderful restaurant stopped offering this experience?

im a smoker & would like to smoke where ever i want but realize its not appropriate..neither is alcohol..while realizing that drink is fine in moderation the reality is many dont see that moderation and who wants that around families with children...People are quick to blast smokers but alcohol is far worse..Would you choose to stand yr child next to a group of smokers or next to a group of drunks!!! I realize this is not discussing drunks merely a drink with dinner but unfortunately we cannot afford to take that chance for the ones that take advantage...

That chance was taken in Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom so families with children are around it with every visit to these parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter