Alaskan Cruises as a Canadian

SteamBoatShelly

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone!

So my family and I are going on an Alaskan cruise later in August and i was wondering if any other Canadians have been on it. How was the weather for you? I've heard from many people that it's "cold" but im thinking that since we're used to the cold it really shouldnt be that bad....

Any thoughts on that? And also did you like it more than a Caribbean cruise?

Thanks!

I haven't been on a cruise before but my mom has done two Alaskan cruises, both near the end of summer. Yep, it wasn't super warm, but the scenery was fantastic so she said it was worth it to be up on deck with a sweater on (or coat when it was raining), not to miss seeing a thing.

Which part of Canada are you from?

I live in Northern BC. August is generally the warmest month of the year. Daytime temps can reach 30-40C, but average in the low 20s. Of course you also have to factor in the difference in climate on the water. Expect warm days, but cooler temps (10-20C) in the evenings or in the wind. Sunrises are around 5-6am and sunsets are around 9-10pm at this time of year when you get to the more northern half of the route.

I went to Alaska last year (not DCL) the first week of Sept and I always had to wear a jacket. Also on the glacier day or if you do the railroad/bus tour in Skagway where you go up the mountain it is very cold. I had a t-shirt, hoodie, jacket, gloves and a hat on. I also never wore shorts/capris/sandals.

So in short, yes parts of your trip will be cold. It's always better to over pack then under pack and freeze.

I also brought boots, water proof pants/jacket & umbrella. It rains alot in Alaska:goodvibes

We were on the June 10 cruise, the weather was perfect. We dressed in layers no need for heavy coats. In Sitka we bought great jackets for $20 (fleece wind breakers) so if you find you are cold you can always buy warm souvenirs. We didn't have rain which is unusual for Alaska so bring rain gear. The ship was warm, I wore flip flops most of the time.

I did the June 1st from Vancouver last year with HAL. We had the most amazing weather imaginable for Alaska. It wasn't typical, but will give you an idea to pack for anything!!

We were able to suntan on deck in bathing suits, and our day at the Glacier was definitely cooler, but only wearing a sweatshirt was perfect. We never once had to pull out jackets (what a waste of luggage space for us). We came home incredibly tanned:rotfl2: Who know, from a 'winter' like vacation.

While we were there, the guides kept laughing, insisting that the weather was completely out of the norm. We did not have a drop of rain the entire cruise (except for departing from 1 port one night, that lasted about 30 min, just a slight drizzle).

Hope you have fantastic weather!!!

We went on the very first cruise of the season and the weather was perfect! May was great.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards

Can I hijack this thread slightly and ask that for those of you who have been on an Alaskan cruise, did you book a balcony and did you think it was worthwhile to do so (i.e. was the weather decent enough that you would find yourself sitting on the balcony)?

Can I hijack this thread slightly and ask that for those of you who have been on an Alaskan cruise, did you book a balcony and did you think it was worthwhile to do so (i.e. was the weather decent enough that you would find yourself sitting on the balcony)?

Yes, DCL Alaska was our first cruise. We booked a Navigators Verandah ... Lowest (cheapest) balcony category, but great for Alaska since it is more closed in than a regular one ... more protected from the wind.

We loved it and used it often, it was great to step out first thing in the morning to check the weather and to watch us come into port. A member of my travel party was worried about feeling claustrophobic, so that is why we originally booked a balcony - it ended up being a non-issue, but we liked having it.

As for the OPs original question, we cruised in midAugust, and while it was not cold, it was not really shorts weather either. If i recall the temps were 10-15ish *C during the day Most days i wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt, light sweatshirt on deck, and rainjacket on most excursions.

I come from a northern Ontario mining town, so - with the exception of the glaciers - the scenery and small town vibes felt very familiar to me. That said, it was an amazing vacation all around, and definitely worth it in my opinion.

If you're travelling with more than 2 of you in the cabin, then it is great to have a balcony just as extra space. We have had a balcony the last 3 times we went to Alaska and I did spend a fair amount of time out there reading. If you select a cruise going to Glacier Bay you will really enjoy the balcony that day. It is beautiful and you can't believe the colour of the water. Being from BC I resisted going to Alaska for a long time because I thought it would look like BC and it does to a point, but it is also beautiful. We're going again at the end of August because it is just do easy to get on a ship here in Vancouver, and its such a relaxing vacation.

Regarding weather, we have had sunshine and rain. It depends. Accuweather is your friend:)

We did Disney Wonder to Alaska end of July into first week of August. It was chillier than I liked. 8 year old in pool only 2 days (first and last). I also found the scenery pretty much like what we see right here on Vancouver Island. Caribbean anytime.... As a matter of fact going next year. Have fun.

Just back from a land tour and 7 night Alaskan cruise Whittier to Vancouver and the weather was amazing! I actually have a tan lol...it was high 70's low 80's every day! One morning (Ketchikan) was overcast but by noon it had cleared. Amazing for us, not so for the general environment there.

We have done the Alaska cruise and just loved it! My husband is Haida, and in every port we met some family members! You need to dress in layers, and bring a jacket and a sweatshirt if you are going to go in any of the glaciers. Bring pants, and your swimsuit as well. One of the most amazing experiences was being outside in the hot tub and then seeing polar bears while we were sitting there. Hope you have a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter