Alcatraz

Muddy Rivers

DIS Veteran
We are planning a morning trip to Alcatraz. Are there multiple companies offering tansportation to the island? If so, are there any that are more desirable to use than others?

Thanks, this is a first trip to the SF area and this is all new to us.

:)

I don't know the answer to that, but just a comment. It is COLD in San Francisco whenever you go. We went and had to buy jackets because we thought it would be warm. Wear jackets, especially on the boat to Alcatraz!

Thank you for the heads up. I'll make sure to bring sweatshirts/jackets with us. We are going in mid June.

It's been many, many years since I lived there and went on the Alcatraz tour. But it always was the case (and I assume still is) that there's only one company that offers the tour. Alcatraz is a National Park, and the tour operator is the official concessionair for the service.

And yes, bring sweatshirts and jackets. San Francisco's reputation for being cold ("coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco") is due to the fog rolling in through the Golden Gate. And once it comes in through the Golden Gate, guess what's the first point of land it hits...

-Bob

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/index.aspx

We went to Alcatraz last spring, this is who we used. Be warned, the ferry is not in Fishermans Wharf, it is a 5-10 minute or so walk to Pier 33 where the tour begins/ends.

We bought CityPasses and used the Alcatraz option, it was the most economical way to access the sights we wanted to visit.

Make sure you don't wait til the last minute to get your tour tickets, they sell out quickly.

Have a great time and yes, take lots of layers, the wind can be very very chilly!

Thanks so much for the info. We will get our tickets soon for mid June.

Any idea if there is parking near Pier 33 or would it be best to park near Fisherman's wharf? We are headed in from our hotel near Sausalito so we will have a car with us.

Any idea if there is parking near Pier 33 or would it be best to park near Fisherman's wharf? We are headed in from our hotel near Sausalito so we will have a car with us.

The most convenient parking is probably the garage for Pier 39. It should be only about a 3 block walk down the Embarcadero from there.

The link I posted also shows parking options - warning, the parking is expensive!:scared1: I think the one at Pier 39 taps out at $35 for the day

It probably doesn't matter matter if you are going to be wandering around the pier area and wharf in the end you will make a loop.

Though there is a huge garage along Beach St(that runs east to west. I think that might be what Grandbob was referring to.

Have you looked at the citypass mentioned above? It covers most of the best SF sites. http://www.citypass.com/san-francisco/alcatraz

Notice that Alcatraz should be planned well in advance because it can sell out, days and weeks in advance.

If you are staying at a hotel in S.F., you might want to drop off your car at the hotel, then walk or take public transportation to Pier 33.

Woody

Think about leaving your car in Sausalito and ferrying over.

went in early may and parked at the Fort Mason. It was 8$/ day (weekday) but it's a 20-25 min walk to pier 33. A nice walk along water, Musée Maritime, Fisherman's wharf. If you're interested, look on a map before to know where to go.

And book the early bird if you can be there in the morning.

We bought our tickets online. Be there at least 10-20 min before the boat leave!

And if you have kids, ask for the junior ranger program for a free badge! (at ranger station on the island)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter