Alaskan cruise

Has anyone booked a Disney Alaskan cruise yet? Any thoughts on the itinerary, or whether you'd be better off on a Princess Cruise, which seems to know Alaska inside and out? Any comments out there that might help me out?

Haven't booked a Disney Alaskan cruise. We would love to take our kids to Alaska on a cruise in a couple of years but think we'll try another Cruise line for that trip. DH and I went on an Alaskan Princess cruise several years ago. It was a one way out of Vancouver. We then spent a week on our own exploring Anchorage and surrounding area including a plane ride over Mt. McKinley. If you can swing it, a one way trip is awesome as there is so much to see on a "land tour". We did go in late May and THAT was considered early for Alaska. Other than wanting to do a one way itinerary and the glacier viewing as mentioned previous, my other concern is just the layout of the Disney ships. Specifically, no indoor pools as most of the newer ships have that go to Alaska. I think my kids would be a little disappointed if they couldn't swim in the pools. Sure, they COULD, but it wouldn't be all that comfortable. They also don't spend much time in the kids clubs so that's also not an issue for us. We've been wanting to try another cruise line with the kids and think Alaska would be the best time to try it. If we were doing the Caribbean or Mexico, we would worry about too much of a "party" atmosphere but that's not usually an issue for Alaska. In fact, I don't remember seeing but one or two very young children on our cruise on Princess and we were by far some of the youngest people on the cruise (at the time we were in our early 30's).

We are booked with DCL to go to Alaska 6/21. But, I am seriously thinking about canceling it and doing a combination of DIY Alaska land tour and a 7-day one-way cruise with Princess.

Two things are causing me to re-think cruising Alaska with DCL in 2011. First, we really would like to spend time in Denali and Seward and DCL's round-trip itinerary out of Vancouver doesn't work with that. Second, glacier viewing is a high priority for us and Princess's southbound cruise goes to both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay, while DCL only goes to Tracy Arm where you may or may not make it to the glaciers at the head of the fjord.

I have heard and read many positive reviews of Princess's Alaska cruises, including their kids clubs. So, while we love cruising with DCL, I think that DCL just won't be a good fit for us for Alaska next year. I'm waiting for Princess to release their 2011 Alaska itinieraries and prices this spring before making the final decision

I think they will be tweaking the itineraries. We went on the inaugural Med, and a couple of the ports were real duds. They are no longer stopping in those ports two years later.

Often, they do whatever they can to get their foot in the door, and tweak the ports they stop in as they become available for another ship to stop there. I know their are laws and restrictions about how many ships can be viewing any one fjord in a given period of time.

Again, if you really want to do it with DCL's, and want the ultimate Alaskan cruise, give it a little time, they'll get the kinks worked out. If you want to go to Alaska this year, go with a cruise line that has their route established, and sees what you want to see.

Yes, I do think Disney is trying to get their foot in the door and needs to take what they can. You've got to start somewhere.

I've read that next year many of the lines are supposedly cutting back on Alaskan cruises. So, this may open up areas where Disney can get in and have a better intinerary the following year. Lacks of ships may also increase pricing.

Yes, at least, I have a deposit down on the first cruise by Disney from Vancouver, B.C. to Alaska. I also have a deposit down on the repo cruse from L.A. to Vancouver, so this will be my first B2B.

I've been on seven cruises with Disney. Never regretted it, Thus, I don't see any reason to regret this one. Anyway I like maiden voyages, as it's always something new for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter