Alcohol at Be Our Guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only problem with the whole thing is this, and it is my opinion of what I think will happen. I forsee that the BOG will be very successful due to the alcohol.The higher ups will notice this success and they will want more success/money. Thus more establishments will serve, and more and more alcohol will be present at the kingdom. I don't think that is a good thing. Once the first one opens it all starts! Now remember this is just my hypothosis!

A lot of people share your thought on this.

Here is my thought:

Since BoG will serve alcohol on opening day, how will they know THAT is what causes the restaurant to be a success and not the fact that it is (presumably) a well themed restaurant with a good menu? If I heard correctly, dinner was booked solid through the end of the year before alcohol was even mentioned.

Now that is a good point, but lets turn it around..............there is nothing to say he would have changed his mind.

my feelings are simple............the magic and pixie dust of the MK is partly due to the lack of drinking in the park. My proof is easy,look at the problems in EPCOT now( and yes I bleive it will not be just BOG in the MK), especailly around F and W.

AKK

Right, there's nothing to say he would have changed his mind and nothing to say he wouldn't have. Again, nobody knows what he would have wanted. That's why I think people are having a hard time with the "Walt would've been so upset with this" attitude. At the time he didn't want it, if he was alive today there's really no telling.

I respect your feelings on the situation :-)flower3:) but my feelings are different. I have taken numerous trips to WDW, and even worked at Epcot. I can honestly say, I never saw a huge problem with drunk people. I understand other people have different experiences, but I never saw somebody too drunk to function. I've also never seen somebody obnoxiously drunk at AK, DHS, or the water parks, where alcohol is also served. What's to say MK will be like how some people imagine Epcot is, and not what AK or DHS are; parks that are fun to visit, hold special places in our hearts, are incredibly magical, and just so happen to allow adults to enjoy alcoholic beverages.

In all seriousness, without an ounce of "attack" intended, can you posit exactly how many people per day will:

a) Be seated for dinner at BoG;
b) Will be adults;
c) Will choose to consume beer and/or wine; and
d) Will be permitted by the staff (through oversight, neglect, or blatant disregard for stated policy), to abuse the privilege?

I am truly curious how many people the naysayers think will fall into this category. So please. Anyone can chime in. Because for this to be a serious problem that "seriously changes the MK", the number has to be orders of magnitude larger than any I can envision. Lots of generalizations have been spouted off here. But how about some specifics. If you think the Gestalt of the MK is going to change, you must have some vision of what the future will look like. Please share.

Great post! This is in a controlled dining situation. Not a margarita fountain on Main Street!:confused3

Wow. Just wow.

You've read about Walt and studied his life? Amazing. So have others. I have as well.

Yet I wouldn't be brash enough to claim what he WOULD and WOULDN'T want almost 50 years after his death, and only knowing him through books, documentaries and interviews. Even his own family wouldn't be likely to be that brash. They might know him well enough to guess what she would have wanted BACK THEN, but that says nothing of 2012.

He built Disneyland in a very specific fashion to distance his park from the shady reputations of state fairs and carnivals. He was wildly successful and banning alcohol sales from the park definitely played a part in that.

Now it's 2012. Society has evolved in the 50 some odd years since Disneyland opened and that cliche of an amusement park being a dirty, unsafe, unwholesome place is not nearly as prevalent as it was in Walt's days. Today you CAN have a theme park what serves alcohol that still appears clean and wholesome.

So would Walt be OK with it? Nobody knows. I don't know. You don't know. You may THINK you know, but you don't.

In any case, no business is going to continue to prosper if they stubbornly hold on to 50 year old policies put in place by a CEO who has been dead for 40 years. You prosper by taking that founders spirit and philosophy and hold onto THAT. He wanted a wholesome, clean, family park and introducing wine to a sit down dinner in ONE location does not make the Magic Kingdom any less wholesome, clean, or family friendly.

As for your views, you're certainly entitled to them, but I'm entitled to their opposition. I'm not going to try and stop you from voicing your opinion, but I'm also not going to stop myself from debunking it and opposing it. If you take that as an attack, than so be it.

Side note: I hope for the sake of consistency that you're strongly opposed to the rest of Walt Disney World. After all, anybody who has studied him as much as you would know that WDW as it exists today is VERY different from that he had planned it to be, and if your problem is that this goes against Walt's wishes well... so does the rest of WDW.

Furthermore, your thoughts that this will lead to alcohol being all over the park is a fallacy. It's a slippery slope with no evidence to support it. In other words, it's entirely speculative. As is your assumption that a man (any man, not just Walt) wouldn't change their views on an issue over the course of half of a century.

Lastly, you're likely getting singled out because of the pompous nature of your posts. Acting like your word holds more weight because you've "studied" Walt (which I can only assume means you've read a lot of books and seen a lot of documentaries on him.) is what puts you in the sights of other posters.

I agree 100%. Really well said.

A lot of people share your thought on this.

Here is my thought:

Since BoG will serve alcohol on opening day, how will they know THAT is what causes the restaurant to be a success and not the fact that it is (presumably) a well themed restaurant with a good menu? If I heard correctly, dinner was booked solid through the end of the year before alcohol was even mentioned.

I really think they will look at the number from the alcohol sold during that time frame and say WOW! We got a chance to really increase the revenue for the park. I will bet within a year you will find other locations with alcohol available after the intial rollout.

Wow. Just wow.

You've read about Walt and studied his life? Amazing. So have others. I have as well.

Yet I wouldn't be brash enough to claim what he WOULD and WOULDN'T want almost 50 years after his death, and only knowing him through books, documentaries and interviews. Even his own family wouldn't be likely to be that brash. They might know him well enough to guess what she would have wanted BACK THEN, but that says nothing of 2012.

He built Disneyland in a very specific fashion to distance his park from the shady reputations of state fairs and carnivals. He was wildly successful and banning alcohol sales from the park definitely played a part in that.

Now it's 2012. Society has evolved in the 50 some odd years since Disneyland opened and that cliche of an amusement park being a dirty, unsafe, unwholesome place is not nearly as prevalent as it was in Walt's days. Today you CAN have a theme park what serves alcohol that still appears clean and wholesome.

So would Walt be OK with it? Nobody knows. I don't know. You don't know. You may THINK you know, but you don't.

In any case, no business is going to continue to prosper if they stubbornly hold on to 50 year old policies put in place by a CEO who has been dead for 40 years. You prosper by taking that founders spirit and philosophy and hold onto THAT. He wanted a wholesome, clean, family park and introducing wine to a sit down dinner in ONE location does not make the Magic Kingdom any less wholesome, clean, or family friendly.

As for your views, you're certainly entitled to them, but I'm entitled to their opposition. I'm not going to try and stop you from voicing your opinion, but I'm also not going to stop myself from debunking it and opposing it. If you take that as an attack, than so be it.

Side note: I hope for the sake of consistency that you're strongly opposed to the rest of Walt Disney World. After all, anybody who has studied him as much as you would know that WDW as it exists today is VERY different from that he had planned it to be, and if your problem is that this goes against Walt's wishes well... so does the rest of WDW.

Furthermore, your thoughts that this will lead to alcohol being all over the park is a fallacy. It's a slippery slope with no evidence to support it. In other words, it's entirely speculative. As is your assumption that a man (any man, not just Walt) wouldn't change their views on an issue over the course of half of a century.

Lastly, you're likely getting singled out because of the pompous nature of your posts. Acting like your word holds more weight because you've "studied" Walt (which I can only assume means you've read a lot of books and seen a lot of documentaries on him.) is what puts you in the sights of other posters.

No problem here at all. I feel he was very consistant in in this idea of no alcohol in the MK.........I just cannot beleive he would have changed his mind. And let face it the MK without alcohol has not had any problems with attendance!

As to the slippery slope, I do have proof, EPCOT opened with only alcohol in the table restuarents.....now it in carts...........ever been to the F and W during a weekend?....... it slowly becoming a throw back to the dirty parks you mentioned.

I enjoy a drink as much as the next guy..........so its not that I am againist alcohol..hell I have brewed my own beer.

As to the other parks I dont think Walt would have been againist it.........he enjoyed his scotch mists every night in the office! The other parks are not the MK though!

As to pompous; I never mentioned my knowledge of the man until I was mocked and attacked and told I cannot say that! Every time the alcohol question is discussed in the dis..some people who support it always have to attack and put down the people who do not!...........they make fun and snarky comments and chase them off the thread...I wont run!

This is not about anyone (at least anyone I saw) saying if you want a drink your a drunk! However people keep throwing that out!

Seems we can agree to disgree and agree, we can discuss our points!

AKK

Again I feel this will seriously change the MK, and is therefore a serious matter, so I will continue to offer my opinions. Please permit me my rights as I have not told you or anyone you cant have your opinion.

AKK

No. You just like to tell other people how to state their opinion.

I can't wait to drag my kids in by their leashes to start this all night chug-fest....I wonder if I can take my resort refillable mug and use it for refills on all this beer and wine I plan on guzzling.

I plan to get good and tanked and then head on over to the Haunted Mansion to do a little flash photography...then maybe after it's all said and done and I'm still good and lit...I'll do a little late night resort pool hopping...with my refillable mug in hand of course....yay freeeeeeee soda!

Now if only they would make Disney World Adults Only...then we'd be in business!

I think I'll send an email suggesting that.

My only problem with the whole thing is this, and it is my opinion of what I think will happen. I forsee that the BOG will be very successful due to the alcohol.The higher ups will notice this success and they will want more success/money. Thus more establishments will serve, and more and more alcohol will be present at the kingdom. I don't think that is a good thing. Once the first one opens it all starts! Now remember this is just my hypothosis!

I would say this http://www.garlikov.com/philosophy/slope.htm

Here's an excerpt:" The slippery slope argument is clearly invalid if it is meant to be a point of logic, for it does not follow that "if b is an exception to A, then no part of A is true." Specific exceptions to a rule or principle do not in any way logically imply that the rule is otherwise false or never justifiably applicable in any cases. In fact, calling something an "exception" points out that only it is the relevant act that the rule does not cover. If, for example, a pharmaceutical drug should be used only by people who have asthma, that does not imply people should also take it for arthritis or pregnancy. Permitting stem cell research on embryos does not logically imply that sacrificing infants or terminally ill patients is acceptable."

minnie mum said:
So what's next- champagne at CRT? Chianti at Tony's? Bud Light at the Plaza?
Honey mead at Crystal Palace? I am NOT pleased with this turn of events at all. :sad2:

One can only hope!

I can't wait to drag my kids in by their leashes to start this all night chug-fest....I wonder if I can take my resort refillable mug and use it for refills on all this beer and wine I plan on guzzling.

I plan to get good and tanked and then head on over to the Haunted Mansion to do a little flash photography...then maybe after it's all said and done and I'm still good and lit...I'll do a little late night resort pool hopping...with my refillable mug in hand of course....yay freeeeeeee soda!

Now if only they would make Disney World Adults Only...then we'd be in business!

Let me know when you do this so my friends and I can rent scooters to accompany you in your quest. :rotfl2:

I'm fine with all of that. But if you go into the Bear Jamboree or Tiki Room and don't move all the way to the end of the row, I will have security on you like white on rice!

Walt also never wanted Carousel of Progress closed. Guess now it's doomed:(

It's like rotten shows on TV - if you don't like it, change the channel. I myself do not drink. That's my choice. Do I care if others have wine or a beer for dinner? Not at all. As long as the booze stays at BOG I wouldn't worry about MK turning into a raging frat party 24/7.

But this is still a precedent and a slippery slope lies ahead.

Don't forget to stand up on some rides whilst taking those flash photos. :cool1:

iluvwdw4ever said:
I am very unhappy with this decision!!!!! I'm sure it won't be long until they allow alcohol throughout the entire park. Not looking forward to dealing with the drunks in the MK like we have to at Epcot during the Food and Wine Festival!!!!! This is not something that I should have to worry about in a Disney park!!!!! :furious:

I've never seen anyone out of control drunk at the food and wine festival, however, I hope to be one of them in two weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter